• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing for May/June

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
I start my Camino at the end of April 2012, around the 28th, from SJPDP. My date to finish is around the week of June 6th. I'm planning to continue on to Finisterre if I finish early. I have really been wrestling with what I need to take in the way of clothing. I bought myself a couple of long sleeves shirts that are a cotton/polyester/very low spandex blend, a lightly insulated vest (polyester insulation), and a light jacket that repels water. I plan to get myself a poncho that covers my pack as well.

I keep wondering if it will be raining a lot during this time. Will there be need for a full pack cover as well as the poncho?

My husband keeps telling me I need to get these moisture wicking, mostly polyester blends of clothing to wear. Has anyone found this to be true?

And I'm not sure about the type of pants to get during this time. I was looking at the convertible pants, but I'm not sure if there would really be a reason to wear shorts at all. If it will be cold and rainy on me the whole time or not. Also, what type of material is best for the pants to be? Is it needed to get some sort of rain pant? Or would it be simpler to get a pair of gaiters to wear instead?

Thank You,

Heather

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Heather,

I will be just a week behind you and I hope to be able to wear shorts. The trousers with the zip off legs are really handy. I also find them very handy if it rains, one zips off the legs so that they don't get wet. Our skin is lovely and waterproof. I certainly would not think of wearing waterproof trousers whilst walking. One would die of heat in them. During May I have found that I wear shorts most of the time. A poncho will cover the top of you and your rucksack and let the air up around you to keep you from getting too hot.

I agree with your husband. Tea shirts of wick-able material are advised No matter how hot you get you do not get damp with perspiration. I actually had no idea of how much I was sweating until my lip hit against the strap of my rucksack one day as I was taking it off, and I could not believe how salty it tasted. Wick able material dries quickly, whereas cotton takes a long time to dry.

Buen Camino,

Lydia

It is preferable for your inner layers to have good wicking properties. Materials like cotton and to some extent wool will hold moisture close to your skin, and you can become quite chilled as the moisture evaporates.

Normally, if you are planning to use a goretex or similar rain jacket, it is important to avoid cotton in your middle layer as well. However, if you are wearing a poncho, this may not be a problem.

I walked a little earlier in the year than you plan to, and there were a couple of occasions even then when walking in shorts might have been pleasant. You might want to ensure you have that option.

Regards,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I come from a country where we walk in shorts most of the time- and I tended to just add polyprops under my shorts if it was very wet/cold. I just want to add here though that it might be quite cold in May, depending on what kind of season it ends up being. I walked in June 2008, which I gather had the coldest spring for 10 years, and there were some bitterly cold days, right up until about Moratinos where Rebekah lives on the Meseta. I think the afternoon I spent at her place was the first properly warm afternoon I encountered in Spain!
Margaret

Our kit, based on experience, includes fleeces, zip off trousers, long sleeved shirts with T-shirts and pair of longjohns - all hi-tec. Layer up when cold, zip off and roll sleeves up if hot. Zip on and lower sleeves if scorching to prevent burning.
May is a lovely, but variable, month.
Buen Camino

Heather,

It looks like we've planned the exact same trip! I'll also be starting the last couple of days in April/1st in May and plan to finish in Santiago on June 6th with the potential to move on to Finisterra from there.

I've gone crazy with trying to find all of the right info for weather but across the board from everyone: could be cold and wet, could be lovely! My plan then is to over pack just a little with an additional fleece, thin gloves and hat knowing that I'll probably mail it home at some point. I'd ratther have it on me and have to send it home than have to purchase one there since I'm on a tight budget.

I also just purchased (on recommendation from the lovely people here) a great rain poncho from Altus that is built to fit yr pack and be very breathable. In addition to that for rain I'll have a pair of gaitors though those might ship home at some point too.

I'd be happy to share my packing list with you if you want! It's definitely the list of someone who hasn't walked her first camino yet but I've had lots of input and advice from the people here and they're the smartest around :)

Joan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Heather,

I walked last year from April 29 - early June. I had very cold weather many mornings (hat, gloves and fleece(s)), then a couple of boiling hot days. Layers are very important and convertible pants a great idea. Pants/shorts in one! So you have shorts when you need them but I found I most often wore them as pants to keep the sun off.

Good luck, Allison

Just be very careful not to overpack! The weight will be much worse than a few minutes of cold in the early morning. The weight will be with you every day..all day. The cold will only be for a few minutes until you get up to walking speed.
I now take only one pair of zip-off pants. Fast drying. No need for an extra pair. A couple of tech tee shirts and a long sleeve fleece to wear under my windbreaker/raincoat.
I am not carrying extra pants, shirts, etc on future Caminos.
I have walked the Camino Frances a couple of times in Mid March.

Hi. I'm also walking late april.

