• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing Advice for a June VF Lausanne-Lucca

antepacem

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Portugues/Norte/Primitivo/Salvador
Hi folks,

I am planning to walk from Lausanne to Lucca-ish (further, if I've got time) this summer. I will probably land on trail by about June 12th and I'm hoping the impassable snow pack days will be over on the St. Bernard Pass by then. I am very aware that I might have to get a lift/take the road/etc. but I want to ensure that I am prepared in case the pass is ... passable.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done the trek in the months of June or July, where it can still be super cold for those two-ish days up and down the Pass, but super super hot for the rest of the walk (especially through Italy). Did you bring along raggedy/past-their-prime extra layers that you then ditched after crossing the pass?

I usually bring a 150 merino zip-up and tights/leggings for evenings anyway, so it's possible that I could just wear all of my clothes at once when I cross. But then I'll be sweaty and cold when I arrive at the hospice and have nothing cozy to sleep in.

Any advice for navigating the extreme temp differences would be most helpful. The issue, of course, is that it's hard to imagine schlepping extra layers when I only need them for a couple of days, but I also *hate* leaving behind or throwing away clothes.

Thanks in advance to experienced VF-ers!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

I'm living at about 30km distance from Grand St Bernard. They generally open the road mid to end of June, so even if the summer path is still closed you should be fine getting up there. This year has seen good snow cover but it's already quite warm too. I wouldn't bring anything more than what you're saying.

For walking up on a normal day, I'd say t-shirt, long sleeve and windblocker (with a puffer as backup) should do in June. It's what you'd want to bring anyway for cooler days/evenings. If it's particularly miserable, you may want to change plans anyhow (if the road is open, there's a bus). Also, it's a very popular route for winter walking - snowshoeing - ski touring; so unless there's a layer of fresh snow, you should be fine on the well traced winter route.

If you're sweating, you're wearing too much, so take off a layer. I'm walking and running a lot here and if it's sunny it has already been t-shirt and shorts style the last couple of weeks.

It's beautiful up there and the Aosta valley is amazing! Enjoy

Hi,

I'm living at about 30km distance from Grand St Bernard. They generally open the road mid to end of June, so even if the summer path is still closed you should be fine getting up there. This year has seen good snow cover but it's already quite warm too. I wouldn't bring anything more than what you're saying.

For walking up on a normal day, I'd say t-shirt, long sleeve and windblocker (with a puffer as backup) should do in June. It's what you'd want to bring anyway for cooler days/evenings. If it's particularly miserable, you may want to change plans anyhow (if the road is open, there's a bus). Also, it's a very popular route for winter walking - snowshoeing - ski touring; so unless there's a layer of fresh snow, you should be fine on the well traced winter route.

If you're sweating, you're wearing too much, so take off a layer. I'm walking and running a lot here and if it's sunny it has already been t-shirt and shorts style the last couple of weeks.

It's beautiful up there and the Aosta valley is amazing! Enjoy
Thank you so much! This really helps. I'm really looking forward to this leg of the route!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Happy to help. If you need any when you're here or getting closer, don't hesitate to contact me! Enjoy preparing and have a great trip!

Good news, as of wednesday 2 june the col the grand saint bernard is open. walking conditions should be pretty decent all around, the italian part was already doable a month ago. Have fun all!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.