Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Clothes shopping in Santiago de Compostela

Past OR future Camino
(2009) St Jean to Castrojeriz having to abandon with stress fracture.
This may seem like a strange question with an obvious answer, but what are the clothes shopping choices in Santiago de Compostela?

On my previous trip I could not find shoes that fit me (in Estrella and Santander) and eventually flew to London to get them. as a 6'4" bloke with broad shoulders I struggle to find fashionable clothes that fit me here in Sydney, and given my previous experience in Spain, I figure I may struggle there

I'm walking the Camino Frances literally with only trail clothes as my plan initially was to fly to London and go clothes shopping, but my plans may change and my flight may be early the next morning to Berlin which would give me time to go shopping.

Please put my mind at rest and assure me that there are ample clothes shopping available for tall guys with big feet? My waistline for jeans will be a 36 at the end of the trip.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
An alternative to buying new clothes would be to pack a couple of changes of clothes plus your shoes and post them all to Ivar in Santiago before you start your camino. Then you're sure that you'll have the right gear post-camino and you'll save money too. Click on Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela at the top of this page.
Cheers and Buen Camino!

Past OR future Camino
An alternative to buying new clothes would be to pack a couple of changes of clothes plus your shoes and post them all to Ivar in Santiago before you start your camino. Then you're sure that you'll have the right gear post-camino and you'll save money too. Click on Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela at the top of this page.
Cheers and Buen Camino!

Thanks Jenny. the clothes shopping is actually a planned thing as I want to re-do my entire wardrobe (long overdue), so I'm happy to spend the cash on new threads. :) But you're right, I could buy some new clothes here in sydney a size or two smaller and get some sent to Ivar so they'll be waiting for me. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good plan

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Thanks Jenny. the clothes shopping is actually a planned thing as I want to re-do my entire wardrobe (long overdue), so I'm happy to spend the cash on new threads. :) But you're right, I could buy some new clothes here in sydney a size or two smaller and get some sent to Ivar so they'll be waiting for me. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good plan
Cheers! Other Forum members hopefully will make some suggestions on where to pick up some new threads in Santiago so you have some alternatives if you do decide to shop there. El Corte Ingles - the major department store chain in Spain - has a branch in Santiago. It's located at Rúa do Restollal, 50, 15702 Santiago de Compostela. I strolled over to the department store one morning when I was staying in Santiago a couple of years back and it was quite a good department store - I did do some damage there but the shopping was all hiking gear on sale for future caminos! :) It's about a half hour stroll from the Cathedral. Happy shopping!

Past OR future Camino
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Height should not be a problem, but Europeans tend to have smaller feet than North Americans or Australians (there is actually a military history article on this explaining how foot size was the background of the first independent Australian military equipment purchase) but there are excellent shoes to be had in Santiago, if you can find the size. El Corte Inglese has excellent quality and you can always, when complimented on the cut of your jacket, just mention casually that you picked it up at this little place in Santiago.....

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
But you're right, I could buy some new clothes here in sydney a size or two smaller and get some sent to Ivar so they'll be waiting for me. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good plan
Just don't post it from outside the Schengen zone or it may get stuck in customs.

Felipe

Veteran Member
I am a bit confused about your schedule, but if you stop at some time in Berlin, well, this is a shopping paradise for all kind of budgets and needs, from extravagant to practical. Ah, the clerks usually speak fluid English.
Regarding outdoor clothes and shoes, I liked Jack Wolfskin stores (very good boots!). And size should not be a problem.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I am a bit confused about your schedule, but if you stop at some time in Berlin, well, this is a shopping paradise for all kind of budgets and needs, from extravagant to practical. Ah, the clerks usually speak fluid English.
Regarding outdoor clothes and shoes, I liked Jack Wolfskin stores (very good boots!). And size should not be a problem.
I am a woman, but have issues with finding large enough shoes. When I was in Germany last year I found my size wasn't that unusual.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
I am a bit confused about your schedule, but if you stop at some time in Berlin, well, this is a shopping paradise for all kind of budgets and needs, from extravagant to practical

It's more that i wouldn't feel comfortable landing in erlin, and making my way to the shops in what essentially would be trekking gear. London i've been to many times and know exactly where i'm going so my comfort level there is fine.

In berlin or london, i have only 2 days before flying back home with a stopover in Asia so would also like to maximise those two days in Berlin seeing the city and history rather than a shoppng centre. London i've done the sights and would happily shop all day

Felipe

Veteran Member
It's more that i wouldn't feel comfortable landing in erlin, and making my way to the shops in what essentially would be trekking gear. London i've been to many times and know exactly where i'm going so my comfort level there is fine.

OK...I will only add that in Berlin, "normal" clothes and attires go from the "reasonable" to the extravagant and outlandish. Nobody cares. It is a lively, fascinant, tolerant city.
Buen camino (and good shopping).

PaulJ

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portuguese 2016
Le Puy - Pamplona 2017
Norte/Primativo 2018
This may seem like a strange question with an obvious answer, but what are the clothes shopping choices in Santiago de Compostela?

On my previous trip I could not find shoes that fit me (in Estrella and Santander) and eventually flew to London to get them. as a 6'4" bloke with broad shoulders I struggle to find fashionable clothes that fit me here in Sydney, and given my previous experience in Spain, I figure I may struggle there

I'm walking the Camino Frances literally with only trail clothes as my plan initially was to fly to London and go clothes shopping, but my plans may change and my flight may be early the next morning to Berlin which would give me time to go shopping.

Please put my mind at rest and assure me that there are ample clothes shopping available for tall guys with big feet? My waistline for jeans will be a 36 at the end of the trip.

PaulJ

Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portuguese 2016
Le Puy - Pamplona 2017
Norte/Primativo 2018
Zara. Women's is right by the bus stop to the airport. Men's is down the street. I bought new jeans and shirt at the end of Camino Frances in Oct; after losing 20 lbs from St. Jean! It was nice not to be in 'camino clothes' for a change!!

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Pi Wakawaka

Past OR future Camino
Plans are set April 2016 Camino Frances

Good post!! I also might look strange travelling around the wirld in ragged hiking gear hahaha

Chacharm

Past OR future Camino
Via Frances (2012) Vie Del Norte (2015) Via Frances (2016) Le Puy (2017)
There are lots of cute shops for women - but I don't have any idea about men. I think your best bet will be Berlin, too. Remember that your feet will be a bit longer just after the Camino!

susanawee

susanawee
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
I have a JackWolfskin parka/anorak which I bought in Augsberg a few years ago now.....still going strong and much loved....fondly called 'woolfie'.

mylifeonvacation

Past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (from Ferrol June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (from Tui May 2015)
In my experience finding any kind of shoe in Northern spain in a Euro 48 is next to impossible

The El Corte Ingles does have a tall man's section with shoes up to 48, according to a 7 foot tall former pro basketball player who lives in Coruna (kind of a long story how I happened into this conversation, but it happened on Twitter :p - oh, social media!). He reports they have clothes & shoes that fit him, so there's a glimmer of hope there. The thing is he lives in Coruna and that store appears to be larger than the one in Compostela, but hopefully you can find what you need. A whole new wardrobe sounds like fun!

Additional note: El Corte Ingles in Coruna is just a couple of blocks from the bus station; a 1 hour bus ride from Santiago de Compostela. ;)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads