• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2018

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone! I'm planning my first Camino for September/October 2018. CF, starting at SJPDP. Would like to reach Santiago in around 33/34 days and then continue my walk to Finistere and Muxia. But.. we will see, how it goes.. Time and life will show when I'm there. :) I have no experience with hiking, I'm lazy to train yet, but I still have plenty of time and for me the most impotant thing atm is that I've decided to really go. Thinking about it ~5 years from time to time and finally my inner need to go is stronger than all the "but"s. Initially wanted to do it already in April/May, but I realized I need more time to prepare (physically and technically) and arrange everything at work and home before I go. Buen Camino! :)

Planning on Camino France with Mrs. about April 11th to ??. Experienced AT hiker... if you are a 'veteran' of the AT would love your thoughts on rationalizing what to pack for Camino Frances in the April - early May time frame. Thinking 20-25L packs (no tent, no pad?, limited food / water to carry, etc.) Assume that will need rain coat plus a puffy? More on AT if interested: at-2014.blogspot.com ;)

We have very limited time in May 2018, so are planning SjPdP to Pamplona. I have just seen the “extensive” alberge list and was wondering how soon should we be booking rooms? Also I am an insulin dependent diabetic (Medtronic pump), will getting insulin be an issue while on the trail - just incase I drop a vile, which I am known to have done before? After this we will be going to Paris/Amesterdam/UK for two weeks so backpack wise I’m sure we will survive with the 3pair rule I’ve been reading about on this and other forums for the Camino....thanks in advance

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Trevor Austin ;-)

For such a short Camino, booking ahead is a good idea, you can do that as soon as you have booked your flights. A few weeks beforehand should be enough. As for the insulin, I would take what you need and then triple that. It really isn't worth the hassle to get the right kind of insulin and, in the worst of cases, have to wait for it to be ordered. And the vials don't wait much, do they? Buen Camino, SY

We'll be walking Le Puy -St Jean-Irun-Oviedo-Santiago in May/June/July - we might see you on the way.
that would be great. there is a great Facebook group for the Le Puy section. It is called - Way of St James - Via Podiensis - Chemin du Puy-en-Velay. Lots of great info there. I am starting from Le Puy en Velay on 4 May. Not sure if I am staying on the CF route after Pamplona or not. Depends upon how busy things are at that time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings! I am looking to begin shortly after January 6, 2018. I'm still deciding whether to begin in Roncesvalles or SJPdP, likely Roncesvalles. I lived for 2 years in Logroño in the late 1990's and made wine in La Rioja, Campo de Borja and Navarra. I'm very excited to walk the route where I saw so many pilgrims before me and experiencing a life altering journey.

Arriving from New Zealand 18th April to walk Camino d'arles and Aragones to Pamplona. Then fly to Lisbon for the Camino Portuguese to finish in Santiago 24th June.
Would love to hear from someone who has walked the Arles route at this time of the year, in regards to the temperature.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn

I am. As of last night when I booked my flight from Vancouver to Dublin beginning April 17th.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hellou everyone,

I am planning for July/August doing a little different camino portugues. I want to go from Porto to Lisboa trough Fatima (i think). It will be my first time i do a huge thing like this. I probaly will do it alone. But if i meet someone who is also planning this road it will be nice.

Bom Caminho to everyone

My first Camino is planned for May 2018, Porto to Santiago. Of course, I suppose that means traditionally my Camino has already begun. Buen Camino!
Clarke, I’ll be on the path at the same time. Buen Camino & see you along the way.

Consigliere,

I hope so! It'd be great to find people from to here to share the journey with!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In March 2018 I am planning to walk the Kumano Kodo in Japan, thus gaining my Dual Pilgrim award. The Kumano Kodo is a sister pilgrimage trail to the Way of St James in Spain, and these are the only two Unesco World Heritage trails in the world. (I say planning - my flights are booked, I've made my reservation requests for minshukus and ryokans along the path, and paid for them! I just hope I will be fit enough and able to complete the walk)

At the end of April I hope to walk the last 100km or so of the Portuguese Camino, once again celebrating my birthday whilst on the Camino, most likely in Pontevedra.

There is the possibility of my also walking the Ingles at some point in 2018.

Buen Camino everyone!