I'd be grateful for answers to a couple of quick questions:

1/ Lydia Gillen said: "The trousers with the zip off legs are really handy. I also find them very handy if it rains, one zips off the legs so that they don't get wet. Our skin is lovely and waterproof." But doesn't water run down into your boots and make the insides wet?

2/ Icebreaker also do outer garments. Does anyone know how well they stand up to the wear and tear of rucksack straps?

3/ I've read that outer layer rainproofs are compromised where rucksack straps press on them. Is this true? [if so, presumably there's no alternative but to use a cover-all poncho/raincoat]

4/ I've just bought my boots [Keen Targhee]. I've never worn boots before. Whilst these are very comfy [probably the widest on the market for my big plates], my feet do get hot. Of course, if feet are wrapped up in polyester, wool and leather, they're bound to get hot. Is it a good idea to wear two liner socks on each foot instead of a liner/hiking sock combination?

Many thanks.
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We love our Rohan ponchos which are currently discontinued in favour of anorak/raincoat type waterproofs. Talking in the Rohan shop recently the lady said that the poncho is to be re-introduced as rucksack straps can rub places on the coats, although they should not leak. However these are the very expensive jackets (£200+) so cheaper types may well be compromised.
Ponchos, whichever make are not going to suffer friction and you don't have to take your pack off to put them on or remove them either.
Re the socks we favour thin wicking liners, thin mohair middle layer and thicker mohair outer layer. Our feet actually stay cooler that way. Liner socks alone cannot wick moisture away the same - I just tried that in Lanzarote with a friend and my feet got really sweaty, and this wasn't walking far. Problem solved by my thinner mohairs which I had with me.

Thanks for that Tia. I like the look of Mohair socks. Strange no one else on here seems to mention them. I'm trying out a pair of Teko merino socks at the moment [over bridgedale liners], and they're lovely, but are a bit thick. I'll get a pair of mohair ones and give them a try. Why do you use three layers?

antelope said:
........ I'll get a pair of mohair ones and give them a try. Why do you use three layers?
The middle layer takes all the friction/wear. We have both found that the middle layer socks get thin while the inner and outer layers are still good.
Our mohair socks are from Corrymoor - Sportsman for the middle layer and then Companion or Woodlander depending on the length preferred as outers. The wicking liners are Rohan 'Inner and hot' socks - mens/womens sizes.
Hope that helps

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hello all!
i see people have mentioned very cold weather especially early mornings in may but is this just on higher ground? we will walk from sarria to finisterre and im guessing it wont be as cold. also will thermals be needed this time of the year for sleeping? i have to pack everything for myself and my daughter into a 30 litre bag but dont want to end up cold either. my thoughts were.....each... one pair of pants, one pair of shorts, long sleeve moisture wick t-shirt, one windproof hoody and a ponch with water proof pants. ecco waterproof walking shoes and a pair of light walking sandals each. am i mad????? gaiters? no shoes just sandals? no sandals just shoes? or none of the above?
please and thank you.
pauline and aoibheann :))))))

Indoor sleeping temperatures in May and June will not be arctic. Outdoors, it can be cool in the morning, but walking will warm you quickly. You do not need winter equipment. If you have the bad luck to get a very cold morning walk, you can use your spare socks as gloves until you are warmer. The Sarria to Fisterra stretch will see more rain than it will see cold. A front opening poncho that goes below your knees will allow you to leave the rain pants at home. A poncho that must be pulled over the head and pack is extremely inconvenient, and cannot be donned without help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
falcon269 said:
A front opening poncho that goes below your knees will allow you to leave the rain pants at home. A poncho that must be pulled over the head and pack is extremely inconvenient, and cannot be donned without help.
The length of the poncho will dictate whether you carry waterproof trousers or not. They would be preferable to gaiters and a windchill preventer if it did happen to be cold. The pull on ponchos can be put on by ones-self with practise and there is no water ingress through the front.
One complete change of clothes each, plus spare underwear should be OK. The thermal underwear depends on whether you feel the cold or not. Trekmate Vapour style is lightweight, quick drying and can be worn as pyjamas. They are dense enough to wear as leggings if you want. I never walked in mine prefering to use the rainpants if necessary as they can be taken off easily when it warms up.
Buen Camino

Hi Heather

I am planning to leave SJPP on 27 April and sleep over in Orissen. I will see you on the road. I am glad you posted the question because I have exactly the same questions. I am from sunny South Africa and we are not used to snow and icy weather. The uncertainty is adding to my stress levels. But enjoy the preparations and I will see you on the 28th.

I am new here and i am going to post a thread related to summer cloth collections...

But this thread is so old so i want to ask you all a new question...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I'm also walking late april.

