Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing suggestions for Camino Primitivo starting 2nd week of September

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
I'm trying to pack "smart" and not pack unnecessary gear and clothing.

As it relates to clothing, what would you recommend for the Camino Primitivo starting the in second week of September? I'm most in need of input for that first week in the mountains when the weather is so uncertain. Is it still going to be warmer during the day, or should I plan for clothes to accommodate cooler weather? (e.g., I often read that 2-3 pairs of tops and bottoms are recommended for the Primitivo - should they be all thin or medium-thick merino wool - 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No matter which route or what season you are walking, the rule is to go with several thin layers rather than fewer thick ones. You will need clothes for a significant range in possible weather. Just pile them all on when it is cold, and peel them off when it is warm. Be sure to have a top and bottom layer (and socks) that is kept dry for the evenings.

Gloves, hat and buff also provide good warmth and flexibility - start out in the morning with them on, if necessary, and simply remove them as appropriate while you walk.

So, a "normal" walking outfit, plus another thin layer to add (or insert) walking in cooler weather (remember that you generate heat as you walk), plus rain protection that can also keep you warm if an unusual cold spell hits you. That, plus your evening outfit and a down jacket or vest for chilly evenings, will cover most conditions you might expect. Take some lightweight long johns (base layer) if you want.

That combination should serve for three seasons on any Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really like having a silk base layer, top and bottom. It weighs very little. I’ve always gotten by with that, a long sleeve hiking shirt, a smart wool vest and and rain shell as layers for warmth. I bring one pair of warm wool socks, thin gloves, hat and ear band. Sometimes I replace the vest with a lightweight fleece jacket.

If it rains, mud is everywhere. So equipped with high and waterproof shoes.
Footwear is highly personal and there are many very contradictory opinions from people with great expertise and experience. Let me just point out that many of us would disagree with the recommendation to a newcomer to the Camino, to use high and waterproof footwear in September-October.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Footwear is highly personal and there are many very contradictory opinions from people with great expertise and experience. Let me just point out that many of us would disagree with the recommendation to a newcomer to the Camino, to use high and waterproof footwear in September-October.
Yup. Especially those of us who prefer sandals - much easier to clean off the mud, and quicker to dry.

I walked the Primitivo in late Sept. and early Nov. 2019 and wore long sleeve Capilene trail by Patagonia, I carried 2. They worked very well for me and I will continue wearing them for my next Camino.
I started each morning very cool which turned sweaty and sometimes chilled in short order from the climbs. At times I needed a fleece pullover early or in the evenings. Weather can change so I carried a puffy vest and a rain jacket that acted as a wind break and outer layer. Never used the vest. Rain, mist and drizzle in the high mountains are possible and in Galicia probable. The path is very rocky and filled with spree in places until you level out. I carried rain garters which I never wore, but wore light weight dirty girls garters each day which works well to keep rocks and spree out of your shoes or boots on every type of surface. Dirty Girls.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking sticks, your kit sounds good. I’m not sure where you’re from, and maybe “spree” is the correct word for small stones that are easy to slip on. I’ve always known it as “scree.”

I did the primitive walk in June 2018. It rained every day, the mud reached over my ankles and it was difficult to dry my shoes every night. For this reason I have recommended good equipment, especially in the fall.

I'm trying to pack "smart" and not pack unnecessary gear and clothing.

As it relates to clothing, what would you recommend for the Camino Primitivo starting the in second week of September? I'm most in need of input for that first week in the mountains when the weather is so uncertain. Is it still going to be warmer during the day, or should I plan for clothes to accommodate cooler weather? (e.g., I often read that 2-3 pairs of tops and bottoms are recommended for the Primitivo - should they be all thin or medium-thick merino wool - 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve.

Rain gear, hat and sleeping bag.

Everything else is optional based on your personal comfort zone.

Hospitales, if you take that option, can be cold and very windy. There will be some climbs and drops where temperature will fluctuate 10-15 degrees.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As you noted, anyone's guess as to what type of weather you'll get on the Primitivo. I just did it this past September and had mostly good weather, with just one day of rain from Lugo to Frerreira - the Hospitals route was a beautiful day. The coldest weather I had was in Galicia and not in the mountains of Asturias. Your suggestion of two tops (one long sleeve, one short), worked for me, + a rain jacket or light jacket/hoodie over that for the cooler mornings. I think the key is to be able to have some flexibility, without carrying too much.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back