Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing for "packing smart"/not overpacking for Camino Primitivo (second half of Sept 2022)

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to pack "smart" and avoid packing unnecessary clothing. What items (clothing and otherwise) would you recommend for walking the Camino Primitivo in the second half of September 2022? I understand the weather can be unpredictable (rain, hot/cool weather fluctuations, etc.).

I definitely plan to have a lightweight rain jacket and a thin/lightweight fleece in my pack.

(I'm a first-time Camino pilgrim and acknowledge that I may inadvertently overpack.)

Thank you!

Mike

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to pack "smart" and avoid packing unnecessary clothing. What items (clothing and otherwise) would you recommend for walking the Camino Primitivo in the second half of September 2022? I understand the weather can be unpredictable (rain, hot/cool weather fluctuations, etc.).

I definitely plan to have a lightweight rain jacket and a thin/lightweight fleece in my pack.

(I'm a first-time Camino pilgrim and acknowledge that I may inadvertently overpack.)

Thank you!

Mike
I did it this past September and you are right that it is unpredictable. Temperatures were not very cold and a couple of layers were usually good enough - long sleeve top and a hoodie. There are enough slopes, which going up also helped to keep me warm. Also used a rain jacket which was a necessity, though a lot of people prefer a poncho, which would also have worked well - in any case, have one or the other. I also had rain pants which, because I had a long steady rain, worked very well - they weigh 11 oz., and pack up into the back pocket of the pants...very small. Consider your shoes and how water proof/resistant you want them to be - taking care of your feet is a top priority - there were a number of muddy stretches to walk thru, not too long, but frequent enough. For what it's worth, for my Camino, the rain seemed to always come in the afternoon/evening...never had any in the morning, though there were a few days where I finished the walk shortly before the rain started.
Buen Camino

Then all you need to add is a "normal" walking outfit plus a second top and bottom to wear in the evening as a clean outfit that you can also sleep in. Perhaps add another spare lightweight shirt, and no more than 3 underpants and 3 pairs of socks including what you are wearing. A buff is convenient for cool mornings as you can take it off once you warm up, without breaking stride.

Here is a recent thread where we thoroughly critiqued a packing list. Your packing strategy would be the same for any time of the year except, perhaps mid-winter, and for any route. Sure there could be a few details different between mid summer in the south of Spain and mid winter in the north, but the layering principle remains the same - You will need to protect yourself from sun and rain, and then have a couple of light layers to wear under your rain wear on cold days.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I froze on the Primitivo in April, and had my scariest yet experience on a day when there was a driving wind together with snow and sleet. Late September will probably be better, but it is a mountain route so unpredictable. Thin garments are fine, as long as you can layer them and have an outer layer that is rainproof/windproof.

I froze on the Primitivo in April, and had my scariest yet experience on a day when there was a driving wind together with snow and sleet. Late September will probably be better, but it is a mountain route so unpredictable. Thin garments are fine, as long as you can layer them and have an outer layer that is rainproof/windproof.
I’ve never hiked the Camino but I have done several long distance back packing trips in the mountains/deserts back in the US so I’m not a complete novice when it comes to what to wear while hiking. And with that one thing I’ve noticed on here is people over generalize all the time. A trip on the Frances in July is not the same as one on the primitivo in April. Even the Frances and the primitivo at the same time of year can be very different. Thanks for speaking to when you went and addressing when the original poster would go. That type of post is very informative.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Mike
Sorry, Mike but my reply is probably not going to be too helpful. I did the Camino in September 2019 and managed to run the full gamut of weather. the day to Lugo we did 33 km in full sun 33 degrees C, while the last 2 days into Santiago de Compostela were full mist, drizzle and then rain - maximum 15 degrees C. Sadly this means that you are going to need to carry sufficient clothing to cover this. The good news is that I managed it carrying 7 kilos max.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am doing the Primitivo just like you the second half of this September.
Right now I plan with one pair of sturdy hiking trousers, one set long underwear and two sets short underwear, and three pairs of heavier socks. Underwear and socks will all be 100% or close to 100% wool. Besides various other advantages the woolen underwear also provides better temperature regulation. You sweat less even when dressed slightly too warm ... at lest to my experience. For my upper body I will have one additional wooden middle layer and som fleece on top plus a sturdy gore-tex rain jacket. I also will have a thin scarf, a cap and a pair of leather gloves. For my feet I go with one pair of light hiking shoes/boots and one pair of flip-flops for Albergue-showers.
So on the cold and rainy days all but the spare inner layers will be on my body and my backpack almost empty, on the warm days various thing will find their way into my backpack.
This concept proved perfect on the Frances 3 years ago with frosty mornings, horizontal rain and even heat.
But in the end it comes down to personal taste. Some people do not like wool, others love it.

I’ve noticed on here is people over generalize all the time. A trip on the Frances in July is not the same as one on the primitivo in April. Even the Frances and the primitivo at the same time of year can be very different.
But the layering strategy and almost all items remain the same. You should prepare for the same range of possible conditions, for most of the year, on most of the routes.

Excluding the extremes of mid-summer in the south or mid-winter in the northern mountains (neither of which I would do anyway) I would take virtually the same things in my back pack. I might make small adjustments for route and season, such as warmer or second gloves, a hat in addition to buff, an extra long-sleeved base layer shirt, extra pair of socks.

I am doing the Primitivo just like you the second half of this September.
Right now I plan with one pair of sturdy hiking trousers, one set long underwear and two sets short underwear, and three pairs of heavier socks. Underwear and socks will all be 100% or close to 100% wool. Besides various other advantages the woolen underwear also provides better temperature regulation. You sweat less even when dressed slightly too warm ... at lest to my experience. For my upper body I will have one additional wooden middle layer and som fleece on top plus a sturdy gore-tex rain jacket. I also will have a thin scarf, a cap and a pair of leather gloves. For my feet I go with one pair of light hiking shoes/boots and one pair of flip-flops for Albergue-showers.
So on the cold and rainy days all but the spare inner layers will be on my body and my backpack almost empty, on the warm days various thing will find their way into my backpack.
This concept proved perfect on the Frances 3 years ago with frosty mornings, horizontal rain and even heat.
But in the end it comes down to personal taste. Some people do not like wool, others love it.
Totally agree. Wool is the way to go, even when wet it keeps you warm. I prefer IceBreaker or similar woolen clothing as you can get different thicknesses or weight and just add or remove layers. Also Hikers Wool (NZ product) for blisters is the best thing since sliced bread! I like a hat over a cap, better sun shade and keeps my glasses relatively rain free

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
light weight down puffer. i hate being cold. it fits under my raincoat, can be an extra layer in a chilly albergue, a coat to do the town. doesn't weigh a lot, nor takes much space.
Speaking of which, Decathlon has a really light down jacket at a good price.

Maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- Running shorts with liner
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- zPacks or Frogg Toggs Ultralite Poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds/1.54 Kg

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Totally agree. Wool is the way to go, even when wet it keeps you warm. I prefer IceBreaker or similar woolen clothing as you can get different thicknesses or weight and just add or remove layers. Also Hikers Wool (NZ product) for blisters is the best thing since sliced bread! I like a hat over a cap, better sun shade and keeps my glasses relatively rain free
Yes, I got a lot of Icebreaker too, but also Scandinavian brands as they just happen to grow over here ;-)
The real big step for me was when I switched to smart wool socks for every day, not just when hiking :cool: ... I never want to go back ...

Maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  8. Extra insoles x 1
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.
Perfect and much more structured than my monolithic text!
Although I still struggle with non-metric such as pounds :p

But the layering strategy and almost all items remain the same. You should prepare for the same range of possible conditions, for most of the year, on most of the routes.

Excluding the extremes of mid-summer in the south or mid-winter in the northern mountains (neither of which I would do anyway) I would take virtually the same things in my back pack. I might make small adjustments for route and season, such as warmer or second gloves, a hat in addition to buff, an extra long-sleeved base layer shirt, extra pair of socks.
For the Camino Frances. What would be different between what you bring in April around Easter vs say peak season in July?

I defer to someone who’s done the Camino but I’ve been backpacking for years and know gear and my set up would be a lot different in these two hikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be different between what you bring in April around Easter vs say peak season in July?
In April I would take my standard collection.

In July I would probably take a short-sleeved t-shirt instead on one of my long-sleeve base layers. I might decide not to take rain pants and my down vest. Otherwise it would all be the same, with the saved weight taken up by water.

I am curious... for the Camino, what do you think would be different between those times?

[Edit to add: I might also leave the gloves at home, although some people use them for sun protection.]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In April I would take my standard collection.

In July I would probably take a short-sleeved t-shirt instead on one of my long-sleeve base layers. I might decide not to take rain pants and my down vest. Otherwise it would all be the same, with the saved weight taken up by water.

I am curious... for the Camino, what do you think would be different between those times?

[Edit to add: I might also leave the gloves at home, although some people use them for sun protection.]
In April it rains half the month and is pretty cold in the mornings.
For me for April
2 x pants (no shorts)
Thicker fleece or puffy
Base layer
2x long sleeve shirts
Gortex rain jacket
Rain pants
Wool socks
Gloves
Beanie
Sleeping bag

Summer
Smaller pack
Sleeping bag liner light weight
No puffy
Light fleece
Ultra light rain jacket
No rain pants
No base layer
Lighter socks
1 pair shorts
1 pair joggers
2 x Capilene light weight long sleeve shirt with hood for sun
No gloves
No beanie
Probably different shoes as well

Pretty big difference

Last edited by a moderator:
If you line up your 2 lists side by side, I think you'll find that you have only omitted for summer: 1 base layer, rain pants, gloves, and beanie.

You have chosen perhaps lighter versions of other items, but you still have 2 (presumably light weight) long sleeved shirts, 2 pants/trouser whatever style, 1 rain jacket (I use the same light one in both April and July). In April you said "fleece or puffy" but in July "lighter fleece." But the point is that you need some sort of insulation. How heavy depends on personal preference, and what you might have available.

I walked the Frances in March/April.
My total clothing list INCLUDING what I wore at any time was
Trail runners
3 pairs socks
3 briefs
3 T shirts (one long sleeves 2 short)
100gsm fleece
pair lightweight hiking trousers - I like Kathmandu fight pants. Look more like normal trousers and don't scream look at me I'm hiking.
Waterproof breathable jacket (favouring breathability over totally waterproof).
Beany hat
Bandana.
Running shorts for the hot days or wear while washing trousers.

This covered hot sweaty days that used lots of sunscreen to days of snow and rain.

This meant I washed clothes every other day, if you were prepared to was every day you could lose 1 of each of the threes.

Good luck

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you line up your 2 lists side by side, I think you'll find that you have only omitted for summer: 1 base layer, rain pants, gloves, and beanie.

You have chosen perhaps lighter versions of other items, but you still have 2 (presumably light weight) long sleeved shirts, 2 pants/trouser whatever style, 1 rain jacket (I use the same light one in both April and July). In April you said "fleece or puffy" but in July "lighter fleece." But the point is that you need some sort of insulation. How heavy depends on personal preference, and what you might have available.
I think you’re oversimplifying. Let’s take a look

No base layer 10-30oz difference
Heavy fleece vs light fleece 6-9 oz difference
2 pants vs shorts and joggers 15-20oz difference
Sleeping bag vs liner 32oz difference (minimum)
No gloves 3oz
No beanie 3oz
Gortex vs light weight rain jacket 5oz difference
No rain pants 10 oz
Summer shirts vs spring shirts 10oz total diff

That’s 6lbs worth of difference using the lower estimates. That’s completely different in my humble opinion

The overall point is your kit (in my opinion ) can look and weigh significantly different from spring to summer.

