• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closing ceremonies for the Ano Xacobeo. Televised as the opening was?

Perambulating Griffin

Time of past OR future Camino
My title pretty much sums it up.
Does anyone know if there will be televised closing of the holy year on Dec 31?
Locals? @natefaith, @ivar?
I hope so.
Wept like a baby in the opening ceremonies....
Was lucky enough to make it this year....
was lucky enough to be embraced by Fr. Manny at the end of his mass on the morning I was at the chapel...
would love to close it out with a virtual attendance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anyone know if there will be televised closing of the holy year on Dec 31?
Seems that there will be a big celebratory TV show after the religious ceremony for the end of the Holy Year. Perhaps that will include the cathedral's event.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As a relatively new but eager member of this forum I want to acknowledge and thank all those who know and share so much about all things Camino and more.
I saw the Torre del Reloj light in November and wondered about it as I couldn’t remember it from previous Caminos.
My thanks and gratitude to you all
Feliz Navidad

It is 14:00 h in Santiago. One hour to go before the Holy Door will be closed for the general public; the webcam does not show many people wanting to walk through it at this late time. Two and a half hours to go before the archbishop will officially and symbolically close the door at 16:30 h local time. The ceremony will be broadcast by Galician TV - http://www.crtvg.es/tvg/tvg-en-directo - from 16:00 until 18:20, followed by a short documentary about how Galicia has changed during the last decades in relation to the Camino de Santiago.

Program.jpgPuerta Santa.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is that the Pilgrim Office as background? I was a bit surprised to see that the head of the Galician regional government, Alfonso Rueda, chose this as background for his public New Year 2023 address.

Rueda New Year.jpg

The ceremony will be broadcast by Galician TV - http://www.crtvg.es/tvg/tvg-en-directo - from 16:00 until 18:20, followed by a short documentary about how Galicia has changed during the last decades in relation to the Camino de Santiago.

The actual closure was rather quick: Big key in lock and a turn and that was it as they have abolished erecting a brick wall as symbolic closure ... The short documentary is being replaced by a program about Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.

A recording of the mass closing the Holy Year 2021/22 will no doubt be posted on YouTube soon.

The actual closure was rather quick: Big key in lock and a turn and that was it as they have abolished erecting a brick wall as symbolic closure ... The short documentary is being replaced by a program about Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.

A recording of the mass closing the Holy Year 2021/22 will no doubt be posted on YouTube soon.
Yes, watched that ceremony and the final mass of 2022.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Watching/listening to the closing ceremony in the cathedral late this afternoon was most poignant.

The camera work was splendid, especially the close-up views of ecclesiastical fittings as well as human reactions.

Sadly many older participants as well as viewers may never again see that great door be unlocked on the eve of the next Holy Year.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.