• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing a Gear for Summer Camino

Minnaloushe

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2013
Can anyone provide me with some info on the clothing that you took with you during a summer Camino. I want to avoid splurging my budget on high end gear but would like to know if anyone could steer me in the right direction in terms of good value, good quality walking gear.. never done anything like this before. Many thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you live in the USA? Reason I'm asking is because larger Goodwill Stores have a most excellent "Active Wear" section and I've found some incredible clothing there for almost nothing.

The last time I walked in summer, I had both hot and chilly days. I think if you plan on layering clothes, you'd be smart.

My packing list always includes two zip-off pants (or hiking skirts), two short-sleeved shirts, 1 long-sleeve shirt, 1 fleece, 1 windbreakers, 2 underwear, 2 bras and a rain poncho. I take 2 pair of wool socks, 2 liners, and a pair of flip-flops or other extremely lightweight footwear for evenings. I add in some lightweight capeline or silk or smartwool longjohns for those chilly wet days. You pretty much wear one outfit a couple of days, then wear the other while you wash and dry one.

Anniesantiago said:
Do you live in the USA? Reason I'm asking is because larger Goodwill Stores have a most excellent "Active Wear" section and I've found some incredible clothing there for almost nothing.

The last time I walked in summer, I had both hot and chilly days. I think if you plan on layering clothes, you'd be smart.

My packing list always includes two zip-off pants (or hiking skirts), two short-sleeved shirts, 1 long-sleeve shirt, 1 fleece, 1 windbreakers, 2 underwear, 2 bras and a rain poncho. I take 2 pair of wool socks, 2 liners, and a pair of flip-flops or other extremely lightweight footwear for evenings. I add in some lightweight capeline or silk or smartwool longjohns for those chilly wet days. You pretty much wear one outfit a couple of days, then wear the other while you wash and dry one.

Our packing list looked much like yours with the addition of gloves and sunhat, but we fund we wore one set for walking and then changed into the other once we arrived and showered. That afternoon/evening set needed washing only rarely - the walking set was washed more frequently and was usually dry by the time we went to bed. Although some of the kids figured the pants were only going to get dusty again the next day, so it was enough to shake them out and put them back on again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh yeah, I forgot a sun hat! that is REALLY important!
And the long sleeved shirt for me serves as a sun-block also since I don't wear sunscreen.

Will there be a summer Camino this year?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anniesantiago said:
Good question, huh!?
I'm starting to get nervous.

Your not an orphan ( your not alone ).

I have just ordered a Altus poncho to pickup when I arrive in Pamplona . This will be my fourth Camino and I am more nervous about the weather than the previous three years. I have been told it can change quickly, I just hope it is for the better.

I've been wearing convertible pants by Columbia, an REI long sleeve tshirt and a very light windbreaker in 42-45 deg. F weather with a 15 MPH wind by the bay here in NYC and I've been comfortable during my training walks.

I'm taking a hat for the sun and a lite fleece cap (just in case) and my 2nd pair of sox can pull double duty on my hands if I have to.

Mind you, I'm cold-blooded, Caribbean born and raised and 85 deg F is perfect temperature for me...I strongly dislike the mercury below 78 and I won't complain until it gets above 92 :D

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hey Damien, where were you born? My eldest son was born in St. Croix, and I lived there and Puerto Rico for years.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Being from Australia we have the advantage of preparing for a summer Camino in the summer, we can use the summer gear that we have purchased for the Camino on our training walks. It has rarely been under 25 degC during any of my walks

Annesantiago, when you say fleece, what thickness/weight are you speaking of? And where did you purchase it (if in the USA?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.