• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Setting out on my first Camino in April. A few days in Paris, then taking the train to Bayonne and the Express Bourricot to SJPP. Intend to start Stage 1 on 21 April. Have allowed six weeks, but will go day by day.

Question about pack weight to body weight ratio: I am in what distance runners in the US call "Clydesdale Class" -- 6'2" and 95+ kg. In good health and I do cardio conditioning. My gear now weighs in at 10-15% of my body weight, which seems in line with guidelines I find on thru-hiker sites. Any opinions about that as I refine my final pack list?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi cynwhite,
I’m also 6’2” and weigh about 86+/- kgs. My first Camino, which was last April, I was concerned about weather and kit, etc…. and carried additional items. I practiced comfortably with a 15kg backpack, and did the first five or so days on the Camino, with a 13kg pack. Although manageable for me, I did find the weight wearing more each day, and my knees started to ache. I dropped the weight to 10kgs and found a considerable difference.

This year, I’ll be doing a partial Camino from Burgos to Santiago and have posted my kit list for review: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-kit-list-half-camino-frances-april-2014-burgos-santiago.23861/#post-183154

I’ll be walking with a weight of 8.6 kgs and feel extremely comfortable with my pack and it’s weight.

My advice is, a) ensure your pack is comfortable for your size, b) pack essential items only, keeping your weight as low as possible, and c) use 2 walking sticks! Anything you find you may need during your walk and don’t have, can be purchased along the route.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the helpful post, DavidsRetired. I did have the pack fitted and it is comfortable even when fully loaded. My pack list is close to yours, but you've given me some ideas of how to scale back even more. Within that effort, I also like your 3-shoe approach. Thought about using Crocs as shower/casual wear, but I don't see wearing them around town will work for me for either comfort or safety. Will see what I can come with in addition to foam sandals for the shower. Dual walking sticks ready to go. Cheers!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi from New Zealand my Camino started May 2013 after reading about the Camino del Norte.
ticket now booked and we leave 16th May 2014 for Paris, travel by train to San Sebastion then start the walk to Santiago ,
so looking forward to the Camino experience , Boot & backpack purchased now counting down the days
To those pilgrims walking the northern route late May & June we look forward to meeting up with you during our adventure
Buen Camino
Hi Mazgirl, My friend and I will be starting the Norte from Irun on 20th May so may meet you along the way.
Only three months to go now, can't wait!

I hope I am now officially in the class of 2014. I have booked a flight from Vancouver on April 10, but will spend time in Burgos first. Now I am thinking of doing a side trip to Santa Domingo de Silos. At this rate might not make forward progress until April 23.

All this from someone who joined the forum in 2008, and I think hoped to be in every "class" at some point. This time is the time I hope.

Looking forward to meeting many of you as you pass me!

Lynda

Hi cynwhite,
I’m also 6’2” and weigh about 86+/- kgs. My first Camino, which was last April, I was concerned about weather and kit, etc…. and carried additional items. I practiced comfortably with a 15kg backpack, and did the first five or so days on the Camino, with a 13kg pack. Although manageable for me, I did find the weight wearing more each day, and my knees started to ache. I dropped the weight to 10kgs and found a considerable difference.

This year, I’ll be doing a partial Camino from Burgos to Santiago and have posted my kit list for review: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-kit-list-half-camino-frances-april-2014-burgos-santiago.23861/#post-183154

I’ll be walking with a weight of 8.6 kgs and feel extremely comfortable with my pack and it’s weight.

My advice is, a) ensure your pack is comfortable for your size, b) pack essential items only, keeping your weight as low as possible, and c) use 2 walking sticks! Anything you find you may need during your walk and don’t have, can be purchased along the route.

Cheers,
Dave

I found New Balance Minimum shoes that weight only 400 grams. So I will have my hiking boots, my wife's flip flops (they are small but they weight less than mine and we will share) and and the New Balance. Nike also makes ultralight shoes, they are the Barefoot line. I selected the New Balance because they make wide sizes.
I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Soory my last post was meant for cynwhite... wrong quote

Hello there!
I just found this forum and decided to join straight away.
I plan to walk in September/October 2014 and would love to hear from anyone else planning to walk at that time.
I live in Perth, Australia, but was born and grew up in Denmark.

Hello there!
I plan to walk in September/October 2014 and would love to hear from anyone else planning to walk at that time.
Hi there ... welcome to the forum. Great people and great advice here! I'm walking September/October as well. Flying into London 4 September. Hoping to walk from Roncesvalles or Pamplona depending on time. Will be slow .... 10 - 15k a day. Taking my time cause I've got the luxury of having 3 months leave from work. Cheers, Trish.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there ... welcome to the forum. Great people and great advice here! I'm walking September/October as well. Flying into London 4 September. Hoping to walk from Roncesvalles or Pamplona depending on time. Will be slow .... 10 - 15k a day. Taking my time cause I've got the luxury of having 3 months leave from work. Cheers, Trish.
Thanks Trish! I won't be able to start until around the 24th or so. I hope to walk 20-25k per day but that won't be fast enough to catch you. I also hope to take a day off every now and then to enjoy the experience. I am also fortunate to have the time. Aren't we lucky :)

Thanks Trish! I won't be able to start until around the 24th or so. I hope to walk 20-25k per day but that won't be fast enough to catch you. I also hope to take a day off every now and then to enjoy the experience. I am also fortunate to have the time. Aren't we lucky :)
Yep we sure are lucky! And don't be too sure about not catching me! .... I am definitely taking my time! Hope the heat's not making your training too miserable .... wonderful temperatures in Christchurch .... not!

I am finalizing plans to begin my Camino on/about April 8,2014 from St. Jean. I have been planning this for several years and an unexpected gift of early retirement has made it possible. Leaving from Kimball, NE USA and looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,

After lurking around the forum on and off for a number of years now (yes, that long!), I have finally joined up today. I think it took me so long as I am great at making plans, but not so good on the follow through...so whilst I said I was going to walk the Camino, and I intended to, I never really trusted that I wouldn't just find an excuse to back out. And I didn't want everyone here to witness that if I did. So I finally joined today, as I feel at last that I am fully committed to this, and won't let myself down by letting another plan fall by the wayside! I bought my flights a few months ago, but still didn't trust that I would actually walk the Camino - I am quitting my job and travelling on after I finish my Camino, so at that point it still felt like I might change my mind at any time and just holiday in Spain instead. But I have slowly been starting to buy my gear, and yesterday I bought two hiking poles, and it was that that finally made this feel like a reality!

So, all going to plan, I will start the Camino Frances (hopefully from SJPdP, as this has always felt like the starting point for my Camino, but maybe Roncesvalles - I am overweight, and unfit, so uncertain of my ability to get over that mountain in the first two days of walking), in early April! I have no set plan for how long I will take, only that I fly out of Madrid mid June - so I will take it very easy at the start, and if it takes me that whole time to walk to SdC and on to Finisterre and Muxia, that is fine. And if I walk quicker than that, then I get bonus holiday time in Spain :)

Hope to see some of you on the path!

Planning to start from St. Jean about April 8th, maybe we will meet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago de Compostela this year, from 24 April to 29 May. Perhaps I met some of you. If I did perhaps you would re-introduce yourself to me so we can re-connect. I met dozens of wonderful, interesting people form all over the world, and provided my contact information to several. However, there are many people who, in retrospect, I should have obtained contact information for - perfect hindsight.

During this, my first Camino, I had serious problems with my feet (infected heel calluses) that eventually required a minor operation in a podiatrist's office in Brugos. Unfortunately, accommodating my feet compelled me to use ALSA buses to "leap-frog a couple of bits of the Camino that I was unable to walk. So, I intend to return in April 2014 to do it again. I promised myself I would keep at it until I got it right. For me this means walking the entire distance.

My wife thinks I am being silly. But for me it is a matter of principle. Besides, I've become a "Camino Junkie." Part of me is on a perpetual Camino and I think of it every day. My life is now broken into two segments "Before Camino," and "After Camino." My wife is very understand and is rolling with this, even though she remains at home.

So, I am posting this for two reasons:

1. If you were on the Camino from 24 April to 29 May and remember me, please PM me and provide contact information if you would like to reconnect. My name is Tom. I am from Virginia in the U.S.

I wore a green/grey Osprey Talon 48 rucksack. When it rained I wore "Zippy" the full body condom - my name for the red Ferrino trekking raincoat I bought in St. Jean. I used two trekking poles and I also wore plain Vittel two water bottles clipped to my sternum harness.

If this does not make the connection perhaps my giving fleece gaitor hats to people who had none, or fixing broken trekking poles and rucksack straps, among other things might jog one's memory.

2. As I am getting ready to do this again, starting in mid-to-late April 2014 from St. Jean, I am reaching out to anyone who might be interested in forming a loose association or informal group. Everyone brings something special and unique to a group and to the shared experience of a Camino. Forming a "Camino Family" is something that one remembers for their lifetime. I am merely reaching out to form mine early...for the next Camino. Again, as above, please PM me on this forum and I will respond.
I will be in St. Jean about April 8...coming from Nebraska .....

I just saw the movie "The Way" and have been inspired ever since. I am planning my pilgrimage starting on my 58th birthday (8/31/14) I can't wait!!

I have a friend that says she would do it with me, but the more I think about it, I would like to do it on my own. She's a much faster walker than I am. Maybe we can walk seperately and meet up at the end of the day? We have two years to figure it out.

I've started telling my friends and I'm getting mixed reviews. (I'm over weight and that worries my friends) But like I said, I have two years to get into shape, get my knee's working better and prepare for my journey.

I'm so inspired by the posts I have read so far on here. This is a great blog!!

Teri

I have been wanting to do this since I met a fellow secular Franciscan who has done it twice. As I train around my small town I get many inquiries and when I explain the reactions are "mixed" also. They range from "that is SO COOL!" to " you are (expletive deleted) crazy!". So it goes.... My former students, my family, and my wife are extremely supportive and that matters most! Our family motto is "Don't let the practical interfere with the possible"; leaving Nebraska on April 5th.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Everyone,

My name is Maarten and I am from Queensland, Australia. Initiated by the wish to do something special to celebrate my wife Josephine’s 50th birth year in 2014, we decided that we will walk the Camino de Santiago in April-May 2014. Our Camino will start in St Jean Pied de Port in France.

We are originally from the Netherlands and emigrated in 1999 to Australia. We live close to Bundaberg, 380km north of Brisbane. Josephine's parents (who live in the Netherlands) walked the Camino several times. In 1995 her father walked from Le Puy to SdC at the age of 63. So he is a great inspiration for me. The language shouldn't be a problem because my wife speaks fluently French and she is reasonable well in Spanish. I enjoy the stories on this website and to learn from experiences from other travellers.

In 2013 our focus is … walking, walking and more walking… To get our Mind, Body and Spirit ready for our Camino.

We look forward to meet some of you in April/May 2014.

Buen Camino,
Maarten

I am starting from St. Jean in mid-April. I noticed your post because we had an exchange student from the Netherlands who lived with us for a year. Since then she has visited us once and we visited here in the Netherlands. We might see each other along the Way!

I love this thread! It is so inspiring to read everyone's stories. I will travel next year with my hubby. I am overweight, out of shape and have been practice walking. I live in NYC with no car so I am no stranger to walking--everywhere. But long distance is thoperative word here. I have had several 7 mile walks at the beach, along the blvd and it has been surprisingly easy. I wear my boots to make sure they are broken in and no pack yet. I love walking in my city! I am exhilarated as I know this art is just as much my camino as will be the actual spain trip. I meet people, I stop and look at my surroundings with new eyes. I bring along my rosary and pray, have quite a prayer list and just remember them all! I want to live life as a pilgrim, each day. I want to live in gratitude.

Buen CAMINO all!
I also was training at home and thought that it was easy. Up the mountains with a backpack is not easy. I found that I was helped along by the power of The Holy Spirit.

Hello there!
Hi Ozviking
Feel free to join our WA camino group on 23rd Feb see calendar . Friendly and informative.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello All,

Leaving Dallas, Texas on 1 April 2014 for hike on the Camino. Have made plans to fly to London and take Eurostar train to Paris where I will transfer to TGV for trip down to Biarittz and go over to SJPP next morning.

See you all on the Path

Hi All, I got the thumbs up yesterday and it is official (I have been longing to say this for a long time) I will be on the way again in May!! Yay!! This will be my 3rd time on the CF. I was toying for a while to follow the tunel route but I am not to sure that I want to do that solo. I am planning though to walk the camino invierno from Ponferrada, hopefully I will have a camino walking partner by then to join me! Can't wait - six glorious weeks!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've booked my trains plus Hotel in Paris and Alberques in St Jean and Orisson for 23rd May onwards. Hopefully finally able to find the courage to tackle the Pyrenees and then onward to Santiago. Hope the weather is kinder than last year (I did Pamplona to Burgos in March/April. From a nervous but excited
Annie

Hi Trish and Ozviking
I'll be walking the del Salvador and then the Primitivo in late September and October. We may converge near to Santiago - you never know. I'll be taking each day as it comes.
Mary

Hello there!
Hey Ozviking

I am planning on beginning in SJPD around September 23rd. Coming from Boston, MA. Hope to celebrate my 55th in SDC on October 30th. All the best to you in your planning for the Camino. I'm having a blast getting ready and staying close with this forum. It is very inspirational.

Maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino...........Michael

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Trish and Ozviking
I'll be walking the del Salvador and then the Primitivo in late September and October. We may converge near to Santiago - you never know. I'll be taking each day as it comes.
Mary
That would be great Mary. I'll look out for you.
Lene
Hey Ozviking

I am planning on beginning in SJPD around September 23rd. Coming from Boston, MA. Hope to celebrate my 55th in SDC on October 30th. All the best to you in your planning for the Camino. I'm having a blast getting ready and staying close with this forum. It is very inspirational.

Maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino...........Michael
Hi Michael
I may be a week later and I don't expect to catch you - but you never know :) My dates are not yet finalised.

Going to hit Caminho PortuguĂŞs, fom Ponte de Lima, arriving at the 24th of March, start walking at the 25th!

Best Regards
Diogo

Our flight gets into Madrid on Sept 24th , train to Pomplona then over to St Jean either the 24th or 25th ,, depending on our jet lag we will start on the 25th or 26th. I'm guessing we will cross paths , look for 3 pilgrims , one of which , our 25 yr old son , who will be no doubt carrying us other two .. See you on the walk Ozviking , ask for Arkansas , I don't think there's to many Arkansans there

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's official,I just made plane reservations from Stockholm to Biarritz, arriving in SJPDP 3 April. A couple of weeks ago my pt said I have to start exercising, she wanted me to walk 30 mins a day. But I couldn't get round to it until I realized I need a goal. And what better goal than the Camino Frances, that I've dreamed of for so long? So I just started training 2 weeks ago, going from coach potato to… well a little less couchy =) Due to pinched nerves in both feet I don't know how fast I'll go, or how far I'll get, so I'll take my time. But I find it interesting how different we all are, most people seem to plan this kind of thing long in advance, probably a good thing, at least it gives you an opportunity to get in shape. I'll have to do that on the Camino.

Hope to meet many of you on out there!

Hello from Colorado!
We will be just a few days ahead of you. My wife and I will be departing from SJPDP on 28March14. We have allotted 45 days, so perhaps we will meet along the way. Anyone else leaving toward the end of March? Buen Camino!
Hello from Colorado!
We will be just a few days ahead of you. My wife and I will be departing from SJPDP on 28March14. We have allotted 45 days, so perhaps we will meet along the way. Anyone else leaving toward the end of March? Buen Camino!
I will be starting March 27 with a friend from Pamplona we are 66 + 76 so you will see us for sure. I hope so Hilda and Harriet

Namaste,

It would appear that I am new to this thread and new to my own camino, as I leave in less than two weeks having booked it six weeks ago!!! Now I worry that I have not prepared enough, however, as I am planning on being a little different with my camino then my prep time or lack of it shall be no exception.

I land in Bilbao on the 25 February. I take off from Santiago on the 8th April. This is all I know at the moment. My understanding of the camino is that it is a journey of discovery and not one of getting from A-B. So I shall not be approaching it that way.

I am a seasoned walker, but perhaps the biggest thing is that I document and focus on where I am and have been not where I am going. Yes that is correct, no maps. I have found that this way I discover things I may have missed and my best photographs come from unexpected detours. (I think I can hear you all cringing nooooooooo!). A little reassurance in that I almost always end up in the place I am meant to be. I will be blogging my camino along with my pictures on RaggletaggleCamino.

Like I said I am a seasoned walker. I currently live on the edge of the Pennines in Yorkshire (think of the Bronte's, Last of the Summer Wine, Vet's practice or Kes for an idea) and I am more than used to a little rain / mud / snow / wind / ice all the same time.

That said I am terrified that I have overstepped my own capabilities this time and even my blister proof socks cannot save me. Do we need to take our own sleeping bag? I hope not as mine is 2kg. I've read somewhere that a good nights sleep is the best thing on the camino so ear plugs are bought already.

If you are on your Camino during these dates and you see a northern lady wondering around in the reverse direction with a camera then do say hello.

Wishing you a safe and enriching (and good) Camino.

Samantha
xxx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albergues require you to have either a liner or sleeping bag. If you don't wish to bring one, you can stay in other accommodation.

Buen camino!