I think you’re oversimplifying.
Yes! I am certainly trying to simplify as much as possible

Let’s take a look

No base layer 10-30oz difference
Heavy fleece vs light fleece 6-9 oz difference
2 pants vs shorts and joggers 15-20oz difference
Sleeping bag vs liner 32oz difference (minimum)
No gloves 3oz
No beanie 3oz
Gortex vs light weight rain jacket 5oz difference
No rain pants 10 oz
Summer shirts vs spring shirts 10oz total diff

That’s 6lbs worth of difference using the lower estimates.
Yes, let's look. Your numbers are exaggerated.

My entire clothing (excluding footwear), including what I wear, totals about 5 lb in April, including rain pants, jacket and puffy. Therefore I could not reduce it by 6lb in July!
  • I would never consider a 30oz base layer, nor a "heavy" fleece, in the first place.
  • My two pairs of April trousers weigh 16 oz in total, so in order to save 15 oz (your minimum) I would need to go pantless in July. I draw the line well before that point.
  • My April sleep system (down quilt and liner) weighs 19 oz. My July system is exactly the same. (But I would have my puffy jacket in April). How could I possibly save "32oz minimum"?
That’s 6lbs worth of difference using the lower estimates.
As explained, the difference between my April pack and July pack would not be more than 2 lb. I am a little old lady, so perhaps your clothes are bigger and correspondingly heavier, but the principles are the same and the relative differences would be the same.

I don't want to be arguing about our specific choices, and I have no criticism of yours. I stand by my opinion and experience that the different needs between April and July are minimal, in terms of what I would want to go prepared with.

Yes! I am certainly trying to simplify as much as possible

Yes, let's look. Your numbers are exaggerated.

My entire clothing (excluding footwear), including what I wear, totals about 5 lb in April, including rain pants, jacket and puffy. Therefore I could not reduce it by 6lb in July!
  • I would never consider a 30oz base layer, nor a "heavy" fleece, in the first place.
  • My two pairs of April trousers weigh 16 oz in total, so in order to save 15 oz (your minimum) I would need to go pantless in July. I draw the line well before that point.
  • My April sleep system (down quilt and liner) weighs 19 oz. My July system is exactly the same. (But I would have my puffy jacket in April). How could I possibly save "32oz minimum"?

As explained, the difference between my April pack and July pack would not be more than 2 lb. I am a little old lady, so perhaps your clothes are bigger and correspondingly heavier, but the principles are the same and the relative differences would be the same.

I don't want to be arguing about our specific choices, and I have no criticism of yours. I stand by my opinion and experience that the different needs between April and July are minimal, in terms of what I would want to go prepared with.
I’m going to post exact numbers from common brands so when people read this they know I’m not “exaggerating”. Then I’ll add them up so people can see what you carry does matter. Consider the response aimed towards the board in general. Not you. Thanks for your perspective.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Respectfully I submit the numbers below.

Base Layer: Standard smart wool bottom (8.04) and top (9.74)= 17.78oz
Fleece: Heavy- Patagonia Better sweater (22) - Light Patagonia Micro D (11)= 11oz
2 Pairs Hiking Pants: Kuhl Radikl pants 14.9x2= 29.8 - 1 Patagonia Strider Shorts (3.7) , 1 Patagonia Jogger (6)= 20.1oz

So far we are at 48.88oz (3lbs 8oz) difference just by looking at the first three items I listed and im using mainly high end brands like Patagonia, Smart Wool and Kuhl which are pretty light weight.

Heres a few more
Patagonia torrent-shell Rain pants- 10.9oz
Patagonia R1 daily Light weight Beanie-1.1oz
Patagonia R1 Light weight Gloves- 1.3oz
Arcteryx Beta LT Gortex rain jacket (13.9) - Lightweight rain shell Montbell Versalite (6.4oz)= 7.5
Sleeping bag Anywhere from (24 oz to over 40oz) vs Liner (4.7)= 20 oz

Thats another 2lbs 8oz

3lbs 8oz + 2lbs 8oz = 6lbs

To the forum. What you carry matters. The numbers above say it's no exaggeration.

My clothes on my Caminos in March, April, October and November do not weigh more than 5 pounds, so I certainly cannot save 6 pounds off that in July. In April, I simply would not (and have not) carried those heavy items you mention.

To the forum. What you carry matters. The numbers above say it's no exaggeration.
The exaggeration lies in the need to carry such heavy items in April. If you want to carry unnecessarily heavy stuff in April, then go ahead. Then you can certainly prove that you can carry 6 pounds less in July!

This is so helpful. Opposing opinions gives me more insight. I'm currently trying to ratchet down my list, but I also was in O Ceb when there was 6 inches of snow and an afternoon of sleet requiring me to wear wool socks over my gloves, two buffs arranged as a beanie and a balaclava, rain pants and a rain jacket, and merino baselayers under both.

It was miserable, and to boot, we walked into Fonfria and nothing was open (March) and we had to bang on doors until an albergue owner took pity on us and let us in her foyer and called a cab for us. We got completely overcharged for a cab to Triacastela and I will never ever regret overpaying, even though my walking partner and I shared the cost.

It scared me. They say don't pack your fears? But I experienced the "what if" so it just kind of leaves me pausing where before this experience, I was pretty unconcerned.

I was lucky I wasn't solo walking, which is my norm. I'm less of a minimalist tnow. i'm boggled by the fact that I'm going to be there all of April and all of May. I can't decide on a rain jacket plus a pack cover (soggy pack straps and an overall more soggy experience if it snow or downpours, but also then I have a jacket to wear in the cool evenings), or an Altus poncho (less soggy experience, but I suspect not warm enough if I were to get into another snow/sleet situation and probably awkward to wear out to dinner as well).

I"m flummoxed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  8. Extra insoles x 1

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

If I may ask, what do you wear when you're doing laundry, with only one pair of pants? Do you wear the same pants to dinner that you wore all day long? I can see this working well on a thru hike where you're out of town for 5+ days, but on the Camino?

Speaking of which, Decathlon has a really light down jacket at a good price.

Aren't puffers problematic if they get wet? I've always been hesitant to use them on the Camino.

