• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2015

Hi All -- great to be a member of the Class of 2015 -- I will start my first Camino on the 29th of March -- traveling from Brussels, Belgium to SJPdP on the 28th of March and will start the trek on the 29th of March -- could not convince my wife to come with me, but she promised to pick me up in Santiago at the end of the Month ( I hope she did not have her finger's crossed when she said that -- could be a long trip back to Brussels) -- My home State is Nebraska, so hoping the meet up with others from the Husker Nation (I will be wearing my red Nebraska Hat -- ok, tacky, but is what it is : ) -- of course if it really gets cold, the NE hat is in the bag and the watch cap is coming out ) -- Have been living in Europe (Germany, Italy, Belgium) for the last 9 years and will return back to the US this Fall -- figured walking the El Camino would be an epic adventure and a once in a lifetime experience -- from what I have read on the posts here -- am sure that will be the case --Have all of my tickets to get me down to SJPdP, just working the last minute detail on where to stay the night of the 28th in SJPdP -- any suggestions would absolutely be welcomed -- still sorting out my pack, the one I have been hiking with is a tad too small -- my stuff will fit, but it is tight, so going with REI on a little bit bigger setup -- if it gets here in time -- if not, well it is like life, things will work out -- Looking forward to meeting the 2015 Camino Family on the trek --
Have a great journey ! Buen Camino
Stephen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all

Can anyone advise how many times you need to have your Credential stamped.
Is it OK to have it stamped at your accommodation when you arrive or leave.
I thought I had read that you had to have it stamped twice a day but probably mistaken as that seems like overkill to me

Mike
Hy Mike , when you walk from Sarria you need two stamps a day . Buen Camino , Peter .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a follow up question to Mike's, I got my credencial a few days ago. It doesn't seem like a lot of pages for multiple stamps over several weeks. Or do they just start stamping over the first ones?

Hi All -- great to be a member of the Class of 2015 -- I will start my first Camino on the 29th of March -- traveling from Brussels, Belgium to SJPdP on the 28th of March and will start the trek on the 29th of March -- could not convince my wife to come with me, but she promised to pick me up in Santiago at the end of the Month ( I hope she did not have her finger's crossed when she said that -- could be a long trip back to Brussels) -- My home State is Nebraska, so hoping the meet up with others from the Husker Nation (I will be wearing my red Nebraska Hat -- ok, tacky, but is what it is : ) -- of course if it really gets cold, the NE hat is in the bag and the watch cap is coming out ) -- Have been living in Europe (Germany, Italy, Belgium) for the last 9 years and will return back to the US this Fall -- figured walking the El Camino would be an epic adventure and a once in a lifetime experience -- from what I have read on the posts here -- am sure that will be the case --Have all of my tickets to get me down to SJPdP, just working the last minute detail on where to stay the night of the 28th in SJPdP -- any suggestions would absolutely be welcomed -- still sorting out my pack, the one I have been hiking with is a tad too small -- my stuff will fit, but it is tight, so going with REI on a little bit bigger setup -- if it gets here in time -- if not, well it is like life, things will work out -- Looking forward to meeting the 2015 Camino Family on the trek --

Buen Camino Grogan!

Some days we got more than 2 stamps as there are so many interesting ones and places to get them. If you run out of space then you can either add some paper pages or get a second, or even third, 'continuation' credential. Then show all the pages/credentiales at the pilgrims' office. We are lucky, the CSJ credential has 90 spaces.

All paid up for 2015, waiting for our tickets now and for the weeks to pass.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a follow up question to Mike's, I got my credencial a few days ago. It doesn't seem like a lot of pages for multiple stamps over several weeks. Or do they just start stamping over the first ones?
Hello , the credential that I have is space for 56 stamps. That's normaly enough, but when you want more stamps order an extra credential. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

pape
..., I got my credencial a few days ago. It doesn't seem like a lot of pages for multiple stamps over several weeks. Or do they just start stamping over the first ones?

No, you don't stamp over the once you have already! Just get a second credencial en route or simply add a plain paper sheet to extend it. Buen Camino! SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Leaving Toronto on May 4 and starting our Camino Portugues de Santiago in Lisboa on May 5 (actually, we will be taking a couple of days off in Lisboa to recover from the jet lag and visit the city). Walking to Tomar and a then a little turn to the left to visit the Shrine of Our Lady at Fatima and then back on the trail towards Porto, Tui and the tomb of the apostle at Santiago de Compostela. Our Portugues is non existant but we can speak Spanish as well as English, hopefully that will be enough to comunicate with the people of Portugal.

