• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothes and weather in May/June..

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
Hello Peregrinos! ;)

I would like to ask what do you think that is the best clothes for May/June (Camino Francés)..? I've read there is rainy, windy, but also hot weather. I know only summer time walking and I would like to be prepared for that..

Is it good to have softshell or light long pants and shirt or just shorts? I need to have a lightweight backpack as you know.. :)

I'm just thinking if I need something warmer or my summer clothes is ok in this spring time in Spain..

Anyway thanks a lot for every answer!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Peregrinos! ;)

I would like to ask what do you think that is the best clothes for May/June (Camino Francés)..? I've read there is rainy, windy, but also hot weather. I know only summer time walking and I would like to be prepared for that..

Is it good to have softshell or light long pants and shirt or just shorts? I need to have a lightweight backpack as you know.. :)

I'm just thinking if I need something warmer or my summer clothes is ok in this spring time in Spain..

I await the answers too as I am walking 2 May 2017 from SJPP and don't want to get cold - but don't want to carry unnecessary clothing!
Linda

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lightweight layers are the secret:
  • Whatever pants and shirt you would wear on a hot day
  • Light long sleeve shirt for cooler days and/or sun protection
  • Rain layer - either jacket and pants, or a poncho. Jacket is more versatile as it can be a wind breaker or extra insulation.
  • Spare pants and top (I prefer both to be long) for evenings and sleeping
  • Light fleece or similar for extra warmth, mainly in the evenings
If you are really afraid of being cold, take another layer (top and bottom) of light weight long underwear, but I think you could probably manage without them by putting on all of your other clothes if it gets really cold. However, you must not arrive at your albergue at the end of the day's walk with no dry clothes for the evening.

I would not recommend going with only short pants. Take one shorts and one lightweight long pants.

In May/June last year, I had:
1 pr shorts
2 tee shirts (quick dry)
merino wool long underwear, long sleeve top and pant bottoms
lightweight dress (wore this as other things were washing, sometimes wore it with long underwear)
lightweight fleece jacket
2 underwear, 1 bra
rain jacket and rain pants.

Notice I had no long pants, but found I didn't need them with the long underwear bottoms I could wear under my shorts or with my dress and with the rain pants.

Thank you - so you think taking a puffa jacket and a polar fleece too much?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It has been said before on this forum that Merino wool is a good product.
I have tested two lightweight t-shirts (icebreaker, don't sting) in summer and recently and they perform well in hot and a bit chilly weather (+polar vest).
I tested socks too and even when wet, they keep my feet warm.
Still looking for lightweight, but pricy, items;)
Will have to compromise and see that I don't pass the 7kg limit and my budget :)

Last edited:
Great! Thank you for the answers! I was thinking about the same, but I just wanted to be sure.. I'm warm-blooded, so hope I'll be ok with that what I have.. :D

If you are starting in early May, I would expect that you will only need one insulation layer garment for walking. I prefer to carry a 1/4 zip fleece for that, But did see some down jackets being worn on chillier evenings, although they weren't that common.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are starting in early May, I would expect that you will only need one insulation layer garment for walking. I prefer to carry a 1/4 zip fleece for that, But did see some down jackets being worn on chillier evenings, although they weren't that common.
It would rather say 2, one for walking and one for the evening.
Light fleece (Polar 100) has from 274g to 327g, a down jacket 357g (around).
What the vendor is advertising is not always correct, eg merino socks mid weight/mid hight one pair 65g and the other 71g, just a different color :rolleyes:
The 2 Polar vests are bought in a different year (Dec15&Feb16) same brand (The NF)
Good luck with the gear search.
Starting myself 03/05.
Not enough time for preparing (long walks).
Buen Camino

May is one of those funny months in Spain - much like it is in Prague I imagine. It can be freezing cold and rainy, wonderfully warm and sunny, and scorching hot. Out of 4 caminos, I have experienced 2 where it snowed lightly for a day just outside of Leon. The snow didn't amount to anything but it was really cold and windy and I needed everything I had with me on - silk longjohns under my pants, 2 light merino wool sweaters, fleece vest and rain jacket and pants.

The next day and several after were sunburn-hot in both cases, and then rained for a couple of days.

Think about the variety that spring can bring. I don't take a warm jacket as I find myself warm enough with what I mentioned above under my wind proof rain jacket. I often feel the cold, but when I'm walking feeling overheated is more of an issue than the cold is. When I walk very early in the spring (early April) I usually bring and extra layer of something really old that I don't mind leaving behind when it warms up. Others sometimes bring warmer clothes that they then mail home.

Lots of possibilities, but for May and June you shouldn't have to overdo it. Incidentally, in 2013 the Route Napolean was closed because of the snow conditions on May 1st (was passable earlier and on May 2nd it was open and almost entirely clear). It was a wonderful, misty walk that day.

Bottomline, I guess, is that it's hard to predict the weather in May. Count on it being varied. Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with those who say "layers."
I stopped taking a heavy coat on the Camino after my first walk.
Now I take a rainproof shell or my ALTUS, and leave it to that if there is rain.
I wear layers I can peel off, and those generally come off to short sleeves within the first half hour, no matter the weather.
I have a featherweight fleece so when I stop to rest for drink or food, and I'm sweaty, I don't get chilled.

