• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothesline and pins

DACamino

Time of past OR future Camino
09/08/18
Friends of Camino: Do we need to carry clothespins and a travel clothesline? Or are there plenty of places to hang clothes after washing. I'm running out of space in my backpack!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Safety pins are smaller and less likely to be stolen. I always carry a small amount of nylon string.

Hi Don...can I press you for some info as you’re from Biarritz. I’m flying into Paris the morning of Sept 5th then catching an evening flight from CDG to Biarritz (arriving 8:55pm). Is there easy transportation from the airport to surrounding areas ...I’ll need a couple of days to just chill and sleep before setting out on my 1st Camino (from SJPP). Where in your opinion is it best (cheapest, convenient, central, access to train etc) to stay in order to move on about the 7th. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks Linda

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Don...can I press you for some info as you’re from Biarritz. I’m flying into Paris the morning of Sept 5th then catching an evening flight from CDG to Biarritz (arriving 8:55pm). Is there easy transportation from the airport to surrounding areas ...I’ll need a couple of days to just chill and sleep before setting out on my 1st Camino (from SJPP). Where in your opinion is it best (cheapest, convenient, central, access to train etc) to stay in order to move on about the 7th. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks Linda
Getting around on public transport in Biarritz and Bayonne is easy and only 1 euro. There are local buses (Chronoplus) from the airport which you can access routes and timetable for on line. The problem for you will be that Biarritz is still into its summer tourist season. I have often recommended la Petite Hotel, stayed there myself as well, it is close to the beach and right in the center of town. There are less expensive hotels near the train station in Bayonne, Ibis and Cote Basque are fine, even though the area is a little sketchy. You could chill while walking around Bayonne, it has a fascinating history, great cathedral and history/culture museum. The bus to Biarritz takes 15/20 minutes and there you have the beaches and the marche area with all of its restaurants and bars.

Friends of Camino: Do we need to carry clothespins and a travel clothesline? Or are there plenty of places to hang clothes after washing. I'm running out of space in my backpack!
No real need for a clothes line if you only stay in albergues. I carry a tiny one that weighs very little. A few safety pins are useful, too, rather than clothes pegs.

Getting around on public transport in Biarritz and Bayonne is easy and only 1 euro. There are local buses (Chronoplus) from the airport which you can access routes and timetable for on line. The problem for you will be that Biarritz is still into its summer tourist season. I have often recommended la Petite Hotel, stayed there myself as well, it is close to the beach and right in the center of town. There are less expensive hotels near the train station in Bayonne, Ibis and Cote Basque are fine, even though the area is a little sketchy. You could chill while walking around Bayonne, it has a fascinating history, great cathedral and history/culture museum. The bus to Biarritz takes 15/20 minutes and there you have the beaches and the marche area with all of its restaurants and bars.

Awesome...thanks for that info...I’ll pull them up and have a look. Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I brought a stretchy clothesline that was double strand woven together, so theoretically one would be able to hang clothes without pins. Haha. It kept getting so tangled up that I threw it away, because I was ready to hang myself with it. A tip for freeing up the line at the albergue is to consolidate others' pieces that are already dry, especially the travel towels that some people stretch out and hog the line with.

I brought a stretchy clothesline that was double strand woven together, so theoretically one would be able to hang clothes without pins. Haha. It kept getting so tangled up that I threw it away, because I was ready to hang myself with it. A tip for freeing up the line at the albergue is to consolidate others' pieces that are already dry, especially the travel towels that some people stretch out and hog the line with.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending that pilgrims touch/move/consolidate the property of others. It's true that some are very inconsiderate and take up more than their share of line, but I don't think it gives anyone permission to touch anyone else's property. I went out to a line to find a man handling my panties and bras because he wanted to put all of his sopping wet things together on the line. Mine were not close to dry. I found it rude and invasive. ( had he arrived sooner, done his laundry immediately and claimed some line instead of heading to the bar first there would have not been an issue )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good suggestion, not to touch others' personal clothing items. However, when I see quick-dry towels stretched out horizontally on the line, I don't have a problem with removing one pin so that the towels hang by one instead of two.