Whatever. My clothes on my Caminos in March, April, October and November do not weigh more than 5 pounds, so I certainly cannot save 6 pounds off that in July. In April, I simply would not (and have not) carried those heavy items you mention.

The exaggeration lies in the need to carry such heavy items in April. If you want to carry unnecessarily heavy stuff in April, then go ahead. Then you can certainly prove that you can carry 6 pounds less in July!
You know that’s pretty rude. The way you state that with such certainty. Sure you can carry all that heavy and unnecessary gear if you really want to. Surprised you didn’t call me rookie or something me other condescending term.

I think it’s best to just say we agree to disagree and for the board if you don’t want to freeze your ass off and be prepared for an April hike consider taking a little more than you would in July.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is so helpful. Opposing opinions gives me more insight. I'm currently trying to ratchet down my list, but I also was in O Ceb when there was 6 inches of snow and an afternoon of sleet requiring me to wear wool socks over my gloves, two buffs arranged as a beanie and a balaclava, rain pants and a rain jacket, and merino baselayers under both.

It was miserable, and to boot, we walked into Fonfria and nothing was open (March) and we had to bang on doors until an albergue owner took pity on us and let us in her foyer and called a cab for us. We got completely overcharged for a cab to Triacastela and I will never ever regret overpaying, even though my walking partner and I shared the cost.

It scared me. They say don't pack your fears? But I experienced the "what if" so it just kind of leaves me pausing where before this experience, I was pretty unconcerned.

I was lucky I wasn't solo walking, which is my norm. I'm less of a minimalist tnow. i'm boggled by the fact that I'm going to be there all of April and all of May. I can't decide on a rain jacket plus a pack cover (soggy pack straps and an overall more soggy experience if it snow or downpours, but also then I have a jacket to wear in the cool evenings), or an Altus poncho (less soggy experience, but I suspect not warm enough if I were to get into another snow/sleet situation and probably awkward to wear out to dinner as well).

I"m flummoxed.
Just another example of what I’m talking about. Great post. Thanks.

If you truly want gear advice to lighten your loud yet keep you prepared I’d be happy to help

Aren't puffers problematic if they get wet?
My puffy vest is reserved for the evenings and night, when it won't get wet. I have never had to wear it while walking in the day time. Instead, I wear all of my other layers, including rain jacket and pants. It is very important to keep a dry outfit for the evenings.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would need to go pantless in July. I draw the line well before that point.
One of the best lines on the Forum, ever. 😂
(We all thank you for your restraint, @C clearly.)
Opposing opinions gives me more insight.
Obviously there's a lot of variation in what to bring for cooler conditions, more than most are aware. Bring heavy stuff then and super light stuff when it's hotter, and you'll get a much bigger difference in weight than someone who tends toward the middle of the continuum in each season. It doesn't make them wrong - they just have different data.

The lesson is not to rely on generic information, but to weigh your own stuff, thus getting more accurate numbers.

If you truly want gear advice to lighten your loud yet keep you prepared I’d be happy to help

Well, I generally analyze all the "pick apart and criticize my pack contents" discussions, but I NEVER post my own pack lists in full because I'm not sure my soul could take the heat. lol I usually just ask specifics like about the poncho/rain jacket dilemma.

After re reading some of this discussion, I noticed that @davebugg takes both. So now I'm even more confused. lol

I'm also planning to substitute two baselayers, one synthetic and one merino, instead of a fleece because it seems a bit more flexible given weather in April vs May can vary quite a lot. I can layer them without a problem. If this is a bad idea, someone let me know?

My puffy vest is reserved for the evenings and night, when it won't get wet. I have never had to wear it while walking in the day time. Instead, I wear all of my other layers, including rain jacket and pants. It is very important to keep a dry outfit for the evenings.

Ahhh, okay. That makes sense.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it’s best to just say we agree to disagree and for the board if you don’t want to freeze your ass off and be prepared for an April hike consider taking a little more than you would in July.
The person you're disagreeing with has walked a bunch of caminos, and in April, with the kit she desceibes, and has obviously not frozen her ass off. 😶 ;)
Yet.

Aren't puffers problematic if they get wet? I've always been hesitant to use them on the Camino.
The word "puffer" jacket can be filled with either down or a synthetic material. I own both, but prefer to take the synthetic one on the Camino so no worries about wet/rain issues. Both are very lightweight and compress easily without wrinkling.

given weather in April vs May can vary quite a lot. If this is a bad idea, someone let me know
It depends, Eve.
Do you run hot, or cold? IOW, how do you relate to cold?

In 2 Aprils and 3 Mays, my experience (being sensitive to cold extremities) - is that April - especially early April - can be like winter one day, then very mild the next. And mornings can be pretty cold. May is much milder and less all over the weather map. So for April, I'd definitely take the fleece, but not in May.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The word "puffer" jacket can be filled with either down or a synthetic material. I own both, but prefer to take the synthetic one on the Camino so no worries about wet/rain issues. Both are very lightweight and compress easily without wrinkling.

I didn't know that synthetic puffers are rain safe! Now it makes more sense. :)

It depends, Eve.
Do you run hot, or cold? IOW, how do you relate to cold?

In 2 Aprils and 3 Mays, my experience (being sensitive to cold extremities) - is that April - especially early April - can be like winter one day, then very mild the next. And mornings can be pretty cold. May is much milder and less all over the weather map. So for April, I'd definitely take the fleece, but not in May.

I run hot most of the time, especially when walking. Post workout chill, though, is something else entirely. That's why I was thinking maybe on a cold/wet day, I'd wear the merino baselayer under either a poncho or a rain jacket, and then in the evening, I'd layer the synthetic baselayer with my ls sun shirt?

has obviously not frozen her ass off. 😶 ;)
Yet.
Well, I have lived to tell the tale.

It was miserable

It scared me.
I have been in a similar situation. In retrospect, I think my error was in how I managed the clothes that I had, rather than not having the right items. It was my first camino, and I hadn't mastered the art of layering up and down before I got cold in the first place. I let myself get cold, thinking "oh, I'll manage to get there before I need to add whatever layer" and I waited too long.

I'm also planning to substitute two baselayers, one synthetic and one merino, instead of a fleece because it seems a bit more flexible given weather in April vs May can vary quite a lot. I can layer them without a problem. If this is a bad idea, someone let me know?
It is generally an excellent idea to have two lighter layers instead of one heavy one. Whether you need a "fleece" or not depends on the totality of all the layers you are taking. I am a person who likes to stay warm, so I take more layers than many people would consider necessary. So, I take 2 base layers, a medium weight merino sweater, and a down vest, as well as a button-up walking shirt and merino singlet/tank top. (Rain jacket and pants, too.) I might leave behind one layer in July.

To add another suggestion. One thing I find useful, as an in-between season thing, is a light fleece vest. So if you need a bit more core insulation you get that without the weight of the fleece. I'd be cold with only a base layer, shirt and poncho in April. It can snow!

Yes, down "puffers" can be, though I understand that most good quality down items have some kind of hydrophobic treatment. I'm no expert in the subject, but @davebugg has written about it.

I plan to bring this very light down jacket from Uniqlo on my next Camino. Underneath my homemade "parcho" (poncho with sleeves) it should be safe from the rain. And at 6.4 ounces it's just a bit more than half the weight of my fleece.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been in a similar situation. In retrospect, I think my error was in how I managed the clothes that I had, rather than not having the right items. It was my first camino, and I hadn't mastered the art of layering up and down before I got cold in the first place. I let myself get cold, thinking "oh, I'll manage to get there before I need to add whatever layer" and I waited too long.

It is generally an excellent idea to have two lighter layers instead of one heavy one. Whether you need a "fleece" or not depends on the totality of all the layers you are taking. I am a person who likes to stay warm, so I take more layers than many people would consider necessary. So, I take 2 base layers, a medium weight merino sweater, and a down vest, as well as a button-up walking shirt and merino singlet/tank top. I might leave behind one layer in July.

My error was probably more an issue of being short on time. We should never have continued once it started to sleet. The ice was just awful and no Camino gear is adequate for ice, imho. That requires yaktrax or something similar. We got off trail and took the road to reduce the danger a bit but the wind and ice was so bad at times we were walking backward for a bit of relief. Not safe. And knocking on doors in the middle of a storm scared the bejeebers out of me. I'm American and well...we don't do that here. The ubiquitous Axe Murderer situation was my fear. My walking partner was British and not even remotely terrified. :D Neither of us had any days to spare to make it to SDC. I won't make that mistake again. I have a few days built in this time, to take a day off due to weather, and I'll save the last one until I"m beyond the snow/sleet concern.

I have less warm layers planned than you do. Overall, 5 tops, which seems ridiculous to me on the one hand, but on the other hand, without a fleece, 2 baselayers can count as a fleece in which case I have three tops total, which isn't unreasonable to me. 1 sleeveless for hot nights, 1 short sleeve, one long sleeve sunshirt.

To add another suggestion. One thing I find useful, as an in-between season thing, is a light fleece vest. So if you need a bit more core insulation you get that without the weight of the fleece. I'd be cold with only a base layer, shirt and poncho in April. It can snow!

That's what I"m worried about in April, too! I was good with a waterproof rain jacket and a merino baselayer on top while walking. But the poncho situation? Do the ones who love the poncho only walk when it doesn't snow? If that's the case, then maybe I just need to scrap the poncho idea and take a good rain jacket.

Vests don't work for me. Its not my core that gets cold. Its my arms.

Yes, down "puffers" can be, though I understand that most good quality down items have some kind of hydrophobic treatment. I'm no expert in the subject, but @davebugg has written about it.

I plan to bring this very light down jacket from Uniqlo on my next Camino. Underneath my homemade "parcho" (poncho with sleeves) it should be safe from the rain. And at 6.4 ounces it's just a bit more than half the weight of my fleece.

One of the problems I run into is that I haven't been able to find any 5-7 oz outerwear items that fit and are affordable. The lightest weight rain jackets in my price range are around 11 oz (like a Marmot PreCip). The Altus is around 12 oz. That's a lot of weight if I take both. I couldn't find an affordable fleece around 7 oz. They are more often close to a lb. Which is why I thought taking two baselayers might be the better option. I'm having to balance pack weight with affordability. Uniqlo is definitely more affordable but they never have my size in stock. I scour the REI outlet regularly, and I have a Columbia Outlet close to home, but their stuff is often much heavier.

Nope! My Altus has gotten me through 3 snowy or sleety days (honestly the latter was worse).
But then I have a fleece. And leggings.

Okay so how do you make this work? Isn't the Altus rather breezy as a poncho, compared to a rain coat that you can cinch at the waist? And do you wear it to the bar for dinner if its raining?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Okay so how do you make this work? Isn't the Altus rather breezy as a poncho, compared to a rain coat that you can cinch at the waist? And do you wear it to the bar for dinner if its raining?
The Altus really isn't a poncho at all. It's a rain coat with room for a backpack.

Not so breezy as you might think. I actually prefer the ventilation.- it's much less clammy.
And no I don't wear it in the evening. For some reason that hasn't been an issue, though on the Vasco I ended up buying a cheapo collapsable umbrella one night when it was torrential.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Altus really isn't a poncho at all. It's a rain coat with room for a backpack.

I have only ever seen pictures of one online, so if I decide to go with this, I'll be buying it when I arrive. I'm having a hard time visualizing it as a shell against a cold snowy day, as opposed to a rain coat.

The person you're disagreeing with has walked a bunch of caminos, and in April, with the kit she desceibes, and has obviously not frozen her ass off. 😶 ;)
Yet.
Another thing I’ve learned on here is just because you’ve done a Camino doesn’t mean you have it all figured out. But if you haven’t made it through one those who have will most certainly call you out. See above when C Clearly just decided (with whatever authority is granted her I guess) that I was carry heavy and unnecessary equipment.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen people who’ve finished multiple Caminos on here basically tell the people who haven’t they need to wear boots for ankle support and they need to be water proof at that. Completely false and that’s just one example.