Dear Julia,
I did kumano kodo last april, it was a really nice quite walk. The highlight of my trip besides dual pilgrims cert. were the food and hot springs. Dont foget to collect the credential and route info in the tourist office at Tanabe train station.
Have fun and buen camino
Stephen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last week in April and all of May on the CF. I am hoping to start in Roncesvalles as I know that with my age and physical infirmities the Pyrenees will be beyond my abilities. A year in the Nam as a Marine and a career in big city law enforcement took its toll. (Kids don't try this at home).

So if you are traveling them and see a really tall geezer gimping along, it will probably be the old Lurch. Nickname due to the old Addams family TV show of the 60s! Should probably change my logon name as I think about it.

So Buen camino to those of us working up to next year.

Well, I too, will be along the CF late April and into May. I'll look out for you!

I plan to do the Camino Frances, from SJPP to Sarria in mid-April. I will then be 78 but don't feel anything like that number.

My only concern is loneliness and getting lost!

I'll be along the same time so I'll watch out for you, there'll be enough pilgrims at the time I'm sure we won't be lonely nor do I think we'll be boxed in by a large number of pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, I have never done the Camino before and truthfully never gave it that much thought. The Nepali Himalayas are my spiritual refuge - a place I continue to return to walk, and clear my head, and to recharge my body and soul. Something about the Camino called to me, and I'm now thinking of changing my plans from Nepal to the camino in February 2018. I have all of the gear required, and ordered the guidebooks etc. I'm pretty comfortable with winter walking (being from Canada) - in fact I would almost hazard to say I prefer walking in the cooler weather (perhaps not the rain). I haven't booked my ticket yet but will do so once I make a plan. Hoping to see some of you on the trail. (Thinking of renting a bike from Burgos to Leon if possible for that section.) Meant to say - doing the French way but not sure if I will start in SJDP or perhaps further in such as Pamplona. I'd prefer to start in France but depends on the weather. I plan to fly into Paris.

Last edited:
I agree. I have wanted to walk the Camino for 40 years plus. My life partner committed suicide in March this year....life changing. So Camino is finally happening in April 2018.
I truly do understand, my husband took his life 2 years ago, life changing is such a mild way to put it after 38 years of marriage. This was supposed to be our trip, we planned it together. My solo camino begins April 25th, perhaps we will meet on the path Aquarius.

Hello, classmates! A newbie here. My flight will land in Biarritz on June 09, 2018. And will take off on July 18 from Santiago de Compostela. So I have 40 days to go with the flow and see where the Camino takes me. Working on my packing list, shopping for gear, learning some Spanish. The excitement reminds me almost of how I longed for Christmas during childhood :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leaving home on May 10-11 and starting the CF, again, on May 13, Mother's Day. This time, I will not be finished until my feet hit salt water.

UPDATE: As of Jan 24, I FINALLY got to see a physiotherapist to work on my IT Band etc. It was excruciatingly painful but today, Jan 25, I did 8 km without trying. Weight is down 20 lb too. The plan is to lose another 20 lb before I leave. It is all a matter of what is more important. For me, it is completing this pilgrimage.

Then next year, maybe a Celtic Camino. Heard of it? Walk a 25 km route in Ireland and then start at A Coruna and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago and pick up your Compostela.

UPDATE FEB 18/18 - While researching flights to Paris, I ended up booking a flight on May 4 instead of may 10/18. So, will stay in paris overnight May 5 and am reserving start date until I reach SJPP. If I feel strong, I will walk to Valcarlos on May 6 after train arrival. If I feel I need rest, I will stay in SJPP overnight and leave May 7/18.

With the decision to walk the Valcarlos route, I plan to finish the second day in Burgete or Espinal rather than Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife Pat and I start up the hill from SJPDP on 25th April.
Bodies and God willing, we will make to to SDC after about 50 days.........
Yes we walk slow. We're in no rush.

But that means we are likely to meet any of you who are starting between 25th April and 25th May !!
You'll catch us up :D:D:D

Look forward to seeing you out there..........

Last edited:
Flights booked.
I am hoping that my husband & I will be walking the Camino Portugues route from Lisbon on 8th March 2018, I'm very excited and Aidan doesn't know yet! (It's his surprise xmas pressie!!!), How could he not be delighted :rolleyes:
Well, was he?

