• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothes lines

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Hello everyone 😊

I am doing an early April Camino 2020 and was wondering, for those who have walked the Frances before, if you felt the albergues who had clothes lines had enough space for your clothes. Debating on whether I should bring a nylon makeshift clothes line. Thanks to all who ho respond. 😀

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've always taken one, it's three metres of thin cord, weighs nothing. You'll need to take nappy pins anyway, to pin the clothes to any line (pegs have s habit of disappearing and pins are far better) and if you have a hotel room one night it's easier to hang up your clothes to dry overnight: hotels rarely have washing lines.
Don't bother with clothes washing powder though, just chuck the clothes on the shower floor when having a shower. I don't take towels now: I dry myself on the sweaty shirt I've worn that day. That is then washed and hung up to dry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've always taken one, it's three metres of thin cord, weighs nothing. You'll need to take nappy pins anyway, to pin the clothes to any line (pegs have s habit of disappearing and pins are far better) and if you have a hotel room one night it's easier to hang up your clothes to dry overnight: hotels rarely have washing lines.
Don't bother with clothes washing powder though, just chuck the clothes on the shower floor when having a shower. I don't take towels now: I dry myself on the sweaty shirt I've worn that day. That is then washed and hung up to dry.
Not sure I could dry myself with my sweaty shirt worn that day 😳 but I like the idea of soaking clothes during shower.

I walk in the winter so always take a clothes line with me. I string it up around my bunk and hang my clothes all around me so while they are drying they also give me a little privacy too. It's a Sea2Summit and is a double line with cinch beads so clothes pens/pins are not needed and it weighs 1oz so well worth it for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am another who carries their own clothes line as a supplement to whatever is provided. The pegs and pins are also useful especially for attaching to your backpack if those socks did not dry overnight.
As for a towel - sorry to disagree with @mmmmartin , a clean, dry lightweight towel is, imho, essential.

Hello everyone 😊

I am doing an early April Camino 2020 and was wondering, for those who have walked the Frances before, if you felt the albergues who had clothes lines had enough space for your clothes. Debating on whether I should bring a nylon makeshift clothes line. Thanks to all who ho respond. 😀
We carried Paracord but never had to use it. The only clothesline issue we ran into was at an albergue; it had a courtyard with plenty of lines being put to good use. The problem was that the hosts locked the door to the courtyard at curfew. We had to exit a different way in the morning and none of us could retrieve our belongings. Thankfully we only lost our washcloth/shampoo bar carrier, but others weren't as lucky.

If I'm fortunate enough to walk another Camino, I will still carry a length of Paracord (and double check every albergue's policy on doors and access)!

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry one of those clothes lines that is two cords twisted together. Always ready and never need pegs or pins.
As for washing my clothes in a potentially dirty shower tray or drying myself with the days sweaty shirt......no thank you.

Hello everyone 😊

We like to use something sold by “nite ize”. It has two cam jam attachment points and a thin cord that can be adjusted to any length. It tightens well and hold wet clothes. Easy to attach to trees, beds, hotel room balconies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone 😊

Some have clothes lines, but most do not. If you choose not to use the dryer (1 Euro) bring some paracord and ask if you can make your own clothes line. I also suggest that you bring diaper pins to hold the clothes on the line because the winds can be quite strong. Keep in mind that you may have a lot of rain during April or almost none at all.

I walk in the winter so always take a clothes line with me. I string it up around my bunk and hang my clothes all around me so while they are drying they also give me a little privacy too. It's a Sea2Summit and is a double line with cinch beads so clothes pens/pins are not needed and it weighs 1oz so well worth it for me.
I am an ultralight packer but I take the sea to summit cord also. I mainly use it when stayed in private rooms but have wrapped around my bunk too when I have take my clothes inside when not dry. Definitely bring clothes pins and mark them with your name so you can reclaim them when they are borrowed accidentally. Safety pins work too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

been doin most of this for years except the sweaty shirt bit! Aaaaaggh! Yuck! I carry spare bootlaces for makin sneaky lines in hotel rooms! Seen one post years ago where poster used their walking pole to fill space in window, Ingenious! After all they are extendable and collapsible. Make sure you take down your undies before opening window tho otherwise you will have the humiliation of them disappearing on the wings of the gale which has been waiting for this to happen! I kid you not as this has caused much merriment to the hotel staff I was trying to outwit!:)

The Malingerer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First time we used safety / diaper pins to attach our wet clothes to the line. Problem was that with strong winds, the pins made holes in some of our quick wicking shirts. For our last two caminos, we use small plastic clips and dry our clothes on the albergue lines (usually there are plenty). For the few times it was raining, we have the stretch elastic line and dry our clothes inside. Bob

I walked with a woman who dried herself off with her sweaty clothes. She always complained her clothes never smelled clean. I wonder if putting bacteria laden sweat on a clean body contributed to that 😱. It might not have been the clothes that smelled funky. But on the other hand she was quite the sweater, so if it works for you go for it.