And just because you’ve made it through one walk with a gear list doesn’t make it right. It’s like people think everyone who comes to this channel is a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. It’s insulting.

I’m glad C Cleary was fine on her walk. And what about the poster above who got caught in snow. You going to mention her experience? Hopefully hers counts as well.

No I meant Altus and a rain jacket (above Davebugg mentioned taking both and I saw it elsewhere too last week on the forum but I can't remember who it was now.
Sorry, I read what you posted but it went in one ear and out the other.😳

Well, yes. That adds weight. Unnecessarily, I think.
And what about the poster above who got caught in snow.
I'll speak to that. And yes, my experience counts, too. But in this case my packing is more like @C clearly's.

Even if it wasn't, her experience is valid as anyone's. No-one's single view of this is going to be a 'Gold Standard.' Her way of packing is not yours, and categorically saying she's wrong assumes your way is that non-existant gold standard. It's relative, so that just meant she has had to push back and explain herself. Fortunately she has promised to spare us a pantless camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
See above when C Clearly just decided (with whatever authority is granted her I guess) that I was carry heavy and unnecessary equipment.
:rolleyes:

What I addressed was a comparison of a hypothetical April load and a July load. My opinion is that it is not necessary to carry a heavy fleece or heavy sleeping bag in April for the Camino. I gave numbers to show that I could not reduce my pack weight by 6 lb, even in July.

I’m glad C Cleary was fine on her walk. And what about the poster above who got caught in snow. You going to mention her experience? Hopefully hers counts as well.
I am certainly addressing such situations, and in a post above I believe that I did! Those snowy conditions would likely only be encountered in a few spots in April, but it is important to be prepared for them. As mentioned, I probably carry more layers than most people - in both April and July.

I am not saying that I would set out for the North Pole with my Camino backpack. Sometimes it would be wise to take a day off and not walk in severe conditions. Sometimes a change in plans is necessary.

As the one who got caught in the snow...I brought it up because I wanted to explain why these decisions are "weighing" heavily on me (see what I did, there? :) )

And I will definitely be noting the possibility of snow/sleet in the forecasts and not lock myself in to have to be at a particular location again.

For reference, my base weight is 10% of my ideal weight for an end of winter/spring camino. Currently that includes both an Altus poncho and my Helly Hanson rain jacket. I use lighterpack and weigh to the gram, including my passport and random stuff like the Double S hooks I add to my pack. I don't count my first aid kit, prescriptions, or toiletries as consumeables. I've included my kindle that I'm acutely aware many think is unnecessary, but for me, it's important.

I'm a little nervous about the weight of water, extra food, etc sending my pack weight to perhaps 14% FSO (this would include my poles, shoes and clothing I'm wearing). Which is why I'm waffling on my combination of baselayers or fleece, and two rain options or one, and if one, which one. These things could take my FSO closer to 12%.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:rolleyes:

What I addressed was a comparison of a hypothetical April load and a July load. My opinion is that it is not necessary to carry a heavy fleece or heavy sleeping bag in April for the Camino. I gave numbers to show that I could not reduce my pack weight by 6 lb, even in July.

I am certainly addressing such situations, and in a post above I believe that I did! Those snowy conditions would likely only be encountered in a few spots in April, but it is important to be prepared for them. As mentioned, I probably carry more layers than most people - in both April and July.

I am not saying that I would set out for the North Pole with my Camino backpack. Sometimes it would be wise to take a day off and not walk in severe conditions. Sometimes a change in plans is necessary.
This is getting ridiculous. Have a good night.

Which is why I'm waffling on my combination of baselayers or fleece, and two rain options or one, and if one, which one. These things could take my FSO closer to 12%.
Can you test out any of these combinations at home, Eve? I don't know where you are, but there may be a member who lives near you who could loan you their altus? I'm clutching at straws, I know.

Can you test out any of these combinations at home, Eve? I don't know where you are, but there may be a member who lives near you who could loan you their altus? I'm clutching at straws, I know.

I've got plenty of crappy weather to practice in, but no Altus. I ordered the Globe Trekker knock off from Amazon and once I got a look at it I instantly understood why I've read on the forum here that its not the same. I've already started the return process.

Is there some way to kind of belt the Altus in really bad weather? I can't picture it given its covering the pack as well as the whole person, but if there's a way to do this so its blocking wind in terrible weather it might just work for me and then maybe I can find a lower weight fleece instead of a second rain jacket.

€83,-
Is there some way to kind of belt the Altus in really bad weather?
No, but since it doesn't have open sides that's not ever been an issue. And I've walked in some howling gales. With sideways rain.
It's just like a very roomy jacket, with your pack on the inside - which makes it much easier to put on. I initially walked with a goretex jacket and rainpants, after decades of experience of backpacking that way. I will not be going back to them.

You almost have me convinced to get an Altus.
If it looks like rain in the morning, I take it out and walk with it over my pack, with the sleeves knotted in front. Then when the rain comes, I hardly need to break stride to get arms in sleeves and zipper zipped.

Likewise if it's off-and-on raining, there's no longer that annoying dance: take the pack off put the jacket on take the pack off take the jacket off put the pack on take the pack off put the jacket on...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, but since it doesn't have open sides that's not ever been an issue. And I've walked in some howling gales. With sideways rain.
It's just like a very roomy jacket, with your pack on the inside - which makes it much easier to put on. I initially walked with a goretex jacket and rainpants, after decades of experience of backpacking that way. I will not be going back to them.

I keep picturing flowy open-ish sides. If that's not an issue then it might be okay in snow after all. That on and off pack dance thing is totally annoying.

@Eve Alexandra the Altus does not have open sides at all. Think normal shaped long raincoat with a pouch in the back for your backpack.

I have to say the Altus versus jacket is such a personal thing. Neither is perfect.