Thank you Heather for your words. Yes it has been a very traumatic time. I think we walk the Camino when we are called to it. Planning for Camino brings focus and a dream closer for me.
It is my time to walk it and I look forward to being on the way and to meeting people from all across the globe. Thanks for dropping by to chat. I appreciate it
Aquarius, I wish you peace on your daily camino, and more so as you walk your Camino to Santiago. On the CF, the only albergue we booked was acuariosantiago.com. It involved a little walk into the Cathedral, but after 29 days, ha! It may or may not fit your bill, and I would choose thelaststamp.es again, that is the one we booked at the end of the camino from Porto. Buen Camino.

€149,-
I wish I could say he jumped with joy!! Truth be told - he hasn't said "no"....... Now I have to wait and hope the stars align.
:)
So far, so good! Actually, Maura, reading my very brief question again reminds of a story: the first day back in January, primary 3, little girl asks teacher: any news about that couple that was looking for a house?... i walked from Porto and loved it. I wish you Buen Camino, to the pair of you!

I'll be along the same time so I'll watch out for you, there'll be enough pilgrims at the time I'm sure we won't be lonely nor do I think we'll be boxed in by a large number of pilgrims.
Hi! I will be starting the Camino Frances on April 26th with family members joining me at various stages on my way to (hopefully!!) Santiago
Paul

€149,-
My wife Pat and I start up the hill from SJPDP on 24th April.
Bodies and God willing, we will make to to SDC after about 50 days.........
Yes we walk slow. We're in no rush.

But that means we are likely to meet any of you who are starting between 24th April and 24th May !!
You'll catch us up :D:D:D

Look forward to seeing you out there..........

Hi! I will be starting the Camino Frances on April 26th with family members joining me at various stages on my way to (hopefully!!) Santiago
Paul

Hi all! Starting my Camino in Sarria in either September or October. (waiting for the vacation schedule at work to make its way to me). This has been on my bucket list for the longest time, and I wish I could do more of the Way, but hey, everyone has to start somewhere with the time they've got :)

Buen Camino all, and hope to run into a few of you along the trail!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all! Starting my Camino in Sarria in either September or October. (waiting for the vacation schedule at work to make its way to me). This has been on my bucket list for the longest time, and I wish I could do more of the Way, but hey, everyone has to start somewhere with the time they've got :)

Buen Camino.

The section from Sarria is really nice. You'll love it.
Certainly more crowded, but in a way that's nice too. Just different.

My wife Pat did that last year with me and now she is 'game' to try from St Jean this year :eek:

Be warned.............you'll be back for more.;)

Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Buen Camino.

The section from Sarria is really nice. You'll love it.
Certainly more crowded, but in a way that's nice too. Just different.

My wife Pat did that last year with me and now she is 'game' to try from St Jean this year :eek:

Be warned.............you'll be back for more.;)

I'm looking forward to that happening! Once I get my initial camino completed, I would love to start in SJPdP next year and do it in 2 week increments. (3 weeks if I can get work's approval to take the additional week off back to back). Y'all ready for your upcoming camino?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I truly do understand, my husband took his life 2 years ago, life changing is such a mild way to put it after 38 years of marriage. This was supposed to be our trip, we planned it together. My solo camino begins April 25th, perhaps we will meet on the path Aquarius.
My sincere condolences Diane. I read in recent literature that The American Psychiatry Assoc stated "suicide survivors, like you and me, experience a "catastrophic" experience." That sums it up. Glad to read you are walking it solo. I hope we do meet on the way. Serendipity if we do. Buen camino.

Aquarius, I wish you peace on your daily camino, and more so as you walk your Camino to Santiago. On the CF, the only albergue we booked was acuariosantiago.com. It involved a little walk into the Cathedral, but after 29 days, ha! It may or may not fit your bill, and I would choose thelaststamp.es again, that is the one we booked at the end of the camino from Porto. Buen Camino.
Thank you Kirkie for your kind wishes and help re bookings. Much appreciated.

Greetings to everyone. I will be walking the the Camino Primitivo alone from Oviedo, starting either on the 22/23rd of May 2018, and hopefully will accomplish it within 15 days.

Thank you for the wonderful amount of information on this forum, which often is mind boggling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings to everyone. I will be walking the the Camino Primitivo alone from Oviedo, starting either on the 22/23rd of May 2018, and hopefully will accomplish it within 15 days.

