• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothes dryer etiquette

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I personally wouldn’t. I’d try and find the person to tell them their clothes have finished drying. I don’t like to touch other people’s stuff without their permission.

Is it OK to remove a pilgrims items from the dryer to the clean top of the dryer in their absence? I would really like to get started on drying my clothes. Thanks for any input
It depends a bit on how long the clothes have been sitting in the dryer. I would after checking around to see if the owner is nearby.
I have both had my clothes removed by someone, and removed clothes of others from dryers.
Laundry facility courtesy goes both ways. Someone using shared washers and dryers should return to them promptly to remove their things.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would also try to find the person - ask around, preferably to the hospitalero, so that you have witnesses! :) However, if more than 10 minutes have passed and/or they have left the premises, I think it is entirely reasonable to remove the clothes and put them in a careful pile on top of the machine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, but that is a separate question - and our answers might be different. I don't think I want other people folding my underwear!
This is why I stick around while my clothes are drying. I lost only one item of clothing on my trip: in the muni in Astorga I was assigned to a room with me and 50 or 60 new best friends, nearly all male. I set my clothes for post shower on my bed with my towel and shower bag but had to run back to desk where I realized I’d left something. Returning, my underwear (which was under my clothes on the bunk) was missing 😳

In the comillas albergue a near-fist fight broke out, between a Spanish pilgrim and an Australian, neither understanding the other but with much yelling and gesturing. As the Australian was yelling “it’s a CLOTHES DRYER, you put wet clothes in there TO DRY!” I interrupted to explain “he’s not yelling at you for putting your wet clothes in the dryer, he’s angry because his clothes were in there already tumbling when you opened the door to toss in yours”. His reply “well, it was already running, why not just add mine?”

This thread makes me wistful for that first glorious evening when, on arriving at Roncesvalles, I learned that for 2 euros (!!!) you could leave your dirty things down to the laundry in a basket, write your name on a piece of paper in the basket, and return after supper to find it all washed, dried, folded and in the basket with your name on it.
On day 1? How much laundry could you have??
Well, in my case I was a day later than I had supposed I would be due to a missed train out of Bayonne… So I think I’d been in transit 4 days by then.
How wonderful a gift that was.

€149,-
Is it OK to remove a pilgrims items from the dryer to the clean top of the dryer in their absence? I would really like to get started on drying my clothes. Thanks for any input
Future strategy: find a pilgrim or 2 more, and put your laundry together. It makes the cost negligible, cuts the waiting time… and you don’t have to worry about the waning sun and coming chill leaving you with damp clothes on a line.

Manners would dictate that you stay with your laundry until it is finished, this is normal campsite etiquette but I would suggest the same applies of any communal facilities, therefore if left unattended whilst others may want to use the shared facility then it’s fair enough to neatly empty the machine and use it yourself 👍

I shared a pleasant evening after a rainy day with a party of ladies from Germany in an Hostal somewhere in the wilds of Eastern Galicia. The proprietor, a lovely lady, insisted we all bring our "ropa" to be dealt with. After we had had a good supper and a few beers we were still sat around the dining table, as you do, when she appeared with all our clean and dry clothing heaped in one of those plastic lattice work tubs. The German ladies pounced. Their was much laughter as they sorted and compared the various socks, shirts and undergarments. Periodically one would turn to me clutching a something-or-other "Deine?" There was one enormous pair of under-pants that I could not in all honesty claim. The room went silent for a moment, and then the laughter got louder than ever.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the comillas albergue a near-fist fight broke out, between a Spanish pilgrim and an Australian, neither understanding the other but with much yelling and gesturing. As the Australian was yelling “it’s a CLOTHES DRYER, you put wet clothes in there TO DRY!” I interrupted to explain “he’s not yelling at you for putting your wet clothes in the dryer, he’s angry because his clothes were in there already tumbling when you opened the door to toss in yours”. His reply “well, it was already running, why not just add mine?”
That was a tacky thing to do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love this thread – great stories about dryers in albergues – as we wait patiently to get back on the camino ourselves – but meanwhile – the OP hasn’t been back since he posted his question – do you think he’s given up and gone out for the evening? 🤣

I love this thread – great stories about dryers in albergues – as we wait patiently to get back on the camino ourselves – but meanwhile – the OP hasn’t been back since he posted his question – do you think he’s given up and gone out for the evening? 🤣
I think they went with (edit: trecile’s ) answer because it was undoubtedly what they wanted, and is now busy folding their clothes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, but that is a separate question - and our answers might be different. I don't think I want other people folding my underwear!
When at home I host a lot of touring cyclists and women travellers, and usually offer to wash and line-dry their clothes. The responses tend to divide by gender: most women don't want me handling their soiled underwear, whereas men are invariably delighted to avail of the free laundry service.

