• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothes to bring for ‘norte’ Camino late April .

Lynnhardy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone, I wanted some advice on clothing for the north Camino starting 26th April please? Do I need coat, long sleeved tops? Or is it warm enough to go more to the shorts/t shirt side of things with one long sleeved….any advice would be amazing……. Thankyou Lynn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be in the mountains, and it gets chilly. I've done Camino del Norte twice in May and it was never hot, so I would say no to shorts, but convertible pants would be a better option because then you have both:) You could also consider to additionally bring a skort because you will have warm days.
Lightweight synthetic/down jacket is a must and it won't take much room in your pack (I love my Mont-bell Superior Down Parka at 7.7 oz (217 g). Definitely bring a long sleeved top - preferably a lightweight wool, and have a short sleeve one too, in a lightweight wool. I'm partial to wool because of all its marvelous qualities - especially not retaining odor, and I can attest to that from years of experience:) Also, of course a rain jacket and if you can, take a lightweight windbreaker, it comes in very handy:) If there is anything you want to ask me, please PM me. Just hover over my picture and click on my name.

Otherwise, there are so many generous, knowledgeable and experienced members that are always willing to help. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you deem necessary to get to the point where you feel comfortable in your preparations for your camino.

Buen Camino!

You will absolutely need a fleece and a rain jacket. The Norte is warmer than the other routes, but its also rainier. The wind off the ocean can get quite intense at times as well. Over a spring month, you will see plenty of days where shorts and a t-shirt won't do it......and some when it will. It will also cool down quite a bit in the evenings.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will absolutely need a fleece and a rain jacket.

True, a fleece could prove essential. I myself, never have one, simply because for me just the lightweight jacket is enough. If it's extremely windy and cool/cold I put the windbreaker over my jacket. If it's rainy and cold, I'll wear my long sleeve lightweight top with my rain jacket. Anyway, I just combine what I bring with me and it does the trick;)

True, a fleece could prove essential. I myself, never have one, simply because for me just the lightweight jacket is enough. If it's extremely windy and cool/cold I put the windbreaker over my jacket. If it's rainy and cold, I'll wear my long sleeve lightweight top with my rain jacket. Anyway, I just combine what I bring with me and it does the trick;)
Yes I need to think as the usual thing is to keep weight as light as possible without being cold. I don’t know why I was thinking all sunshine and warm! I think I was thinking of another area in Spain… !

Yes I need to think as the usual thing is to keep weight as light as possible without being cold. I don’t know why I was thinking all sunshine and warm! I think I was thinking of another area in Spain… !
Yes! Weight is extremely important because it's what can make your long distance walking enjoyable or miserable depending on what you carry! My pack weighs 13 lbs (5.89 kg.) tops, which makes me a happy Peregrina;)
You must've been thinking about the sunny warm southern part of the peninsula - like the Mediterranean. Now, I want to go there and get away from the cold! 😁

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just remember that 2 lightweight layers are more versatile than 1 medium/heavy weight, and that you can always layer on all your clothes at once, if the weather is unusually cold. So, on a cold day, your backpack will be almost empty. Keep one layer dry for the evening - maybe with a puffy down vest or jacket.

I walked the Del Norte up to the Primitivo then took that route in late April. I can't remember exactly where, but on one of the hundreds of mountains, I (we, because I walked with 3 others) was caught in a snow blizzard with winds of 110 kilometers per hour. The storm only lasted 3 hours but we were ready for that with down jackets and ponchos. The ponchos keep the weather off your pack. Knee high merino wool socks, merino long sleeve tee-shirt, synthetic shirt and trousers would be wise. Get the lightest down jacket you can afford since you'll be carrying it more than wearing it, but make sure you have one. Happy trails to you.

Count on rain, even in the summer months.
(Summer 2018. I walked it in 42 days and had rain for 14 of them)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lynn, I will start on 21st April from Irun so I will be just a few days ahead of you. Where will you start from?
Good to read the advise on clothing, I was doubting to bring my lightweight down jacket but reading all the comments I will bring it for sure. My last Camino was the Portugese in September 2020 and it was very hot so this will be a completely different experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.