I have a Patagonia nano puff which is only 10 ounces and packs up very small in its own pocket. I wore it every day in may starting the day over my icebreaker tech light long sleeve and an icebreaker short sleeve. I took off layers as the day went on, but also enjoyed the nano puff in the evening. I'm a cold old woman, and don't walk all that fast, and this combination worked for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May is one of those funny months in Spain - much like it is in Prague I imagine. It can be freezing cold and rainy, wonderfully warm and sunny, and scorching hot. Out of 4 caminos, I have experienced 2 where it snowed lightly for a day just outside of Leon. The snow didn't amount to anything but it was really cold and windy and I needed everything I had with me on - silk longjohns under my pants, 2 light merino wool sweaters, fleece vest and rain jacket and pants.

The next day and several after were sunburn-hot in both cases, and then rained for a couple of days.

Think about the variety that spring can bring. I don't take a warm jacket as I find myself warm enough with what I mentioned above under my wind proof rain jacket. I often feel the cold, but when I'm walking feeling overheated is more of an issue than the cold is. When I walk very early in the spring (early April) I usually bring and extra layer of something really old that I don't mind leaving behind when it warms up. Others sometimes bring warmer clothes that they then mail home.

Lots of possibilities, but for May and June you shouldn't have to overdo it. Incidentally, in 2013 the Route Napolean was closed because of the snow conditions on May 1st (was passable earlier and on May 2nd it was open and almost entirely clear). It was a wonderful, misty walk that day.

Bottomline, I guess, is that it's hard to predict the weather in May. Count on it being varied. Buen camino!

Thank you - now we're into 2017 The Camino is that much closer so I'm rethinking (over thinking?!) my packing list. Think I will take the old merino and leggings rather than the puffa jacket which is much bulkier.
Linda

Hello Peregrinos! ;)

Yes to all lf the above. Plus a light polartwch fleece. Pants protect you from tne sun, allow you to sit anywhere, protect you from light rain and especially burrs and all sorts of prickly vegetation. I never walk in anything but long pants.

A soft shell will be good in light rain and in the wind.the long sleeve shirt will also protect you from the sun while keeping you cool.

It would rather say 2, one for walking and one for the evening.
I am prepared to abandon pretensions of style on the camino, and not carry any more than I need. I think the only equipment that I take that is only for 'the evening' is a pair of lightweight shoes, that could be used for walking but never have been. Otherwise, my evening clothes are my clean second set of walking clothes, and if it is cold, I wear my fleece as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked during this time frame this past spring. I had 2 T shirts (merino), 1 merino long sleeve, a pair of hiking pants and a pair of leggings, a light fleece quarter zip, and a rain jacket. I can feel cold easily, and this was fine.

Many days I wore almost everything. It was cool and we had a good amount of rain (not usually all day, but part of a day). I didn't like hiking in the leggings (no pockets, and when it did warm up, they were hot), so I got to the point that I wore them when washing my hiking pants or sleeping in cooler weather.

I also had a pair of light gloves that I wore in the early part of the Camino, and a buff.

I really did not feel like I was missing anything.

I hope this helps, Buen Camino!!

Lightweight layers are the secret:
  • Whatever pants and shirt you would wear on a hot day
  • Light long sleeve shirt for cooler days and/or sun protection
  • Rain layer - either jacket and pants, or a poncho. Jacket is more versatile as it can be a wind breaker or extra insulation.
  • Spare pants and top (I prefer both to be long) for evenings and sleeping
  • Light fleece or similar for extra warmth, mainly in the evenings
If you are really afraid of being cold, take another layer (top and bottom) of light weight long underwear, but I think you could probably manage without them by putting on all of your other clothes if it gets really cold. However, you must not arrive at your albergue at the end of the day's walk with no dry clothes for the evening.

I would not recommend going with only short pants. Take one shorts and one lightweight long pants.
I enjoy reading your information. Very helpful !!

It will rain, it may snow at O'Cerebero, (it did in May 2014) it will be hot on the Meseta and it could be cold at any time. So come prepared for the four seasons.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wear your hard clothing (long pants, boots, jacket - if you are bringing one)

Don't overpack. Don't need dressup stuff or heels.

For me, most important is swimsuits that fit, sun protective clothing that fits, underwear and shoes that fit. Lots of nice clothing to buy that is wonderfully suited to the climate. My favorite is on bestreviewsbase.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked during this time frame this past spring. I had 2 T shirts (merino), 1 merino long sleeve, a pair of hiking pants and a pair of leggings, a light fleece quarter zip, and a rain jacket. I can feel cold easily, and this was fine.

Many days I wore almost everything. It was cool and we had a good amount of rain (not usually all day, but part of a day). I didn't like hiking in the leggings (no pockets, and when it did warm up, they were hot), so I got to the point that I wore them when washing my hiking pants or sleeping in cooler weather.

I also had a pair of light gloves that I wore in the early part of the Camino, and a buff.

I really did not feel like I was missing anything.

I hope this helps, Buen Camino!!
Could you tell me what size and make backpack you used please??

Thank you - now we're into 2017 The Camino is that much closer so I'm rethinking (over thinking?!) my packing list. Think I will take the old merino and leggings rather than the puffa jacket which is much bulkier.
Linda
What size and make backpack did you use please??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Linda,
We start walking from St Jean on the 2nd of May also, sister, aunt and niece, we might see you there! My sister and I did the Camino starting 21st April 4 years ago and we had plenty of cold nights, I think I wore my light weight puffer jacket every night and a light weight fleece most days.
I was very glad for my light weight sleeping bag, my puffer jacket, light weight casual shoes for after walking, good rain coat and rain pants, good quality socks, good hiking boots and poles. As many have said it is about layering some people feel the cold more than others! I like to be dry and warm so packed accordingly 😊
Have you booked your night at St Jean yet?
Deidre

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.