A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Clean the Camino

2020 Camino Guides

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguesa por la costa 2018
Via de la plata 2020
A litte more than a year ago I walked the Camino Portuguesa por la Costa. It was one of the greatest experiences ever. I noticed a lot of trash around some parts of the camino. Lately I have been more consicous about plastic-pollution and the future of our beautiful earth. The camino comes back to mind, when thinking about this topic.

So .. I thought. What if: every pelgrim would dedicate (at least) one day of his or her camino to clean a part of this unique trail. It wouldn't even have to be an entire day of work, could also be a few hours - or a particular road. It would mean so much to the Camino and could make such an impact If we would all start doing that. We could share our clean-the-camino-adventures&treasures :) and it would be a nice way to 'give something back'.

Who would be up for this? I would love to fire up this initiative and hear about your thoughts.

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
A mayor clean up sounds great! I didn’t know about it, would love to participate and spread the enthusiasm! Thanks for sharing

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
There are quite a few of us doing this already and @Rebekah Scott organizes the ditch pigs every year for a mayor clean-up in November ;-) But I agree, the pilgrims would do this, the less plastic and other rubbish would litter the Camino!
BC SY
Rebekah Scott was just featured on a Dave Whitson podcast discussing her great work on the Camino and her clean up efforts.

danielle aird

La vie est belle
Camino(s) past & future
May 2018; September 2018; May 2019; Sept (2019)
A litte more than a year ago I walked the Camino Portuguesa por la Costa. It was one of the greatest experiences ever. I noticed a lot of trash around some parts of the camino. Lately I have been more consicous about plastic-pollution and the future of our beautiful earth. The camino comes back to mind, when thinking about this topic.

So .. I thought. What if: every pelgrim would dedicate (at least) one day of his or her camino to clean a part of this unique trail. It wouldn't even have to be an entire day of work, could also be a few hours - or a particular road. It would mean so much to the Camino and could make such an impact If we would all start doing that. We could share our clean-the-camino-adventures&treasures :) and it would be a nice way to 'give something back'.

Who would be up for this? I would love to fire up this initiative and hear about your thoughts.
I always pick up the trash along the Camino. One day, after Leon, my friend and I filled two large bags with plastic bottles and cans but the path was along the road and I am pretty sure these had been chucked from passing cars because I never saw so much garbage anywhere else along the road. We had fun. I would jump into the ditch which was only a couple of feet deep; I would grab the bottle and pitch it to my friend who bagged it. I always carry two thin folding bags for that purpose.

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
I always pick up the trash along the Camino. One day, after Leon, my friend and I filled two large bags with plastic bottles and cans but the path was along the road and I am pretty sure these had been chucked from passing cars because I never saw so much garbage anywhere else along the road. We had fun. I would jump into the ditch which was only a couple of feet deep; I would grab the bottle and pitch it to my friend who bagged it. I always carry two thin folding bags for that purpose.
That is so great! Hope it will inspire more pilgrims! Thanks for sharing.

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
If everyone would just pick up 5 things a day and put in the trash what a difference it would make. Somewhere in Tui last summer on a counter in a coffee shop that had a basket of bags just for this.
Exactly! 5 each would already cumulate into a lot!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Count me in......Carrying a large empty plastic bag to Spain would add nothing to my pack. Great idea......

FooteK

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; Lisbon to SdC (2020)
The first time I went through that "pit stop" on the Meseta I was overwhelmed by the stench and piles of TP laid openly on the landscape, behind the wall which provided shade. It was as gross a scene as could be imagined. The next time, I brought a plastic bag with me and CAREFULLY picked up as much of the mess as I could, dropping it off at the next trash can i carry hand sanitizer for such emergencies).
Anyone who doesn't know how to take care of their toilet business when there isn't a latrine/toilet/loo in sight, go to the Leave No Trace site for ideas.
The bottom line (pardon the pun) is that you have to clean up after yourself. You clean up after your dog, right??
Thank you to all those peregrinos who not only clean up after themselves, but after others, also.

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
For a very long time I have made a point of picking up at least one piece of rubbish and putting it in a bin whenever I go out. Even that tiny thing is positive and if most people did just that it would make a difference. I started because I wanted to do one good deed every day, rather as the Guides and Scouts tell their members to do. It doesn't mean that I don't do anything else, but at the very least I will pick up that piece of rubbish. After a while it gets to be a habit.

c0484

Camino(s) past & future

I always carry a couple rolls of Dog Poop Bags that I use to pick up liter along the trail. They work well and can be deposited in trash bins along the trail.

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
This site, sorry only in Spanish, has a list of albergues where you can pick up a free bag to collect litter, click on 'albergues colarobadores' in the top menue to get to the map: https://www.caminodelreciclaje.com/

BC SY
Wauw! This is already so extended! I never knew about this, but it’s great. would be perfect to combine with the idea of cleaning up certain parts or days.

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
For a very long time I have made a point of picking up at least one piece of rubbish and putting it in a bin whenever I go out. Even that tiny thing is positive and if most people did just that it would make a difference. I started because I wanted to do one good deed every day, rather as the Guides and Scouts tell their members to do. It doesn't mean that I don't do anything else, but at the very least I will pick up that piece of rubbish. After a while it gets to be a habit.
You are right! It’s not only about the camino, it’s about everyday life. Making a habit out of this will surely make a difference since in the end you will have cleaned up so much. Thank you for doing this!

Trick

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la plata 2020
I always carry a couple rolls of Dog Poop Bags that I use to pick up liter along the trail. They work well and can be deposited in trash bins along the trail.
Sounds perfect! I really appreciate your efforts. Thanks! You make the world a better place.

Mark L

Camino(s) past & future
Planned : Le Puy to Saint Jean de PdP in 2020 then Saint Jean to Santiago in 2021
Good thought
I already do a similar thing on wilderness canoe expeds, packing out any rubbish found
Bad Toilet habits also present a massive issue because we can’t pack those for 20+ days without being exposed to issues ourselves. We settle for use of a folding shovel and some burning in that area.
Don’t know why, but it hadn’t occurred to me as a prospective pilgrim. I’ll certainly make sure to clean up as I go
cheers

kafnorx

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2019)
Spread the word... Don't throw away the little plastic bags that albergue sheets come in. Pop them in your pocket for TP the next day. No need to bring dog poop bags from home if we can reuse something that is already wasted.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 52 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 349 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock