• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2020

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2020?

Buen Camino
Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Planning for the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres in the spring of 2020 starting in Seville. It does seem far in the future. Will be my third Camino pilgrimage - first was Camino Frances spring 2016, second Camino Frances autumn 2017. The first is always special, the second yielded a deeper spiritual and religious experience. The third will be longer...but maybe a stop at the hot springs at Ourense will be a good thing.

Buen Camino!
--jim--

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m planning Camino Frances probably starting June 2020 in St Jean. Would love to make it sooner but need to wait till I can take my pension from work. I did Sarria to Santiago in September this year staying in pre-booked hotels and getting bag transported. Next time will do it properly and stay in albergues and carry everything I need on my back. Seems a long time away but I’m enjoying planning and reading about people’s Camino experiences. This forum is an excellent resource for all things Camino.

Hello all,
I’m in the planning/research stages for the Camino Frances. I’m planning on starting in Lourdes around the 2nd of June, 2020, and walking to SJPDP. I plan to leave SJPDP around The 10th of June. I’m toying with the idea of being in Compostela around the Feast of Saint James, but the sensible side of me says get there a week before, spend a day or two, and then head to Muxia/Finisterre. Although, July 25 is my mother’s birthday and James is my grandfather’s name. So, we’ll see. I’ll decide well enough in advance to make make all necessary reservations.
This will be my first Camino. I’ve got June and July free to live the Camino. I would like to say a special thank you to all those who have contributed to the Forum. I’ve been researching for the last couple of weeks, and I can’t get enough. This forum is an invaluable resource. A couple of years ago I saw “The Way,” and I said I want to do that. I know that was Hollywood, but this Forum has helped tremendously to give the correct impression (with I might say a bit of humor). The idea passed after a while. This past fall some friends did a tour of Fatima, Compostela, and Lourdes. I saw posts on Facebook of the Botafumiero, and that reignited the spark. I voiced to several people that I might like to do it, and that simple action of verbalizing my desire has made it a definite. I’m all in!
I’m in the process of putting together my packing list. This summer I’ll be driving past an REI store and plan to do some shopping. I’m looking at a pack that I hope will fit (Osprey Kestral 38L). For footwear I’m thinking of wearing Altra Lone Peak 4 trail runners (again I’ll get fitted this summer - hopefully they’ll be comfortable, but a starting point). Also, I’m thinking of alternating with Keen Newport sandals (again if they fit/wear well).
I’ve got tons of questions, and new ones keep popping up. I’ve started a journal to document my research, and eventually my Camino. I’ll keep searching the Forum threads, as I’m sure it’s all there (again, thanks). I’ve ordered a couple of guide books, one for Lourdes to SJPDP (by Stacey Wittig) and one for the remainder (the Brierley 2019 guide).

Buen Camino,
Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all,
I'm a frequent lurker of this forum and have poked around here for a while now, just now decided to register so yeah I'm slow.
I'm starting the planning/research stage for a possible Camiño Francés in 2020 or 2021 if I have an obstacle that has me have to extend the goal by a year. This will be my first Camino and first major multi-day hike. I learned about Camino de Santiago from a lady I was in a relationship in last year and while we aren't in the relationship any more and don't talk that often any more, her travels and talking about the Camino has inspired me to do this.
I have a hobby that I do that a lot of people find crazy called "Rucking", basically carrying a rucksack with weight in it. I usually carry 30-35lbs (13.6-15.8kgs) in my ruck and have in the past worked up to as much as 55lbs (29.5kgs, plus sharing a team weight of 45lbs (20.4kgs) with others that I've talked into rucking with me. I've also done some endurance events that a company called GORUCK runs, they are rucking events with PT, carrying heavy objects and doing various military related scenarios. In a weird way its something I really enjoy and to me it's challenging to me.
While I do not plan to do the Camino with a crazy weight, I think for the physical aspect of it, this strange hobby of mine will get me prepared for the Camino. I've stepped out a few long rucks up to 18 miles (28.9kg) with weights in my ruck without issues and little actual training for the long rucks and know with actual training I can do the Camino.
So I'll be using 2019 to research my packing list & gear. I'm going to rely on some of the gear I use for rucking because I think you should train as you fight sorta speak and I'll be used to it. My ruck (GORUCK GR2 either 34L or 40L) will probably be heavier than what most use but I'm ok with that because I'll be used to it. My shoe's will most likely be Merrel Moab Ventilator Mid because that is what I wear now rucking. I might look at some hiking sandals for a change on my feet but only if I get some training rucks in with them too.
Having a year to get my ducks together researching, route, planning, equipment and all shouldn't be a problem. Only issue I see is financial but hopefully I have enough time to prep there too. I am jealous of those that are in Europe that are much closer to the area.
Any way I've rattled enough. For anyone doing the Camino before I get my shot Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
Hi, Just a brief introduction. Walking the Camino has been on my bucket list for a number of years. Now, being in my 62nd year I need to actually do it. I'm hoping and dreaming of doing it in April/May 2020.

I can't tear myself away from this forum. So many great stories and fantastic advice. I'm starting to visualise my walk already.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m planning my second Camino Francis starting May 2020. I’ve informed my husband, family, friends and surgeon. I’ve marked my cell phone and iPad calendars with departure dates and return dates allowing for more rest days. I’ve marked my husbands as to when he’ll fly to Santiago to meet me. He couldn’t last time. I’ve told him we will walk together to Finisterre where we will spend our 27th wedding anniversary. I’m not usually so bossy...but this is important to me...for us. All these plans are my healing inspiration pulling me forward. Today February 16th is the first birthday of my new knee. The first of four. The fourth my left hip will be on March 7th. My first Camino was such an incredible life changing experience. Dreamt of for thirty years. I decided to finally do that first one after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and skin Cancer on my face a week later the year before. It was also a very trying year. Four surgeries on the same area of skin cancer...and between two topical Cemo treatments I decided on my first Camino. Booking airline tickets from Toronto to Paris a week later, in December 2016. Walked from May28th to July 4th 35 amazing days. From SJDP to Santiago. So much has happened since that time. One week after my return I dislocated my hips waterskiing. Finishing both hips and eventually both my previously injured knees. Months after my return Cancer showed up again in the same spot on my face. MOH surgery found a marble sized tumour under the scar tissue left from the Cemo. Now removed and finally cancer free. Then two surgeries in the fall of 2017 for my Lipedema. All that brought me to today. I can’t wait to return again. I pray to take every beloved step again. I know it won’t be easy...it wasn’t last time...yet I know I’ll be pulled forward one step at a time .....
Those of you that are planning for your first...I know you’ll have so many questions...and fears...just don’t give up .... Go Slowly and Experience Every Step
Buen Camino ❤️👣

