• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing for "packing smart"/not overpacking for Camino Primitivo (second half of Sept 2022)

Alcohol or hand sanitizer on feet? That’s not something I’ve seen recommended before?
For public showers, it reduces the risk of fungal infections. Contrary to what many believe, even if you wear a flip flop or a shower shoe, if there are organisms in the shower they will splash up and can still cause infection.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had forgotten about this conversation. Fwiw, I seem to have luck of…idk…whatever never has good luck…and I did hit that massive snowstorm on the way to Roncesvalles, and the day after as well. So for future readers, if anyone is wondering if an Altus works in snow? Yes. It works very well in snow. I wore merino leggings under my lightweight hiking pants, 2 tops (one short one long sleeved), and my two heaviest pairs of socks. Buff as hat/ear warmer. I also had fleece mittens that eventually wetted out but I think anything would have wetted out after 6 hours in the snow.

I decided to wait out the bad weather on day 2, in Espinal, and do not regret that decision.

I am very glad to have the Altus with me, and I also just yesterday used it as a raincoat without my pack by doing up the snaps on the inside to reduce the pack bump. Attractive and fashionable? No. But I was dry. The fleece mittens have served me well on countless cool mornings. They’re the kind where you can fold back the mitten portion and use as fingerless gloves.

I also purchased an ultralight windbreaker to wear over a merino baselayer for afternoon chill and it’s working well as an alternative to a fleece or down jacket. Caveat: I run hot. Lots of people around me are using their fleece or down jackets daily, so ymmv.

Thank you for the info on sanitizer use on feet! Good to know. Foot funk is not on my list of things I want to pick up while here in Spain.

My clothes on my Caminos in March, April, October and November do not weigh more than 5 pounds, so I certainly cannot save 6 pounds off that in July. In April, I simply would not (and have not) carried those heavy items you mention.

The exaggeration lies in the need to carry such heavy items in April. If you want to carry unnecessarily heavy stuff in April, then go ahead. Then you can certainly prove that you can carry 6 pounds less in July!
Pretty interesting April this year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pretty interesting April this year.
Yes. And I stand by what I normally pack. It includes:
  • 3 long-sleeved shirts of merino wool, ranging from very light to a medium weight
  • 1 short sleeve wool tee-shirt and 1 sleeveless wool top
  • 1 long-sleeved hiking/sun shirt
  • down vest
  • rain jacket
  • wool buff, gloves, socks
  • 3 bottom layers if necessary: base merino wool, walking pants, rain pants
If I put all of these on together, I am confident that I would not benefit from any other "heavier" winter clothes. This is exactly what I expect to carry in May-June this year. If I were walking in July-August, I might leave the down vest and one light merino shirt at home.

So for future readers, if anyone is wondering if an Altus works in snow? Yes. It works very well in snow.
Thanks for this comment. I have been playing with the idea of getting an Altus, as I imagine that it would be nice to have in really bad weather. In that case, i would probably downgrade my rain jacket to a lighter weight windbreaker. However, I still like the rain pants as an extra layer, so would be reluctant to abandon them.

For public showers, it reduces the risk of fungal infections. Contrary to what many believe, even if you wear a flip flop or a shower shoe, if there are organisms in the shower they will splash up and can still cause infection.
I have never seen the point of wearing skimpy flip flops in a slow draining shower while you are standing in an inch or more of water.
I'm thinking of using Sportslick on my feet not only for blister prevention, but because it also contains antibacterial and an antifungal ingredients.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never seen the point of wearing skimpy flip flops in a slow draining shower while you are standing in an inch or more of water.
I'm thinking of using Sportslick on my feet not only for blister prevention, but because it also contains antibacterial and an antifungal ingredients.
Indeed, flip flops often don't provide much protection, especially in standing water. And they have the potential to be very slippery on slick surfaces, especially if one is not used to wearing them. I once saw a pilgrim take a nasty fall; the poor guy's feet slide right out from underneath him when coming out of the shower stall and he landed with great force on his back.

Now, I realize that was an isolated incident, but the vision of it stuck, so no more flip flops for me. Instead I will take a small tube of anti-fungal cream for use after showering.

1650645917006.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting read 😀
Personally my packing list for spring, fall and winter are pretty much the same.
Which means I would bring 1. Top 1. T-shirt 1. Longsleeved shirt. 1. Fleece jacket (currently wool)… and only the jacket would be different depending on season and weather forecasts. And usually while walking I would be in one layer under the fleece and only need another layer for breaks.

Bottom wise - I would only bring one pair of trousers or tights, as I usually walk in shorts, also in winter and usually for the evening. My philosophy is that if I wear all my clothes and one time, it should match the “worst” weather…

I always only bring one jacket, soft shell, rain/hard shell jacket and never a jacket/poncho just for rain, but I usually bring an umbrella.

This summer I am bringing 2 dresses and 1 pair of shorts, 1 top and 1 long sleeved shit, 2xunderwear, 1 pair of socks (primarily wear to protect my legs when needed), 2xsandals: hiking and alternative, 1 big scarf, lightweight wind jacket and hat… and a bikini.

This is just to express that we are all different :) we have to find out what works for us.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back