Thank you for the wonderful amount of information on this forum, which often is mind boggling.
Hello Kaje,
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Late February - Mid April 2018: Camino Via de la Plata Seville - Astorga - Camino Frances to Leon (wrong way) - Camino Salvador to Oviedo - Camino Primitivo to Melide - Camino Frances to Santiago.

Last edited:
very nice! we are already different that will start between April and May 2018.
an exciting wait. good things

Hello!

In the end I set my date of arrival and it will be April 6, arriving in Barcelona and then train to Pamplona. My journey will start from there.

I'm excited but not too much ... I hope I have strong emotions on the way.

Happy New Year to all of you :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've been thinking of walking the Camino for a couple of years now, and last autumn, after having walked a small part of the Via Francigena in Valle d'Aosta, I decided to act. But for a bunch of reasons, I wanted to go on the Paris-Chartres pilgrimage first.

Well, as soon as I started planning my Paris-Chartres pilgrimage (I intend to go in late May or early June of this year), I discovered that it is part of the Camino. Guess this makes me a member of this class, too! As the nice guy from Les Chemins Vers Compostelle told me when I asked if I could use their Credencial for walking from Paris to Chartres, "you go with this Credencial to Chartres, and then you keep it until, one day, you reach Santiago de Compostela... even if it's in 2025!"

(I certainly hope to get to Santiago sooner than 2025!:):):))

After years of false alarms, my wife are booked, and walking the Camino Inglés from Ferrol in March 2018. We wanted to scratch the pergrino itch-- and still plan to walk the CF after the kids are older.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I had planned on doing the Camino Frances in the summer of 2017, but my father passed away unexpectedly, and our daughter got married. So, June 2018 is planned and plane tickets are purchased. It seems real now. We land in Paris on June 18th, fly to Biarritz on the 19th, and then we will either take a shuttle or the train to SJPdP. We are leaving SJPdP on June 21 after a couple of days rest to get over our jet lag. I have really appreciated all of the information on this forum, and I look forward to learning more.
Oh wow! My son and I are flying from CDG to Biarritz on the 19th as well!! We will certainly have to meet! As of now we are planning to stay just one night in SJPP but I have yet to get confirmation from Orisson and I can’t get my payment to go through on the Roncesvalle site. Did you run into any troubles securing your reservations?

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn
I'd love to do it this June! :cool:

Hi, I'm planning to start my first camino in early May 2018, from SJPP. I've been thinking about this for a number of years and decided that now is the time to take the plunge. Having retired a few years ago, I don't have time constraints to worry about so hopefully I'll be able to complete the route to Santiago. Reading the different threads on this forum has been a great help with getting prepared. Buen Camino to you all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We're a couple from Australia planning our 1st Camino leaving from SJPP in September

Last edited:

€149,-
My wife and I just bought our plane tickets and we are very excited to join the Class of 2018. We are flying into Biarritz late on 13 September and plan to begin the Camino Frances from SJPdP on 15 or 16 September. We fly home from Madrid 25 October, so we should have plenty of time to take in the full experience, hopefully including Finisterre and perhaps Muxia. I'm the planner, so this forum is amazing, though overwhelming, in the amount of information that it has. At the end of the day I figure it takes good shoes, a light pack, a broad smile, and an open mind!

A lot of people already seems to know when to arrive in SJPDP and have their flight already booked back home. What happen in the worst scenario if jou don’t make it on time, or you have to end your camino sooner than planned. Do you have a ticket insurance? Just a question because i booked just a one way ticket because i don’t no exactly which day i will arrive.

We booked with airline miles and figure we can change things if it comes to that (a $75 change fee), but hopefully not! If things go even close to plan we should have some extra time "just in case". With the amount of time we have planned, we should also have the flexibility to take extra rest or explore Madrid for a few days before heading home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Buen Camino
Arn

I'm looking forward to starting the Camino in September 2018! I'm excited, nervous, apprehensive, and thrilled to undertake this adventure!!! I will be spending my 65th birthday on the Way with whomever Peligrinos I meet....

Hello from Singapore.
This is my first post after joining the forum exactly a year ago. A big thank you to all as I have learnt a lot from this forum and am sure will benefit more from all the tips and advice provided. Praying that I will be able to take extended work leave next year as I am planning to walk for the first time, the Camino Frances starting mid-September 2018.

I hope to do this walk at my own pace - to enjoy the walk rather compelling myself to complete the walk in a limited time. Will be walking alone and perhaps make some friends along the way.

Thank you once again for all forum contributors - many fears that I had initially were allayed. Biggest fear I supposed would be the language barrier. I better start learning a couple of Spanish phrases to get by.

Perhaps we will cross paths on the Camino? I too will start mid September 2018! Buon Camino!!!

Hi Keith , wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .
Well, plans have changed already, a taste of what's to come on the journey? I've just booked my flight to Biarritz form London on 28th February. I'll be travelling to SJPdP the following day and plan to start on the way the following day 2nd March. I'm hoping to complete the journey in time to return home on 9th of April. Hopefully that's enough time without rushing around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm looking forward to starting the Camino in September 2018! I'm excited, nervous, apprehensive, and thrilled to undertake this adventure!!! I will be spending my 65th birthday on the Way with whomever Peligrinos I meet....
Hi GloriaAnn , September is a great time to walk the Camino according to my wife anyway. She walked alone in 2013 and she enjoy'd it very much and so will you.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Well, plans have changed already, a taste of what's to come on the journey? I've just booked my flight to Biarritz form London on 28th February. I'll be travelling to SJPdP the following day and plan to start on the way the following day 2nd March. I'm hoping to complete the journey in time to return home on 9th of April. Hopefully that's enough time without rushing around.
You will be fine, Peter

Hi everyone,
Thank you for this wonderful forum here, it already has provided me with a lot of useful information! And so much more to look into.

I'm making plans to do my first Camino Frances (from SJPP) starting in the beginning of September 2018. Currently looking into plane tickets from Tallinn, Estonia so don't really a specific start date... yet.
I'm so excited to finally fulfill my dream after almost 15 years of dreaming about it!

Hola, I am walking the CF, departing SJPDP on Friday 11 May, after leaving Sydney on 8 May. Looking forward to completing the entire journey by mid June, with some flexibility in my plans if required. Buen Camino

Howdy, from Texas! I hope to see some of you on the camino. My departure is scheduled 26 April 2018 from SJPDP. My husband will join me a few days later to walk a small segment, and then will meet me again at the finish line so we can enjoy a few days in Portugal as well. Otherwise, I'm going solo. Getting start/end dates as well as flights/transportation has already been an adventure unto itself. I'm so excited!! See ya'll soon.

I fly to Biarritz on 21st March, expect to overnight in Bayonne and get to StJdPP the following day. Return flight from Santiago on 2nd May, so nearly 6 weeks to do it. My husband and 2 friends will be joining me to walk the last 7 days, with a few days spare at the end, but the rest of the time, yo voy sola.

This is my first Camino and will make up the second half of my sabbatical. The first half consists of preparation - physical, practical and spiritual

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm planning (and hoping) to walk the Camino with my husband on April 2018, the year I turn 30 years old =)
But first, in october this year, we're going on a vacation to the US for pleasure and to find good gear for the Camino. So let's see how that goes first!

BTW, if you have any suggestions on stores we could find good backpacks and sleeping bags, we would love to hear!
REI is by far the best place to shop, they have a very experienced sales staff.

I fly to Biarritz on 21st March, expect to overnight in Bayonne and get to StJdPP the following day. Return flight from Santiago on 2nd May, so nearly 6 weeks to do it. My husband and 2 friends will be joining me to walk the last 7 days, with a few days spare at the end, but the rest of the time, yo voy sola.

This is my first Camino and will make up the second half of my sabbatical. The first half consists of preparation - physical, practical and spiritual
Say hi when you arrive at the Pilgrimsoffice,I'am voluntering at the first floor above the Pilgrimsoffice at the "huiskamer der lage landen "

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Starting the Mozarabe from Malaga on 11th Feb for a week then portugese from Lisbon on 11th Sept

Starting the Mozarabe from Malaga on 11th Feb for a week then portugese from Lisbon on 11th Sept
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter .
p.s.
This year Iám voluntering in the 'Huiskamer der lage landen '' at the first floor above the Pilgrimsoffice .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh wow! My son and I are flying from CDG to Biarritz on the 19th as well!! We will certainly have to meet! As of now we are planning to stay just one night in SJPP but I have yet to get confirmation from Orisson and I can’t get my payment to go through on the Roncesvalle site. Did you run into any troubles securing your reservations?
We didn’t have any trouble for Roncesvalles or Orisson, but I was ridiculously anxious and did it quite awhile ago. :) I’m excited to hear of someone starting when we are!

