• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Cloisters - 999th thing I didn't know

Caminando

Veteran Member
I think that when we walk a camino it involves heaven and earth.

Therefore I was pleased to discover recently that the cloisters of the Middle Ages, which we encounter in France and Spain (Portugal?) are designed with this in mind.

The axial, cruciform shape with a central feature is intended to symbolise the conjunction of God and man.

I don't know how to add a photo of a cloister, so if anyone has a moment, can you add one for me? Thanks!

:arrow:

D

Deleted member 3000

Here's one.

Attachments

• 250px-Cloister,_Fontenay_Abbey,_Marmagne,_France.JPG
    250px-Cloister,_Fontenay_Abbey,_Marmagne,_France.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,093

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
Here is one of THE cathedral cloisters. Complete with 'shell' in the centre.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Attachments

• 551.Cathedral cloisters.jpg
    551.Cathedral cloisters.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 579

William Marques

Staff member
St Hilare

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Santo Domingo de Silos with its twisted cloister pillar is unique in that it has a double storied cloister.
Nobody knows why these pillars are twisted.

Attachments

• SontoDomingodeSilosPilar.jpg
    SontoDomingodeSilosPilar.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 769
  • SantoDomingodeSilos.jpg
    SantoDomingodeSilos.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 769

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Two cloisters here. First one was on the Le Puy route, and second one was in Estella. The one in Estella particularly appealed to me: it is in a state of partial repair, and somehow that made the presence of medieval monks walking around in prayer more real for me......
Margaret

[

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 746

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Who knows where this church is?

Attachments

• Cloisters.JPG
    Cloisters.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 628

Telluridewalker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1988)
Are the request lines open? Does anyone have a picture to post of the cloisters at the Monastery at Samos? That, despite the austere accommodations, was one of my favorite overnights on the camino.

-John

(What a cloister-ous thread :roll: )

wawpdx

Marylynn, thanks for reviving this thread. There are places here that I didn't know existed.
Maybe I need to go back. : )

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
One of my favorite cloisters in Estella is the 13th century church San Pedro de La Rua. Since the church is perched on a limestone cliff today you take a sleek contemporary elevator open 24/7 up to view into the impressive Romanesque cloister! This stylistic mixed urban combo is a great success.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
One of my favorite cloisters in Estella is the 13th century church San Pedro de La Rua. Since the church is perched on a limestone cliff today you take a sleek contemporary elevator open 24/7 up to view into the impressive Romanesque cloister! This stylistic mixed urban combo is a great success.

I also love the cloister at Estella! Did you notice the twisted pillar? And the statue that appears to be so obviously Asian?

freescot

Camino(s) past & future
La Plata (2010) Portuguese from Coimbra(2010) Levante (2011) La Lana (2013) Francés from Roncevalles to Molinasaca then the Camino de Invierno (2014)
This is the cloisters in Sobrado. They are not startlingly magnificent but they are in constant use by pilgrims, with the entrances to the dormitories and loos directly off the cloisters, as well as a hose and basins for washing clothes.

Laliibeans

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
There is a scene in The Way where it appears they are sleeping in the cloisters themselves. Does anyone know where this is?

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
I think that when we walk a camino it involves heaven and earth.

Therefore I was pleased to discover recently that the cloisters of the Middle Ages, which we encounter in France and Spain (Portugal?) are designed with this in mind.
designed
The axial, cruciform shape with a central feature is intended to symbolise the conjunction of God and man.

I don't know how to add a photo of a cloister, so if anyone has a moment, can you add one for me? Thanks!

:arrow:
Just to put this in perspective the cloisters were desinged for mediation and prayer were you are in closed by 4 walls and you can not see the outside world the only way to do that was to look up and in doing so you were looking at heaven

Advertisement

Booking.com