• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing in September

aliwalks

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
hello everyone, I am walking from Ponferrada starting September 8th, do I need long pants and also rain gear? Any help would be appreciated, buen camino Aliwalks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You need rain gear in Galicia unless you are prepared to get very wet. I would bring long trousers for warmth, to fend off wind and rain etc, unless you are not prone to getting cold (I am). Check out the temperatures in Galicia in previous years on wunderground or similar and compare to what you are used to, and remember to plan for the worst and hope for the best! Buen camino!

It will still be warm in early September, but higher elevations can be cool at night all year around. September is not real rainy, but it can rain. It rained eight days last September for a total of 2 inches of rain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You need rain gear in Galicia unless you are prepared to get very wet. I would bring long trousers for warmth, to fend off wind and rain etc, unless you are not prone to getting cold (I am). Check out the temperatures in Galicia in previous years on wunderground or similar and compare to what you are used to, and remember to plan for the worst and hope for the best! Buen camino!
Many thanks, Nidarosa!

It will still be warm in early September, but higher elevations can be cool at night all year around. September is not real rainy, but it can rain. It rained eight days last September for a total of 2 inches of rain.
Thank you Falcon, very much appreciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino aliwalks!

hello everyone, I am walking from Ponferrada starting September 8th, do I need long pants and also rain gear? Any help would be appreciated, buen camino Aliwalks

last year september in galicia and el bierzo were unusually very hot (close to 40C all the way through Galicia), however, days should be cooler, nights much cooler and the first of the rains should begin; so... bring shorts, trousers, t-shirts, a jumper and your rain gear. it will NOT get icy cold, so winter gear is probably not necessary, but yes, it could rain, and a lot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rain gear for sure and I brought zip-off trousers. They were great for the cooler mornings and I converted them to shorts after the first coffee stop.

No matter what month you walk, I'd have rain gear - at least a poncho -

Long pants?
That's up to you.
Joe walks in shorts, even in winter.

I haven't walked yet (leaving Aug. 30 - mid Oct) but have been getting gear ready for a few months. After much research, checking historical weather reports etc., researching the cites/towns I will be passing through , I have decided that I am just bringing an extremely light (one step up from garbage bag) plastic poncho and if/when it rains I will be able to purchase something more substantial if necessary. I also have the luxury of extra time so I can stay put someplace for a day or two if necessary. I am not buying things that have a one time use, for me it is wasteful and I know I will not ever use an Altus poncho again. I live in a rainforest and have 1/2 dozen rain jackets but none that are suitable for light travel and I do not want to invest in another one until it is necessary. Now, having said all that, I am looking at a trekking umbrella ... that would be useful no matter where I am, travelling or home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will most likely run into rain - sooner or later. You can either take a poncho (less weight) or take rain pants/jacket (and leave them along the Way:) The rain is unpredictable so being prepared is wise. I have an Altus poncho which is quite long and zips/buttons. The problem with it is you sweat while walking and add to that, humidity when it rains with not great ventilation and its a sauna. Next time I'm going to have the elastic removed from the sleeves and add buttons so I can open them for a bit of ventilation. To me, an umbrella is of more use in the sun unless you want to fly like Mary Poppins! Lol
Buen Camino!

Trekking umbrellas are made specifically for trekking with the winds that rain brings .. they are vented, made of durable materials, can pack down small. Flying like Mary Poppins may be a great bit of fun actually, but the outdoor/ trekking gear companies that make these umbrellas most likely take the wind factor into consideration. They don't cause you to sweat as you walk, they are very protective from both the rain and the sun, they can attach to your pack to free your hands and keep your pack dry as well (although I do have a pack cover) ... seems like a win win all the way around imho.

It is still very hot during the day so shorts are a good idea. However, if you try to avoid the midday heat and start early, it can be quite cold in the morning. So zip offs are a good idea and you will also need at least a light fleece to keep you warm - you can put on a number of layers and remove each one as the day heats up. I found gloves a real comfort when I started at 6.30 some mornings.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Trekking umbrellas are made specifically for trekking with the winds that rain brings .. they are vented, made of durable materials, can pack down small. Flying like Mary Poppins may be a great bit of fun actually, but the outdoor/ trekking gear companies that make these umbrellas most likely take the wind factor into consideration. They don't cause you to sweat as you walk, they are very protective from both the rain and the sun, they can attach to your pack to free your hands and keep your pack dry as well (although I do have a pack cover) ... seems like a win win all the way around imho.
Hello ShellsG. I am excited to hear that there is a "trekking umbrella". Where did you get yours? I am not concerned so much about the rain...very concerned about the sun. I have issues with the sun and the added protection may be just what I am looking for. Many thanks for any info, Lynn

Hello ShellsG. I am excited to hear that there is a "trekking umbrella". Where did you get yours? I am not concerned so much about the rain...very concerned about the sun. I have issues with the sun and the added protection may be just what I am looking for. Many thanks for any info, Lynn
There are a variety of companies that make them KLynn. I am looking at one from Sea to Summit today but thats only because it is more readily available to me. Innate makes a specific trekking umbrella. Helinox makes one. I can order from Amazon. ca or MEC etc. Most are available online. You will hear all the the reasons why umbrellas won't/can't work and rain gear does. My preference is leaning towards an umbrella

A review: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70506

and another: http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella

Tha
There are a variety of companies that make them KLynn. I am looking at one from Sea to Summit today but thats only because it is more readily available to me. Innate makes a specific trekking umbrella. Helinox makes one. I can order from Amazon. ca or MEC etc. Most are available online. You will hear all the the reasons why umbrellas won't/can't work and rain gear does. My preference is leaning towards an umbrella

A review: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70506

and another: http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella
Thanks for your speedy reply. I have a gift certificate for MEC so I will try them first. Thanks again. Lynn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a gift certificate for MEC so I will try them first.
With the MEC umbrellas, be sure to put it up and down a couple of times. Last year I was looking at one and the sales person pointed out how finicky it was to put down and stow away. As I recall, each spoke had to be individually folded.

With the MEC umbrellas, be sure to put it up and down a couple of times. Last year I was looking at one and the sales person pointed out how finicky it was to put down and stow away. As I recall, each spoke had to be individually folded.
C, Thank you for the heads up on the umbrella. Lynn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aliwalks I would recommend taking a little bit of everything during that time of year. It was so unpredictable for me last September-October and I was so happy that I brought long pants, shorts, long sleeves, and t-shirts. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.