• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clunia on the way to Quintanarraya

peregrina2000

Staff member
I discovered on our virtual planning thread that there are some roman ruins about 3.5 km from Quintanarraya. A little googling showed me that it's the Roman city of Clunia. But a search on the Lana forum didn't bring up any mention of Clunia (a few in the Francés talking about a possible detour from Burgos, but nothing in the Lana). I know the word amazing is quite overused (particularly by me) but take a look at the website and judge for yourself.

A visit is complicated by the fact that the day to Quintanarraya from San Esteban de Gormaz is about 32 or 33, and then the ruins are another 3.5 km each way. That pushes it close to 40 km, even though those last 7 could be without backpack.

Combining wikiloc with google maps, it looks to me like a detour from the Lana is possible in Hinojar del Rey, direct to Clunia, and then walking into Quintanarraya. That would be a 36 km day.

Summer visiting hours (starting in April) are 4pm-8 pm, which would make for a very late arrival into Quintanarraya. But I'm assuming that would not be a problem since I will have to connect with the albergue ahead of time no matter what time I arrive.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the visit, or any tips from anyone who remembers that stage and may have some other tips, like a posible earlier cut-off at Alcubilla de Avenalleda, which I have been unable to find.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I discovered on our virtual planning thread that there are some roman ruins about 3.5 km from Quintanarraya. A little googling showed me that it's the Roman city of Clunia. But a search on the Lana forum didn't bring up any mention of Clunia (a few in the Francés talking about a possible detour from Burgos, but nothing in the Lana). I know the word amazing is quite overused (particularly by me) but take a look at the website and judge for yourself.

A visit is complicated by the fact that the day to Quintanarraya from San Esteban de Gormaz is about 32 or 33, and then the ruins are another 3.5 km each way. That pushes it close to 40 km, even though those last 7 could be without backpack.

Combining wikiloc with google maps, it looks to me like a detour from the Lana is possible in Hinojar del Rey, direct to Clunia, and then walking into Quintanarraya. That would be a 36 km day.

Summer visiting hours (starting in April) are 4pm-8 pm, which would make for a very late arrival into Quintanarraya. But I'm assuming that would not be a problem since I will have to connect with the albergue ahead of time no matter what time I arrive.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the visit, or any tips from anyone who remembers that stage and may have some other tips, like a posible earlier cut-off at Alcubilla de Avenalleda, which I have been unable to find.
We went to Clunia in September 2022 but by taxi from Huerta de Rey. The site is quite large and we spent an hour, walking about 2 kilometres wandering around the sights. I would rate it "not to be missed" for those interested in Roman ruins.

We went to Clunia in September 2022 but by taxi from Huerta de Rey. The site is quite large and we spent an hour, walking about 2 kilometres wandering around the sights. I would rate it "not to be missed" for those interested in Roman ruins.
Well, this is a great idea. I could walk from San Esteban to Huerta Del Rey , which would also be a 36 km day. Then the visit to the ruins would take place after I had showered and washed clothes, which is always a lot nicer.

Bombero, did the taxi wait for you while you visited the ruins? Is the Taxi right in Huerta Del Rey ? Did you walk from San Esteban that day? Sorry that I have so many questions, but this is a great idea!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed at
Well, this is a great idea. I could walk from San Esteban to Huerta Del Rey , which would also be a 36 km day. Then the visit to the ruins would take place after I had showered and washed clothes, which is always a lot nicer.

Bombero, did the taxi wait for you while you visited the ruins? Is the Taxi right in Huerta Del Rey ? Did you walk from San Esteban that day? Sorry that I have so many questions, but this is a great idea!
We stayed at Hostal Camino del Cid (recommended). The owners Vivi and Mayaka arranged to/from Clunia.

Not sure if this works: Walk from San Estaban to Quintanarraya. Stay overnight in Quintanarraya. Walk to Clunia next day, and then, after visiting Clunia, walk back via Quinatanaraya to Huerta de Rey to stay the night, then next day on to Domingo de Silos. Huerta de Rey looked like a nice little town with lots of hotels and restaurants, as opposed to Quinatanarraya which has nothing.

I was just about to say as Dick: Quintanarraya is small and there is only the albergue and the local bar. It is better to walk on to Huerta de Rey where there is more facilities, to stay the night. There is at least the hostal Camino del Cid, and the cheap Casa rural La Tejera. In la Tejera I payed 20 euros, don't know about now. Supermercados and restaurants. I walked from San Esteban to Huerta de Rey on my second Lana and as the last kms are totally flat on a nice country road there was no problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was just about to say as Dick: Quintanarraya is small and there is only the albergue and the local bar. It is better to walk on to Huerta de Rey where there is more facilities, to stay the night. There is at least the hostal Camino del Cid, and the cheap Casa rural La Tejera. In la Tejera I payed 20 euros, don't know about now. Supermercados and restaurants. I walked from San Esteban to Huerta de Rey on my second Lana and as the last kms are totally flat on a nice country road there was no problem.
Sadly no longer even the local bar in Quintanarraya, unless they've re-opened it. Even the albergue has no cooking facilities.

Sadly no longer even the local bar in Quintanarraya, unless they've re-opened it. Even the albergue has no cooking facilities.

Was that a Covid thing, or do you know if it is permanently closed?

Then it is so obvious that pushing on tho Huerta de Rey is the better option IMO...

Was that a Covid thing, or do you know if it is permanently closed?

Then it is so obvious that pushing on tho Huerta de Rey is the better option IMO...
Covid may have dealt it the death blow, but it was closed last May (post pandemic) and the mayor who opened up the albergue for us didn't hold out any hope that it would re-open. Sad, because it was part of the local social centre and I think it just closed through lack of business.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back