• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closest airport to Leon

scubajunky

HI All,
I think I may have decided to walk from Leon to Santiago to finish my Camino.
Coming from the UK can anyone recommend an airline / flight path to get me as clos to Leon as possible ?
Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Madrid and then a bus up to Leon. Alsa.es is your friend. Buen Camino! SY

The airport for Leon is in the suburb La Virgen del Camino. The number of flights has dwindled over the years, so the new airport terminal is barely use. Air Nostrum and Iberia are the primary airlines with flights almost exclusively from Madrid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
scubajunky, coming from the UK, you could fly to Santander (from Stansted, I think), then train to Leon via Palencia. Avoids Madrid.
I had a plan to do this if we had to divide our last camino into two parts.
Falcon is on-track about the limited flights to Leon.

Ryanair fly from Stansted to Valladolid. There (used to be) a bus from the terminal to Leon which is shorter than the journey from Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Easyjet fly Stansted to Asturias (Oviedo). There is a two hour rail transfer to get to Leon from Oviedo City, although I believe the airport is the best part of 50km from the city.

There also appears to be an hourly bus link (Alsa) from the airport to Leon with a change in either Oviedo or Gijon.

Last edited:
Getting to Leon is the easy part, I am assuming you want to return home. Santiago to Madrid by bus is a killer, few stops so you need a bladder the size of a watermelon-while promising Santiago-Madrid Barajas the bus first enters Madrid and then you change buses for the airport.. Trains are a more expensive option with the same indirect connection. With a good travel agent, you may find a deal with Iberia etc, England-Madrid-Leon and Santiago-Madrid-England priced as connections on same flight/same airline and therefore cheaper than all separate ticketing. Talk with the pros before deciding.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI All,
I think I may have decided to walk from Leon to Santiago to finish my Camino.
Coming from the UK can anyone recommend an airline / flight path to get me as clos to Leon as possible ?
Thanks in advance.
Madrid then bus from airport. Closer airports to leon or in leon really only do regional flights,

If you know your flights then you can book trains in advance.You can get a single as low as 20 euros on the Madrid to Leon line and back from Santiago to Madrid it could be low as 28 Euros on the day services(5-6 hours), on the overnight train including a bed it could be as low as €60(9 hours+) without a bed from €35 euros, if its a busy time then prices go up dramatically.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you could fly to Santander (from Stansted, I think), then train to Leon via Palencia.

Depending on the arrival time to Santander and on the day of the week you arrive to Santander, bus might be an alternative although it seems there's just one direct bus and it doesn't run daily. On the other hand, there are many options changing buses in Oviedo. Take a look at the web of Alsa for info about schedules and fares.

Ryanair fly from Stansted to Valladolid.

They don't fly anymore from London to Valladolid.

Getting to Leon is the easy part, I am assuming you want to return home.

Returning home is quite easy if your outbound flight is a low cost flight to either Asturias Airport or Santander Airport or even Madrid airport because your inbound flight could be a direct low cost flight back to London from Santiago de Compostela airport with Ryanair or with Easyjet. Or, alternatively, if there isn't a low cost flight back to London from Santiago de Compostela on your travel dates, you could look for fares to London from A Coruña airport with Vueling...

Seems there are quite a few options and I'm slightly confused at the moment. Santander seems like a good option, has anyone done the route recently and how did they do it ?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back