• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing advice needed for Le Puy route in June

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I will be walking the Le Puy route to Moissac begining approx June 3rd, 2018. I am a little unsure of weather conditions and temperatures as I read there are many climbs and descents the first week especially. I have always walked mid April to late May on the Frances, the Norte and Primitivo routes and loved that time of year. I wonder if LePuy route mornings can still be quite cold, or can the afternoons be humid and hot. I realize no one has a crystal ball, but for those of you who have walked in JUNE, what did you experience weather wise? I thought maybe I'd just bring shorts, tshirts and a fleece, but not bring long pants, my puff coat, hat or gloves. I hate being hot and hate being cold. :rolleyes:
What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Moissac is pretty low elevation - you can check the profile sites but you're not on any of the Central Massif by that point. Even the hill towns are atop rather small hills. Shorts, short-sleeves, and a fleece should be fine. Depending on your personal climate (some people are warmer-blooded than others), you may want something longer in the evenings.

Hi,

From Le Puy to Moissac, you will cross, as you know, the Aubrac, a mountainous area. You may have "four seasons in a single day".

Described here as a rough, windy country, with snow likely from October to May and morning frost possible all the year round.
More precises figures here or there.

For the beginning of June, I suggest you prepare for possible cold temperatures and bring long pants and a windbreaker. And hat and gloves (or make do with a buff and spare socks). A puff coat is probably too much but a good raincoat/poncho is necessary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My bad - I misread the OP as beginning in Moissac rather than ending in Moissac. By all means have long pants and long sleeves available. Hat, gloves, puffy coat would entirely depend on your personal weather.

I walked this route starting end of May in 2012. I wore shorts every day and had lightweight long pants for evening. 1 very light longsleeve merino and very light fleece and silk singlet. Silk scarf to cover ears under hat in case of sharp wind. Altus raincoat. It was perfect.
Slept in boxers and shortsleeve top. Silk liner only as blankets everywhere.
No gloves.
Hope this helps.
Regards Gitti

Lovely weather, and oh my, the wildflowers!!! (but I digress) We did have freezing sleet and thick fog on the Aubrac in early June - it wouldn't be smart to be caught in that with just shorts and a t shirt, but if you have a fleece you could add a fleece earband to your pack or a beanie and you will probably be fine, and possibly have zip-offs instead of just shorts. Virtually no extra weight or bulk but a little bit of safety-and-comfort where needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We started from Le Puy on June 26 of this year and ran into cold, wet, windy conditions at the start (down to freezing at night). That lasted until the day we arrived at St. Cheley, when the high temperature was 55' (cold wind out of the northwest, though). Then we had a couple of nice days, followed by five straight days in the mid- to upper 90's. After that the temperatures going to SJPdP would alternate, several days in the 70's to 80's, then several in the 90's again.

One of my journal entrees read "SOMEONE OWES ME SOME DECENT WEATHER!!!" (Probably on the third or fourth day that was cold, wet, and very windy ;)).

Pretty much a mixed bag, starting almost a month later than you're going. Best advice is to be prepared for just about anything, I guess.

We started from Le Puy on June 26 of this year and ran into cold, wet, windy conditions at the start (down to freezing at night). That lasted until the day we arrived at St. Cheley, when the high temperature was 55' (cold wind out of the northwest, though). Then we had a couple of nice days, followed by five straight days in the mid- to upper 90's. After that the temperatures going to SJPdP would alternate, several days in the 70's to 80's, then several in the 90's again.

One of my journal entrees read "SOMEONE OWES ME SOME DECENT WEATHER!!!" (Probably on the third or fourth day that was cold, wet, and very windy ;)).

Pretty much a mixed bag, starting almost a month later than you're going. Best advice is to be prepared for just about anything, I guess.
Wow! Your post is making me think I'd better take all the same clothing as I used on my past three spring Caminos, which was a variety of everything. And to think I was hoping to reduce my pack weight further with less bulk by going in June, assuming I was walking in "summer"! Lol.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess no matter what month we walk any of the pilgrimage routes, we have to be prepared for ALL weather possibilities. :eek:

Wow! Your post is making me think I'd better take all the same clothing as I used on my past three spring Caminos, which was a variety of everything. And to think I was hoping to reduce my pack weight further with less bulk by going in June, assuming I was walking in "summer"! Lol.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess no matter what month we walk any of the pilgrimage routes, we have to be prepared for ALL weather possibilities. :eek:

Didn't want to discourage you, but since you're leaving over three weeks earlier than we did, I just wanted you to be aware. BTW, Le Puy is awesome, a really lovely town. We got there prior to the Tour de France rolling through - we had just finished biking from Paris to Moulins and were really glad we decided not to tackle the mountains coming into Le Puy.