The other thing I would suggest is to write names on your things with permanent marker, so others can at least try to find you and ask you to rearrange the laundry (?) All my things are marked.

Try to have at least a bunk length piece of cord or long shoelaces with you. If it rains endlessly, you will be able to string a little line inside your bunk to dry a bit overnight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use spare boot laces tied together to make a clothes line which can also be tied around a bunk if there is nowhere else indoors. The laces are made from parachute cord and are very strong. I started by using safety pins instead of clothes pegs but now have switched to nappy pins where the coloured plastic safety ends stand out better. If you cannot get a horizontal line or if the wind is high you can put the pins through your clothes then through the line to stop them slipping and bunching up.

I never used the clothesline that I brought, but I'll keep on bringing it. I used both clothespegs and pins. Clothespegs for my merino wool shirts on my second trip (because I found out that pins put holes in your $70 merino wool shirts and those holes grow) and pins for the windy days and for objects that looked like everyone else's (because I really don't want to mistakenly take someone else's undies). Mark your clothespegs so you know which ones to take off the line. There aren't always enough at albergues either.

I have used my clothes line and safety pins (brass) many times.

Few times the clothes lines at the albergue was taken up. So strung my own.

I have also used the line inside private places when had my own bath or balcony.

The line comes in handy for emergency shoe laces, tying something, fixing pack etc.

I would not go without it.

If your pack is too full to even fit a small clothes line and a few pins, perhaps you need to take another look at what you are packing and how you are packing it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few sections, maybe 3' long each, of 200# test fishing line with a small loop at the end of each section and a small bungee cord will make for a great clothes line. Sections can be looped together and then pulled tight with the cord. If you run the line and/or cord through the sleeves, legs, whatever, that you are drying, you can dry them at your bunk without the need for pins of any kind.

I had about 2m of shock cord from an old tent pole for a clothes line. It was
springy, weighed only a couple grams and took up little space. I also had an assortment of safety pins, but I used the large size, diaper pins, for hanging clothes. They secured the clothes on the line and maybe gave someone pause who may have been removing my clothes by accident.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't like the way my clothes slide down the clothesline when I use the safety pins. I do bring a few for pinning things to my pack, but for hanging clothes on the line I use these tiny clothespins used for crafts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014230G5Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
Since everything I bring is very lightweight these do the job when there aren't any regular sized clothes pins available at the albergue.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending that pilgrims touch/move/consolidate the property of others. It's true that some are very inconsiderate and take up more than their share of line, but I don't think it gives anyone permission to touch anyone else's property. I went out to a line to find a man handling my panties and bras because he wanted to put all of his sopping wet things together on the line. Mine were not close to dry. I found it rude and invasive. ( had he arrived sooner, done his laundry immediately and claimed some line instead of heading to the bar first there would have not been an issue )
I, on the other hand, brought in the clothes for half a dozen pilgrims because it started to pour with rain and was considered a gentleman (I kept my eyes closed while "handling" the bras and knickers).

A few sections, maybe 3' long each, of 200# test fishing line with a small loop at the end of each section and a small bungee cord will make for a great clothes line. Sections can be looped together and then pulled tight with the cord. If you run the line and/or cord through the sleeves, legs, whatever, that you are drying, you can dry them at your bunk without the need for pins of any kind.
You are Macgyver and I claim my $10!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bring clothes pins. I have 12 and that is the perfect number and they are super light. I have plenty of places to hang stuff from my backpack so I don't need safety pins. It also depends on where you are walking. The CF you will definitely have problems even finding places to hang your clothes sometimes as it is so crowded. Last year I walked the Camino Portuguese and probably only used my clothes pins 2 or 3 times. That was because there weren't that many and I saved the Albergue pins for later arriving pilgrims. They same held true 3 years ago when I walked from Le Puy. Pins were not necessary. I walked both in Sept/Oct.