If you do bring your own line, make a habit of leaving an item on it so long as it is strung up. With no item on it, the chances of leaving it behind go up.

I bring eight feet or so of light twine string. Takes no space and is adaptable to whatever configuration I need.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone 😊

Like Annie, I carry a braided cord that has velcro loops on the ends. When I am fortunate enough to get a lower bunk and it happens to be raining, will hang it on the wires/slats from the upper bunk for underwear and socks that need to hang overnight to dry. It's light enough to carry, whether I use it or not. Ultreia! elle

If you do bring your own line, make a habit of leaving an item on it so long as it is strung up. With no item on it, the chances of leaving it behind go up.

I bring eight feet or so of light twine string. Takes no space and is adaptable to whatever configuration I need.
You just make a loop knot to tie it?

You just make a loop knot to tie it?
I wrap it around whatever is there and make some kind of loop knot. The kind where I can pull on the loose end and it unties, but the weight of clothes on the other side doesn’t untie it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have brought one but rarely used it. I was recently given a light and colourful braided elastic clothesline by a fellow pilgrim that apparently doesn't need pins or pegs and will probably bring that with me on my next Camino instead.

Hello everyone 😊

i was on camino May 2019, and i used it once, and really didn't need it.

Hello everyone 😊

Take clothes pins

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone 😊

I took a 10 foot clothes line and safety pins and used it whenever line space was not available. In addition to the alburges outdoor line, I used my line primarily for indoors, stretching the line from one end of my bunk to the other. This was particularly handy in inclimate weather. Do it, it takes virtually no space or weight.

For those that like the "pegless" clothes lines, you can make your own from rubber bands.

One spare long shoe lace, two plastic clothes pegs, two safety pins, one small carabiner. All multi-functional. They don’t weigh much. I probably needed a clothesline once or twice a week, but in hotels or Chambres d’hôtes/Casas Rurales.
John

Why debate something that weighs nothing and takes up no room, chuck it in your bag or pocket and forget about until needed. Even if you don't take it, it's easy to buy on route if needed, it's just a piece of string. I can't believe some actually weigh theirs.

Yup, I have the same, weighs next to nothing and it has come in handy many times 🙂
But to be fair, it is not strictly necessary for the Camino francés (I don’t think).

I use paracord for bootlaces. Tie spare ones together and use them for a clothes line. Tying the line around your bunk is also useful if you want to use a towel to kill the light from exit lamps.

I used this too, outdoors or in. At times when I had only 2 or 3 items, and i had a lower bunk, I strung it up beneath the upper bunk mattress. Yes, to diaper pins - many uses.

I walked the CF in April so the albergurs were not very busy, plenty of space on the line so clothes stayed damp. If they were still damp after dark I would attach them to the outside of my pack overnight and the next day, if they were still damp upon arrival at the alberhue I would just put them on damp after my shower they dry soon enough. Clothes line and pegs/ pins are just another thing to lose.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always carry a twisted stretchy clothes line that has a hook on each end so you can attach it to something or attach it to itself if no window latches, wall hooks or whatever are not available. No need for pegs but I do take safety pins for drying socks on back pack. Cheers

Hello everyone 😊

I never bother and have never needed one.

For those that like the "pegless" clothes lines, you can make your own from rubber bands.

That's effectively the one I was gifted with, except that colourful rubber bands were used.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carried a piece of Bungie rope for that purpose and used it as a clothesline on the Frances (rainy day). On the Le Puy, I found multiple uses too. On a windy day, I used it as a belt to wrap my poncho around my waist. I also used it to hold up a makeshift shelter on another rainy day. I think it's a good thing to have for an emergency.
Also, I am a fan of safety pins to be used as clothespins. They don't disappear as often, take less room and weigh less than the wooden clothespins and also have multiple uses like hanging wet socks or other light things from your backpack. Buen Camino!

Hello everyone 😊

Wait until you experience a clothes spinner. A few alburgues have them. Amazing!

