• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

clothes pins/clothes line

marniedent

Time of past OR future Camino
I've noticed some people suggest taking a bit of string and clothes pins. It seems like wasted weight to me, but perhaps there's a need. With a week left before I leave, I'm looking at each gram now. Any thoughts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we went camping when I was a child, my mother used to make a clothes line by twisting a length of string until it would twist up on itself (thus becoming less than half its length). She then didn't need clothespegs/pins because she could push up a couple of corners of the wet socks/pants/teatowel etc into the twists which would hold it tight because of the twist. So only the weight of the string. Which might be useful in other circumstances - like tying something on to your pack, or leading a stray donkey to safety?? :roll:

You could experiment, because I can't think whether the original string needs to be double - I think not. I use the same technique with wool to make strings to thread through baby bootees - you either need a hook for the other end or a patient assistant to hold it firm while you twist. When you think you've twisted enough if you put a finger about half way and begin to allow it to twist on itself, you'll soon see if you've twisted enough!

Bridget

Don't bother taking lines or pegs, all albergues have plenty of washing lines and, while pegs/pins might be at a premium, it's easy enough to drape clothes over the lines.

Having said that, I've noticed some pilgrims do take the portable stretchy lines to attach to their bunk and then drape towels or clothes over for a bit of privacy.

Trudy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took a nylon line that had no weight to it at all. The plastic pins weighed almost nothing as well. I used it most days, since it rained frequently and putting any clothes outside on their lines was of no use. I tied them from doorknobs to bed frames and found other places to do so as well. Other pilgrims used my line as well since they had nothing to hang their clothes from. Using pins allows the clothes to hang and dry better than when doubled over it. I highly recommend it-
Lillian

You probably won't need a line but a few feet of string will weigh nothing, and could come in handy.

As to pins, we took large safety pins, and used them on the lines and to attach not quite dry clothes to our packs as we walked the next day. Many other uses too, and they don't weigh anything either.

I tried to have multiple uses for everything...

Jerry

marniedent said:
clothes pins

I recommend carrying clothspins - I used mine at almost every stop. As other posters have said, they can be hard to come by at the albergues. Plastic clothspins are lighter than the wooden ones. You can get them at supermercados along the Way.

Safety pins are good as well, for repairs and for pinning clothes to your pack during the next day's walk in case they don't dry overnight due to rain or dampness.

As for a line...well, they are usually somewhat plentiful at albergues, at least during the early part of the day. But a line might come in handy here and there. An extra set of bootlaces can be used for this purpose... :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We wrapped string, rubber bands and duct tape round our walking sticks and they all came in very handy - especially the tape - we actually had to buy some more.

6 large nappy safety pins were invaluable for me - no risk of washing flying away from either lines or the outside of my backpack

i took an elastic twisted clothes line and only used it a couple of times

another trick if you score a bottom bunk is to hang your, not quite dry, socks and undies from the slats/wire frame on the bunk above - just push the ends of your socks etc between the gap - was great when i didn't want to leave my washing out overnight and risk rain, theft or forgetting about it

Forget the clothes pegs: safety pins are so useful they are a like a currency on the camino. Exchange rate 10 to the Compeed...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A clothes line is nearly essential. Albergues are so crowded that often there is no clothes line or drying rack space available. An elastic, twisted clothes line is available for under $5 from AAA or eBay. It eliminates the need for clothes pins, and has hooks on each end for fastening it to the springs of a bunk or handles of a window. Some models come with suction cups, which did not work particularly well.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.