Speaking of which, this was the toughest of our caminos. Lots of very steep uphills and (worse) very steep downhills. Totally worth it though, beautiful country and great food! Most people stay in Saint Privat de Allier (another really lovely village) the first night - we pushed on to Montisrol...not so lovely (very limited accomodations) but it saved us from having to tackle a steep downhill the next day before getting to Sauges. Sort of a you-pick'em situation, but it worked for us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Didn't want to discourage you, but since you're leaving over three weeks earlier than we did, I just wanted you to be aware. BTW, Le Puy is awesome, a really lovely town. We got there prior to the Tour de France rolling through - we had just finished biking from Paris to Moulins and were really glad we decided not to tackle the mountains coming into Le Puy.

Speaking of which, this was the toughest of our caminos. Lots of very steep uphills and (worse) very steep downhills. Totally worth it though, beautiful country and great food! Most people stay in Saint Privat de Allier (another really lovely village) the first night - we pushed on to Montisrol...not so lovely (very limited accomodations) but it saved us from having to tackle a steep downhill the next day before getting to Sauges. Sort of a you-pick'em situation, but it worked for us.
Hi Ray, Thank you for all the helpful advice and encouragement as to the beauty of the route being worth what hardship may come.
Discouraged...maybe. Defeated...NO! :D

Thin multi layers is the best option if you can afford a merino base layer much the best if not go for 100% cotton, avoid synthetics except for a waterproof. If you start getting too warm/cold its easy to remove/add layers. Zip off trousers are good as you can start the day in full length and zip off the bottoms if the day warms up. I'm doing Le Puy - SDC starting in April and will use the same, as someone said expect 4 seasons in a day, most of Europe is like this now at anytime of year.

Hi Ray, Thank you for all the helpful advice and encouragement as to the beauty of the route being worth what hardship may come.
Discouraged...maybe. Defeated...NO! :D

That's the spirit! Let me know if there is any information I can provide from our trip that might be useful. When we did the CF in 2015, we hiked for a while with a man who called himself a "Champagne" Pilgrim, since he always stayed in the nicest places, ate at the best restaurants, and always had his pack transported. That's definitely not us, but I would say we are "A Nice Bottle of Wine" Pilgrims, so there's that.

If nothing else, one piece of advice I can give is to always pack plenty of water and snacks - as opposed to the CF, there were many long stretches on the Le Puy route with no place to get water, and few places to eat during the day at times.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's the spirit! Let me know if there is any information I can provide from our trip that might be useful. When we did the CF in 2015, we hiked for a while with a man who called himself a "Champagne" Pilgrim, since he always stayed in the nicest places, ate at the best restaurants, and always had his pack transported. That's definitely not us, but I would say we are "A Nice Bottle of Wine" Pilgrims, so there's that.

If nothing else, one piece of advice I can give is to always pack plenty of water and snacks - as opposed to the CF, there were many long stretches on the Le Puy route with no place to get water, and few places to eat during the day at times.
Thanks for the offer to answer additional questions I may have. I do have one for now...I have always taken my lightweight sleeping bag in Spain, perfect in spring. What did you use? It seems many others take only sleep sacks and then use the available blankets when needed.

Thanks for the offer to answer additional questions I may have. I do have one for now...I have always taken my lightweight sleeping bag in Spain, perfect in spring. What did you use? It seems many others take only sleep sacks and then use the available blankets when needed.

I have a microfiber mummy/sleeping bag liner by Cocoon that I treated with Permethrin. I used it the couple of times I felt I needed something between me and the blankets that were provided (if you know what I mean ;)). I also have a hammock quilt from Hammock Gear that I always take just in case I get caught outside, but I never needed to use it in France. Both items stuff down really well and don't weigh much.

I could easily have gotten by without the quilt, but you never know if you're going to be caught out in something, so I'd take it again. But if the weather is good the entire time (a big "if') I think you can get by with just a liner/sleep sack/lightweight sleeping bag and the blankets that are provided. Of course, you mileage may vary depending upon whether you're naturally warm-blooded or not.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.