• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, I have a little Camino experience (SJPDP TO Santiago 2016, Roncesvalles to Burgos 2017, and Porto to Santiago last year) so shouldn't really have to ask this; but here goes.
I normally carry 2 spare sets of waking shirts/tops but wondered if I only 'need' them just because I have them with me.
Considering dropping to 1 spare set, but wondering if I'll regret this if can't get laundry dry if the weather turns . .
Over to you 🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my rather light pack (below 4kg), i did carry a spare t-shirt, a spare longsleeve and a very light button down shirt (and 2x socks and undies). Together with my insulation jacket and rain jacket this gives me a wide variety of layering options for different weather conditions as well as a certain amount of redundancy should something not get completely dry. Worst case szenario would be me sitting in nothing more than the rain jacket and a pair of trouser in front of a tumble dryer waiting for the rest of my clothing. Luckily it has not come that far yet.
To make that work and still be reasonable light, i did chose the individual items with lots of emphasis on their weight.

edit: and of course a second trouser is also in my pack.

Maybe it depends which camino you are planning on doing and which months you are planning to go? Would there be machine wash/dry available - useful to do this every once in a while or when it's raining all afternoon and you won't get any direct sunlight.

I found with merino tshirts, I don't need to wash them daily. They are really very quick drying and anti-smell/anti-bacterial (I looked this up, the official line is: "Merino wool doesn't give sweat the opportunity to develop bacteria because of how effectively it wicks the moisture away from your body") But I always wash my undies daily and they were always dry the next morning, even if just hung indoors! My trousers and socks take longer to dry. Socks are also merino wool and I don't wash them daily either! In fact I was very impressed that I didn't need to wash everything all that often.

So, do you need 1 spare set or 2? Depends how much you sweat, which season you're walking, whether you're getting a lot of rain or sunshine, availability of machine wash/dry, etc.

But definitely invest in merino if you can. Then you will definitely need less clothing to pack!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last summer I had a dress (evening and sleepwear) and scarf, one merino t-shirt and one pair capri cargo pants for walking, along with a board skort and tank top to wear for swimming, hiking or looking like a summer tourist. I also take a long sleeved Columbia PFG shirt to protect me from the sun. So I have essentially 3 changes of clothes. I could ditch the dress or the tank and skirt without any worry, but they are lightweight and I wear all three outfits.

You cannot "need" more than two sets of clothes (wear one, wash one), except for warmth or rain. So I would ask if your third set provides any additional function other than variety.

I have 1 set of evening/night clothes that stay somewhat clean, and one set of walking clothes that can be somewhat dirty. I wash when they need it and conditions are suitable.

You cannot "need" more than two sets of clothes (wear one, wash one), except for warmth or rain. So I would ask if your third set provides any additional function other than variety.

I have 1 set of evening/night clothes that stay somewhat clean, and one set of walking clothes that can be somewhat dirty. I wash when they need it and conditions are suitable.
I would say that yes you can need more than 2 sets of clothes, depending on when you are walking. If walking during one of the shoulder seasons you might need a couple of extra pieces to layer. I found walking in September and October to be slightly challenging, I needed to buy an extra jacket and hiking pants along the way because it was quite chilly in the early mornings and afternoons. Wearing my merino tank, merino tshirt and merino long sleeve shirt under my merino zip hoodie were not enough to keep me warm!

I'm making my gear/clothing lists for my Caminos in September and October and I am already annoyed I have to pack for hot Portugal in September and cooler northern Spain at the end of October lol

All that said: bring only what you need

*I need to buy stock in merino wool or clothing lol

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If walking during one of the shoulder seasons you might need a couple of extra pieces to layer.
I did say "except for warmth or rain." I have only walked in the shoulder seasons, when I need to be prepared for anything, so I do have items to layer.

That is why I don't go by the "wear one, wash one" model. What is more important is how all the articles layer together for different circumstances. In planning, start with one typical walking outfit and then start adding pieces necessary to suit the different circumstances. Avoid duplication unless you really might wear both items at once.

Hi all, I have a little Camino experience (SJPDP TO Santiago 2016, Roncesvalles to Burgos 2017, and Porto to Santiago last year) so shouldn't really have to ask this; but here goes.
I normally carry 2 spare sets of waking shirts/tops but wondered if I only 'need' them just because I have them with me.
Considering dropping to 1 spare set, but wondering if I'll regret this if can't get laundry dry if the weather turns . .
Over to you 🙂
I like carrying two spare sets of clothes for just the reason you mention. If I want to skip a day of laundry, if the laundry doesn't dry, if I want to wear something different (button up shirt instead of T-shirt style). I haven't had too much problem with this extra weight (I try to keep my clothing items light).

But I know a lot of folks like to walk with just one spare set of clothes and do so quite successfully.

