• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Climate and weather in Portugal

Rainerbernd

Time of past OR future Camino
On St James ways since 1971
Olá

All pilgrims want to know what is the weather like in Portugal. As you know, climate changes. But there is some trends for specific months. First of all the 10-days weather forecast for Portugal:

https://www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.localidade.hora/ select district and city

On the IPMA page you can get more informations about temperature, rainfall and so on. What about the weather on my camino? The only way to check it - how was it the last years?

You can do it as follows:

Click Climate > Climate Monitoring maps or graphics? select at Selecione you prefer graphics, choose your district

looking for average temperature:

Parâmetro - Temp. Méd. do Ar
Análise - Media
Ano - year

looking for rainfall:

Parâmetro - Precipitação
Anâlise - Total
Ano - year

Click on the monthly map to expand it. Now you can compare what was the weather like during the past years.

Bom caminho with lots of sunshine, Rainer

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Olá Rainer.
The weather forecast, it is just a forecast information, nothing more. It can change.
Yes, climate changes, this year it was a very hot unusual summer from July to September like 40º Celcius.
The best expected weather to do the caminho Portugues is May, Jun, September and October.
Please understand, that as long you walk north the temperature is lower than south and some rain.
But you will never know, and that is what the caminho is all about.
Bom Caminho
Mario
Santarem Hostel

Olá Rainer.
The weather forecast, it is just a forecast information, nothing more. It can change.
Yes, climate changes, this year it was a very hot unusual summer from July to September like 40º Celcius.
The best expected weather to do the caminho Portugues is May, Jun, September and October.
Please understand, that as long you walk north the temperature is lower than south and some rain.
But you will never know, and that is what the caminho is all about.
Bom Caminho
Mario
Santarem Hostel

Olá Mario, sim, o tempo muda. Yes, weather forecast is just an information for the next period of x-days. I remember May two years ago with heavy rain on some days. Foi horrivel. May last year was warm. May this year was a bit on the cool side. Comprei um casaco de lã em Porto. Well, the north is always a bit cooler and rainy than the south. I know all parts of Portugal. Every year I work as hospitaleiro in Angeiras. In the seventies I used to live in Beja and we had hot summers there, up to 45º C. Btw. I always say I don´t speak Portuguese, so Alentejano, sabes?

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Back