A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Clavijo

I will be returning to continue my second full camino this spring at Orthez, 2 days before St Jean. I will want to visit the monasterios at San Millan this time, but because they are closed on Mondays, I may need to take a day extra somewhere to slow down. I don't like short days - I feel really frustrated! - so, how about leaving Logroño heading 17km south to Clavijo, before returning to Navarette via Abelda de Iruego (and Soranzo if possible). Why these three?

At Soranzo, on the 3rd Sunday in May, is the procession of Cien Doncellas commemorating the annual offer of 100 maidens from Christian Castille to the Moor ruler of Cordoba. Then Ramiro 1st refused to continue the offer, and Abd-al-Rahmân attacked ..... in 844 .... which led to the battle of Clavijo that the Christians won thanks to Santiago Matamoros, or so the story goes!

Abelda de Iruega could well have been on the original route to Santiago, as there was a monastery in the 10th century where the first pilgrim, Godescalc, Bishop of Le Puy-en-Velay, stopped in about 950. Apparently, a manuscript in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris refers to this.

So two have a link to Santiago Matamoros, and the third to the (very) historical Camino.

Has anyone wandered on down to Clavijo? Can you get up to the castle? What did you think of it? The Gitlitz/Davidson p129 seems to think its worth it (but I cannot see how it they think it can take two days!)

Thanks for any input
Mike

Advertisment

MikeB said:
Interested in Ramiro comics?
http://pilgrimsplaza-ramiro-1.blogspot.com
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramiro:
1. De Bastaard
2. De Valstrik
3. Het Geheim van de Pelgrim
4. De Wachters van Bierzo
5. De Charlatan
6. Storm over Galicië
7. De Erfenis van de Westgothen 1:De Moorse Roof
8. De Erfenis van de Westgothen 2:De Gijzelaars
9. Intergrale uitgave Ramiro (1st deel)
10. Intergrale uitgave Ramiro (2de deel)
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfons_VII ... tili%C3%AB

Attachments

I have been to Clavijo but only by road I have not walked it. The castle is in ruins but not so ruined that you cannot recognise it. When I went there about 8 years ago it was possible to clamber up to it and walk around.

I would not walk a good deal out of my way to see it but if you can combine it with something else or have time to spare as you know it is worth seeing just because of the history.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
And then again, it is one of those places that is more folk-lore and legend than fact. Historians say that the events at Clavijo were attributed to a battle that actually took place 100 years later when Ramiro 11 of Leon defeated another Caliph of Cordoba - without any help from a man on a white horse!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
scruffy1 Camino Frances 12

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%