• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2020

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi GeorgieDAust, I fly out from Australia on 2nd April too! Will train to SJPP and start walking that weekend. Might be blown in the same path sometime :)
How amazing!! The world is an amazing place full of amazing coincidences :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi: I am a returning pilgrim. From Northern California, 70 years young, solo.

Doing the CP coastal route (Porto - Santiago March 1-14) and then the CF (Leon-Santiago March 15-April 1). Can't wait for another wonderful Camino experience, and life lessons.

Looking forward to meeting pilgrims and making new friends from all over this globe.
Fred

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m planning my second Camino Francis starting May 2020. I’ve informed my husband, family, friends and surgeon. I’ve marked my cell phone and iPad calendars with departure dates and return dates allowing for more rest days. I’ve marked my husbands as to when he’ll fly to Santiago to meet me. He couldn’t last time. I’ve told him we will walk together to Finisterre where we will spend our 27th wedding anniversary. I’m not usually so bossy...but this is important to me...for us. All these plans are my healing inspiration pulling me forward. Today February 16th is the first birthday of my new knee. The first of four. The fourth my left hip will be on March 7th. My first Camino was such an incredible life changing experience. Dreamt of for thirty years. I decided to finally do that first one after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and skin Cancer on my face a week later the year before. It was also a very trying year. Four surgeries on the same area of skin cancer...and between two topical Cemo treatments I decided on my first Camino. Booking airline tickets from Toronto to Paris a week later, in December 2016. Walked from May28th to July 4th 35 amazing days. From SJDP to Santiago. So much has happened since that time. One week after my return I dislocated my hips waterskiing. Finishing both hips and eventually both my previously injured knees. Months after my return Cancer showed up again in the same spot on my face. MOH surgery found a marble sized tumour under the scar tissue left from the Cemo. Now removed and finally cancer free. Then two surgeries in the fall of 2017 for my Lipedema. All that brought me to today. I can’t wait to return again. I pray to take every beloved step again. I know it won’t be easy...it wasn’t last time...yet I know I’ll be pulled forward one step at a time .....
Those of you that are planning for your first...I know you’ll have so many questions...and fears...just don’t give up .... Go Slowly and Experience Every Step
Buen Camino ❤👣
You go, girl!

I was Class of 2001, 2014, and 2018. Tickets are booked for 2 April flight to Pamplona. Game on!

Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum today. I am planning of doing the Sarria to Santiago route in the beginning of May 2020. I would like to go to Leon first for a day or so before starting in Sarria. I am researching as much as I can so I will be lurking around on the forum absorbing all the information.
This will my first Camino and I cannot wait for that day to come!
Roberto
Would love to hear about your experience. my husband and I are walking the same route in August. This is also our First Camino, and so excited!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all,
After a few years of wanting to make this happen, my husband and I may finally have our chance to travel the Camino next spring, late March-early April, 2020. I am looking for advice on where to start our pilgrimage, keeping in mind we may have only three weeks or so to be on the trail. Also, we may spend some time in France after we complete our pilgrimage so I'll be looking for advice on where to store items safely long term (for those three weeks). Starting my research on my own in earnest soon, but if anyone has helpful advice they'd like to offer, please do.
Peace,
SSTW

Just an update to those interested. My husband Rob and I will be flying into Madrid from the States, landing early on March 13th. Later that afternoon we will be taking the train to Leon. We will be spending Saturday in Leon and setting out on our Pilgrimage on Sunday morning the 15th.

Our plan is to take it easy and split up a few of the typical single day stages into two day ones, especially the longer or more difficult passages. We have 20 days to do the typical 13 day trip. This was intentional when we planned it, because we didn't want to be in a rush or on any ones schedule but our own.

It is a good thing we planned it this way because I ended up injuring my ankle soon after booking our airplane tickets. After a slow and long recovery I am confident that I CAN handle the mileage now, my last training hike was up to 8 miles (nearly 13 km) and I have 3 weeks more for training to increase it.

Doing our final shopping for and packing of our gear. I am swarming the forums daily for answers to still unanswered questions, and building on the excitement. I am hoping to see a few of you on the road.

Peace,
--Elisa

BC,
SSTW

It's all carved into stone now ! Purchased my flight tickets for my 2020 Camino. Beginning in Pamplona and terminating in Santiago...July 21/August 22...time constraint this year, but willing to walk the modified camino instead of none at all. ( Camino #6 )...bought my tickets from Boston to Pamplona & Santiago to Boston with flyer miles for the third year in a row! ( and a $37 fee ) Looking forward to meeting new faces and hearts !

