• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

closest airport to Saint jean pied de port

paul m kidd

Hi, can anyone help?

is Biarritz the closest airport to San Jean (i will be flying from London Stanstead via Glasgow Scotland).
If so how do you travel from Biarritz to San Jean and can you collect a pilgrims credentials in San Jean.

Many thanks

Buen Camino

Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Biarritz is the closest airport. Easyjet does a Gatwick to Biarritz flight that gets you there around noon. There is a bus that goes from the airport to Bayonne train station. From Bayonne, you can get a train directly to St Jean. Our flight landed on time and we didn't have to wait too long to pick up a bus (the bus stop is to the left hand side as you leave the front door of the airport). There is more than one bus, so make sure that you end up on the one that says Bayonne Gare (Gare=train station). This gets you into Bayonne in time to get your train tickets (it is just a local train) and have a drink or two at the bar across the road from the station before the train. You arrive in St Jean while the pilgrim's office is still open (Aceuil des Pelerins). Just follow everyone wearing a rucksack uphill and into the old part of town. You should try to book accomodation ahead of time in St Jean. You can get your credencial at the Aceuil. They also give you information sheets, which we found handy as our guidebook (The Way of St James, published by Cicerone) wasn't very useful about accomodation info.

The flight from Gatwick is quite early in the morning, so we arrived in London the night before and spent the night in the YoHotel (which is a Japanese style pod) right in the airport. There are also pods for two.

An alternative route to bear in mind is to fly from Gatwick on the British Airways 0750hrs (arr.1025) flight to Bordeaux, then bus to train station,then TGV to Bayonne connecting with the SJPP train. You get into SJPP at about 4.15pm, setting you up nicely for an early start the next day. It was relatively painless for me in May.

The advantages, apart from avoiding the revolting Easyjet and Ryanair, are that there are no extra charges for check-in baggage, boarding card or drinks/snack on board. It cost me £56 one way in May booking only 3 weeks beforehand (more expensive in high summer). The train was about €30.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back