I'm planning for 2020, currently considering whether to do the Ingles or go for broke and try the Frances. I'm 64 and used to be very active but an old injury meant my knee eventually disintegrated so I was pretty much out of action for several years. I now have a metal and plastic knee which is excellent, and I'm just starting to work back up to real activity, and attempting to lose the weight I put on. I'm not religious at all, but I have several personal reasons for wanting to have a go so I guess that counts as a kind of pilgrimage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all,
I'm a frequent lurker of this forum and have poked around here for a while now, just now decided to register so yeah I'm slow.
I'm starting the planning/research stage for a possible Camiño Francés in 2020 or 2021 if I have an obstacle that has me have to extend the goal by a year. This will be my first Camino and first major multi-day hike. I learned about Camino de Santiago from a lady I was in a relationship in last year and while we aren't in the relationship any more and don't talk that often any more, her travels and talking about the Camino has inspired me to do this.
I have a hobby that I do that a lot of people find crazy called "Rucking", basically carrying a rucksack with weight in it. I usually carry 30-35lbs (13.6-15.8kgs) in my ruck and have in the past worked up to as much as 55lbs (29.5kgs, plus sharing a team weight of 45lbs (20.4kgs) with others that I've talked into rucking with me. I've also done some endurance events that a company called GORUCK runs, they are rucking events with PT, carrying heavy objects and doing various military related scenarios. In a weird way its something I really enjoy and to me it's challenging to me.
While I do not plan to do the Camino with a crazy weight, I think for the physical aspect of it, this strange hobby of mine will get me prepared for the Camino. I've stepped out a few long rucks up to 18 miles (28.9kg) with weights in my ruck without issues and little actual training for the long rucks and know with actual training I can do the Camino.
So I'll be using 2019 to research my packing list & gear. I'm going to rely on some of the gear I use for rucking because I think you should train as you fight sorta speak and I'll be used to it. My ruck (GORUCK GR2 either 34L or 40L) will probably be heavier than what most use but I'm ok with that because I'll be used to it. My shoe's will most likely be Merrel Moab Ventilator Mid because that is what I wear now rucking. I might look at some hiking sandals for a change on my feet but only if I get some training rucks in with them too.
Having a year to get my ducks together researching, route, planning, equipment and all shouldn't be a problem. Only issue I see is financial but hopefully I have enough time to prep there too. I am jealous of those that are in Europe that are much closer to the area.
Any way I've rattled enough. For anyone doing the Camino before I get my shot Buen Camino!!
I'm also jealous of all the pilgrims who live in Europe! I usually never talk about it, but since you so boldly mentioned it, I will say I agree...they are lucky ducks indeed!

I'm also jealous of all the pilgrims who live in Europe! I usually never talk about it, but since you so boldly mentioned it, I will say I agree...they are lucky ducks indeed!
Duck it is . Thanks Chris .🙏

But you are right , fly roundtrip to Santiago for €174,= row 2 larger seat and more leg space.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum today. I am planning of doing the Sarria to Santiago route in the beginning of May 2020. I would like to go to Leon first for a day or so before starting in Sarria. I am researching as much as I can so I will be lurking around on the forum absorbing all the information.
This will my first Camino and I cannot wait for that day to come!
Roberto

Welcome Roberto!
I was a lurker for a full year before I joined 2 years ago. Researching gets the excitement aroused and then finally the planning begins.
Wishing you the best as you move forward during this next year.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just starting to look at May - June, 2020 for another CF. This will be my fourth, providing God continues to bless me with good health. I was 70 when I walked my first CF and will be 75 on this one. Considered other routes but always come back to the CF. Hope to meet some of you along The Way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From the US and planning on taking the Camino Primitivo in late June or early September 2020. Camino Ingles in June of 2020.

Very much want to complete the Camino Primitivo but just not going to happen in the near term. However, after considering all the physical, family, and time constraints I will still be able to make the pilgrimage in 2020 if I switch my route.

Good thing I spent the last few years planning this Primitivo route out 😂. Still excited to be doing the Camino and must kick up the training/prepping regime now that I have a firm date and route.

Last edited:
You know, all of you could add your start dates to the calendar and then it would be easy for anyone to see who is starting when. These threads tend to sink down to the bottom and then get lost, but the Calendar is always there!

Once you are on the calendar, any forum member can easily contact you by clicking on the entry on the calendar. Here are Ivar’s instructions on how to do that https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...your-camino-to-the-new-camino-calendar.30392/

I did the CF from SJPDP in 2009 as a sola perigrina, and it was one of the most profound experiences of my life. Now planning to do the CF with my husband, beginning from SJPDP in May 2020. Seems far off, but I'm so excited I can barely stand it! I'm filled with optimisms, but also worry over how much of what has changed, and whether or not my dear love will have as meaningful a trip as I did, now that I've spent most of our marriage hyping it up! 😂😂😅