Ordered my badges ... ordered my sleeping bag ... sample packed everything I have assembled so far and tested in in daughter's backpack (have yet to get my own still trying to decide how big or small I need) walking daily up to 8 km rain or shine (we are slow walking the Camino, only planning on 10+ km daily) and beginning to incorporate some steep inclines/declines. We are hoping to walk in early May and take anywhere up to 2 months to complete but as of yet have not ordered our plane tickets so don't have any reservations for Orrison or SJPP. Our plans have not yet firmed up but unless something drastic happens between now and then it will be a go. I am starting to get nervous. Hubby has begun to get enthused (this has been my baby up til now, he was just my support crew ... but now I think the enormity of what we are about to attempt is beginning to sink in ... yay!) ... oh it's his Birthday in a few days and when I asked him what he wanted, he immediate said Pacer Poles (he has been borrowing our daughter's pair to train) ... I laughed and tried to deflect (already have them hidden under the bed) but he one upped me ... and declared rather certainly ... "You have probably already ordered them" LOLOL ... he obviously knows me too well ...

I am an old guy (over 70) and overweight. We, wonder woman and I, started in Roncesvalles last year. Started very slow and encountered some obstacles but... after 2 or 3 weeks even the old body got conditioned and became a walking machine. You will find that after walking everyday with the backpack everything hurts but the hurts start to go away and suddenly you want to go farther than the day before. If you are at all like me by the time you get to Ponferrada you will be doing 25 km daily with no problems.

Hola to all class 2015 members,
I am from Ottawa, ON, Canada and can't wait to start my first camino. I will arrive in Roncevalles on May 4th. This is a personal project that have grown in me for many years. I am currently on a sabatical leave from work; this camino will give me time to reflect on where I am, where I am going. I first was attracted by all those peregrino/as who walked on those steps over the centuries, it seems to me that I will be able to feed myself with all this fantastic energy that inhabit the way. I also want to prove myself that I have the strenght, the will power, the determination to walk it solo, although I expect to form a camino family :)
Buen camino to all. See you on the Way.
I am sure you will find what you are looking for. It is a once in the life experience. I think you can come back to el camino but it will never be like the first time. Enjoy! Buen Camino my fellow Canuck

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buz! I hadn't seen you on the forum for a while (maybe we're in different conversations). How is planning going?

I just booked a ride to SJPP for April 30, a bed in SJPP for that night and a bed outside of Roncesvalles for May 1. It's going to be a long walk on May 1! The rest of the time I will be leaving beds up to fate.

Let me know how it goes!

Suzanne
Hi Suzanne, I'm planing On starting May 1st as well. Staying in SJPdP on the 30. I decided to go easy (as they point out so often on the forum) but couldn't get into Orrison but was able to get into the overflow at Kayola. I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere:) Buen Camino!

Hello pilgrims. Can anyone tell me which are the main cities of the camino Frances? I know Burgos is one of them. I planning to spend a couple of night here to go around the city fallowing a recommendation from a member of the forum. I want to make another stop or maybe two more but I don't know which cities may be interesting to spend an extra night. I'm open to any options and recommendation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband (Ian) and I (Trish) will be starting our Camino Frances from SJPP on 8th April. We're taking it fairly slow and will be finishing in Finisterre on 22nd May then back to Santiago for our last night on 23rd May. If anyone else is out there at the same time, please say hi .
There are 5 weeks to go before we leave and I am starting to get nervous and very excited - we haven't done enough in the way of practice walks but we have read so many accounts of people doing it without any practice so we think we should be OK.
Question for all you veterans and Camino experts - I have a light weight duck down jacket and a polar fleece - will I need both in April? I believe that it is likely to be still snowing and I hate the cold :)

Last time I started out of SJPP on April 18th. I had a Polar fleece and a Northface H2NO rain coat. I bought a neon orange rain jacket because I was picturing myself on roads in the rain - wanted to be visible to drivers. I had no idea that I would be wearing that ugly jacket every single day, all day, for 3 straight weeks in pouring rain. And freezing. I was freezing the entire time. In Astorga I stopped and bought a down parka. Oh the sheer bliss of that unbelievably expensive parka.
This time I will start a bit later in April or in early May and I am taking a fleece, the parka (which packs down into a lightweight football) and a poncho.
And you know what gigs me? A woman's jacket (rain or parka or fleece, whatever) will have two pockets situated on the lower hips, abdomen area. In the exact spot where your pack straps across your body. You can't get into those pockets without unhooking your pack. But my son was also wearing an H2NO jacket and his had a super convenient pocket situated just over his heart. Perfect for your phone/camera, MP3, tissues. So the parka I bought was a man's and it had the heart pocket (as, it seems do most men's outdoor gear jackets). I like walking in the cold but I can't stand being cold either!

Hola!
Starting my second (but not my final!) Camino sometime in late April/early May. This will be my first time sola and I still have no idea where I am going to start from or which route, exactly, I am going to take. But I will definitely be somewhere in Spain :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last time I started out of SJPP on April 18th. I had a Polar fleece and a Northface H2NO rain coat. I bought a neon orange rain jacket because I was picturing myself on roads in the rain - wanted to be visible to drivers. I had no idea that I would be wearing that ugly jacket every single day, all day, for 3 straight weeks in pouring rain. And freezing. I was freezing the entire time. In Astorga I stopped and bought a down parka. Oh the sheer bliss of that unbelievably expensive parka.
This time I will start a bit later in April or in early May and I am taking a fleece, the parka (which packs down into a lightweight football) and a poncho.
And you know what gigs me? A woman's jacket (rain or parka or fleece, whatever) will have two pockets situated on the lower hips, abdomen area. In the exact spot where your pack straps across your body. You can't get into those pockets without unhooking your pack. But my son was also wearing an H2NO jacket and his had a super convenient pocket situated just over his heart. Perfect for your phone/camera, MP3, tissues. So the parka I bought was a man's and it had the heart pocket (as, it seems do most men's outdoor gear jackets). I like walking in the cold but I can't stand being cold either!

I can bet if you're from Texas! :D

Lovely state, my step brother moved to San Antonio with his wife a couple years back.

pape

No, you don't stamp over the once you have already! Just get a second credencial en route or simply add a plain paper sheet to extend it. Buen Camino! SY

This will sound like a really silly question, but if you do this - what do you put on the front of the credencial as your starting place? The place you actually started (eg SJPdP) or the place you start using the second credencial? OK please don't laugh at me - I'm just at the stage of stressing over tiny details (32 days to departure!)

This will sound like a really silly question, but if you do this - what do you put on the front of the credencial as your starting place? The place you actually started (eg SJPdP) or the place you start using the second credencial? OK please don't laugh at me - I'm just at the stage of stressing over tiny details (32 days to departure!)
You really are stressing - and honestly it is needless. The people in the Compostella office are super nice. They'll ask where you started and they'll look at your book and if you have two books they'll look at both. YOU don't put anything - the sellos will tell them where you started and where you finished. Every time the hospitaleros or churches give you the sellos they write the date under it. They might ask at the compostella office if you walked the whole way. I didn't - I took a cab into Sahagun because the Meseta nearly killed me and a cab into Leon because the traffic scared me - but they really don't care about junk like that. Basically that you walked the last 100 kms is what is important to them.
Everything that seems so inchoate and unexplained all becomes pretty clear in the first couple of days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You really are stressing - and honestly it is needless. The people in the Compostella office are super nice. They'll ask where you started and they'll look at your book and if you have two books they'll look at both. YOU don't put anything - the sellos will tell them where you started and where you finished. Every time the hospitaleros or churches give you the sellos they write the date under it. They might ask at the compostella office if you walked the whole way. I didn't - I took a cab into Sahagun because the Meseta nearly killed me and a cab into Leon because the traffic scared me - but they really don't care about junk like that. Basically that you walked the last 100 kms is what is important to them.
Everything that seems so inchoate and unexplained all becomes pretty clear in the first couple of days.

Thanks Chacharm, that's very reassuring!

The place you actually started ;-) If you want to be really correct / OCD you add continuaccion some where ;-) Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Chacharm, that's very reassuring!
You know what stressed me out? The idea of walking into Albuergues and just um...getting a bed. Surely it wasn't that simple? The only person I had ever known who had walked the Camino had done it 25 years before. And he had some pretty miserable nights when there was no room in the shelter. I was terrified of that! Plus...no sello! What would I do?
Not a concern. Particularly not if you start in early April.
My first night on the Camino - getting settled into my first Albuergue...a woman drove up, got out her book and started taking 10 euro from each of us and stamping passports. Another woman, a peregrina, (who didn't speak Spanish) was staying at a hotel with her friend because the friend was really sick came in all stressed out because she needed their 2 credenciales stamped. The hospitalera didn't understand and charged her 20 euro, thinking she wanted two beds.
She could have asked for a sello at her hotel, but she didn't know that. She thought that only albuergues gave out the sellos and she thought it was uber important that she had an account of every night! Seriously, she was in tears. I stepped in and explained what she wanted and got her money back for her. The Hospitalera thought she was crazy but she happily stamped her credenciales. The peregrina was so embarrassed about it that she told me weeks later she had avoided me because of it.
But I understand how exciting and stressful it can be!

Last edited:
Hi Suzanne, I'm planing On starting May 1st as well. Staying in SJPdP on the 30. I decided to go easy (as they point out so often on the forum) but couldn't get into Orrison but was able to get into the overflow at Kayola. I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere:) Buen Camino!
Tink, Where are you staying in SJPP? Also, I am now staying in Orisson the first night so ...it is highly likely we will meet! Suzanne

The important thing to have in a follow on credential is your name and maybe passport number too if it is on the first one.

Hi Suzanne, my husband and I are staying at Chambres d'Hotels Garicoltz. He will be leaving for Burgos for two weeks and when I catch up with him he'll head to Finnestere for a month waiting my arrival. I'm staying in the Orrison overflow at Kayola. I'm able to come up for dinner/breakfast. I see your from Sacramento! I'm from Medford Or. I'll be flying out of LAX on the 25 of April and spending some time in Madrid. Look forward to meeting you and the rest.

