• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Cloth Badge on Backpack

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I have a couple of cloth badges I would like to attach to my backpack. Can this be done without sewing the badge i.e. gluing the badges on directly? If you have done this do you have a specific glue to recommend?

Thanks

Guy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stop by your local fabric store and ask for some fabric glue. An alternative solution is to sew on with needle and thread in the normal fashion then apply a coat of seam sealer to the underside.

We sew ours to an outer pocket, where it is easy to do so and does not puncture the pack itself. OK on our particular packs. Our only problem now is that we are running out of space :)
My experience of stick on velcro is that it can peel off so still needs a few stitches to be secure on a pack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All packs are sewn and will leak at the seams, so adding a few more pin holes wouldn't be all that bad. In the ultralite backpacking world they just accept this and many will use a plastic bag as a pack liner to keep their stuff dry instead of an extra pack cover. Many use trash compactor bags as they are lighter and always in use vs a cover as the cover adds more weight and don't keep your stuff dry in heavy rain. this means anything in an outer pocket gets wet and you plan for it.

But sewing the patch on an outside pocket is the easiest way to go.

I use Loctite Stik'N Seal Outdoor Adhesive for patches, shoe repairs and other things. Really good stuff.

I have four patches and I'm going to sew them on the outside pocket using very strong thread of the same colour as the badge border. I don't think the pin holes will create a problem. If it rains I'll be using the raincover anyway.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I didn't want to make more holes in my pack but wanted to attach patches. I did end up sewing them on. Didn't impact at all on waterproof-ness of my things, and believe me, I was tested!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
another vote for using a very fine needle and thread (and Packa!)

Here in S.India the post today brought my 2 Camino badges and the '14 edition of Brierley's Camino Guide. How does it get any better than that?
However, Ivor, your fancy envelopes that are "easy opening", was already 1/2 open, and luckily badges were still inside!

Here in S.India the post today brought my 2 Camino badges and the '14 edition of Brierley's Camino Guide. How does it get any better than that?
However, Ivor, your fancy envelopes that are "easy opening", was already 1/2 open, and luckily badges were still inside!

Maybe someone thought it was money :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I get my badges sewn on but when I get my pack home, rub a candle on the inside of the pack where the stitches are to get a waterproof seal.

I hope to get my forum name made into a patch and sewn below the forum patch, that way other forum members can say hello or run the other way. attachFull7924attachFull7923
Wayfarer, I'm already following Usain Bolt's training schedule just in case I see that personalised badge approaching. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• upload_2014-2-5_22-34-40.png
    upload_2014-2-5_22-34-40.png
    95 bytes · Views: 31
  • upload_2014-2-5_22-34-40.png
    upload_2014-2-5_22-34-40.png
    95 bytes · Views: 20
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or if your not careful wayfarer, "don't stop walking" right past you !!!! Not that I would dream of doing that if we ever meet on the Way. :)

Another benefit of sewing rather than glueing is that when you eventually replace your backpack, a couple of minutes with a stitch picker will see any treasured badges available to put on a new backpack which is probably not an option if they're glued on.

Hi,

I have a couple of cloth badges I would like to attach to my backpack. Can this be done without sewing the badge i.e. gluing the badges on directly? If you have done this do you have a specific glue to recommend?

Thanks

Guy
I tried different types of glue but none worked. Eventually I sewed my badges on using fishing line. This worked really well and didn't show at all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wayfarer, I'm already following Usain Bolt's training schedule just in case I see that personalised badge approaching. :rolleyes:
Is that the one he uses at the end of his race, best described as partial dip of his shoulder then pointing as if shooting arrows at the Camino field of stars? Wayfarer would be so impressed by your welcome supersullivan! ;)

Hi,

Thanks

Guy

Hi Guy, i used Heavy Duty Wonder, you can find it at a sewing store like Joanne in the USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Sewn on with yellow thread. I considered sewing the Forum patch on upside -down, wanting the arrow to point West!

Attachments

• badges.jpeg
    badges.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might consider using a hot-glue to attach velcro to your Forum patch. Many back-packs have a velcro swab already on the pack. Or, you can sew the velcro on yourself.
I have velcro bases on my packs and can switch the patch according to my venue or location.
(You can even turn it upside down or right-side up :)
Velcro is excellent for patches....

Buen Camino!!!

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago 2012 001.jpg
    Camino de Santiago 2012 001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yeah I also wondered why the Forum badge's arrow was pointing East! I may consider stitching it upside down on my back pack, LoL!

Back