Myself, I think the difference in weight of one shirt isn't earth shattering, but I also read of people who cut the tags off their clothes and drill holes in their toothbrushes to save weight, so a little bit means a real lot to some.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Over to you 🙂
One on, one off and an extra base-layer. It’s not a fashion show. Most synthetics and light merino will dry overnight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My vote is definitely a spare set. I have had few Caminos when I walked for days and days in the rain. Even if you have to get up and put on semi-damp clothes, it is better than wearing wet, stinky clothes that you have worn under your poncho for several days. You look like a wet dog and smell even worse.

Worst case szenario would be me sitting in nothing more than the rain jacket and a pair of trouser in front of a tumble dryer waiting for the rest of my clothing.
Been there, done that except had rain jacket and rain pants on instead of trousers in the rainy humid season when nothing dried over night, and likely accumulated more water..😊 2 walking shirts and pants. 3 underwear & socks. One evening/sleep shirt.

I like carrying two spare sets of clothes for just the reason you mention. If I want to skip a day of laundry, if the laundry doesn't dry, if I want to wear something different (button up shirt instead of T-shirt style). I haven't had too much problem with this extra weight (I try to keep my clothing items light).

But I know a lot of folks like to walk with just one spare set of clothes and do so quite successfully.

Myself, I think the difference in weight of one shirt isn't earth shattering, but I also read of people who cut the tags off their clothes and drill holes in their toothbrushes to save weight, so a little bit means a real lot to some.
😅

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In my rather light pack (below 4kg), i did carry a spare t-shirt, a spare longsleeve and a very light button down shirt (and 2x socks and undies). Together with my insulation jacket and rain jacket this gives me a wide variety of layering options for different weather conditions as well as a certain amount of redundancy should something not get completely dry. Worst case szenario would be me sitting in nothing more than the rain jacket and a pair of trouser in front of a tumble dryer waiting for the rest of my clothing. Luckily it has not come that far yet.
To make that work and still be reasonable light, i did chose the individual items with lots of emphasis on their weight.

edit: and of course a second trouser is also in my pack.

Knowing how you value useability and lightness, this is a reply that I think underscores a valid point: The lighter the layers, the more layers the OP can include as 'extra sets' of clothing and still maintain a lighter backpack.

To the OP: Ounces/grams add up to Pounds/kilos, and Pounds/Kilos equal pain. For more energy reserves, an ability to enjoy the walk more, being able to focus on your surroundings rather than shoulders and hips and back discomfort, the lighter, the better. And where budget is concerned and all things are equal, when considering choices, the lightest item wins.

From Spring to late Fall, maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- Running shorts with liner
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- zPacks or Frogg Toggs Ultralite Poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds/1.54 Kg
The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long-sleeved synthetic shirt.

All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for pointing out it's not a fashion show . . . I had no idea😉🙃
Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get the general idea in time.

Anyway; passing my house two days ago was the great British institution ‘Speedo Mick’; demonstrating that the ‘one off and the extra base layer’ are simply not needed. This is in February in northern England.

My husband always complains that his clothes are bigger and therefore weigh more...
This is true, but if two people have the same BMI but one is taller, then the clothes of the taller one are a smaller percentage of their body weight.

Last edited:
Over to you 🙂
I brought 1 extra pair of slacks and a extra shirt, I never felt the need for a 3rd set. My clothing was all quick drying so there was no problem.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Considering dropping to 1 spare set

@Frankybaby66, your focus seems to be on washing.

Warmth can be a consideration. Nights possibly more than Day time.

My layers are:
  • 2 x short sleeve
  • 1 x long sleeve
  • 1 x rain/wind proof "parka" with hood
That gives me a good mix and match, especially on wet or windy days.

Also consider a rotation. On arrival, dress for the night/next day. That way you can wash what you have just taken off and not be too fussed if it isn't quite dry when leaving.

I prefer merino as synthetics create a heat build up for me.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Over to you 🙂
My wife and I carry one extra long sleeved nylon, buttoned shirt with a collar and extra light weight nylon pants. Our main objective is to have dry clean clothes available at the end of the day when the day clothes are drying after washing. On those infrequent mornings when they are not completely dry, they dry quickly when we wear them.. I also usually bring a short sleeved nylon buttoned shirt to sleep in. It adds little weight, and really isn’t necessary. I’ve worn both pants when the temperatures and wind require extra warmth. When it has been down around freezing (and snowing) we put on rain pants. You also have quite a bit of solid experience. I’m curious about whether there were specific conditions when you did use both extra sets of clothing.

@Frankybaby66, your focus seems to be on washing.

Warmth can be a consideration. Nights possibly more than Day time.

My layers are:
  • 2 x short sleeve
  • 1 x long sleeve
  • 1 x rain/wind proof "parka" with hood
That gives me a good mix and match, especially on wet or windy days.

Also consider a rotation. On arrival, dress for the night/next day. That way you can wash what you have just taken off and not be too fussed if it isn't quite dry when leaving.

I prefer merino as synthetics create a heat build up for me.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
Yes and no, the clothes I bring are quick dry so for the lost part I give them a quick wash in the sink, hang them on my bunk and they are dry in the morning. This was done during a wet spring.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.