• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clean Slate

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
Clean Slate

I would like to start again
with a simple room
overlooking the sea -
empty of memory.
Bare floorboards
so I could hear the rhythm
of my uncluttered heart.
I would build slowly
re-create privacy:
a typewriter
a work table
a pinewood chair
no ornaments
and a small stove to cook
simple food; some books
and perhaps the luxury
of a big bed - just in case…
In such a space I might find
Joy I seem to lose
among the burden of possessions,
pared back to my original self.
I could find a way to live…
After all, I arrived here empty-handed.

🔹Bonnie Quinn Cotter, Ireland

Discovered in an alberque guest book by a AFOTC member
[Sourced from the Australian Friends of Camino Newsletter #29 June 2019]

I'm back on the Forum after some time (years :eek:) away as Life and responsibilities took me in different directions and on many different routes but still Walkabout in corners of this wondrous planet... just recently the Camino has been appearing in my days in the most odd places and and now it calls me back... so Hola to everyone and it's so good to be here again to share and learn and grow :)

This poem touched me in all manner of Ways and brought me to reflect, as I do once home again after another epic trek, what would I have done differently along the Way, knowing what I now know at the end of the journey... an Aussie Balladeer once termed it 'Looking Forward, Looking Back'.

I read voraciously and find such wisdom that echoes experiences on the Camino and other treks as in Alfred Lansing's Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage:
And in the space of a few short hours, life had been reduced from a highly complex existence, with a thousand petty problems, to one of the barest simplicity in which one real task remained - the achievement of the goal.

Some of my mountaineering friends tell me that this truly resonates with them as decisions in the mountains are 'simple' compared with the complexity of day to day living... friends also talk to me about their struggles to reenter daily life after walking a Camino... the Art of Coming Home...

A healthy person has a thousand wishes, but a sick person only one.

All topics touched on and discussed before but so well encapsulated in one beautiful verse...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Clean Slate

with a simple room
overlooking the sea -
empty of memory.
Bare floorboards
of my uncluttered heart.
I would build slowly
re-create privacy:
a typewriter
a work table
a pinewood chair
no ornaments
simple food; some books
and perhaps the luxury
Joy I seem to lose

I'm back on the Forum after some time (years :eek:) away as Life and responsibilities took me in different directions and on many different routes but still Walkabout in corners of this wondrous planet... just recently the Camino has been appearing in my days in the most odd places and and now it calls me back... so Hola to everyone and it's so good to be here again to share and learn and grow :)

This poem touched me in all manner of Ways and brought me to reflect, as I do once home again after another epic trek, what would I have done differently along the Way, knowing what I now know at the end of the journey... an Aussie Balladeer once termed it 'Looking Forward, Looking Back'.

I read voraciously and find such wisdom that echoes experiences on the Camino and other treks as in Alfred Lansing's Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage:

Some of my mountaineering friends tell me that this truly resonates with them as decisions in the mountains are 'simple' compared with the complexity of day to day living... friends also talk to me about their struggles to reenter daily life after walking a Camino... the Art of Coming Home...

All topics touched on and discussed before but so well encapsulated in one beautiful verse...
perhaps you were gone before I came, but anyway, thank you for your re-entry words. Welcome back to your home place...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
perhaps you were gone before I came, but anyway, thank you for your re-entry words. Welcome back to your home place...
I set off for other climes early in 2017 after 2 years on the Forum so was around when you first joined though our topics must have been divergent then. So... thank you for the welcome and look forward to reading your posts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome back, @Wokabaut_Meri !
This poem...wonderful!
There are so many layers of truth here.
And the golden question...
Well. It is solved by walking.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the poem, it is beautiful.
Good to see you back on the Forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Clean Slate

with a simple room
overlooking the sea -
empty of memory.
Bare floorboards
of my uncluttered heart.
I would build slowly
re-create privacy:
a typewriter
a work table
a pinewood chair
no ornaments
simple food; some books
and perhaps the luxury
Joy I seem to lose

There is a time for everything in life. Nothing happens by mistake. There are no coincidences in God’s world. You are exactly where you need to be at this moment. Welcome back and happy camino planning.

There is a time for everything in life. Nothing happens by mistake. There are no coincidences in God’s world. You are exactly where you need to be at this moment. Welcome back and happy camino planning.
No, no coincidences... only a masterful serendipity at work... and faith/fate
the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Clean Slate

with a simple room
overlooking the sea -
empty of memory.
Bare floorboards
of my uncluttered heart.
I would build slowly
re-create privacy:
a typewriter
a work table
a pinewood chair
no ornaments
simple food; some books
and perhaps the luxury
Joy I seem to lose

Thank you @Wokabaut_Meri for sharing this - and welcome back to the forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back