• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closed Gites...or Gites closed to Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorCat

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
Hey all...

This weekend, in preparation for hiking the LePuy route, I began making reservations. To my surprise, 3 of the 5 gites contacted indicated they are no longer in business. I was surprised because all of them were not only listed as open for business by many Via Podiensis resource sites, two of the three have fully functional websites with current price schedules.

These are those:

http://www.lahaltedupelerin.fr/

http://www.louprat.com/

http://www.nogaro-tourisme.fr/o-334--/la-fontaine-saint-jacques---nogaro

Apologies if it's unfair to wonder if anti-Americanism could have played a part in denying my reservations. The fact that the websites in question are still operational did leave me with a creepy feeling.

Anyhoo...apparently the three businesses listed above are no longer in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having the website up after the business has closed just means the web-host has not deleted the file. One can find all sorts of Internet antiquities out there ... way past presidential campaigns for example. But I'm surprised the directory listings don't show the closure. What about any update pages for the directories? These establishments are very small "mom-and-pop" businesses with a very high workload; I'm not surprised to see turnover.

Gîtes and Hostels both come into and go out of existence or business quite routinely as time proceeds, so that it is not possible for any pilgrim guide resources to be 100% accurate on any given day.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was surprised because all of them were not only listed as open for business by many Via Podiensis resource sites, [...]
http://www.lahaltedupelerin.fr/
http://www.louprat.com/
http://www.nogaro-tourisme.fr/o-334--/la-fontaine-saint-jacques---nogaro

#1 and #2 are not located on the Via Podiensis, are you aware of that? Thus it's not possible that they are listed in any accomodation list for the Via (or if any of them is, it's a fault).

#1, La Halte du Pelerin, is located on the way from Cluny to Le Puy which I did in 2014. #2, Chambres & table d'hôtes Mas Lou Prat is located some 120 km south of Le Puy, in the Cevennes Natonal Park.

#3 is in Nogaro which is indeed on the Via Podiensis.

Maybe the rejection of your request was sort of a misunderstanding? Obviously, if you're seeking accomodation for the Via Podiensis and ask #1 and #2, they simply can't help you.

Harald

Hi PastorCat,

You will be better off with a up to date edition of the "MiamMiam Dodo" guide.

And you don't need to book ahead more than one or two nights, if you don't walk within a large group. Just beware of Saturday nights (some accommodation might be booked by wedding parties), and book the Conques Abbey gite in advance if you intend to stay there.

You will find no anti-Americanism along the Chemin. Nothing personal against you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I second what haralds has said above. the prices for the gite in nogaro on their site are from 2015, so it's quite possible that they are closed now.

the latest miam miam dodo is the best source for accommodation on via podiensis. true, not all gites listed as speaking english speak english, but if you show at least a small effort towards speaking french, you shouldn't have any problems reserving a day in advance, as most pilgrims do.
except for the abbey in conques, reserve this as soon as you know when you'll be there, it's very popular. they do keep 10 beds which can't be reserved, but they fill up quickly. the communal gite in conques has unfortunately had a bad reputation (unkept, dirty, bedbugs) for years.

have you checked this forum resource? it's been updated at the start of 2017. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/accommodation-list-for-voie-de-puy-2016.494/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No politics please, refer to the rules before posting.

TYVM, and so I've expanded my central point about accommodation along the Ways of St James to be clearer.

When I first went on the Camino, I emailed every accommodation in Valcarlos and didn't hear back from any of them. When I arrived in Valcarlos it turned out they were all closed for the season.

I suppose I could conjecture that they all refused to answer my emails and conspired to deliberately close that day because they didn't like the government of the country I live in. Or I could just assume, as I did, that they knew they'd be closed and didn't answer. Whatever.

There are enough problems in this world without any of us trying to create any more. I learned a long time ago that if you go looking for trouble, you will probably find it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some practical findings however :
- try to use up to date information, gites appear and disappear over time,
- pay attention to the location of the gites when you try to book ahead, as several ones may have the same name, specially if as generic as "halte du pélerin"
- don't overplan if not needed, you will be happy to change plans as you go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
#1 and #2 are not located on the Via Podiensis, are you aware of that? Thus it's not possible that they are listed in any accomodation list for the Via (or if any of them is, it's a fault).

#1, La Halte du Pelerin, is located on the way from Cluny to Le Puy which I did in 2014. #2, Chambres & table d'hôtes Mas Lou Prat is located some 120 km south of Le Puy, in the Cevennes Natonal Park.

#3 is in Nogaro which is indeed on the Via Podiensis.

Maybe the rejection of your request was sort of a misunderstanding? Obviously, if you're seeking accomodation for the Via Podiensis and ask #1 and #2, they simply can't help you.

Harald

Thank you Harald!

The error of location was actually an enormous surprise! I used the site below to plan my pilgrimage. I have no idea how I could have made a mistake location-wise. I certainly intend on double-checking what I’ve mapped out. Would you mind if I sent you the Excel spreadsheet I’m working on. I’m rather stunned I could have made an error as significant as a wrong location. I’m afraid I may have done that more than once.

https://godesalco.com/plan/podense

Last edited:
Thank you Harald! [...]Would you mind if I sent you the Excel spreadsheet I’m working on.

You're very welcome! I sent you my mail adress privately, if you like, you can send me the spreadsheet. But as there are lots of savvy guys on this forum, I would then transform it into a forum posting so that everyone can have a look at it. You'll get better responses if it's checked by multiple ones. If you like, you can also simply post a screenshot of the spreadsheet here.

Harald

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.