Hello everyone 😊

No need to take clothes line

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aways good, it always varies - some places have tons of drying space/racks/lines, some barely any room for them. I take a couple of those elastic hook binder things, you dsee them on roof racks and things like that (just don't leave them behind at the Alberque).

I have a medium size dry sack which I fill with soapy water and dirty clothes. A few squishes in the shower and then rinse.

I have a medium size dry sack which I fill with soapy water and dirty clothes. A few squishes in the shower and then rinse.
That's pretty much what I do. I let my clothes soak while I shower, dry off and dress. Then I shake the bag around a bit more before rinsing in the laundry sink. I think that the long soaking time really helps get the clothes cleaner with less effort.

€46,-
“I string it up around my bunk and hang my clothes all around me so while they are drying they also give me a little privacy too. “
I agree: always use line to organize, hang drying clothes & lend a bit of privacy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I usually have a clothes line. I have one from one of those £ or $ etc shops - very lightweight and doesn't need pegs either as you twist the clothes into the line, if that makes sense! I recall using it quite a bit on the Frances route, particularly as I usually end up being one of the last people to do their laundry!

I would take one! We did our Camino in August, September and October, not only did we wash a lot of clothes, but we got rained on frequently! I brought a thin paracord about 12 feet long (4mtrs) and some small wood cloathes pins. We found at times that some hostels were packed, and everyone was hanging clothes. We even used our line inside a pensione, in our room, from the door hinge to the dresser! It worked just great. Having the cord is always helpful, because it has many uses, broken shoe strings, broken equipment fix, etc. I would definitely take one, paracord is not heavy if you get a small mm gauge. Hope it helps! BUEN CAMINO

I would take one! We did our Camino in August, September and October, not only did we wash a lot of clothes, but we got rained on frequently! I brought a thin paracord about 12 feet long (4mtrs) and some small wood cloathes pins. We found at times that some hostels were packed, and everyone was hanging clothes. We even used our line inside a pensione, in our room, from the door hinge to the dresser! It worked just great. Having the cord is always helpful, because it has many uses, broken shoe strings, broken equipment fix, etc. I would definitely take one, paracord is not heavy if you get a small mm gauge. Hope it helps! BUEN CAMINO
I decided NOT to take my line in 2019. That was a mistake. I stayed in private lodging and was hanging clothes off ceiling fans or anything I could find in the room! Next time.. the line goes with me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carried some paracord - used it a few times. I also brought about a dozen large diaper pins to use as clothes pins.

I did bring a expandable clothes line with fixed clips and used it regularly to dry my clothes. It was 96gr. and worth every effort to carry it.

BC
Roland

Last edited:
@mmmmartin .....I have seen some moldy shower floors on the CF. No way would I wash my clothes on those floors... anymore than I would go barefooted when taking a shower on one of them😱😱😱.

Last edited:

€46,-
I walked with a woman who dried herself off with her sweaty clothes. She always complained her clothes never smelled clean. I wonder if putting bacteria laden sweat on a clean body contributed to that 😱. It might not have been the clothes that smelled funky. But on the other hand she was quite the sweater, so if it works for you go for it.
I like to refer to that odor as “eau de pilgrim”. Many times the clothesline is not far from a garden or field containing some manure. 😁

Last edited:
We brought along safety / diaper pins to hang our clothing on the albergue's lines for our first camino. However, most of our shirts were made of thin and light 100% merino wool. A few times with the clothes flapping in the wind, the small pin holes from the safety pins became larger. Our last few times on the camino, we brought plastic clips. Quite light and these did not cause any damage to our clothes. Bob

€83,-
We brought along safety / diaper pins to hang our clothing on the albergue's lines for our first camino. However, most of our shirts were made of thin and light 100% merino wool. A few times with the clothes flapping in the wind, the small pin holes from the safety pins became larger. Our last few times on the camino, we brought plastic clips. Quite light and these did not cause any damage to our clothes. Bob
Small holes from pins is one thing. How about your children want to help do laundry and they walk into the den and say "Hi dad, your large knit wool fisherman's sweater is in the washer. It sure took up a lot of room."
My son, then twelve, just inherited a nice sweater...just his size.!

These are meant for crafting (instead of pinning cloth for sewing etc) and are surprisingly tenacious

1614198116131.png

only about 2,5cm long so eminently nickable!

Let's not forget the humble hiking pole extended and either jammed across the window recess or resting on top of the inward opening windows - thread the pole through the arms of a tee-shirt: no need for pins!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.