• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closed Albergues

countrycasita

Just got back from doing the first ten days of the Camino Frances from St Jean. Two quick notes on Albergues in the early stages: At Villamayor de Monjardin, the municipal albergue is closed after the roof fell in during the winter. Apparently there is some question about how to raise the money for the repairs so this could be closed for some time... this leaves only the 25 place Dutch-run Christian place at the top of the village. I found it delightful and friendly with a communal meal - but it was full by about 2pm and they were ordering taxis to ferry people on to Los Arcos. Also, although the number is given in Brierley, they don't actually take advanced telephone bookings.

Secondly I failed to find the Santa Maria hostel in Viana and was told in the bar opposite the church that it too was closed. Again that puts pressure on the main Andres Munoz albergue (which was pretty ordinary and had 3-level bunks). On the bright side, the Palacio hotel right near the albergue gave the best evening meal of the trip - quality and value (9.50 euros).
Incidentally, I was surprised how early places filled up....mid- afternoon by and large. Is it like this all the time or is late April/ early May particularly busy??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a 15-bed parroquial albergue in Viana, but it is not yet open for the season:

Plaza de los Fueros (Junto a la iglesia de Santa María)
Availability of the shelter: In 2011 from the second week of June to the 30 of September
Price: Donation
Places Total places: 15
Description of rooms: Four rooms
Reservation: No
Conditions of admission to accede to the shelter: To be pilgrim with credential
Aperture time: 12:00 Hour of closing: 22:00

I am SO not surprised the roof came down at Villamayor de Monjardin. I was there last Spring during a week of thunderstorms, and the rain poured right through the roof! When I called in the people in charge (I was hospitalera-ing) they just kinda shrugged and said their roofs leak ,too, when the wind blows so hard -- there was no money in the parish budget to put a new roof on the ramshackle old truck garage.

Maybe now something will be done to improve that much-neglected place. My only sadness is it was one of the very few and fading number of truly "donativo" albergues left on the Camino. And I feel its neglected state is due to the hundreds of pilgrims who consider "donativo" to mean "free," and contribute nothing toward the upkeep of the buildings they feel entitled to use.

The parishes cannot support the pilgrim throngs all on their own.
The Donativo ideal is disappearing from the Camino.
There is plenty enough money to keep them all in fine shape. Unfortunately, it is still in the pilgrims´pockets!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back