If that's not an issue then it might be okay in snow after al
Where you notice the design in sleet, (not snow) is that you can get a pocket of icy slush collecting between the pack and your neck. It's not really an issue, just something to make sure you leave outside when you head into shelter in a bar. The Icewoman Cometh, and all that...
😂

Snow doesn't stick in the same way, so is no problem - in my limited experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where you notice the design in sleet, (not snow) is that you can get a pocket of icy slush collecting between the pack and your neck. It's not really an issue, just something to make sure you leave outside when you head into shelter in a bar. The Icewoman Cometh, and all that...
😂

Snow doesn't stick in the same way, so is no problem - in my limited experience.

Even with the hood up?

I think I'm going to go with the Altus. I think overall it's going to be more versatile. Thank you so much, everyone. I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Mike
Rather than the jacket, I recommend the cheapest rain ponch. It is about 2.99 US. Lightweight, and covers more of you if you throw it on over the back. It comes off and on easily without having to take off the pack. Mine lasted 2 Caminos, and folded up smaller than a deck of cards. If you are the least bit fashion conscious stick with the jacket. I am sure I looked like I was wearing a see-through pink garbage bag. Also, several weigh ins and re-packs to get you down to 13 lbs. or so will save you some misery with potentially trip-ending blisters. Remember, Spain has toiletries and first aid items in every town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I may ask, what do you wear when you're doing laundry, with only one pair of pants? Do you wear the same pants to dinner that you wore all day long? I can see this working well on a thru hike where you're out of town for 5+ days, but on the Camino?

??? This is in my post : "The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt." So, no, I do not have only one pair. If I did manage to lose a pair, though, I'd pull on my poncho and then wash the only one that was left :)

Last edited:

If referring to down puffers, no. The common brands use down treated with a hydrophobic coating which allows down to retain its insulating value even when its been exposed to wetness. Labels will show if a garment has been treated.
I have literally dunked treated down garments, wrung out excess moisture, and found them to retain the majority of their loft.

Those 3 shirts don't seem warm enough to me. Were you thinking of the 2 base-layers-instead-of-fleece in addition to these?
Yes. So 3 shirts, and the 2 baselayers would replace the fleece. Still waffling on that.

??? This is in my post : "The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt." So, no, I do not have only one pair. If I did manage to lose a pair, though, I'd pull on my poncho and then wash the only one that was left :)
I was responding to your list that appeared to have only one set of bottoms. I must have missed something. My head was rather spinning last night. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yep -- the Uniqlo jacket is coming with me as well. It is sort of perfect. If it starts to rain, I will put on my poncho.

I was responding to your list that appeared to have only one set of bottoms. I must have missed something. My head was rather spinning last night. :)
I understand the confusion. My list is what goes into my backpack, not what is worn. Clothing that is worn incorporates itself into how the person naturally moves and has little impact on the body's core muscle function or actual energy expenditure. Except for footwear. When lifting feet an average of two thousand steps per mile, you are also lifting the weight of what is worn on that foot. Lighter footwear equals more energy saved.

Backpack loads hang off of the body and impact how the body must engage core muscles in addition to the impact on legs, shoulders and backs.

I understand the confusion. My list is what goes into my backpack, not what is worn. Clothing that is worn incorporates itself into how the person naturally moves and has little impact on the body's core muscle function or actual energy expenditure. Except for footwear. When lifting feet an average of two thousand steps per mile, you are also lifting the weight of what is worn on that foot. Lighter footwear equals more energy saved.

Backpack loads hang off of the body and impact how the body must engage core muscles in addition to the impact on legs, shoulders and backs.
Speaking of that, I read a few posts where it sounded like people are not counting what goes into a bum bag, and that confused me. Is it less impactful because it’s at the waist?

€46,-
Yep -- the Uniqlo jacket is coming with me as well. It is sort of perfect. If it starts to rain, I will put on my poncho.
I love that little Uniqlo jacket. I wore it all last winter and now this year when I go on my daily walks. I wear a light merino wool long sleeve underneath, and it keeps me plenty warm here in Southern Oregon. My rain jacket fits nicely over it for wet days. I have a slightly heavier down jacket from Uniqlo, and I usually get too hot when I wear it for walking - except when the temperatures dip into the freezing/below freezing range.

Speaking of that, I read a few posts where it sounded like people are not counting what goes into a bum bag, and that confused me. Is it less impactful because it’s at the waist?

I suspect that they were separating the weight of each carry pack. Most certainly a bum bag and contents adds to the total weight that is carried.

You know that’s pretty rude. The way you state that with such certainty. Sure you can carry all that heavy and unnecessary gear if you really want to. Surprised you didn’t call me rookie or something me other condescending term.

I appreciate all of the data! I am packing for the irun to bilbao then oviedo on to santiago in late June and July. It seems from climate data that this route is much cooler than the Frances. This discussion got me thinking I need to revise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In midsummer this might be ok.
But in April, with wind and cold rain I'd be concerned it wouldn't be up to the task - both in terms of keeping water out and providing insulation.
When did you walk @JCarpenter ?
Good point.. I walked in mid summer. And I am thinking I will have to reconsider such things even though I am walking mid summer but the irun to bilbao stretch? Then on to the primitivo.

but the irun to bilbao stretch
That stretch can be really wet. A bit of a gamble, because apparantly the sun does shine there, and you might get lucky.

At least in midsummer it won't be cold - though the higher parts of the Primitivo might be.

I appreciate all of the data! I am packing for the irun to bilbao then oviedo on to santiago in late June and July. It seems from climate data that this route is much cooler than the Frances. This discussion got me thinking I need to revise.
For your time frame a pair of rain pants can go a long way. Even over shorts you can handle the temperatures for June and July usually. If you want to post what you are taking id be happy to go through it and toss out a few ideas. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For your time frame a pair of rain pants can go a long way. Even over shorts you can handle the temperatures for June and July usually. If you want to post what you are taking id be happy to go through it and toss out a few ideas. Good luck!
Thank you for input. I am considering a warmer camino. I also am wondering if some stretch of the Franc is important as a first time pilgrim husband. If even a part then the invierno...trying to make it the best route for him, but share a new route together.

