• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Closure of coronovirus threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana

Caminos are great, and gathering pre-trip info is all part of the fun. Pilgrims planning trips, including myself, must inevitably be wondering how the growing Coronavirus problem might impact on their walk, the timing and planning of their trip, and especially be wondering about the wisdom of sharing Albergue rooms with global strangers, wondering the way things are heading if albergues might even be open in a month or two. For many from the four global corners, doing a Camino is a very expensive trip and needs to be thought through .....

Not one to over dramatise the impact, it is nevertheless an increasingly important issue and should be openly discussed here. After a search, it was disappointing to find one recent thread on probably the most serious health issue of our time has been locked. I (very respectfully) do not understand why.

I do understand censoring hysterical posts, but not mature balanced discussions, where people can openly chat about concerns.

I really hope this is a blip in the moderation of these threads.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As the moderator who locked the thread after some considerable discussion with the other moderators perhaps I should be the one to respond to your post. The easiest way is perhaps to quote a private message I sent to another member who contacted me last night with a similar concern:

This thread has been a hot topic for debate amongst the moderators today. And not just on this forum but in a number of other Camino-related groups. The consensus is that groups like ours really are not the best places for detailed discussion of the technical questions around the virus and its spread. Many of the posts are simply ill-informed speculation or wildly misleading. There are many official agencies providing up-to-date and verified information. As moderators we do not have the technical knowledge to vet posts. So far the impact of coronavirus in Spain is very slight and not directly related to the Caminos. If the situation changes - as I think it probably will - and there is some definite reliable information relevant to those walking the Caminos we will of course make sure that it is posted. But ours is not a medical information site and we feel strongly that those seeking reliable information should not be depending on posts from self-appointed "experts".

After a search, it was disappointing to find one recent thread on probably the most serious health issue of our time has been locked. I (very respectfully) do not understand why.

In the winter of 2018/2019 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that, due to a viral infection, up to 42.9 million people got sick, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.
That’s an improvement on the 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.

And yet those events scarcely got a mention in the press or on TV. Why? Because it was the influenza virus and well, everybody gets the flu don't they?

Let's have a sense of proportion here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with the moderator. A forum is not the place to be sharing medical advice and spreading unnecessary fear and anxiety.

If people want travel advice about Coronavirus, then their home country's travel advisories are the place to get it, not an internet forum.

2600 Coronavirus deaths.
640,000 deaths from the flu each year (worldwide statistics. User above quoted US statistics).

A reminder that the thread being referred to was locked because this forum is not an appropriate place for speculation or amateur advice on medical matters. Also a reminder that a more appropriate way to question moderator decisions is to contact @ivar or the moderator concerned privately to discuss the matter. This is part of the forum rules which members are expected to abide by. This thread has been allowed to remain for the moment because some explanation of this particular decision seems helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.