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning to walk by myself from Pamplona to Santiago mid or end March 2019. I will be 60, hate to walk, much overweight and have knee, back and hip problems. But something is dragging me to face this challenge, even it might be the biggest of my life until now.
My wife and me are planning to meet 100km before Santiago to finish the way together.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am planning to walk by myself from Pamplona to Santiago mid or end March 2019. I will be 60, hate to walk, much overweight and have knee, back and hip problems. But something is dragging me to face this challenge, even it might be the biggest of my life until now.
My wife and me are planning to meet 100km before Santiago to finish the way together.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! I´m planning for a camino in 2020, perhaps starting in april from SJPP. I have two new knees and Im pretty old (will be 65 in april). But... so exited I have made up my mind for this. If the camino is hard to me (bad feet or bad knees or something else) , I´ll return to home and start over in september 2020. Like planning and planning and planning...
Good luck all /Buen camino

I walked Leon to Santiago in Feb 2013. Been trying to get back every since.

Planning SJPdP to maybe Burgos, February 2020. I feel compelled to go in Feb... anyone else planning to start about 6 or 7 Feb?

Initial planning for my return to the camino at the end of August 2020 walking to the first week of October. I hope to get my long time business partner to join me. Will keep you posted.

11/2/19 - Update, my long-time business partner (over 20 years) George and a friend, Larry, have committed to our Camino beginning the last week of August from St Jean, me for the second time from St Jean, they for the first camino ever.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hand up. Likely commencing 14 or 15 April 2020 from SJPdP. Leave approved, savings plan established and most importantly for a Northern Territory, Darwinite (Aust) - checked how bloody cold it will be . . .
Hi Tahirih
Being from Brisbane I second your thoughts on how cold it will be. We will be 4 old girls leaving about 2 weeks after you, hoping to have warmth but not too much heat. Will be doing the CF from sJPdP. At present sorting out minor foot ailments, working through individual ideas about how to deal with illness, injury, rest days and starting some hill walking training. Thankfully winter is just about upon us, so bushwalking should be relatively snake free 😉. The way this year is flying by, the end of April 2020 will be here in no time!

I completed the CF 2018. I am now in the process of planning my Camino Portugese for May 2020, just looking into which route to take. I think I may do the first few days on the coastal route and switch to the central route. I have been doing some light training, I completed the 3 Capes trek in Tasmania, May this year. if anyone is in the same stage from planning the Portuguese happy to swap ideas

Hi, I joined this morning. I'm 57 years old and planning on walking the Camino Frances in early April 2020. I'll be walking most of it by myself (until I make Camino friends) due to my husband can't take that much time off work. My daughter is planning on meeting me for the last week so we can walk to Santiago de Compostela together.

I watched The Way and thought it was a great movie, but what really got to me was the documentary about 6 people that walked. As soon as I saw that I felt such a strong urge to walk. Now I'm just trying to find out as much as I can. I cannot wait until it's my turn to take steps on the paths that have been traveled on for over 1000 years.

I hope I'm not crazy - but I am planning to walk the Ingles in the middle of February 2020. It's really the only time I could do it next year. I am from Northeast US, so the cold won't be my biggest worry. Are there any statistics on how many pilgrims walk the Ingles in winter?

Landing in Porto on April 8th, 2020 to start the CP for my 60th with my husband who is 62--have not decided whether we will take the Coastal or Central Route or mix it up--but, do want to stay at Casa de Fernanda so will probably mix it up. I love solitude yet am intrigued by people--people are such curious beasts, aren't they? Will luxuriate in Porto for about four nights with a tour of the Douro River Valley before our official start to sauntering the CP all the way to Muxia/Finnesterre. Our flight back from Porto isn't until May 13th-so, we have lots of space for rest days and mystical/magical segues--I love to plan AND I love surprises, too, so I am making the space for the time to fully embrace every experience, every infinite moment, every place, every glass of wine, every pastry and every curious beast. Our home is Taos, New Mexico. I love this forum and have been sauntering through various posts and recommendations for three days now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn
I’m planning on walking the Norte in early Spring 2020. Not decided a start date yet as need advice re accommodation availability in early March.
I’m in my 60s, a regular walker but this will be my first long distance trail. Hope my knees hold up! Look forward to meeting some of you along the way.