I will be walking SJPP to Santiago in March/April 2015. :) I hail from Arizona, USA, and will be traveling on my own. Very anxious/excited!
hi Marqued, When will you arrived at SJPdP? My neighbour and i are so excited to be part of Class of 2015! I' fly out from Asia to Paris, will reach SJPdP Mar 20.

Well it's about to become real ... after years of planning and hoping and wishing we finally bought our tickets. We leave Vancouver on April 28 and head to England ... cheapest flight by FAR, the savings more than cover any additional transportation costs (chunnel fun!) to get us to Paris where we were initially planning to land. After that and a couple days to decompress we will likely head down to St Jean on either the on May 3 or thereabouts ... if there are any beds left available I am likely going to look into booking Orrison on the 5th but need to recheck my itinerary first ... still, the die has been cast for good or ill and I will be walking the Camino in early May .... woot! Scared and terrified at the same time ... as soon as we finalized our booking my heart started to race and the self doubt kicked into high gear ... took me all night and most of the morning to calm down ... I can do this!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can do it Mysticl, Buen Camino!

Pamplona, Logrono, Najera, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Burgos, Fromista, Sahagun, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Sarria, Melide, and Arzua.
I selected burgos and ponferrada. Two nights on each place to relax and to go around those beautiful places. Thanks for the recommendations.

Well it's about to become real ... after years of planning and hoping and wishing we finally bought our tickets. We leave Vancouver on April 28 and head to England ... cheapest flight by FAR, the savings more than cover any additional transportation costs (chunnel fun!) to get us to Paris where we were initially planning to land. After that and a couple days to decompress we will likely head down to St Jean on either the on May 3 or thereabouts ... if there are any beds left available I am likely going to look into booking Orrison on the 5th but need to recheck my itinerary first ... still, the die has been cast for good or ill and I will be walking the Camino in early May .... woot! Scared and terrified at the same time ... as soon as we finalized our booking my heart started to race and the self doubt kicked into high gear ... took me all night and most of the morning to calm down ... I can do this!

Hi Mysticl, it will be FANTASTIC, just take every days as it come with all the pain and all the type of weather James care to send you together with a myriad of peregrinos from all over the World and they make you realise that we are all part of a big family in the end you will feel SENSATIONALLY GOOD.
Buen Camino
Ernesto (Ernie)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino Mike!

Have a Great Camino! Say hi when you overtake me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jostony you and I sound a lot alike ... like you, my husband recently retired and we have all the time in the world (within reason) to do our Camino ... you start a few days before us but our plans sound remarkably similar to yours (willing to take up to 2 months to finish as long as hubby agrees) I am a slow walker at the best of time and rarely (if ever) pass anyone even on our training walks even though I feel like I am powering through the walk. I guess my stride is smaller than most or that's my story and I'm sticking to it. From another of your posts I saw you are starting May 1 ... that's a few days before us as we are starting most likely on May 5 so unless you walk even slower than I do, which is HIGHLY unlikely it is doubtful our paths will cross ... that said I am actually sad we won't, as it sounds like you are in a very similar place as we are in our lives and it would have been nice to say hello and share experiences. Who knows though, I might be grossly underestimating my ability out of the fear of failure ... maybe I will end up walk farther in a day than I currently think I am able ... stranger things have happened I guess so anything is possible but my money is on me taking the full 2 months. I'll have my Camino forum patch on my GossamerGear backpack though and both I and my husband will be using Pacerpoles, say hi if you happen to see us :)

Jostony you and I sound a lot alike ... like you, my husband recently retired and we have all the time in the world (within reason) to do our Camino ... you start a few days before us but our plans sound remarkably similar to yours (willing to take up to 2 months to finish as long as hubby agrees) I am a slow walker at the best of time and rarely (if ever) pass anyone even on our training walks even though I feel like I am powering through the walk. I guess my stride is smaller than most or that's my story and I'm sticking to it. From another of your posts I saw you are starting May 1 ... that's a few days before us as we are starting most likely on May 5 so unless you walk even slower than I do, which is HIGHLY unlikely it is doubtful our paths will cross ... that said I am actually sad we won't, as it sounds like you are in a very similar place as we are in our lives and it would have been nice to say hello and share experiences. Who knows though, I might be grossly underestimating my ability out of the fear of failure ... maybe I will end up walk farther in a day than I currently think I am able ... stranger things have happened I guess so anything is possible but my money is on me taking the full 2 months. I'll have my Camino forum patch on my GossamerGear backpack though and both I and my husband will be using Pacerpoles, say hi if you happen to see us :)
Good to hear from you. I am walking with my brother (he is the thin one and probably the good looking one too!) and his partner. We plan to walk at a comfortable pace and I am sure we will not always be together as we will walk at our own pace and hopefully catch up for lunch breaks if we get separated. Our first intended stop is Pamplona where we will probably decamp for a couple of days. Next rest stop will be in Burgos and then Leon and if I can talk brother into it we will treat ourselves and stay in Paradores (hotels) where available. I don't know how unfit I am until I start! so walk from SJPdP will be interesting and grueling but hopefully rewarding too! If we meet along the way my name is Tony and I too will be walking with my Pacer Poles. Hopefully we will meet at some point. If we don't - enjoy your Camino and enjoy Spain.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2015?
Buen Camino
Arn
My daughter Lorelei and I will start the Camino Frances from SJPDP mid June 2015. We are so excited! Good luck to you all. Ultreia!!!

