• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing needed for May-June?

mr_clutch31

Hi, I plan to start on Frances around May 27. I was wondering what are suitable clothing I'd need to bring for a walk at that time. I've seen average temperatures and precipitation at that season but would like to know exactly what should I wear based on your expectations.

For now, I plan to wear a dry-fit short sleeved shirt, long hiking pants, and a water-proof jacket (very light). Would I need a fleece zip up to keep me warm?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Expect anything, but it quite possibly won't be as warm as you might be imagining for June. The Meseta lies at an altitude of 800m or so, so it can get cold there. You might strike a heatwave, or you might strike some bitterly cold winds for which a light fleece would not be sufficient. The easiest way to cope is with several light layers that you can add or remove easily.
Last June there was a day when a local shop sold a lot of fleeces to people who had not brought enough warm clothing with them!
Margaret

Mr Clutch...welcome!

Margaret has it down pat and you would do well to consider her recommendations.

On the topic of fleece(s).

I hiked in 40 degree weather with just a poly pro short sleeve and a fleece vest. When weather dictated...I either opened the fleece, took it off or added a wind breaker. As you hike along body heat keeps you warm as long as you continue to adjust your layers.

May I suggest that you check out the FAQ and Class of 2009 topics to see what else may be in the offing and whom may be walking the Camino at the same time.

Buen layering all the Way Camino
Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I would pack a couple pair of quick dry trail pants (ones that convert to shorts), 4 wicking shirts, waterproof and breathable pants/jacket, and a lightweight fleece. In addition to all the useful information in this forum, check out the Gear List page on my website for a full list of gear I used during my Camino in April. Buen Camino!

Usually you can expect a quite warm weather, but don't forget that sometimes it's possible to meet even snow in Foncebadon or Cebreiro. Wouldn't be the first time it happens, and this is being a quite cold and storming winter.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The responses are concerned with 'when walking' but let us not forget the nights in the refugios ... as a first-timer he most likely won't know what is expected in these gender mixed hostels. Even in hot weather it is not considered appropriate to walk around indoors in just t-shirts and shorts (or, heaven forbid, just underwear) - this is Catholic Spain and it is a Pilgrimage ... no, men - and foreign gentlemen in particular - are expected to dress modestly at all times.

Minimum requirements are a pair of plain flannel pyjamas for bed wear and a tartan dressing gown for moving around the hostel.

Some innovative gentleman are taking to wearing silk pyjamas to save weight but this is quite frowned upon in the more traditional areas of Spain! :shock:

As I have mentioned elsewhere last year, although the clothing is expected to be plain - this is a serious pilgrimage after all - one is allowed to express some individuality in choice of footwear (slippers are expected to be worn at all times) and moroccan tooled leather slip-ons were quite the thing a year or so ago.

finally, to do with the vexed bed-bug problem - a new type of pyjamas has appeared. These do seem to offer some protection but are so figure fitting that they are quite immodest. If you choose these you must keep your dressing gown done up at all times!

A bit of extra weight of course, but if it does become cold you can wear the dressing gown whilst walking along - very elegant! - some pics below.

I do hope that this helps :wink:

Attachments

• morroccan slippers.jpeg
    morroccan slippers.jpeg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • men's pyjamas.jpeg
    men's pyjamas.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,415
  • dressing gown.jpeg
    dressing gown.jpeg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,417
Oh - I forgot! here is a photo of the new anti bed-bug pyjamas ...

Attachments

• bed bug.jpeg
    bed bug.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,413
Hmmmm your 'pajamas' look very much like the body-suits we had to wear against box jellyfish on the Great Barrier Reef :eek:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And for the men a decent smoking jacket for the after dinner port and cigars whilst the ladies attend to the dishes

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You guys make me laugh out loud, esp. as I recall the troupes of Italian bikers, not all of them exactly "fit & trim," parading around the albergues in their tiny flourescent-colored skivvy underwear! They looked like boiled eggs with a rubber band ´round them, but no one said anything.

(I wore shorts and a t-shirt to bed.)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.