• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cleaning my boots ritual

mazzarina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (partial) '05
Primitivo 19
Portugues 22
I've spent the first morning of my Easter holiday cleaning my boots (aided and abetted by my rescue dog). I thought of everyone in this community as I went through a ritual I love: first I brush and wipe off the dirt, then rub leather balsam in with my fingertips. After they've had a good soak, I put on some weatherproofing. Then they're ready for the next walk or pilgrimage. I'm getting ready for the Portuguese next month and will be taking my Vivobarefoot Magna FGs.
Do others here like the boot-cleaning ritual? I can't help feeling it can be a kind of spiritual practice. Do you take shoe cream with you on the camino?

Attachments

• 20220413_104442.jpg
    20220413_104442.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 60
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've spent the first morning of my Easter holiday cleaning my boots (aided and abetted by my rescue dog). I thought of everyone in this community as I went through a ritual I love: first I brush and wipe off the dirt, then rub leather balsam in with my fingertips. After they've had a good soak, I put on some weatherproofing. Then they're ready for the next walk or pilgrimage. I'm getting ready for the Portuguese next month and will be taking my Vivobarefoot Magna FGs.
Do others here like the boot-cleaning ritual? I can't help feeling it can be a kind of spiritual practice. Do you take shoe cream with you on the camino?
No only ever did anything similar in the Army with my black leather boots 20 years ago or so. Current boots and shoes just need a brush at the most, but seldom get that. I don't bring one on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear trail runners on Camino and they never get cleaned! However I now own some proper leather hiking boots as I'm off to the Highlands of Iceland. I understand how you can enjoy the ritual of cleaning your boots. I currently clean mine with water then when dry I rub leather gris into the creases where they bend and the tongue. Finally beeswax over the whole boot. Rubbing both in with my fingers. (I was shown how to do this when I bought the boots.) I do enjoy putting them on clean and prepared. I not sure how long I will be as conscientious with them though!! Winters here are wet and muddy; it's been a joy to have comfy warm dry feet 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my bureaucratic days, I quite enjoyed the regular polishing of my shoes (as a dashing young hussar once showed me -- how rarely we get to use such phrases in our correspondence!), as it prolonged the life of the shoes (a virtue for us eco-sensitive types) and it annoyed my scuffed-shoe managers. When it came to days of hiking boots, I found the process which @mazzarina describes to be equally restful. However, I have been using synthetic material boots for the past few caminos, and now comfort myself with knocking off the mud outside the casa rural (which I recommend even more strongly for albergues, where the poor hospitaler@s would otherwise have to contend with mountains of muck at the entryway).

Love cleaning my Altbergs, they have been resoled twice but TLC has keep leather uppers in good condition. But, way too warm for Camino so wearing Altras that will be binned once past it.

Yes, I do. I virtually live in lightweight leather boots, and see no reason to wear something else on Camino. They get a good clean from time to time and a coat of Zamberlan Hydrobloc. I don’t clean my boots whilst in Spain but carry a tiny plastic tub of hydrobloc in case reproofing is necessary after a few days rain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I do. I virtually live in lightweight leather boots, and see no reason to wear something else on Camino. They get a good clean from time to time and a coat of Zamberlan Hydrobloc. I don’t clean my boots whilst in Spain but carry a tiny plastic tub of hydrobloc in case reproofing is necessary after a few days rain.
Oh, thank you - I've never used hydrobloc before, but as you say, they come in a nice little tube that's perfect for being on the move. I've certainly walked in weather where you need to reproof (Galicia in Storm Miguel in 2019 was a memorable example!).

Thanks for your replies, all! Glad I'm not alone. I also like the ritual of finding a nice strong twig at the end of the day, and getting the mud out from the treads. Plus, when on the camino, finding an old copy of Voz de Galicia to scrunch up and put inside wet shoes at the end of the day, hoping and praying the newspaper will get most of the sogginess out by the morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My ritual is with my feet. My first Camino was a fiasco for my feet. Lots of pain, blisters, bleeding. I went to a Podiatrist who. carefully worked on my feet and gave me some pointers on what to do to avoid foot fiascos. My 2nd Camino was much better following the rituals he suggested:

Trim all toenails at least once/wk. Take an emory board sandpaper and smooth all toenails as far as they go.

Use that emory board to all areas of my feet where hot spots and callouses grow.

Use a moisturizing lotion to my feet at least 3x/wk.

When walking the Camino, each morning before putting on socks apply new small strips of Ace bandage to the spots where historically I’ve had callouses and blisters.

Each evening in the shower wash carefully each foot. Pull off any band aids or Ace bandage. Dry. Apply moisturizing cream.

He suggested for me to not use hiking boots or shoes but hiking sandals with one pair of medium thick merino wool socks.

Buen Camino everyone. May we experience walking on clouds of comfort as we follow our arrows

Will be doing Portuguese route in September so will be looking forward to your posts . Not spiritual for me, just like well cared for boots. Enjoy walk.

If my trail runners are full of caked on mud I have the following ritual that is very spiritually uplifting. I take my trail runner in my hand and smack it as hard as I can against a rock or a curb. I put it back on and do the same with the other one. I am usually chanting a mantra when I do it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If my trail runners are full of caked on mud I have the following ritual that is very spiritually uplifting. I take my trail runner in my hand and smack it as hard as I can against a rock or a curb. I put it back on and do the same with the other one. I am usually chanting a mantra when I do it.
OK.
It's funny: I've never really started a conversation on this forum, though I've found it very helpful. I posted this as a way of contributing to the shared things people have (generously) offered about their experiences and reflections. I'm less likely to do so again. I'll stick to the road itself.

OK.
It's funny: I've never really started a conversation on this forum, though I've found it very helpful. I posted this as a way of contributing to the shared things people have (generously) offered about their experiences and reflections. I'm less likely to do so again. I'll stick to the road itself.

Please do stick around!
I am always interested how other pilgrims experience things!
Buen Camino!

I love the ritual. I make my own bootwax with only natural waxes. I also walk minimalistic. How was your experience with the magna?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love the ritual. I make my own bootwax with only natural waxes. I also walk minimalistic. How was your experience with the magna?
Fantastic! Really glad I chose them as they were great in the hotter weather we had at the start, but fine in wetter conditions too. I've become a bit of a Magna addict - they're so comfortable!

Fantastic! Really glad I chose them as they were great in the hotter weather we had at the start, but fine in wetter conditions too. I've become a bit of a Magna addict - they're so comfortable!
I love minimalistic walking.

No, because I walk in sandals.
But I do like taking care of the hiking boots I recently acquired. It reminds me of helping my Dad polish his shoes when I was little, a task I liked.

For my boots, mostly that means just brushing the dirt and dust off - but I'd like to do more. For boot wearers, (what specifically) waxes or condtioners do you use?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, because I walk in sandals.
But I do like taking care of the hiking boots I recently acquired. It reminds me of helping my Dad polish his shoes when I was little, a task I liked.

For my boots, mostly that means just brushing the dirt and dust off - but I'd like to do more. For boot wearers, (what specifically) waxes or condtioners do you use?
I make my wax myself. Lanoline, beeswax and carnaubawax. What kind of sandals are you using?

I walk with the forest or the trackers and they are very comfortable too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.