€46,-
Hello
I'm shirley from southern Oregon. I'll be 61 and walking solo from SJPdP and hopefully on to Finisterre / MuxĂ­a, in May/June 2015. I was really excited to see this thread come alive this soon. I began walking regularly in August of 2013. I bought a Fitbit and was hooked on the amount of steps/miles I was walking each week. Later I joined a local hiking club through Meet-ups. (A nationwide site where people get together in their local areas for just about anything). On one of my hikes I met a woman who said she was doing the Camino. I didn't have any clue what that was until I googled it that evening. The more I researched it the more I felt the drawl. Now I'm hooked. I'm looking on the forum everyday. I watched "the way", lots of YouTube and am learning a wealth of information on this forum. Thanks to all the pilgrims before me for sharing your experiences. I look forward to getting to know the 2015'ers and meeting up with you all on the Camino
H . I live in Salem and wondering if you're still on track to go this spring? The Camino has been calling me for about one year, but not sure of when I will be able to swing it.

Welcome suzrya!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
H . I live in Salem and wondering if you're still on track to go this spring? The Camino has been calling me for about one year, but not sure of when I will be able to swing it.
Hi Suzrya, yes it's has finally come to reality. The tickets are purchased and I'm leaving on the 25th of April and I'll start my walk on May 1st. Keep the spirit of the Camino alive in your heart and you to will be on your journey soon! I decided to write about my journey for mainly my family and friends. I was surprised to see clicks from other people and from countries as well. You can follow my journey on Shirleyraeonherway.com ........good luck to you!
Buen Camino

Hello there pilgrims present, past and future. I walked Roncesvalles to Logrono, Astorga to Santiago in September/October 2013. I will be heading back September 2015 hoping to have enough time to walk Pamplona to Sarria. Looking forward to meeting many of you forum members on the Way and looking forward to both retracing some steps and covering some new. I am especially keen to spend a Friday night in Pamplona again and climbing up to O'Cebreiro one more time!

Buen Camino Fallow! I plan on leaving SJPdP September 7th. Maybe our paths will cross.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After looking at train and airfare rates for the days we want to travel from Paris to Bayonne I was somewhat shellshocked ... there are SOME cheap fares of course but on the days WE need to travel the rates are ridiculous. Then I had the bright idea of renting a car. When I looked into that option I found that I could get a 3 day rental for about $66 CAD (about $20/day) with unlimited mileage. That would be a much cheaper option even factoring in the cost of gas and food for the both of us. Hubby and I are no strangers to long road trips and in a pinch we could do the trip in one day but then I got another bright idea ... skip Paris altogether (we were initially going to spend a couple days there to decompress) and use the time to slow travel to Bayonne by car (we have to drop the car there as SJPP has no drop off location so will be using expressbouricot to complete the trip) prebooking accomodation using airmiles (I have a ton of points that are due to expire in December, ). Even with the change of plans we could still make it to SJPP in time for our May 4-5 departure. Any locals or more experienced travelers know if this plan is feasible or am I just dreaming too big? I've never actually used airmiles to book accomodation but it looks easy?

Last edited:
Hi Suzrya, yes it's has finally come to reality. The tickets are purchased and I'm leaving on the 25th of April and I'll start my walk on May 1st. Keep the spirit of the Camino alive in your heart and you to will be on your journey soon! I decided to write about my journey for mainly my family and friends. I was surprised to see clicks from other people and from countries as well. You can follow my journey on Shirleyraeonherway.com ........good luck to you!
Buen Camino

Shirley. I'm so happy for you and will follow your journey with great joy. Thank you for responding & Buen Camino!