I take off from Santiago on the 8th April. My understanding of the camino is that it is a journey of discovery and not one of getting from A-B. So I shall not be approaching it that way.
I am a seasoned walker, but perhaps the biggest thing is that I document and focus on where I am and have been not where I am going. Yes that is correct, no maps.
I will be blogging my camino along with my pictures on RaggletaggleCamino.
Do we need to take our own sleeping bag? I hope not as mine is 2kg.

Samantha

Hello Samantha, you will probably overtake me on the way, since I am slow and can't walk far each day. I used to be an avid walker, but haven't walked much lately because of my foot problems.

I think you have the right idea about the camino. The goal isn't Santiago, it is the journey. Since I love maps I will bring one, but I also hope I won't be too tired to make detours. Or take photos!

I ordered a sleeping bag from Amazon, light and small (I hope, didn't receive it yet)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077KP3YE/?tag=casaivar-21
also not too expensive, in case I need to ditch it. There are cheaper ones, but they wouldn't send to Sweden. I also have a cotton liner, so can use both if it's cold, or just the liner if it is hot.

Do you have a link for your blog? I can't find it.

Ulla

Edit 20 Feb:
The sleeping bag turned out to be as light as promised, but also much smaller - it was supposed to fit a person 190 cm tall, but it was too short for me, and I'm 179 cm. It might be ok if you're 160-165 cm, but no more.

Last edited:
Our flight gets into Madrid on Sept 24th , train to Pomplona then over to St Jean either the 24th or 25th ,, depending on our jet lag we will start on the 25th or 26th. I'm guessing we will cross paths , look for 3 pilgrims , one of which , our 25 yr old son , who will be no doubt carrying us other two .. See you on the walk Ozviking , ask for Arkansas , I don't think there's to many Arkansans there
Ohh it will be close. I now expect to start walking from St Jean on the 28th. Depending on how slow :) you are and how fast I am we could meet up somewhere. I plan to stick two small flags on the back of my pack - one Danish and one Australian - so you should be able to spot me and say G'day. Lene

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey DeadFred,

I will be starting the Camino around the same time. Not sure how I'm getting to SJPD yet, but hope to start around 9/25 or 9/26. Between your Arkansas accent and my Boston accent, I'm not sure the local Spaniards will think we're speaking the same language :) Enjoy your preparation over the next few months. Hope to see you on the Camino! Tenga un buen dia...............Michael

Hey DeadFred,

I will be starting the Camino around the same time. Not sure how I'm getting to SJPD yet, but hope to start around 9/25 or 9/26. Between your Arkansas accent and my Boston accent, I'm not sure the local Spaniards will think we're speaking the same language :) Enjoy your preparation over the next few months. Hope to see you on the Camino! Tenga un buen dia...............Michael

Hi Michael! The best way to get to SJPD from Bean Town is by plane :) , I'm flying from Dallas to Madrid then a train to Pomplona grab some ZZZZs then off to St Jean via Roncesvalles. If I win the lottery before I leave Dallas I will take a cab to St Jean from Madrid . Sounds like we might bump into each other , if that happens first cafe' is on me .

Que las probabilidades para siempre en su favor..Buen Camino

DeadFred ( Joe )

Hey Joe

Sounds great. My wife and I are actually thinking about celebrating our 25th anniversary in Barcelona or Marbella a bit earlier with her flying back home as I trek out to SJPD. That will determine my route to SJPD. I hope you're having fun preparing for this. I know I am. Enjoy!

Vere a ustedes en Septiembre..............Miguel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well it's all booked and sorted, my Camino starts on the 3rd of May. Now I have butterflies!!

Hello fellow Pilgrims! My name is Father Moses, I am a Byzantine Catholic monk in St. Nazianz WI USA (Holy Resurrection Monastery). I am planning to start my camino at the beginning of September.

Hope to meet some of you along the road!

God bless.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello fellow Pilgrims! My name is Father Moses, I am a Byzantine Catholic monk in St. Nazianz WI USA (Holy Resurrection Monastery). I am planning to start my camino at the beginning of September.

God bless.
Monk Moses. Welcome on the forum.

Flights booked for Thursday 5th June, landing in Santiago, then the 4.10 pm bus to Lugo for the night, 8.30 am bus on Friday to Sarria and then taxi to Triacastela with Samos being our Friday destination for an easy 1st day on the C.F.
Bringing along for the company Wendy who has previously walked Sarria to Santiago with me, my regular hiking companion Rosa Murray and my cousin Catherina O'Sullivan both 1st time peregrinos.
Hope to see a few of you along the way.

€149,-

God bless.
Hi there Monk Moses .... I'm starting 7th September so may see you along the way. Happy training!! Trish

Ready, only two weeks to go. Cannot wait. Flying out of Toronto March 3 and starting in Roncesvalles on the 6th, first day of lent. Planning to get to Santiago for Good Friday and stay there for Easter Sunday. Backpack is ready. Hope to meet some of you in el camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all from SF bay area. Hoping to be on the Camino end of September early October. As of now expect to start walking in Sarria since we have limited time....but it will be time well spent so we are looking forward to it!

OK, I'll add my name here. I will be leaving early April 2014 and not flying home again until June 2. Hey, why rush a trip to Spain. Planning on doing Frances and Finnisterre. I have done other long distance trails in US as long section hiker - AT, PCT and half of CDT. I am 72. Slower and slower as the years go by but still completing trails. I will have a journal on Trailjournals.com under trail name of Medicare Pastor. (Don't have this year's journal up yet though.)

Hello! My name is Tisha, from Alaska. I'm shooting to walk the camino in late september or early october. This wlll be my first journey to spain, and also abroad. I'm a rather younge pilgram at 22. I would love to hear about the journeys of those of you who have already walked. Also any tips and words from the wise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Tisha

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I first planned doing the camino in May, but I will now do it starting in 28th July from ST Jean. Is it really busy at that time and how is the weather?

Hello,

I first planned doing the camino in May, but I will now do it starting in 28th July from ST Jean. Is it really busy at that time and how is the weather?
Hot, hot, hot. August is hot. Especially on the meseta. Travel light. Keep hydrated. Don't worry about the crowds, take a mat and sleep outside!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HI everybody from Class 2014!! And all future,present and past Pelegrinos!
Me and my husband will attempted walk our Camino Frances s Year ,autum (first two weeks of September) It so uplifting reading how many Classmates We will have! ;-) We both very excited about this pilgrimage,looking forward and try prepare our self already(often walks,excerscises,etc)This forum is absolutley amazing Treasure Cave with all informations(even more)beautiful histories,testimonies,photos,etc Im happy to BE HERE!I wish everyone the best on Thier WAY! God bless You All! :-D polish- english greetings ;-)

Yes I too am planning a solo trip during April this year. I'm a 40 year old British Mum living in France who is getting her head round the facts of leaving my children and husband for 5 wks, walking along way and fulfilling an idea which kept be brought to my attention. So my thinking is I've got to go and try it and stop finding lots of excuses to not go for it. So time for some research to start making it real.
Greetings from Great Britan for British Mommy! ;-) I have similary:its time change planning and wondering for reality,its time to go!And im 40thy as well! Good Luck!

Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino this year, starting in St. Jean Pied de Port at the 27th of April. Hopefully I'll finish in Santiago at the end of May / beginning of June. I'm very looking forward to this journey and hope to come across some of you along the way! I'm still in the process of figuring everything out on this forum, so I'll probably post some more in the future and ask for some advice. For now, nice to meet everyone!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino this year, starting in St. Jean Pied de Port at the 27th of April. Hopefully I'll finish in Santiago at the end of May / beginning of June.
Hello Vera, I'll start a couple of weeks before you, but I'm very slow due to foot and hip problems. Maybe you'll catch up with me =)

Anyway, Buen Camino!

Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino this year, starting in St. Jean Pied de Port at the 27th of April. Hopefully I'll finish in Santiago at the end of May / beginning of June. I'm very looking forward to this journey and hope to come across some of you along the way! I'm still in the process of figuring everything out on this forum, so I'll probably post some more in the future and ask for some advice. For now, nice to meet everyone!
Nice to meet you Vera.

Hello, well I've been saying I will walk the Camino for a few years and last week thought, why not now , so I ordered a few books booked my flight from London to Biarritz for the 28th April, I will stay the night in the Bayonne Ibis , train down to St Jean Pied de Port and start my walking on the morning of April 30th, I was so excited I couldn't get to sleep after booking it.
Thanks to this forum and so many informative posts I have mentally packed and re-packed my bags a hundred times, so its just a new rucksack left to purchase on the weekend and a lot more training. Cheers

Ian

Hello, well I've been saying I will walk the Camino for a few years and last week thought, why not now , so I ordered a few books booked my flight from London to Biarritz for the 28th April, I will stay the night in the Bayonne Ibis , train down to St Jean Pied de Port and start my walking on the morning of April 30th, I was so excited I couldn't get to sleep after booking it.
Thanks to this forum and so many informative posts I have mentally packed and re-packed my bags a hundred times, so its just a new rucksack left to purchase on the weekend and a lot more training. Cheers

Ian
Hi WycombeMan

Welcome to the forum. I practically live here at the moment and everyone is so helpful. Hope to see you on the way. You might catch up as I'm planning to start on the 24th of April but won't be rushing.

Planning to start from St. Jean about April 8th, maybe we will meet!

Hi Emonty...will probably see you there somewhere :) I've just been finalising a few more details of my plans and should be starting from SJPdP somewhere around the 6-8th April. But I'll be walking SLOWLY, so even if I start on the 6th, I'm sure you'll still catch me up :)

I am also a camino virgin. Acquired a pilgrim passport today in Dublin and feel like that's my jumping off point. Booking my flights tomorrow. Starting 21st April. Easter Monday. Seems appropriate. Oh and attending a talk by John Brierley talk on Friday evening. Doesn't get better than this.....

Hi Shivers...it's all very exciting (and a little bit nerve-wracking), isn't it! Mine is starting to feel a lot more real just in the last couple of days. I start a bit earlier than you (have narrowed it down to somewhere around the 6-8th April), but I'll be walking pretty slowly, so we still may meet along the way :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Vera
Welcome to the forum I am also new as we all were at one time. You I am sure will find this forum very helpful. Any question you have or thought can be answered on this forum. You should check this forum out often. I am on every day even thou my Camino starts in September 2014.
Take care and Buen Camino
James

My wife and I are starting our Camino from Pamplona in late May, walking to Santiago de Compostela, then on to Finisterre/Muxia before taking a bus to Porto and walking back to Santiago de Compostela on the Camino Portuguese.

I hope to meet some of you on the way.

Buen Camino

Hi Jabaldo, when in Sept do you plan on starting? I hope to leave from St. Jean on our around the 8th. Hope to see you along the Way!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Christine, I have no special knowledge but wonder if you have ever tried trekking poles. I am practicing with them now for a start mid May 2014 and I like them a lot. Maybe they would help your hands?
Stefania
Hi Stefania,

I haven't purchased my poles yet, but plan on a set for stability. The best news is that I solved the hand issue with a properly fitted, female backpack by Deuter. I love the thing! My previous experiences with packs was limited to the Army Rucksack that I used off and on during my long military career. I was ignorant to civilian design. I thought the problem was my body. I never really "fit in" the Army. This is just another example. Thank you for your response.

Fondly, Christine

Hello everyone - Just catching up on the class of 2014 - there are so many people starting their walk soon! I can feel the excitment!

We've fixed our date - I've booked a night at Orrison for the 13th September... I'm going to walk there with my husband and the next day (14th - which is our wedding anniversary) he'll walk back to SJPdP and drive home and I'll carry on up the mountain :)

Time is passing so quickly - my friends still think I'm mad but I cant wait for it all to start now!

Hi Jabaldo, when in Sept do you plan on starting? I hope to leave from St. Jean on our around the 8th. Hope to see you along the Way!
I will be behind you by a few days. We will depart SJPP on September 16. I will be looking for you as well as all the people who I have met on this forum.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Harold, we will see you inSJPdP on the 24th! Two months to go :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Deadfred, Tyrrek & Mysticl..and all others planning for 2014!
Regardless when you go in 2014 you will most likely meet Marly & me on the Camino. We are planning an April 2014 departure from SJPP...however, at that time I will be turning 76 and Marly will be 74...so, will take us a while to complete. So, if you see a couple of "turtles" trudging along, that will be us.

Marly & Harold
Naples, Florida

Hola Marly & Harold,

I think I will be meeting you on the Camino I plan to start Fri 16 th or Saturday 17th of May, a little younger than you guys but probably only a little faster.

Vivien (Brisbane, Australia)

Heading up the hill 26th Sept , not the 17th as originally planned ,from St Jean .. oh boy oh boy!!.

Last edited:
Hello everyone Rick and myself (Darlene) are starting the Camino on my 50th birthday April 4, 2014 weather permitting...I am quite excited as by pack is ready to go.

Happy 50th Darlene! I'm doing my camino for my 50th as well (last october), will start from SJPP March 31, weather permitting. Will be going slow, stay an extra night in pamplona, so maybe our paths will cross and we can share a glass of wine for the big 50!!!

Hola Marly & Harold,

I think I will be meeting you on the Camino I plan to start Fri 16 th or Saturday 17th of May, a little younger than you guys but probably only a little faster.

Vivien (Brisbane, Australia)
Vivien, I will be starting May 18th in SJPP and will arrive in Pamplona on the 21st. That is as far as I know my schedule since I will be with a group for the start but after Pamplona - who knows ; )
Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino
Stefania

Hi everyone! What a wonderful forum and friendly people! My DH and I going to our first Camino in the end of June. Unfortunately we have only 7 days for the walk, so not sure yet where to start: Sarria or Tui... So excited!!!!

€149,-
Hi Everyone! Greetings from Singapore!

I've been telling my friends for 2 years that I wanted to go on a Camino. But alas, the trappings of modern society... just last month, I decided that I have had enough and I need a well deserved break.
"If not now, then when?" So this April and May, I'm on the El Norte -> Primitivo, starting from Irun.

I'm bringing my exceptionally healthy 66 yo mum along!

If you are going the same way I am, please, message me and say hi!

Terry

Hey Joe

Sounds great. My wife and I are actually thinking about celebrating our 25th anniversary in Barcelona or Marbella a bit earlier with her flying back home as I trek out to SJPD. That will determine my route to SJPD. I hope you're having fun preparing for this. I know I am. Enjoy!

Vere a ustedes en Septiembre..............Miguel

Micheal , Ours travel plans have shifted a wee bit . Still coming into Madrid on the 24th Sept however instead of traveling via Train/Train/Hotel/Bus to SJPdP we are now taking a taxi direct. My wife suffers motion sickness and the most direct route is the best for her we have determined. Planning ?.. I hope the trekk is as enjoyable as the getting there, :)

Only one week until my flight to Madrid and..... I landed in hospital two days ago. My hopes to go home today are crushed. The big question is whether my pilgrimage ended before it started. Pray for me fellow pilgrims.

€149,-
Only one week until my flight to Madrid and..... I landed in hospital two days ago. My hopes to go home today are crushed. The big question is whether my pilgrimage ended before it started. Pray for me fellow pilgrims.
Praying for you Gil.....get well soon!

Absolutely! Hope pilgrimage will go as planned but please know it is not over if you can't go now. This may just be part of the journey that you didn't expect. I have had two incidents since December that could have stopped my May departure. Neither has done so. I also started training two years ago and due to a knee problem thought I might not make the journey. Once again it didn't stop me but it did put the trip back a year.
Hope this is encouraging not the opposite!
Buen Camino
Stefania

Hello everyone, I will be starting out from SJPPD on September 17th! Plan on being in Santiago on October 19th for a 2 day rest then walking to Finesterra. Very excited. Tickets are purchased. Jessica

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone, I will be starting out from SJPPD on September 17th! Plan on being in Santiago on October 19th for a 2 day rest then walking to Finesterra. Very excited. Tickets are purchased. Jessica
Hi Jessica. I am so excited for you. I will be going on my first camino in mid May. Where is your picture taken? It looks like Texas to me but could be anywhere I suppose.
Buen Camino.
Stefania

Hi Jessica. I am so excited for you. I will be going on my first camino in mid May. Where is your picture taken? It looks like Texas to me but could be anywhere I suppose.
Buen Camino.
Stefania
The picture was taken in Napa California at Sterling Vineyards. Good luck on your may Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Trish I'm flying out from Gatwick 4th September to Biarritz. Best wishes Michael

Thank you my brothers and sisters pilgrims for your prayers. Just an hour ago I was discharged from the hospital. The doctor gave me a go ahead for our pilgrimage. God willing in one week at this time I will be in Pamplona on my way to Roncesvalles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you my brothers and sisters pilgrims for your prayers. Just an hour ago I was discharged from the hospital. The doctor gave me a go ahead for our pilgrimage. God willing in one week at this time I will be in Pamplona on my way to Roncesvalles.
Praise God! Buen Camino!

I plan on doing the camino from June 23 to Mid/End of August. I will be starting on the camino arles from Auch, continuing on to the camino aragones, until meeting up with the camino frances. It will be my first camino! Anyone else going the same time as me, feel free to send me a message!

Hello from Colorado!
Glad to see someone from my neck of the woods! Live in Nebraska, just across the border, but I do my hiking in Colorado (Colorado native). Leaving SJPP on April 7th.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.