• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing for mountains

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino in 2008.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting. The article says despite the fact that the woman was well equipped, she had worn flip-flops!
Yeah... at first I was thinking - she is from California, so she should have known better. I mean - CA has beaches, deserts, and snow covered mountains all up and down the state. But then again - I have known Californians who wear flip flops EVERYWHERE and in So.Cal it is not unheard of to see people skiing in bathing suits. She might have have been well equipped but thought it was like home? I don't know. Hard to judge when we don't know the whole story.

Layers, people, layers! Temperatures can rise and fall drastically when crossing mountain passes! Weather systems can change rapidly! Always be prepared and if you ship your pack forward - keep the layers IN YOUR PACK!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
despite the fact that the woman was well equipped, she had worn flip-flops!
At some point, I think this is no longer a matter of knowledge, but is a matter of being able to function rationally in the world. It is good that other pilgrims decided to call for help!

Is it a good thing to wear layers in July when coming across hiking passes ?
Please be specific ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At some point, I think this is no longer a matter of knowledge, but is a matter of being able to function rationally in the world. It is good that other pilgrims decided to call for help!
One of the first presenting symptoms of hyperthermia is poor or irrational decision making. Add in an illusion of over-heating and you have the reason many hypothermic casualties are found in an un-dressed state having shed clothing

Please be specific ?
Wind and water in the mountains can kill at any time of the year. The only time I've gotten hypothermic was in the tropics at about 1200 meters ASL. The Col de Lepoeder is about 1400m. Not in the tropics.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When someone has hypothermia their blood supply is concentrated in their body core and there is reduced flow to the brain. As a result, people with hypothermia rarely act rationally.

I have had hypothermia when I was a teenager and survived because of the actions of others, not through my own actions and I can vouch that while I was not acting rationally at the time, it did not seem so to me.

Since then I keep an eye out for people who may be suffering from hypothermia so that I can help if that is needed.

Please be specific ?
Well it depends on the specific conditions that day and that place!

In my backpack, I would have all the items listed in this post/thread. If I were sending my pack by transport and just selecting items for a day pack, I would recommend whatever is your comfortable walking layer for a nice day, plus a spare long shirt and trousers (could be rain pants), rain jacket, buff, spare socks and gloves.

When someone has hypothermia their blood supply is concentrated in their body core and there is reduced flow to the brain. As a result, people with hypothermia rarely act rationally.
Hypothermic homeless / street people dismissed as drunk or stoned. Hypothermic teenagers dismissed as "larking about". Hypothermic elderly dismissed as "difficult". A "properly" equipped Pilgrim choosing to wear flip-flops in the snow..... Thankfully their companion recognized the symptoms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The scene was a clear July day, just before O Cebreiro. Once we gained a smidge of elevation the temps dropped just a bit- 50+ degrees, and into the clouds on a horse we went. With wool layers on, all I had to do was put on a poncho or dismount and walk. But my muscles locked up. I kept checking on my daughter on the horse behind me saying, "Are you warm enough?" but I was stubborn. My neck got stuck at 90* to the right. I was laughing! I had to slide off of the horse like a city slicker and walked into the bar with quite a hitch in my git-along. Three bowls of caldo later I revived. In hindsight I should have thought of the potential for hypothermia as the fog hit us and added the waterproof layer as a precaution, because it happens quickly (I made my daughter do.) I love that soup!

The scene was a clear July day, just before O Cebreiro. Once we gained a smidge of elevation the temps dropped just a bit- 50+ degrees, and into the clouds on a horse we went. With wool layers on, all I had to do was put on a poncho or dismount and walk. But my muscles locked up. I kept checking on my daughter on the horse behind me saying, "Are you warm enough?" but I was stubborn. My neck got stuck at 90* to the right. I was laughing! I had to slide off of the horse like a city slicker and walked into the bar with quite a hitch in my git-along. Three bowls of caldo later I revived. In hindsight I should have thought of the potential for hypothermia as the fog hit us and added the waterproof layer as a precaution, because it happens quickly (I made my daughter do.) I love that soup!
When my hiking companion eventually found me, off trail and in a hypothermic state he quickly put his coat on me, lit a fire and started boiling a billy of instant soup.

When it had boiled he said to me "you should drink this". I took him at his word, picked the billy up off the fire with my bare hands and drank the boiling soup.

He definitely had not expected that.

Although I was acting irrationally, I neither burnt my hands nor my mouth and throat although I have no idea how.

Sorry for this but seeing this article brought a movie memory back to me...from Blazing Saddles, where the townsfolk had set up a toll booth for the bandits to negotiate, just to slow them down. Or is it more like some kind of gateway is needed to allow those who are properly equipped / attired to proceed and all others declined entry?

Would a series of zip lines be of benefit?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.