Hi Melanie, Hopefully we will meet on the trial. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going this year but it's looking pretty positive at the moment. Would love to stay in contact and meet along the way.
Sounds Great! Hoping everything works out and you can move forward :)

Hello Melanie, I have found that the earlier I buy my ticket the better the deal. I am flying into Paris and taking train to SJPdP to start. REI is a great place to get equipment. If you keep an eye on the forum you will meet friends that are starting the same time as you and have someone to begin with. I think we are in for the adventure of our life.:) Do you know a Mr Charlie Jones who owned Builders Cash and Carry in Enterprise? We used to do business together, nice man. Stephen
I don't know MR Jones, and I really don't know many people here at all... relocated to help my parents... Glad you mentioned REI, the closest I can find is Jax FL or Atlanta GA both decent options for me to go to even though they are 5&6 hours away. Do you know of one closer? I plan to fly into Madrid although I have not bought my ticket yet. I am seriously considering try to schedule to do the day hike in South Spain when I finish the Camino. Have you heard about the dangerous trail that just reopened? I can send a link or just google something like ' world's most dangerous trail in Spain reopens' . Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE="Any locals or more experienced travelers know if this plan is feasible or am I just dreaming too big? I've never actually used airmiles to book accomodation but it looks easy?[/QUOTE]

@Mysticl - I've booked accommodation in France using airmiles. It worked fine.

As you're clearly comfortable with long drives, the slow road trip should be a really nice way of getting over the jet lag. It will probably also be a lot more relaxing than spending time in Paris.

Buen Camino to you both.

Nuala

I don't know MR Jones, and I really don't know many people here at all... relocated to help my parents... Glad you mentioned REI, the closest I can find is Jax FL or Atlanta GA both decent options for me to go to even though they are 5&6 hours away. Do you know of one closer? I plan to fly into Madrid although I have not bought my ticket yet. I am seriously considering try to schedule to do the day hike in South Spain when I finish the Camino. Have you heard about the dangerous trail that just reopened? I can send a link or just google something like ' world's most dangerous trail in Spain reopens' . Melanie
Melanie, I have bought most everything on line. There aren't any any REI stores near Mobile. They have a great sizing chart for most things in the way of clothing and everything fits well. The two things that you probably want to be fitted for in a store are the shoes and backpack. You are close enough to either place to make a fun trip to the store for the fitting. REI has a great return policy so if you buy on line and it isn't right you have plenty of time to exchange. The ordering and waiting on the things to come in has been fun when doing it on line.
I don't know about the hiking trails in Southern Spain but send me something and I will see what I can find out. It may be something I will like to do. I have rented a house in Gaucin for the last two weeks in June to wind down and reflect. It is in the Rhonda mountains and I was thinking I might do some day hiking around there. I was there about eight years ago but spent most of my time with the Andalusian Masters swim clubs on the coast. Have fun with your planning and getting ready. Hope all is well with the parents, it can be a great blessing to be able to give back to them after all they did for us. Buen Camino Stephen

Hi All, I hope as this is the class of 2015 it's ok for me to change the conversation slightly? I am going back to sjpdp to start again in June. My question is when I get to Burgos, can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where pilgrims gather for supper as I find Burgos a bit overwhelming. I won't be staying in an Albergue but a hostal, (Spanish spelling) and although I liked the place I ate in last time, Cafeteria Ojeda, I don't much like eating on my own. Cheers! :)

Melanie, I have bought most everything on line. There aren't any any REI stores near Mobile. They have a great sizing chart for most things in the way of clothing and everything fits well. The two things that you probably want to be fitted for in a store are the shoes and backpack. You are close enough to either place to make a fun trip to the store for the fitting. REI has a great return policy so if you buy on line and it isn't right you have plenty of time to exchange. The ordering and waiting on the things to come in has been fun when doing it on line.
I don't know about the hiking trails in Southern Spain but send me something and I will see what I can find out. It may be something I will like to do. I have rented a house in Gaucin for the last two weeks in June to wind down and reflect. It is in the Rhonda mountains and I was thinking I might do some day hiking around there. I was there about eight years ago but spent most of my time with the Andalusian Masters swim clubs on the coast. Have fun with your planning and getting ready. Hope all is well with the parents, it can be a great blessing to be able to give back to them after all they did for us. Buen Camino Stephen
http://on.aol.com/video/worlds-most-dangerous-hike-reopens-518696324
From what I've read, it's free the first 6 months but you have to reserve a spot. And, it seems you can only reserve a spot max 2 months in advance.
I'm a W2 (walkin and workin) LOL. I'm just excited to have some time off work and the means to take this trip :)

€46,-
So now you go me re-thinking what I should bring. I am starting in SJPP on April 22nd (in 4 weeks ) and was only bringing a lite polar fleece and a rain poncho. You ended up with a down parka. I live in New England and am happy with 50 to 60 degrees days for walking, but its being cold and damp that gets to me. I will have review what I bring. Thank you

We have carried a midweight fleece (300gms) and a second windproofed reversible fleece (400gms) on our last 2 Caminos, so can layer up or carry both in our packs. Being reversible gives it a higher warmth rating when the liner is outside with the fleece layer inside. On cold mornings I started out with my waterproof trousers on and then took them off when it warmed up. (The poncho only came out when it was wet.) Neither of us carried a parka or jacket and 2 years ago it was very cold when we were walking in May but our fleece system was all we needed.

So now you go me re-thinking what I should bring. I am starting in SJPP on April 22nd (in 4 weeks ) and was only bringing a lite polar fleece and a rain poncho. You ended up with a down parka. I live in New England and am happy with 50 to 60 degrees days for walking, but its being cold and damp that gets to me. I will have review what I bring. Thank you
I think that what constitutes cold for me and what constitutes cold for you are probably two very different things. But consider this - Spain and Mass have roughly the same climate. And on the coast (are you walking the via del Norte?) it will be windier and colder.
I figured I would be really comfortable when we reached the Meseta - flat and hot (just like Texas). But in fact that was easily the hardest area for me and for my son. I ended up with terrible blisters and was down for the count for a couple of days and we thought that he might have some sort of stress fracture in his foot. Near Astorga (where I bought the parka) the wind blew like NW Texas and it was seriously cold. We walked into Santiago on June 1 and it was chilly enough for me to wear my jacket. The next day was sunny and warm and I don't think I ever had my Parka back out after that...but it was definitely out most days during my walk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think that what constitutes cold for me and what constitutes cold for you are probably two very different things. But consider this - Spain and Mass have roughly the same climate. And on the coast (are you walking the via del Norte?) it will be windier and colder.
I figured I would be really comfortable when we reached the Meseta - flat and hot (just like Texas). But in fact that was easily the hardest area for me and for my son. I ended up with terrible blisters and was down for the count for a couple of days and we thought that he might have some sort of stress fracture in his foot. Near Astorga (where I bought the parka) the wind blew like NW Texas and it was seriously cold. We walked into Santiago on June 1 and it was chilly enough for me to wear my jacket. The next day was sunny and warm and I don't think I ever had my Parka back out after that...but it was definitely out most days during my walk.

I agree with you, cold is relative. My wife and I walked March/ April last year. We had a light, fast dry fleece and our rain jackets. That was enough for us for the coldest days we encountered with temperatures of -3 C to +2 C. But then, we are Canadianas and we are used to hike on much colder days. So my thinking is: consider what you are used to and dress accordingly.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn
I will be traveling from Ireland and hope to arrive in SJPP on April 27 , I have no accommodation booked so any suggestions appreciated.

hi everyone from a fabulous sunny day in Cape Town ... I did my first Camino May - July 2014 followed by 8 weeks of lying about on beaches in Greece, France, Portugal (I had to recover :) ) ... I honestly never thought I'd have the need to go back for a re-do ... and I've done nothing but think about the Camino since - I set off for my re-do from SJPdP on 16 May 2015 - am now counting the days .. 90 ... ohhh perhaps I need to actually get a spot of training in!!

Carla, I'm so glad we're starting on the same day from St. Jean! I visited Cape Town a few months ago and loved it. Look out for me. I'll be the Canadian wearing an Aussie hat :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Arn
I'm a first timer...starting Oct. 2015. Partial - last 125 miles.

Welcome Brendan and Buen Camino!

I'm a first timer...starting Oct. 2015. Partial - last 125 miles.

Welcome Shurolla and Buen Camino! I'm starting in SJPdP September 7th so I may see you in those 125 miles!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Carla, I'm so glad we're starting on the same day from St. Jean! I visited Cape Town a few months ago and loved it. Look out for me. I'll be the Canadian wearing an Aussie hat :)
Hi Angela... good to hear you loved Cape Town :) and I'll keep an eye out for you, in your Aussie hat :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a wonderful place to gather information. Still in the planning, we anticipate starting out late September from Leon. So far we're looking to fly into Madrid from Ottawa and take a fast train to Leon. We're allowing for 22 days, which puts us in Santiago mid October. Looking forward to getting to know folks here and along the way.

Welcome John and Deborah. I leave SJPdP September 7th so I may see you guys on "The Way" Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a wonderful place to gather information. Still in the planning, we anticipate starting out late September from Leon. So far we're looking to fly into Madrid from Ottawa and take a fast train to Leon. We're allowing for 22 days, which puts us in Santiago mid October. Looking forward to getting to know folks here and along the way.
Hi John and Deborah, wish you a great experience and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino Oravasaari!

Today a friend from madrid was able to booked me the ticket from Pamplona to SJPDP. GREAT NEWS!!!! My train leave Barcelona on Sunday May 17 at 7:30 am to the beautiful city of Pamplona. Then from Pamplona to SJPDP the same day with CONDA at 14:30. I will spend the night at the Gite (albergue) Ultreia which I booked a couple of days ago. So, my beginning, my starting day, el principio de mi historia en el camino, will take place on Monday, May 18. I'm very happy and exited about this, I hope I will be able to remember the advice from all members of this amazing forum. Thank you all for taking the time and dedication to help a biginner like me. For the ones doing the camino in May, hope to meet you all en el camino.