We use these when we travel (mind you not by foot or with a backpack) for laundry and other impromptu needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall®-Metal-Spring-Clamps-Rubber/dp/B01F4N67HC/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1535044222&sr=1-1&keywords=wideskall+2"+inch+mini+metal+spring+clamps+w/+red+rubber+tips+clips

These are not the exact ones we bought but was the first link I found on amazon ... do your own search for others. The 2" size and strong spring will hold jeans, in the wind easily. There are all vinyl versions that will weigh less but these metal ones are soooo strong!

Edit to add:
I see the shipping weight for all 60 and the box is only 1 pound so the clips are pretty lightweight.

I always take a few meters of parachute cord, and always have an usage for it...
From clothesline to door "security" and all kind of emergency repairs!
I prefer safety pins, because of the wind.
Overall weight is close to nothing, but many other pilgrims can remember his usefulness.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's also good so that guy doesn't accidentally steal your bras and panties to wear, himself.
YES!!! LOl @JillGat we need to be so careful these days...lol ( but I did start my first camino with 5 pr of black athletic undies and ended up with two...not for leaving behind, but had been taken )

I never used the clothesline that I brought, but I'll keep on bringing it. I used both clothespegs and pins. Clothespegs for my merino wool shirts on my second trip (because I found out that pins put holes in your $70 merino wool shirts and those holes grow) and pins for the windy days and for objects that looked like everyone else's (because I really don't want to mistakenly take someone else's undies). Mark your clothespegs so you know which ones to take off the line. There aren't always enough at albergues either.
I agree on the issue of holes in garments when using safety pins -- although they do work well for attaching the occasional items on the outside of our backpacks for additional drying. My wife and I carried a half-dozen each of regular wooden clothes pins/pegs. We painted them bright day-glo orange and used a sharpie to write our name on them to make sure they didn't wander away.

I remember one exceptional lousy day leaving O'Cebreio and having to camp out at Hospital de la Condesa. The albergue wasn't open yet but the rain and sleet were enough to make me stop there and take refuge. The hotel and restaurant up the street were open but completo. By the time the albergue opened there was a line of freezing pilgrims. We were hanging everything in our bag from the beds and the few lines in the dormitory. The place was damp and full of nasty sweaty smells and the hospitalero refused to turn on the heat, so it that night it ended up near freezing in the dormitory. It was one of the worst night I have every experienced.
Not to mention some guy in the bunk above me who was so annoyed with my snoring he kept me awake all night shaking the bunk bed, too bad for him, I slept and he didn't.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
YES!!! LOl @JillGat we need to be so careful these days...lol ( but I did start my first camino with 5 pr of black athletic undies and ended up with two...not for leaving behind, but had been taken )

Yeah, I didn't take your last two, after I found out your other ones creeped up in the back. I hate that.

Those are not must have items but recommend those to have. If you arrive early enough, you can use clothline that the most of albergues have. But arrive late, there may not enough space for you. Also, in rainy day, you may need it to hang your clothes inside ablergue or around your bed. Clothes pins are not only to hang your clothes in albergue, but also you can use it hang your clothes on the backpack during walking or temporary fix your stuffs like backpack or clothes. I always have clothes line, some pins & pegs for just in case.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Carry some clothes pegs, they come in handy, but not too many.
Albergues usually have a drying line or airer, as a rule. If going into occassional casa rural or hotel, you can maybe get washing done ($) or need to wash in hand basin and dry. (Pegs are then handy)

Diaper pins are the best I also took a sea to summit clothesline and it was tiny and I used it often around my bunk bed to finish drying my clothes! Will take it again on our next Camino

PLEASE!!! wing it...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We use these when we travel (mind you not by foot or with a backpack) for laundry and other impromptu needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Wideskall®-Metal-Spring-Clamps-Rubber/dp/B01F4N67HC/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1535044222&sr=1-1&keywords=wideskall+2"+inch+mini+metal+spring+clamps+w/+red+rubber+tips+clips

These are not the exact ones we bought but was the first link I found on amazon ... do your own search for others. The 2" size and strong spring will hold jeans, in the wind easily. There are all vinyl versions that will weigh less but these metal ones are soooo strong!