Starting my first Camino on VDLP on 11th April from Seville. I'll walk 6 days and rest every 7th to see how I recuperate. That's as far as I have planned so far as I have heard that plans can change on the Camino!:p
I've been told I am mad but I'm always up for a challenge and this will be mega in more ways than one I'm sure. I've done a fair amount of walking in varied terrains and am in training to break in new footwear and get used to walking paved roads which I understand can be more punishing on the feet than rougher terrain. I confess to being very nervous but excited at the same time. I'm more worried about finding my way out of Seville than getting lost on the Camino itself. I have Kelly's guide which is a big help. Full of admiration for you veterans!

We didn’t have any trouble for Roncesvalles or Orisson, but I was ridiculously anxious and did it quite awhile ago. :) I’m excited to hear of someone starting when we are!
I had problem with payment by credit card. I emailed them, and instead, they sent me PayPal invoice, which I paid successfully via PayPal. They've been very pleasant.

Flights are purchased, departing Nova Scotia, Canada on Sept 10, 2018 for a SJPP to Santiago Camino beginning Sept 13th. Gear is assembled, hours and hours of wonderful forum and blog reading logged and now I guess it's time to start clocking some pre-Camino walks. Beyond excited for this adventure with my bestie as newly retired ladies figuring out what comes next.

Well, 2018 is rolling right along, so it's high time for me to check in with the Class of 2018.

I leave the States April 15 and will arrive in Burgos on the 16th, to pick up where I left off 2 1/2 years ago.

I'd really like to get to Santiago (as in I'd REALLY like to get to Santiago) before it's time to meet my husband in Madrid, May 16. But I'm not going to kill myself -- like I almost did the last time o_O trying to make pre-determined distances. If I don't get to Santiago..... well, I have a few Plan B's in mind.

So I'm counting on St. James to get me where I need to be, when I need to be there, wherever that might be. Hear that, St. James? I hope you're listening. ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Arriving in Porto on 6 April, walking to Santiago and returning to Frankfurt on the 23rd. Walking with my adult daughter

Buen Camino
Arn
Yes! I am a member of the class of 2018, planning my first camino walk from sjdd to santiago beginning on or around sept 1. I am from massachusetts usa and spending my weekends walking around our snowy community to begin my training early.

Hi everyone! I am planning my first Camino as we speak. I will begin May 2 2018 from SJPdP and do the CF. I am booking flights now and believe I will come through Paris. Would love to hear if anyone else is leaving around then?

I do have a question! I remember reading somewhere that it was potentially better to leave on a weekday rather than a weekend because it is less crowded. Does that ring true to anyone who has been before?

. . . I remember reading somewhere that it was potentially better to leave on a weekday rather than a weekend because it is less crowded . . .
Miss Kelly, welcome to the forum, your first post! Yes, it is a good idea to leave St Jean on a weekday, beware that at a normal pace you will be arriving Pamplona for the weekend and the city will be crowded, so, recommend making reservations for Pamplona. If you need information to make reservations for St Jean and any other location just ask. Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. . . So I'm counting on St. James to get me where I need to be, when I need to be there, wherever that might be. Hear that, St. James? . . .
Miss Bala, of course St James is listening and he will get you to Santiago alive and well, and on time for your trip to Madrid to meet your husband. God Bless you and your family, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Flights are purchased, departing Nova Scotia, Canada on Sept 10, 2018 for a SJPP to Santiago Camino beginning Sept 13th . . .
Miss Krista, you have picked an awesome time of the year for your walk. Your planning is almost done, now is time to execute. You are going to love it! Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen Camino
Arn
Aw shucks! My plans have changed. Originally wanted to do it in June of this year, but the price for a ticket to Madrid from Miami is currently too rich for my blood. Plus, there's a lot to prepare and get in order to make a trip that won't turn into a major snafu. I'll try booking this summer for June 2019. Buen Camino to all 2018 pilgrims!!

