• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clubs Taurins Paul Ricard?

Scarlet Fez

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2017, Del Norde 2018
Hi all, I'm after picking some of your local Basque knowledge and linguistic skills. I am from a rugby background and have shared some great social moments with my rugby brothers and sisters from the Biarritz area. During one of these occasions I was given bandana or neckerchief with a bull head emblem and 'Club Taurins Paul Ricard' on it. I was of the opinion that this was a Basque symbol and yes I thought it was connected to their traditions of bull fighting etc.
I head of on my Camino on 15/09 at St Jean and I was considering personalising my pack by tying this to it but having tried to research it in line my French is poor but probably better than my Spanish. Ignorance is no excuse, as although I would like it to be a sign of my appreciation of all things Basque I do not want to in any way upset anyone that don't appreciate certain local traditions.
So in short I will take it but not openly display it. I think it is like an association of different towns Socities or Clubs that very much support their traditions, Could someone please clarify this as I would love to know for definite what it represented especially walking along the Frances route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Taurins comes from the Latin taurus = bull, Paul Ricard I only know as a brand of Pastis.

As we/I combining here local spirit with bulls we/I might tip-toe the forum rules line rather closely. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ok, see where your both coming from, the Bull festivals in different towns and see Cities are sponsored by Local Spirit in a similar way that football is sponsored by certain bank and Eurpean rugby was sponsored by a beer originating in Holland. Those brands understandably can't be mentioned on the forum. I apologise if this is inappropriate that being said is it any different from me saying I recommend Backpack made by A or trek boots by B?
Moderators please remove if deemed inappropriate but it was a genuine request to learn about what is clearly Basque culture.

Katarina thanks for that not sure if this is relevant but I was a number of years ago at the European Rugby Cup final in Paris which was played between Biarritz and Toulouse. We were befriended by many from Biarritz and taken to Basque bar/restaurant which was hosting huge amounts of Biarritz rugby fans. The described bandana etc was openly displayed on both Biarritz club banners and flags etc. Having been given it by a Biarritz friend along with his club shirt I have been mistakenly thought there was more Basque significance than I originally thought.
Well you learn something new every day. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My red scarf is emblazoned with the number "64" inside a circle. I am proud to wear it anywhere in Pays Basque, 64 is the designation for our department: the Pyrenees Atlantiques and we are fierce in our support of our Sud Ouest culture. Ricard is connected with Provence, their beverage of choice, but there are many of friends who drink it regularly in Biarritz. No worries!

Lets just raise a glass of Pastis to each other and ignore sports and bulls ;-) Replace Pastis with your favourite glass of something if Pastis is not available to you and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.