Just starting planning my Camino.... but the planning will probably take me a long time. I suffer from spastic cerebral palsy and can only walk cca 6 km per day, so I have to do a lot of research. I am thinking of spring 2021 and it would be lovely to walk from Portugal, but I am not sure it is doable.

I’m planning Camino Frances probably starting June 2020 in St Jean. Would love to make it sooner but need to wait till I can take my pension from work. I did Sarria to Santiago in September this year staying in pre-booked hotels and getting bag transported. Next time will do it properly and stay in albergues and carry everything I need on my back. Seems a long time away but I’m enjoying planning and reading about people’s Camino experiences. This forum is an excellent resource for all things Camino.
I am looking to do the walk from Sarria next year in May. Am looking at a group actually. But I am in hopes that it will be in preparation for the full Camino Frances with my brother when he retires and has the time...or maybe even solo?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the CF from SJPDP in 2009 as a sola perigrina, and it was one of the most profound experiences of my life. Now planning to do the CF with my husband, beginning from SJPDP in May 2020. Seems far off, but I'm so excited I can barely stand it! I'm filled with optimisms, but also worry over how much of what has changed, and whether or not my dear love will have as meaningful a trip as I did, now that I've spent most of our marriage hyping it up! 😂😂😅
I have Camino fever too!

Hand up. Likely commencing 14 or 15 April 2020 from SJPdP. Leave approved, savings plan established and most importantly for a Northern Territory, Darwinite (Aust) - checked how bloody cold it will be . . .
My wife and are also planning a mid-April 2020 SJPdP departure, Tahirih. See you out there!

I am looking to do the walk from Sarria next year in May. Am looking at a group actually.
Hi, @ObeeOne and welcome to the forum.

You may have your specific reasons to go with a group. But if not, and if you are planning to walk from Sarria, I can tell you with confidence that this is an extremely heavily traveled part of the Camino. It is not a wilderness hike,there will be tons of people. Marking is great, accommodation is plentiful, crowds may be oppressive. IMO, most people with normal circumstances can save a lot of money and enjoy a lot of freedom by going to Sarria, slinging their packs over their shoulders, and starting to walk. I would encourage you to try it! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m planning to commence the Norte in late April 2020, starting from Irun. I’ve been pondering a Camino now for about two years and finally the timing is right for me. Anyone else looking to do the Norte about that time of year?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m planning my second Camino Francis starting May 2020. I’ve informed my husband, family, friends and surgeon. I’ve marked my cell phone and iPad calendars with departure dates and return dates allowing for more rest days. I’ve marked my husbands as to when he’ll fly to Santiago to meet me. He couldn’t last time. I’ve told him we will walk together to Finisterre where we will spend our 27th wedding anniversary. I’m not usually so bossy...but this is important to me...for us. All these plans are my healing inspiration pulling me forward. Today February 16th is the first birthday of my new knee. The first of four. The fourth my left hip will be on March 7th. My first Camino was such an incredible life changing experience. Dreamt of for thirty years. I decided to finally do that first one after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and skin Cancer on my face a week later the year before. It was also a very trying year. Four surgeries on the same area of skin cancer...and between two topical Cemo treatments I decided on my first Camino. Booking airline tickets from Toronto to Paris a week later, in December 2016. Walked from May28th to July 4th 35 amazing days. From SJDP to Santiago. So much has happened since that time. One week after my return I dislocated my hips waterskiing. Finishing both hips and eventually both my previously injured knees. Months after my return Cancer showed up again in the same spot on my face. MOH surgery found a marble sized tumour under the scar tissue left from the Cemo. Now removed and finally cancer free. Then two surgeries in the fall of 2017 for my Lipedema. All that brought me to today. I can’t wait to return again. I pray to take every beloved step again. I know it won’t be easy...it wasn’t last time...yet I know I’ll be pulled forward one step at a time .....
Those of you that are planning for your first...I know you’ll have so many questions...and fears...just don’t give up .... Go Slowly and Experience Every Step
Buen Camino ❤👣
I am also looking at starting my CF (First one) in May 2020. If I see you on route, I shall salute you🙂 You have my deepest respect!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Planning my 1st Camino for early 2020, had a rough year this year and need to do something for me & recharge my soul. Remember watching "The Way" in 2010 & thought I want to do the Camino back then, so 10 years on it is time to, pack my boots and bag and find my own story.
Good luck and hope to see you on the Camino.

Chris

Solidifying my plans for Sept 2020. After a vacation with my wife and friends to Ireland, I will make my way to Lourdes France. I hope to spend a couple of days there and then begin my Camino. Blessings and safe travels to all!

I will continue my pilgrimage on the Via de la Plata and walk from Zamora via the Camino Sanabrés from June 12th 2020 onwards. I have just asked my colleagues to grant me a holiday from Corpus Christi (June 11th) to July 5th. Thus I hope to be able to walk on to Finisterre and Muxía, too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will continue my pilgrimage on the Via de la Plata and walk from Zamora via the Camino Sanabrés from June 12th 2020 onwards. I have just asked my colleagues to grant me a holiday from Corpus Christi (June 11th) to July 5th. Thus I hope to be able to walk on to Finisterre and Muxía, too.
Hope you have a beautiful walk . Stay safe and Buen Camino.

I'll be walking from March 3 to April 14. Not sure where yet, but most likely from Pamplona to Sahagun, then down the Madrid route.

Annie,

I know that Segovia is on that route between Sahagun and Madrid. Have you walked that path before? Is it pretty? Cultural? Historical? I have been told that Segovia is a town very much worth visiting.

Thanks,

Roger

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Annie,

I know that Segovia is on that route between Sahagun and Madrid. Have you walked that path before? Is it pretty? Cultural? Historical? I have been told that Segovia is a town very much worth visiting.

Thanks,

Roger

Yes, I've actually walked on the Madrid route twice before, and stopped in Segovia once.

In 2014, I walked with Joe from Tres Cantos as far as Cigñuela. I had to leave early to pick up my group in Pamplona. You can see photos here:

I walked from Simancas in 2016 - after giving up on the Malaga route, repeating several stages I did in 2014.
That time I finished the route, ending in Sahagun, then headed to Pamplona to again pick up my group.
Here is a link to those blog/photos:

I am looking forward to walking it again.
It is beautiful in Springtime!
Also, we will be in Segovia for the last weekend of Semana Santa so I'm pretty excited about the possibility.

It is definitely a town worth visiting, and the Madrid route is a wonderful route with lots to see.

I am planning my first camino (Primitivo) for July 2020. I have heard that route is very crowded then to the point of struggling to find a bed. Hope that's not the case. This is the only time I can go and really have my heart set on this for reasons I can't describe but boil down to my husband dying tragically and wanting to work through this grief.

Hello everyone,
planning starting in July 2020 Camino Frances or Camino Portugues. Havent decided yet.

This time, i only take necessities, planning carry my 20L Bag with just up to 3kg base weight.

And take as much time as i need. Will be 6 weeks or more.

Hi my second Camino will begin 25 September 2020. I can only get away for a week at any one time, so this will be Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia. Previously I walked from Sarria to Santiago and although a few very wet and gloomy days I will never forget the smell of the eucalyptus, nor the amazing friends I made on The Way. I cannot wait to get back and do it all again albeit heading away from Santiago this time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all! I have been lurking around the forum for a while and dreaming of walking my first Camino "someday," thinking it would be many years from now, if ever. My daughter and I have talked about doing it together, but life is busy and 2 separate lives are even more challenging to coordinate, so I felt like it was a pipe dream. Then, several months ago, I had an epiphany when we were discussing a window of opportunity my daughter has in the summer of 2020 and she said to me, "Mom, if we don't make it happen then, it will never happen." So, with her words echoing in my head, I decided to MAKE IT HAPPEN. We can only manage about 3 weeks, but feel very fortunate to be able to have even that much time. We still have to nail down the dates, but are looking at starting in Leon in mid-to-late May 2020. Yay!!