Today a friend from madrid was able to booked me the ticket from Pamplona to SJPDP. GREAT NEWS!!!! My train leave Barcelona on Sunday May 17 at 7:30 am to the beautiful city of Pamplona. Then from Pamplona to SJPDP the same day with CONDA at 14:30. I will spend the night at the Gite (albergue) Ultreia which I booked a couple of days ago. So, my beginning, my starting day, el principio de mi historia en el camino, will take place on Monday, May 18. I'm very happy and exited about this, I hope I will be able to remember the advice from all members of this amazing forum. Thank you all for taking the time and dedication to help a biginner like me. For the ones doing the camino in May, hope to meet you all en el camino.
Hi JLC, We will also be starting from SJPdP on the 18th May. My husband Simon and I arrive from NZ/HongKong/Paris/Biarritz on the 16th, rest and prep day on the 17th and begin our longest day(!) on the 18th. We look forward to meeting you (we are beginners too).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi JLC, We will also be starting from SJPdP on the 18th May. My husband Simon and I arrive from NZ/HongKong/Paris/Biarritz on the 16th, rest and prep day on the 17th and begin our longest day(!) on the 18th. We look forward to meeting you (we are beginners too).
My starting point is Miami. I will spend the night at Gite Ultreia in SJPDP. Hope I can meet you Sarah and Simon. See you guys on the road or in SJPDP. Buen viaje and buen camino.

I am going to throw my hat in the ring for the class of 2015 and walk the Camino in June-July. I now it is a busy time of year but I guess that's part of the Camino experience. I will book my flights in mid-May once I have some money. But I am committing myself to the experience.

I am going to throw my hat in the ring for the class of 2015 and walk the Camino in June-July. I now it is a busy time of year but I guess that's part of the Camino experience. I will book my flights in mid-May once I have some money. But I am committing myself to the experience.

I've also read it's the most busiest time to walk the camino. But the most forum members are walking in spring or autumn. Am I missing something?:oops:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've also read it's the most busiest time to walk the camino. But the most forum members are walking in spring or autumn. Am I missing something?:oops:

I'm going in May and October just because I wanted to go when it's a bit cooler.

I love the busy time, but don't like the heat, so I have generally gone in spring and fall. Absent agoraphobia, summer is great.

I’ll be walking SJPDP to SdC starting in late June! My wife will be joining me for the last 100km. I had an amazing experience walking 150km on the Jacobsweg trail from Salzburg two years ago. It was a week that changed my life, I’ve been planning for the CF ever since!

Buen Camino!

I’ll be walking SJPDP to SdC starting in late June! My wife will be joining me for the last 100km. I had an amazing experience walking 150km on the Jacobsweg trail from Salzburg two years ago. It was a week that changed my life, I’ve been planning for the CF ever since!

Buen Camino!
Welcome on this wonderful forum. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome, good for you. Wish you a great experience and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm walking in September/October due to the cooler weather and slightly smaller crowds.

Buen Camino!

Welcome and Buen Camino!

We received our credentials and shells (Thanks, Ivar!) and we will commence our first Camino in June. Doing the Ingles this time...Frances will come in a few years when we can take the required time. I have already posted some basic questions on the Ingles forum and I have to say this is a most helpful site. Between the answers provided and additional research though the archives we are ready to go.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We received our credentials and shells (Thanks, Ivar!) and we will commence our first Camino in June. Doing the Ingles this time...Frances will come in a few years when we can take the required time. I have already posted some basic questions on the Ingles forum and I have to say this is a most helpful site. Between the answers provided and additional research though the archives we are ready to go.

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino rlr9200!

Buen Camino!
Wishing you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm planning to do my first ever Camino starting June 10 from Sevilla to do the VDLP-Sanabres route. Yes, it's madness doing it in summer but I'm hoping that living in the tropics is good preparation. Anyone else from downunder going to be around in June-July?

Hi, I am from Brisbane, Australia and i will be walking the Camino Frances in May and June, 2015! Am honoured to be part of the '15 cohort!

Buen camino everyone!
Unfortunately I have had to cancel my plans for this year. :-( I fell and have some tears in the meniscus in my knee which will require Physio and my husband has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I want to be around to support him through these first steps of confirmation biopsies, surgery etc.

I will be doing the walk next year I hope! I have only deferred it! :) Best wishes to all who make the pilgrimage in 2015. xo

Unfortunately I have had to cancel my plans for this year. :-( I fell and have some tears in the meniscus in my knee which will require Physio and my husband has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I want to be around to support him through these first steps of confirmation biopsies, surgery etc.

I will be doing the walk next year I hope! I have only deferred it! :) Best wishes to all who make the pilgrimage in 2015. xo

I definitely do not "like" all that hardship (or shall I say "challenge") confronting you, but I am wishing you the very, very best prayers and wishes for both of your speedy recoveries. Home, hearth, health, and heart is what you need right now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino Donna!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.