Hi,
I will be walking from St Jean on the 26th of April 2020 coming from New Zealand walking solo. never been to France or Spain before so very exciting time for me! I walked the Offas Dyke walk last year in Wales so gave me a little taste of a multi day walk. quite nervous but excited at the same time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I am planning my first Camino (CF) in September / October 2020, giving myself 6 weeks so hopefully I will reach Finisterre and/or Muxia, too. I don't have an exact travel date yet, but I am excited about it!

Would love to hear about your experience. my husband and I are walking the same route in August. This is also our First Camino, and so excited!
Hi,
I will definitely post about my experiences! I am in the finally stages of my plans, all that’s left is purchasing the airline tickets. I got everything else hashed out the best I can. So excited to start !
Roberto

Hi,
I am planning my first Camino (CF) in September / October 2020, giving myself 6 weeks so hopefully I will reach Finisterre and/or Muxia, too. I don't have an exact travel date yet, but I am excited about it!
Maybe we will run into each other, my wife and I have plans for late sept thru oct.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe we will run into each other, my wife and I have plans for late sept thru oct.
That would be nice! But I am starting somewhere around September 6th (depends on my train connections, but I can't figure that out yet), so I am probably ahead of you...

I just booked my flight back home from Porto, so this is getting real!

Four nights in Barcelona, train to Pamplona and taxi to SJPdP - Walking out of St Jean April 7. CF April/May and then train to Porto to walk Portuguese Coastal route mid May.

Hi,
Finisterre and Muxia are wonderful, I hope you are able to find your way there...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think what brings me the most anxiety is finding the correct train from the Madrid airport to pamplona. But I'm sure I will figure it out.
Welcome to the forum Kathy! ALSA bus company has direct buses to Pamplona from T4 (there is a free shuttle bus between all terminals at the airport) several times per day. Very comfortable and saves the hassle of getting to train station in the city.

¡Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm starting my first camino around the 10th of June. Starting from Irun or Bilbao and doing the Camino Olvidado and Invierno. If I have enough time I'd like to start with Irun-Bilbao and finish at finisterra or Muxia and if not just the Camino Olvidado and finish with the invierno. Really looking forward to it

Class of 2020 1st timer
I booked my flight for March 18th to Biarritz and off I go for 5 weeks. I am not prebooking just praying. I am going to be free as a bird. I think my biggest worry is being too cold and foot injury/ blisters. I think of little else but my Camino these days, am working on my Spanish and wish I could walk more to practice but time is a luxury. I am loving this site. It is so exciting.
Miya

Hi Miya
Myself and a friend who I met on our first camino in 2016 are also flying in to Biarritz on March 18th. We start walking the following day. Are you on the Ryanair flight? If you are then I guess you'll see us on the flight.
We also haven't booked anywhere except Roncevalles. If you haven't I strongly suggest you go on their website, book now, pay and also book your dinner. You will be glad at the end of the first day that you had and I am on the understanding that it is now required (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Steve

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum Kathy! ALSA bus company has direct buses to Pamplona from T4 (there is a free shuttle bus between all terminals at the airport) several times per day. Very comfortable and saves the hassle of getting to train station in the city.

¡Buen Camino!
thank you

Doing my second camino starting in Lisbon Early June. The best part is, I've stayed in touch with some of the people I met doing the CF in 2018 (I began the walk solo). Two of them, are meeting me to start the CP together In Lisbon and a third from the gang is is meeting us closer to Porto. All of us are spread out in different. I can't wait to see them again in person and, assuming all goes well enough, it will be wonderful to walk into SDC with them a second time.

I think of it as the "cheater" way but am starting in Sarria in early May and staying in hotels and have pre-paid. With my awful sleep habits the thought of a large cramped alburgue would be a nightmare. So we shall see how this goes and, who know, perhaps I will go for a longer walk in the future. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think of it as the "cheater" way but am starting in Sarria in early May and staying in hotels and have pre-paid. With my awful sleep habits the thought of a large cramped alburgue would be a nightmare. So we shall see how this goes and, who know, perhaps I will go for a longer walk in the future. Buen Camino!
There is no such thing as a "cheater" unless you lie about what you are doing - and then the only person it will harm is yourself! So don't be concerned about your method of walking - just go and experience all you can. Buen Camino!

Certainly not a “cheater way”. Everyone walks their own Camino their own way. I am two months from starting my 4th, and I learned early on my first CF the advantages of booking ahead. At 75 I am definitely not in the “bed race”. And I don’t bother anyone when I get up and leave at 0600. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Finally have flights booked and other transfers arranged. Arrive in SJPDP on 4 May 2020 and begin walking on 6 May. Not long now,
Arriving SJPDP 5 May, starting 6 May. Have reservations at Orisson. Buen Camino

I just booked my flight to Porto today! 😁 I'll be walking Porto - Santiago via a combination of the Portuguese Coastal, the Portuguese Central, and the Spiritual Variante starting on August 30. It will be my first Camino, though my older sister invited me to join her on the CF over 10 years ago, when I was in a much different season of life, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to do this. LOL.

How did my journey start? I'll be 50 this summer, and over the Christmas holidays a family member asked me what I was going to do to celebrate. Before my brain even registered the thought, the following words were coming out of my mouth: "I think I'm going to walk the Camino!" I figured I'd better pay attention to myself, and here I am, with planning well under way. Very excited to see what this journey holds for me!

Buen Camino!

Karen

Did my first Camino Sept/Oct 2018 from SJPdP. I am hooked. God willing, I will be starting my second (doing the Frances again) from SJPdp on APRIL 30!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sadly my return to the Camino this year will be a dream for another time. With my severely compromised immune system due to Lyme diseases...this is just not the time for travel or communal living.
Buen Camino 👣❤️

Hi pilgrims!

I've been lurking this forum on and off for a few months and made myself a user a few weeks back but haven't posted yet until now, so thought it was about time to say hello.

I'm a somewhat eccentric married norwegian man of 43 winters with a couple of kids.
Decided in october on doing the Camino for the first time this year with planned start in SJPDP on April 1st.
Gear is bought, and I've done a few hundred kilometers of walking on gravel, mountain trails and roads to prepare this somewhat overweight body that struggles with a touch of COPD.
Personally I think preparation's been decent as I've shed (quite) a few pounds and the 500m fairly steep uphill (with a 10kg back pack) on my most frequently used practice round is now done with relative ease.
Hopefully my flight to Barcelona on march 30th won't be cancelled....

Doing it alone (mostly.. my wife and 9 year old will probably come down and do the last 100 km or so with me)
No return flight booked, but thinking a half marathon a day on average is reasonable so estimate I'll use 36-40 days or something like that.
Perhaps more importantly (and probably stupid) is that I have no albergues booked.
I keep hearing rumours that is not wise, especially at easter...
Reasoning behind that decicion has been that I don't want to "lock" in a fixed distance per day. If I want to use half a day exploring a town i want to have the opportunity to do it..
With recent virus developments I'm thinking I might not be in such trouble anyways? (My back up plan if albergues are full during easter has been to maybe AirBnB, sleep under open sky or do an emergency hotel night or two...)

If for some reason countries more or less shut down because of Corona and I can't do april, I'm planning to do my local pilgrimage, the St. Olav's Way, in May and then try again for Compostela some time after september 15.

I hope to see some of you on the trail?

Warmest Regards and Buen camino

Well the decision has been made. My camino is now cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. With the WHO official classing this now as a pandemic and the US cancelling incoming flights from Europe, it won't be long before we follow suit here in Australia. I'm not concerned about catching the virus whilst on the camino but am concerned about what the travel situation will be in 7 weeks time when I am due to return home (7th May).
This situation is now too serious to be ignored and I hope all of you who do still decide to go this year come home safely having experience all that you wish for.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well the decision has been made. My camino is now cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. With the WHO official classing this now as a pandemic and the US cancelling incoming flights from Europe, it won't be long before we follow suit here in Australia. I'm not concerned about catching the virus whilst on the camino but am concerned about what the travel situation will be in 7 weeks time when I am due to return home (7th May).
This situation is now too serious to be ignored and I hope all of you who do still decide to go this year come home safely having experience all that you wish for.
Good luck and Buen Camino.
Hi Steve, what a shame. With the US Europe travel ban, US returning citizens are still permitted entry into the USA. It’s the same in Australia with the current travel ban in place for China, South Korea, Iran and Italy, where returning Aussie residents are permitted entry however must self isolate on return.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.