Potentially starting the Primitivo around may 5th :cool:
After doing the Frances this spring, I am up for something slightly different for 2020 ... and where I also have to take less time off ;-)

Hello all,
After a few years of wanting to make this happen, my husband and I may finally have our chance to travel the Camino next spring, late March-early April, 2020. I am looking for advice on where to start our pilgrimage, keeping in mind we may have only three weeks or so to be on the trail. Also, we may spend some time in France after we complete our pilgrimage so I'll be looking for advice on where to store items safely long term (for those three weeks). Starting my research on my own in earnest soon, but if anyone has helpful advice they'd like to offer, please do.
Peace,
SSTW

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Funny how the same crew just can't seem to stop walking. I will be joining a couple of Danish repeat offenders on April 15th, leaving Lisbon for points north on the CP. The crew gets bigger on May 2 when Connie and the Irish contingent join us at Porto. Coastal? Central? Littoral? Who knows, we'll see which way the wind blows when we get there.

Greetings to all!

If all goes at least somewhat according to plan I should be about halfway through my first Camino Frances this time next year. I'm currently planning to arrive in SJPdP (via Paris and Bayonne) around September 20, 2020 and giving myself until the last week in October to reach Santiago.

Very much appreciate all the camraderie and invaluable resources on this forum and will no doubt be checking in regularly (dare I say daily?) between now and next fall.

Hands up here too. I'm currently planning SJPdP to Santiago and hoping to start 20th July. As a redhead I know this is not the greatest plan (!) but this is time I have. Here's hoping 'the Camino provides' includes some cloud cover!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Planning for the Primitivo in October 2020. Had to plan far in advance because taking leave from work is difficult. Also live in stupidly-hot Texas, so wanted to buy gear early enough to test it this winter, when it's finally cool enough to approximate the temps on the Primitivo (29*C here right now vs. 17*C in Oviedo - I can't wait for the temps to drop here 🙃 ). Another month-ish and I'll finally be able to book flights :p

Hello all. After years of talking about it, I am finally going to do it! I'm booking my flight tonight, and will do the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago, flying on July 21st and starting the next day. Excited and terrified in equal measures! I will be 52, I'm from wales and will be doing it solo, leaving my long suffering hubby at home!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on making my pilgrimage in 2020. My problem, I am facilitating between the Camino de Madrid and the Camino Frances via Lourdes. The idea has crept into my mind to arrive in SDC in time for New Years Eve. Still thinking.

Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum today. I am planning of doing the Sarria to Santiago route in the beginning of May 2020. I would like to go to Leon first for a day or so before starting in Sarria. I am researching as much as I can so I will be lurking around on the forum absorbing all the information.
This will my first Camino and I cannot wait for that day to come!
Roberto
goodluck , I too am trying to absorb everything

Just joined today, I will be retiring in March of 2020 and walking the Camino in April, then on to other world adventures......I have decided to call it quits early, (ill be 53) as they say, "Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life, you don't have to live forever, you just have to live!!!!!!

I'm in the 2020 class as well. Leaving Adelaide Australia on 2 April, arriving Paris with a couple of girlfriends. I have 3 months LSL booked and a one way ticket for maximum flexibility. This is my first Camino, and the forum is very helpful and I'm looking at it regularly. I'll be doing Frances in Spring and everything I'm organising is the smallest or lightest I can get my hands on - I'm petite so very very mindful of weight in my 30L Osprey. Maybe I'll see some of you over there :cool:

I am really exited to start my first Camino in April 2020. I have decided to do the Camino Portugues from Lisboa and for the first time in my life I will be doing something really for me and I will be on my own for 5-6 weeks. It is going to be a real challenge for me not to pre-plan everything to much, in my dialy life I am a super planner so my challenge for this adventure will be to let it go and not adjust myself to the needs of everyone in my environment. I am so ready to go, only 6 more months :)

Greetings to all!

