• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Closed borders

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Not sure if it’s the right place to post...
Heard tonight that French borders would remain closed to non-European countries until further notice... Confinement measures will ease up after the 11th May but cafés, restaurants etc will remain closed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I listened to his speech and he didn’t mention any date... (I hope I haven’t missed it, will check in the papers).

20 h 24 Les frontières fermées jusqu'à nouvel ordre avec les pays non européens
Emmanuel Macron a annoncé lundi soir que les frontières avec les pays non européens resteront fermées jusqu'à nouvel ordre.

That is what I heard: until further notice....

The only date mentioned was 11th May, when strict confinement will ease up progressively, for instance, schools and nursery schools will re-open but not universities, hotels, restaurants, cafés, concerts etc

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I listened to his speech and he didn’t mention any date... (I hope I haven’t missed it, will check in the papers).

20 h 24 Les frontières fermées jusqu'à nouvel ordre avec les pays non européens
Emmanuel Macron a annoncé lundi soir que les frontières avec les pays non européens resteront fermées jusqu'à nouvel ordre.

That is what I heard: until further notice....

The only date mentioned was 11th May, when strict confinement will ease up progressively, for instance, schools and nursery schools will re-open but not universities, etc

Of course the message he has to bring is very hard but what a wonderful choice of words he uses! And the dignity that comes with it.

What is certain is the fact that, a few days ago, the European Commission invited the EU+ countries to prolong the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU until 15 May. The Commission wishes to see a coordinated approach by the Schengen countries plus the rest but they have no powers to impose it. It is up to every individual country to decide and I don't know whether they've decided on a common approach. So, in short, Macron can decide for France but not for the other 25+4 countries (number 27, Ireland, is in a separate category from the rest).

The current travel ban for the external borders (Schengen et al) is valid until 16 April or so.

More here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_616

Last edited:
What is certain is the fact that, a few days ago, the European Commission invited the EU+ countries to prolong the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU until 15 May. The Commission wishes to see a coordinated approach by the Schengen countries plus the rest but they have no powers to impose it. It is up to every individual country to decide and I don't know whether they've decided on a common approach. So, in short, Macron can decide for France but not for the other 26+4 countries. The current travel ban for the external (Schengen et al) borders is valid until 26 April or so.

More here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_616
Yes, that’s why I said French borders will be closed. I didn’t mention any other countries because I haven’t got that information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of course the message he has to bring is very hard but what a wonderful choice of words he uses! And the dignity that comes with it.

We said the same. We watched him and I loved how he talked about the most vulnerable people and how we need to grow from this and strive for something better. Gosh it all seems so surreal. It's all very sad and I am counting my blessings for all the good things I have. We've taken so much for granted up to now.

I heard an Australia radio news broadcast - i thought it applied to ALL of the EU (eg inc Portugal and Spain). Anyone able to clarify?? Thanks

I think bordering countries like Spain, maybe The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany will follow.
So it will be most of central / western Europe with closed borders. The Home Office of Germany maybe will implement end of this week a further travel-ban. But that's not for sure. We will see.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And if you can enter those countries be sure of the quarantine measurements coming in and returning home. And not only that but most accommodation are closed even if you ave a second home there. So unless you are a migrant worker with the purpose to work or a truck driver bringing goods traveling now is as difficult as it was 150 years ago.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s why I said French borders will be closed. I didn’t mention any other countries because I haven’t got that information.
I obviously had replied to a question in the thread concerning the headline "Macron Warns EU External Borders May Remain Closed Until September Due to COVID-19". The situation at the various external borders (country) and internal borders (between two EU countries or even between regions within a country) is quite varied if not to say confusing. For example, nationals of a country and legal residents may return home as a rule but in some countries they now have to go into a 14 days quarantine, no matter where they have been.

And since the title of the thread says just "closed borders" I hope it will be ok to link to an article in a Spanish newspaper as I got curious about what it's like in say Valcarlos/Arneguy, see here. And I am intrigued by the red crosses and the green ok signs. It's April. Well, they are perhaps not "ok" signs and just "not currently blocked for traffic" signs. ☺

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 11.56.20.png

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Border Switzerland-France, with official sign saying "temporary closure" and graffiti appealing to everyone to stay at home and show solidarity:

CH-F.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back