After an attack of bedbugs on the Norte a few years ago, I picked up a cheap t-shirt and shorts in the next town, stripped off and tumble dried everything to ensure I wasn't taking any hitch-hikers with me: clothes, boots, belt, sleeping bag and stupidly, my crocs, rendering them useless. They shrank 2 sizes with the heat..

€149,-
In the current situation, of Covid 19, I would not want anyone else breathing on, handling or folding my clothes from the dryer.

I do agree we should be conscientious about returning on time to pick up our laundry, especially with a pandemic.

Last edited:
It was not on a camino, but as people are mentioning clothing damage in hotter-than-hades laundry machines….
I was on a trip to Paris as my family’s translator for their “once in a lifetime” trip…
Took our clothes to be washed in the laundromat about halfway through our trip… Put everything in the “delicate” cycle… moved stuff to the dryer and chose the same option but removed things like my stockings and what my grandmother called “the unmentionables”.
Proceeded to get ready for a dinner out that evening and watched as 3 pairs of DIM stockings just sort of *evaporated* as I tried to put them on.
My mother was in hysterics…
I had to go to dinner bare-legged. They all wore trousers, but I generally did not in those days…
I explained my lack of formal dress to our hosts and they broke into laughter…. “Oh, mais, Faye! Le cycle ‘delicat’ n’existe ni qu’une fantasie dans les auto-lavandes publique. Les machines sont completements chaudes, au-point d’etre bouillant.”
In essence, I had boiled my very fine stockings because the cycle selections were all over-ridden by a default setting.

€149,-
Then make sure you're within eye sight of the shared dryer. I don't want to touch our undies either. Dryer etiquette isn't difficult. When you first put things in you've got an easy 10 minutes to wander. Then you check and hang out close until dry.

Yes. Its a shared benefit. I always encountered more people than dryers especially because they are available for a limited number of hours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Future strategy: find a pilgrim or 2 more, and put your laundry together. It makes the cost negligible, cuts the waiting time… and you don’t have to worry about the waning sun and coming chill leaving you with damp clothes on a line.
In Atapuerca there was only one washer (no dryer-just line dry) and the line for the washer was long. It was getting late, there wouldn't be much time for drying clothes on the line. I could see the next-in-line pile of clothes was quite small so I approached the owner, a nice gentleman from Ireland, and asked asked how he felt about letting our "unmentionables" get washed together. I, of course, offered to pay. He kindly agreed. It was efficient and my clothes were mostly dry by morning. We later shared a glass of wine and a toast to clean clothes. Note: I would not have been offended if he had declined sharing the washer.

During our current camino just several days ago, my wife and I had to wash and dry our clothes in a public lavanderia in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The location was right across from an albergue (not sure if it was the municipal). There was a queue to use the washing machines and dryers. We think the ones at the albergue were not working. There were three washers and three dryers. We were amazed that two different people loaded the washers, started the cycle, then left. When the cycle was complete neither returned for quite some time to move their clothes out of the washing machine! One young person stood by the washer in despair since she clearly was anxious to wash her clothes. There was a plastic basin nearby, so she finally moved the clothes in the washer to the basin above the same machine. It was quite some time later before both came to retrieve their clothes. My wife and I both felt it was very rude to not check status and return before the cycle ended. The machine clearly shows how many minutes until the cycle ends. ☹️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually three pilgrim men showed up within a few minutes of typing the question and sorted things out. But I have been thoroughly entertained reading all the possibilities.👍🙏🤣🤣

It depends a bit on how long the clothes have been sitting in the dryer. I would after checking around to see if the owner is nearby.
I have both had my clothes removed by someone, and removed clothes of others from dryers.
Laundry facility courtesy goes both ways. Someone using shared washers and dryers should return to them promptly to remove their things.
Agreed, the courtesy should go both ways. Dryer users should keep an eye on and promptly remove their dried clothing. Those waiting to dry should try to find those whose things are in the dryer. But my thought is that if those who are occupying the dryer can’t promptly be found, then their things can be removed carefully and placed in another dry, clean spot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is why I stick around while my clothes are drying. I lost only one item of clothing on my trip: in the muni in Astorga I was assigned to a room with me and 50 or 60 new best friends, nearly all male. I set my clothes for post shower on my bed with my towel and shower bag but had to run back to desk where I realized I’d left something. Returning, my underwear (which was under my clothes on the bunk) was missing 😳
OMG! Creepy.