If all goes at least somewhat according to plan I should be about halfway through my first Camino Frances this time next year. I'm currently planning to arrive in SJPdP (via Paris and Bayonne) around September 20, 2020 and giving myself until the last week in October to reach Santiago.

Very much appreciate all the camraderie and invaluable resources on this forum and will no doubt be checking in regularly (dare I say daily?) between now and next fall.
I’ll probably be heading out around that time as well! Might see you there.

I've joined the class! Ticket booked (only NZ$1379 flying Qatar, the quickest possible from NZ at 27 hours)
My plan is to do the Levante from Valencia to Zamora, then take the end of the Via de la Plata up to Astorga. A couple of days along the Frances will get me to the Invierno....and because I start at one coast I'll go out to the other (Muxia this time). In order to get the cheapest ticket I had to take a few more days than I really need so I might end up with a spare week up my sleeve. Nice to have that buffer so I will be able to take my time.
I'm not taking any children, but will be checking in each evening with their homeschooling - I consider this a very small price to pay!
I leave on Monday 20 April and return from Barcelona on Tuesday 23 June.
@Rebekah Scott I have a crocheted camino blanket to bring you - if you don't like it you can throw it in a corner at San Anton ;-) PM me with an address to post it to, because I won't be passing Moratinos, so won't be able to deliver it in person.

Buen Camino
Arn

Class of 2020 1st timer
I booked my flight for March 18th to Biarritz and off I go for 5 weeks. I am not prebooking just praying. I am going to be free as a bird. I think my biggest worry is being too cold and foot injury/ blisters. I think of little else but my Camino these days, am working on my Spanish and wish I could walk more to practice but time is a luxury. I am loving this site. It is so exciting.
Miya

Welcome Miya!
Glad to hear you are enjoying this forum so much already. It's been a big help to so many and gave me the knowledge i needed to step out in faith in 2015 as a new retiree. I walk a camino every year since then and still enjoy spending way too much time here on the forum!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Class of 2020 for me too! Did CF SJPdP to Santiago spring 2018. Planning either another CF or C del Norte Bilbao to SdC then on to Muxia, starting mid-May 2020. Can’t decide...

Starting in Caminha May 2020.

Johan
Worcester,
South Africa

Planning for Camino Portuguese starting in Lison Sept 20, 2020. Walking with my best friend since childhood, in memory of our mothers' who both passed Sept/Oct 1986. Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hope this is the year for my 3rd Camino. Camino del Norte June1st to July 10. After long divorce, need to refresh my mind and soul.

Buen Camino
Arn
We are on our first walking pilgrimage from Seville in early 2020. We were first pilgrims when we mountain biked from Santander to Compostela in 2017 along the Northern Camino on celebrating our retirement.
Since then we have looked at walking the Via De la Plata. My husband is really looking forward to the Roman ruins and history and I'm looking forward to the scenery and meeting a few pilgrims en route.
Highlight of the Northern route was the monestry at Dos Monxes and amazing spiritual, mysterious and energising place, full of pilgrims, swifts and rain.
We hope to find this energy again along the way.
We are preparing for rain and cold and maybe some snow... A bit like a Northern English summer 😊.
We will start mid to late January and hope to finish by the end of March. We will see how the weather goes this winter.

Last edited:
Hi,
I’m in the planning stages to walk “La voie de Tours” or “Via Turonensis” in spring 2020. It begins in Paris and goes to SJPdP. However, when in Onesse-et-Laharie, I’m considering to walk to the west coast of France (Castets, Soustons, Capbreton, Bayonne...) and go to Irun in Spain to connect and walk the Camino del Norte.
It’s quite a trek for me, but I’ll not have a time limit. I’ve wanted to do this in my first year of retirement while my body is still holding up.
Please feel free to share any thoughts, advice or information, as the collective wisdom on this site is quite impressive.
Ultreia

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.