Well, 2018 is rolling right along, so it's high time for me to check in with the Class of 2018.

I leave the States April 15 and will arrive in Burgos on the 16th, to pick up where I left off 2 1/2 years ago.

I'd really like to get to Santiago (as in I'd REALLY like to get to Santiago) before it's time to meet my husband in Madrid, May 16. But I'm not going to kill myself -- like I almost did the last time o_O trying to make pre-determined distances. If I don't get to Santiago..... well, I have a few Plan B's in mind.

So I'm counting on St. James to get me where I need to be, when I need to be there, wherever that might be. Hear that, St. James? I hope you're listening. ;)
We picked up in our trail in Burgos in 2015 with a month available to us time wise. We had ample time to get to Santiago and carried on to Finisterre and Muxia before returning to Madrid for our flight home. We were careful to minimize our distances at the start to avoid injuries. Hopefully you got St. James attention! Best wishes to you!

We picked up in our trail in Burgos in 2015 with a month available to us time wise. We had ample time to get to Santiago and carried on to Finisterre and Muxia before returning to Madrid for our flight home. We were careful to minimize our distances at the start to avoid injuries. Hopefully you got St. James attention! Best wishes to you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year was to have been our year to do a portion of the Portugese route. After some early investigation into flights, we felt that perhaps we should talk to a travel agent or wait as prices seemed very high. I guess it was something else holding us back. My Dad's health began to rapidly decline and we decided that it was not to be a Camino year. He passed away in late March and my Mom was diagnosed with dementia. It has been a tough year but we now have our flights booked for August 8th - September 2. We fly in and out of Lisbon and will sort out the details from there. Looking forward to getting ourselves back into a camino mindset.

Hello everyone! Planning to walk this spring, but not sure yet which route(s) I'll take and when exactly I'll start my walk... Hopefully mid March at the latest. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys on the way ;)

Thanks for the report, volleyjanice!

Last year was to have been our year to do a portion of the Portugese route. After some early investigation into flights, we felt that perhaps we should talk to a travel agent or wait as prices seemed very high. I guess it was something else holding us back. My Dad's health began to rapidly decline and we decided that it was not to be a Camino year. He passed away in late March and my Mom was diagnosed with dementia. It has been a tough year but we now have our flights booked for August 8th - September 2. We fly in and out of Lisbon and will sort out the details from there. Looking forward to getting ourselves back into a camino mindset.

Life has a way of doing that to us sometimes, doesn't it. So sorry for your loss. I thought I'd have finished my Camino by the spring of 2016, but here it is two years later, for some of the same reasons as your delay. May this journey be for you all that you need it to be at this time.. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning on Camino France with Mrs. about April 11th to ??. Experienced AT hiker... if you are a 'veteran' of the AT would love your thoughts on rationalizing what to pack for Camino Frances in the April - early May time frame. Thinking 20-25L packs (no tent, no pad?, limited food / water to carry, etc.) Assume that will need rain coat plus a puffy? More on AT if interested: at-2014.blogspot.com ;)

Hi, Johnvert.
I've thru-hiked the PCT and Colorado Trail. The equipment list is quite different for Camino. My base weight for those trips hovered around 15-17 pounds. My Camino pack's base weight is 7.5 to 8.7 pounds. I'd be happy to provide gear list examples, so if interested please contact me via the private messaging tool on the forum.

Hello All,

Wife and I will be doing short camino this July 1-10 from Porto...hope to see some of you out there..

Life has a way of doing that to us sometimes, doesn't it. So sorry for your loss. I thought I'd have finished my Camino by the spring of 2016, but here it is two years later, for some of the same reasons as your delay. May this journey be for you all that you need it to be at this time.. Buen Camino.
Yes indeed, life and the Camino often prove to have different plans than we do. We have become more and more convinced that things happen for a reason and if we are patient, it usually becomes clear to us. At least that makes us feel better when things don't go as planned! Enjoy your travels Bala.

€149,-
Hi all- Class of 2018 here. I plan to leave SJPdP around April 5. First time pilgrim, solo, and I would be more freaked out if I weren't trying to put every spare moment into work so I can take April and May off. So goes the ways of the modern world. See you on the trail!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back