Thank you for input. I am considering a warmer camino
Rainpants atop shorts are just a recipe for clammyness, and totally unnecessary in warmer times of year. Even when it's cooler, leggings and shorts - with gaiters if it's muddy - are warmer than damp pants and wet rainpants. In your shoes, I'd leave them behind. (Disclosure: I was a rainpants and jacket person for decades, very righteously and stubbornly so. But now I just pack an Altus, and leggings in cold weather. It's a perfect amount of protection from the elements, and much easier to manage on the fly.)

also am wondering if some stretch of the Franc is important as a first time pilgrim husband. If even a part then the invierno...trying to make it the best route for him, but share a new route together.
Maybe post a separate thread with this question. It's a big topic!

Rainpants atop shorts are just a recipe for clammyness, and totally unnecessary in warmer times of year. Even when it's cooler, leggings and shorts - with gaiters if it's muddy - are warmer than damp pants and wet rainpants. In your shoes, I'd leave them behind. (Disclosure: I was a rainpants and jacket person for decades, very righteously and stubbornly so. But now I just pack an Altus, and leggings in cold weather. It's a perfect amount of protection from the elements, and much easier to manage on the fly.)

Maybe post a separate thread with this question. It's a big topic!
@JCarpenter I disagree with the above but it’s good to get different opinions.

In June to July you don’t need leggings. You do need rain protection. Im not a poncho guy but don’t mind it as much in the summer. The problem with them is wind. The rain pants are great to block out some chill in the morning or strong winds. When your legs start to get clammy you can unzip them a bit or take them off. No clammines in a poncho but I’d rather not have to deal with the huge blowing trash bag with the coastal winds and summer storms on the Del Norte. If you’re not anticipating much wind, that would be the one time I’d consider a poncho.

I’d rather not have to deal with the huge blowing trash bag with the coastal winds and summer storms on the Del
An Altus is anything but a huge blowing trash bag; but yeah - if you go with a poncho don't go with the cheapo ones, which definitely are.

Just to be clear. I wouldn't take leggings in midsummer either. Just in colder times of the year.

4. Hat - wool beanie
  8. Extra insoles x 1

Dave, first, thank for all the detailed help you continually provide all of us.

A few questions. I know that fashion is not a concern on the camino but I see you don't have any regular shorts or pants. What do you do if you go to a restaurant in the evening or when you're travelling? Also, although I find running shorts comfortable, I like having lots of pockets so they don't work well for me.

Do you not carry a pair of lightweight sandals for evenings when you just want to get out of your shoes?

Your base layer bottom, is that not something that is normally worn under your shorts? If so, what do you do when the day warms up?

Dave, first, thank for all the detailed help you continually provide all of us.

A few questions. I know that fashion is not a concern on the camino but I see you don't have any regular shorts or pants. What do you do if you go to a restaurant in the evening or when you're travelling? Also, although I find running shorts comfortable, I like having lots of pockets so they don't work well for me.

Do you not carry a pair of lightweight sandals for evenings when you just want to get out of your shoes?

Your base layer bottom, is that not something that is normally worn under your shorts? If so, what do you do when the day warms up?
1. I wear my shorts to any restaurant that has a casual dress code, which are the typical places I prefer to eat. I wear shorts when flying. I wear shorts in the Louvre and Prada. I wear shorts when strolling around towns and villages. I wear shorts when visiting churches and cathedrals. My shorts hang to just above the knees and are a full/baggy cut, so they are not immodest.

There was one restaurant on the Frances that had a 'work casual' dress code which my son wanted to eat at. I ended up buying a cheap pair of pants and then leaving them at the albergue donation box. That was an exception, though.

2. My shorts typically have two large front pockets and smaller, zipped back pockets. The large capacity of my hipbelt pockets carry much of the ancillary 'stuff' that seems to accumulate during the day.

3. I find the shoes I wear to be perfectly comfortable, so I only bring one pair of footwear. I do bring two insoles, though. My Walking insoles are the replacements to the insoles which come with the shoes and are chosen for use while hiking or backpacking. My Spare insoles are those lightweight ones which come with the shoes.

After I reach my end-of-day lodging, I will remove the Walking insoles and set them aside. I wipe out the inside of the shoes, and then insert the Spare insoles. After showering and slathering my feet with alcohol or hand sanitizer, I will wash the 'dirty' socks and shorts and shirt. Then I will briefly lay down and relax on the bed.

After the brief rest, I put on clean socks and the shoes. I keep them loosely tied. (When walking, I have more tension to the laces but keep them looser for after walking activities). Then it is time to go out and wander around and look for a dinner spot.

4. My baselayer lowers are only worn if it is really cold or if rain is chilly. Then they are worn under the shorts. They get removed when things warm up.

When I finish a pilgrimage, I have a small bag or suitcase waiting for me with my tourist clothes, for any additional touring around Spain or the rest of Europe, and for the few days spent in SdC.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Alcohol or hand sanitizer on feet? That’s not something I’ve seen recommended before?

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback to my post here. One final point I wanted to ask: for a mid-/late-September hike of the Primitivo, would you recommend I bring a head lamp? If so, any brand you recommend?

Many of the new down jackets are treated and are fairly water resistant. They can be worn under your rain gear if it's cold and wet, or used as an outer layer when there is no threat of rain. I have a Montbell Superior Down Parka and I've worn it in drizzly conditions with no troubles. Total weight is only 8.7 oz's and they pack down small. Also handy for wearing at night if you don't have a sleeping bag and need some extra warmth. A puffy jacket is always in my pack. Down jacket over a merino wool top will get you through some pretty cool temps if you are moving.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Totally agree, I have a down vest which over woolen singlet and jumper is cosy as. It's relatively snug fit and easily goes under a waterproof shell. Woolen clothing is the best, even damp it is warm. Do not get sucked into all these modern "breathable" materials

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back