I'd be grateful for answers to a couple of quick questions:

1/ Lydia Gillen said: "The trousers with the zip off legs are really handy. I also find them very handy if it rains, one zips off the legs so that they don't get wet. Our skin is lovely and waterproof." But doesn't water run down into your boots and make the insides wet?

2/ Icebreaker also do outer garments. Does anyone know how well they stand up to the wear and tear of rucksack straps?

3/ I've read that outer layer rainproofs are compromised where rucksack straps press on them. Is this true? [if so, presumably there's no alternative but to use a cover-all poncho/raincoat]

4/ I've just bought my boots [Keen Targhee]. I've never worn boots before. Whilst these are very comfy [probably the widest on the market for my big plates], my feet do get hot. Of course, if feet are wrapped up in polyester, wool and leather, they're bound to get hot. Is it a good idea to wear two liner socks on each foot instead of a liner/hiking sock combination?

Many thanks.
David
David, I started April 30th in Burgos, had 0 - 2 degrees centigrade in the morning, and 25 degrees in the day over the Meseta, rainy weather in Galicia.
Had propylene long sleeved tee shirts for hot and sweaty day together with shortsleeved ones.
But in the morning I had a thin Icebreaker 150 grams quality longsleeved woolen sports tee shirt, and a Swedish Woolpower looped woollen fleece jumper over this, and a flourescent running vest on top (wasn´t going to get run over first week in Spain). Woolen finger gloves and knitted cap.
That kept me pretty warm, and at ten o´clock, I would reverse my Swedish Wool jumper to dry out the moisture, loops outside. At noon tide I would slip into something dry and comfy, but always with garments of wool.
Going into Galicia, I found that I was one of the few that did not cough like a sick hyena , when the rain came...!! And yes rain jackets are compromised due to contact at the straps and the back - sticky.
I will convert to poncho next time and a bicycling light goretex jacket for the in between drizzle and showers....

My advice is, do not miss out on (merino) wool products - it pays...
Have fabrics for both warm amd cold conditions.
Woolpower 200 grms ; http://woolpower.se/en/produkt/zip-turtleneck-200-2/ - unisex, see male example at the bottom, super product, made for military spcs, will wash at 60 dgr !
In the US ; http://www.woolpowerus.com/

Footwear; had only boots of leather but no GoreTex, and then flip flops in town and indoors.
Still wear my boots daily, love them....

Presently walking through my second pair of boots and proper othodic insoles......

Last edited:
Just to reinforce the previous post, merino wool is unbeatable primarily because of the wide range of temperatures that it can be comfortable in - and since the sun soon appears in Spain, you won't be cold for long
Indeed the main problem with pure merino is at the warmer temperature range - I've now switched to using Icebreaker 150 cool-lite that blends polyester with merino wool to improve the wicking performance

appears you are a fan !
I have experimented as well, and have tried Helly Hansen LIFA WARM, polypropylene base with Merino wool as outer layer.
The ONLY drawback with merino cloth is, that it rips easily: I have a loving cat that makes tiny holes and returned from my 2014 with a golf-jumper i.e. with 24 holes !!
It had in truth been washed primitively and wringed a few times so as to expediate a shorter drying period.At home it just needs a short washing cycle at 30 - 40 dgr C and full spinning , and dries up in the night at any temperature
Pure Merino tends to run and therefore propylene/merino mix products are preferable...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in May of this year and the weather was warm with only one day of rain. My kit included silk long underwear tops and bottoms ( did not need), ONE lightweight long sleeved tshirt, one sweatshirt, 2 short sleeved tops (one very lightweight and one normal weight fabric), one pair of shorts, 1 pair yoga pants, and one pair yoga capri's (I figured the capri's could stand in for either a spare semi long-leg pant or shorts depending on the weather when I needed something to wear while doing laundry .. in truth I lived in them). For a coat I took a very lightweight jacket and bought an Altus poncho for rain ... layering was key to keeping warm with my plan ... on the coldest morning I might wear a tshirt a long sleeve shirt a sweatshirt AND a jacket ... to break the wind the Altus was invaluable and WARM with my layering ... all I needed .. but frankly it was warm enough this year that my cold weather plans were mostly theory ... in practice I didn't need them. I also took a swimsuit ,, DONT BOTHER ... I knew better but I took it anyway and it remained in the bottom of my pack like a brick .. a constant rememder that I am an overpacker even on the camino ...

Just be very careful not to overpack! The weight will be much worse that a few minutes of cold in the early morning. The weight will be with you every day..all day. The cold will only be for a few minutes until you get up to walking speed.
I now take only one pair of zip-off pants. Fast drying. No need for an extra pair. A couple of tech tee shirts and a long sleeve fleece to wear under my windbreaker/raincoat.
I am not carrying extra pants, shirts, etc on future Caminos.
I have walked the Camino Frances a couple of times in Mid March.
I love the idea of one pair but what do you do when washing the one set?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.