Edit to add:
I see the shipping weight for all 60 and the box is only 1 pound so the clips are pretty lightweight.

Binder clips will also work great as clothes pins. No chance of an accidental opening of the clip. They are also great for book markers and for holding the pages of a book open if you want to read outside where it's windy, but are too tired to hold the book in your hands. Available in 3 sizes.

I carry safety pins. Small and keep my laundry from blowing and also discourage someone grabbing the "wrong" clothes.:rolleyes:

Binder clips will also work great as clothes pins. No chance of an accidental opening of the clip. They are also great for book markers and for holding the pages of a book open if you want to read outside where it's windy, but are too tired to hold the book in your hands. Available in 3 sizes.
I like the rubber tips on those crafting clips. Binder clips can rust I imagine if made wet?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
would any of you recommend using or bringing a meter long Bungee cord with hooks on both ends?

Attachments

• bungee cords.jpg
    bungee cords.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2
I concur that a few meters of line is helpful - spare shoelaces if nothing else, but oft times the albergue lines are indeed full.

I'm not a fan of safety pins in lieu of clothes pins, though I do have some for repairs etc. I don't want holes in clothes and they seem to rust (well - perhaps not the brass ones, but then are they indeed brass or just coated?!) . For clothes-line pins I use bread clips - the small flat pieces of plastic used to seal plastic bags. They're free when you buy bagged goods; dozens of them still weigh next to nothing and don't take up any space. They hold tight and don't slip - without holes!

would any of you recommend using or bringing a meter long Bungee cord with hooks on both ends?
Dangerous at the best of times. A metre isn't that long. If you're stretching it to the limit and it slips out of your grasp those hooks could be lethal - unless you want to be known as the "One-Eyed Pilgrim" I'd leave it at home.

I concur that a few meters of line is helpful - spare shoelaces if nothing else, but oft times the albergue lines are indeed full.

I'm not a fan of safety pins in lieu of clothes pins, though I do have some for repairs etc. I don't want holes in clothes and they seem to rust (well - perhaps not the brass ones, but then are they indeed brass or just coated?!) . For clothes-line pins I use bread clips - the small flat pieces of plastic used to seal plastic bags. They're free when you buy bagged goods; dozens of them still weigh next to nothing and don't take up any space. They hold tight and don't slip - without holes!
I had to look up to see what a bread bag clip was - where I buy my (fancy artisan) bread the bag is sealed with a twist and some tape). Haven't seen these for a while and reading this makes me understand why!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't like the way my clothes slide down the clothesline when I use the safety pins.
@trecile you found a way around this that suits you but here is another way that may work (I haven't tried it yet.) Attach the pins to some small alligator clips used for electronic work and then clip them to the clothes line.

I had some extra parachord I added to the front of my pack weaved through the loops to look like webbing...can be used for drying clothes, holding pants up after loosing too much weight, extra shoe laces etc..... took non rusting safety pins..no holes if you pin the seams.

Security confiscated my 10 foot long para-cord clothes line. It was in checked baggage on my way to the Camino but it was in my carry-on bag on the way home. I can't remember if it happened in Santiago or Madrid but I was quite surprised that they thought this to be dangerous.

I got a lot of use from my para-cord clothesline and set it up frequently when I had a bottom bunk to finish the drying process overnight. I also hung other stuff on it during the night that I wanted handy like a head lamp and glasses and lip balm.

Fishing line would be the lightest material by far but my experiments with it resulted in everything sliding down and bunching up in the middle. The para cord has some grip or friction to it to reduce sliding and you can push your safety pin through it and you can tie knots in it every 6 inches or foot to keep things from sliding down and overlapping each other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Wow, what a great idea.

Safety pins do not make holes in your clothes.
Once removed from dried clothes you will not see holes.

Use brass pins only.

The other ones may leave a rust stain.

To stop clothes sliding down the line with pins .. move the pin, if possible, through the line.
I take small pieces of para cord. About two inches in length. Knot them on line between clothes to stop sliding clothes on the line.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.