• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clavijo

MikeB

I will be returning to continue my second full camino this spring at Orthez, 2 days before St Jean. I will want to visit the monasterios at San Millan this time, but because they are closed on Mondays, I may need to take a day extra somewhere to slow down. I don't like short days - I feel really frustrated! - so, how about leaving Logroño heading 17km south to Clavijo, before returning to Navarette via Abelda de Iruego (and Soranzo if possible). Why these three?

At Soranzo, on the 3rd Sunday in May, is the procession of Cien Doncellas commemorating the annual offer of 100 maidens from Christian Castille to the Moor ruler of Cordoba. Then Ramiro 1st refused to continue the offer, and Abd-al-Rahmân attacked ..... in 844 .... which led to the battle of Clavijo that the Christians won thanks to Santiago Matamoros, or so the story goes!

Abelda de Iruega could well have been on the original route to Santiago, as there was a monastery in the 10th century where the first pilgrim, Godescalc, Bishop of Le Puy-en-Velay, stopped in about 950. Apparently, a manuscript in the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris refers to this.

So two have a link to Santiago Matamoros, and the third to the (very) historical Camino.

Has anyone wandered on down to Clavijo? Can you get up to the castle? What did you think of it? The Gitlitz/Davidson p129 seems to think its worth it (but I cannot see how it they think it can take two days!)

Thanks for any input
Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
MikeB said:
Interested in Ramiro comics?
http://pilgrimsplaza-ramiro-1.blogspot.com
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramiro:
1. De Bastaard
2. De Valstrik
3. Het Geheim van de Pelgrim
4. De Wachters van Bierzo
5. De Charlatan
6. Storm over Galicië
7. De Erfenis van de Westgothen 1:De Moorse Roof
8. De Erfenis van de Westgothen 2:De Gijzelaars
9. Intergrale uitgave Ramiro (1st deel)
10. Intergrale uitgave Ramiro (2de deel)
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfons_VII ... tili%C3%AB

Attachments

• RAMIRO~5.JPG
    RAMIRO~5.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 299
  • RAMIRO~9-1.JPG
    RAMIRO~9-1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 301
  • RAMIRO~6-1.JPG
    RAMIRO~6-1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 300
I have been to Clavijo but only by road I have not walked it. The castle is in ruins but not so ruined that you cannot recognise it. When I went there about 8 years ago it was possible to clamber up to it and walk around.

I would not walk a good deal out of my way to see it but if you can combine it with something else or have time to spare as you know it is worth seeing just because of the history.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And then again, it is one of those places that is more folk-lore and legend than fact. Historians say that the events at Clavijo were attributed to a battle that actually took place 100 years later when Ramiro 11 of Leon defeated another Caliph of Cordoba - without any help from a man on a white horse!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back