Personally I don’t like dryers😊
I’ve hardly ever used one (in my whole life)😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would also try to find the person - ask around, preferably to the hospitalero, so that you have witnesses! :) However, if more than 10 minutes have passed and/or they have left the premises, I think it is entirely reasonable to remove the clothes and put them in a careful pile on top of the machine.
I have certainly done this, folding them nicely, so that I could use the drier before sleeping.

The few times I’ve used a dryer, I’ve been extremely careful to be there when the machine finished. The one time I was not - I was at most a minute late - a guy had already hauled my not-yet-dry clothes out and dumped them on the machine. The other dryer was not in use, so perhaps he actually stole my time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OMG! Creepy.
There’s a potentially worse Molinaseca sequel to this but there’s a possibility the Molinaseca interaction was innocent so I’ll not share it but say after that I became very picky about sleeping arrangements 😳

A few years ago we were looking after a gite for friends in Eauze on the LePuy Way while they had a well earned week off. They had a kind tradition of offering to wash pilgrims socks, undies and t-shirts. Each pilgrim was given a mesh bag and they just had to bring it to the laundry by 5.30. The washed clothes would be hung in the laundry near the heaters and be dry later that night. Our friends said the only laundry rule was that only we should operate the (expensive commercial) machines, which we explained to the pilgrims.

One pilgrim whose luggage (a very large suitcase) had arrived in advance during the day said that she wanted to do her own laundry. We told her this was not possible but we’d be happy to do her socks, undies and t-shirt, or she could wash them by hand. Neither English nor French were her native language but she did speak English and i was sure she understood. She didn’t give me any washing so I went ahead and loaded up the others.

Some time later when I came down to check the laundry, I found the previous (now wet) load on the floor and another full load in the washer, an empty suitcase beside. It was a very large washing machine. She had emptied the entire contents of her suitcase in there including her sleeping bag 😱.

I won’t go into all that followed. Just to say, I wasn’t exactly filled with the Camino spirit in that moment.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A few years ago we were looking after a gite for friends in Eauze on the LePuy Way while they had a well earned week off. They had a kind tradition of offering to wash pilgrims socks, undies and t-shirts. Each pilgrim was given a mesh bag and they just had to bring it to the laundry by 5.30. The washed clothes would be hung in the laundry near the heaters and be dry later that night. Our friends said the only laundry rule was that only we should operate the (expensive commercial) machines, which we explained to the pilgrims.

One pilgrim whose luggage (a very large suitcase) had arrived in advance during the day said that she wanted to do her own laundry. We told her this was not possible but we’d be happy to do her socks, undies and t-shirt, or she could wash them by hand. Neither English nor French were her native language but she did speak English and i was sure she understood. She didn’t give me any washing so I went ahead and loaded up the others.

Some time later when I came down to check the laundry, I found the previous (now wet) load on the floor and another full load in the washer, an empty suitcase beside. It was a very large washing machine. She had emptied the entire contents of her suitcase in there including her sleeping bag 😱.

I won’t go into all that followed. Just to say, I wasn’t exactly filled with the Camino spirit in that moment.
Perhaps she had bed bugs but didn't want to say so.

That brings to mind a great line from a John Prine song, In Spite of Ourselves sung with Iris DeMent.
Ok, I assumed someone did it because they thought I’d then ask around about it and they could strike up a conversation…pilgrim version of pulling pigtales…

sparrow googles In Spite of Ourselves…😱

So thanks for that image now burned into my brain

One place that I stayed in would do a load of laundry for pilgrims for a flat rate per load, so naturally several of us pooled out dirty clothes together. After having had a sock go missing in a similar situation on a previous Camino I put my socks and underwear in a small mesh bag, with the intention that they would stay in the bag, and to facilitate sorting our clothes later. However the hospitalero emptied the mesh bag. Fortunately, no missing socks that time. Maybe I'll make a tag for the mesh bag saying Por favor, mantenga los calcetines y la ropa interior en la bolsa de malla.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One place that I stayed in would do a load of laundry for pilgrims for a flat rate per load, so naturally several of us pooled out dirty clothes together. After having had a sock go missing in a similar situation on a previous Camino I put my socks and underwear in a small mesh bag, with the intention that they would stay in the bag, and to facilitate sorting our clothes later. However the hospitalero emptied the mesh bag. Fortunately, no missing socks that time. Maybe I'll make a tag for the mesh bag saying Por favor, mantenga los calcetines y la ropa interior en la bolsa de malla.
I learned my laundry lesson after my otherwise wonderful hotel ironed my socks (melted) and sleeping bag (oh well didn’t keep me warm anyway). I would write all over the laundry slip not to iron anything

Ok, I assumed someone did it because they thought I’d then ask around about it and they could strike up a conversation…pilgrim version of pulling pigtales…

sparrow googles In Spite of Ourselves…😱

So thanks for that image now burned into my brain

Yup … that’s going to be a lasting one, isn’t it? 😄

No such thing as a dryer when we walked … though I think I did see one washing machine, which was out of order of course 😉

Not on a Camino but a cautionary tale about washing machines with instructions in languages you are not conversant in. On our further travels post Camino we put all our washing in what we thought was a washing machine in an AirBNB in Rome and went out for the day. Returned to discover that the machine was actually a combined washing machine and dryer! And of course the temperature was set very high for both o_O Needless to say ever woolen item was now child size, a red T-shirt had turned every white item pink and my prized water proof Sealskin socks which had kept my feet dry through some very wet weather on the CF now sounded like crinkly bubble rap. We now look very carefully and with a hint of suspicion at machines with non-English instructions 🤣

€60,-
Do it. They should know better than to just leave their clothes unattended in a public dryer at an albergue. Maybe At the most for the first fifteen minutes or so of the cycle, but beyond that stand by the dryer and remove as soon as it is done.
Walking the Camino revealed to me that there are a lot of people in the world that had never experienced communal living of any kind before in their lives.

Quite right too, Jenny. I am having to breathe very deliberately right this minute to save myself from exploding. Remind me of when I was teaching in a primary school. the children knew the rules. No running on the corridors. Except if you think nobody is around!

€149,-
As was done for me when I arrived five minutes after the dryer was finished. The queue in the local tienda was longer than expected... :)
Happened to me, too.

Had that issue in Cacabelos just over a week ago. Only one lavadora, and the cycle is finished, with the clothes still inside.

So, I emptied the contents into a laundry basket and washed my clothes.

At the end of my wash cycle I put mine in the dryer and ran the cycle.

By the time I was done, the original clothes were still in the laundry basket.

Some people simply forget, so have no issues moving things on. Also, I have no issues if I forgot and someone put my laundry in the basket.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, but that is a separate question - and our answers might be different. I don't think I want other people folding my underwear
without a doubt would remove them!!! and would neatly place them on top! No doubt about it. I wouldn’t spend a nano second looking for the person… just being honest….

Last edited:
Oh, and did I mention that all I was wearing was my poncho…. I was doing laundry and wanted to do it ALL!! The idea of traipsing around the common areas looking for the owners of the clothing in the dryer just did not appeal to me. So be warned if you ever see someone in the laundry room with just a poncho on hope that a big wind does not show up…..😜😜

Whenever I've used a washer and/or dryer in an albergue, I've asked around to see if anyone wants to put their load in too, and share the cost. Usually I just have a few pieces (that day's walking clothes) and I carry a lightweight mesh bag to keep my laundry separate from others'.

Yes!

Do it. They should know better than to just leave their clothes unattended in a public dryer at an albergue. Maybe At the most for the first fifteen minutes or so of the cycle, but beyond that stand by the dryer and remove as soon as it is done.
Walking the Camino revealed to me that there are a lot of people in the world that had never experienced communal living of any kind before in their lives.
That's a good point about some never having experienced communal living, or even maybe a largish family. Still --- maybe it's a good idea to do your best to learn about new experiences; ask questions; etcetcetc

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back