• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Who knows, is the unhelpful but accurate answer to this question. Are you more used to warm or cool climate living? What would you wear hiking in your own climate? Its 500 miles to Santiago from StJdP and you will walk at elevations varying from near sea-level to near 1500 metres.

The historical climate date for all the regions of the Camino Frances is available here: http://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos

By late September days can still be very warm and evenings cool. Comfortable walking temperatures are not the same as comfortable evening temperatures. I take a down jacket for my own comfort in the evenings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
According to the weather reports this summer and into the beginning of fall extremely hot weather is predicted throughout Europe, with the hottest temperatures in the Iberian peninsula. The reports are predicting highs to be into the low 40's Celcius. I would follow this very closely before you go so you pack as little as possible. If the weather is as hot as predicted you certainly will not need anything. If hopefully it cools down you can always buy something along the way.
This is from the Accuweather webpage:
The hottest locations throughout Portugal and Spain will see multi-day heat waves with temperatures peaking at or above 43 C (110 F).

Europe AP2 8/3

A man cools off in an urban beach at Madrid Rio park in Madrid, Friday, Aug. 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

Unseasonably warm nights will also be a concern during these heat waves, making for dangerous conditions as homes without air conditioning that will be unable to cool down before heat builds again the following day.

It will be important for residents and visitors to take extra care in the heat to prevent illness. Drinking plenty of water, spending time in the shade and wearing light clothing will be necessary.

When possible, strenuous outdoor activity should be avoided during the hottest part of the day.

Stagnant conditions contributing to the intense heat will also result in poor air quality, especially in and near cities. Air quality may also be worsened by smoke from wildfires.

Children, the elderly and those with respiratory or cardiovascular health conditions should avoid spending time outside as much as possible when air quality alerts are issued.

Wildfires to threaten Spain, Portugal and the Alps

The intense heat waves and long spells of dry weather throughout the summer will bring a high risk for wildfires to much of western and central Europe.

The areas at greatest risk will be from northern Portugal into northern Spain and from the Alps into Germany and Czech Republic.

A wet winter and spring across much of western and central Europe will result in more vegetation than in previous years.

However, as dry weather prevails early in the summer, the stage will be set for a high wildfire risk during the second half of the season.

Portugal wildfires 2017 - AP Photo

Villagers watch a firefighting plane drop water to stop a raging forest fire reaching their houses just a few dozen meters away in the village of Chao de Codes, near Macao, central Portugal, Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Armando Franca)

The Iberian Peninsula will be at risk first due to building heat in June combined with little or no rainfall.

The threat will spread northeastward across France and into the Alps, Germany and the rest of central Europe from July into August.

This threat is likely to continue into autumn as the dry vegetation and warm weather persist.

"Drought will be an increasing concern across these areas from late summer into autumn, stressing agriculture and water supplies for the second straight year in many locations," Roys said.

Just a word of precaution.

I was on the CF in September/October last year. Who knows what the exact weather will be this year but like others already suggested: go for layering! It will be still hot during the day but cooler in the early mornings and in the evening. I took one long sleeve and a fleece jacket with me, additionally also a rain jacket. Looking back, a rain jacket and either a long sleeve or a fleece would have been enough. Buen Camino:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.