• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cluny vs. Geneva

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Hi All

Trying to decide whether to do Cluny or Geneva to Le Puys. From there we will head to SJPP

We are early 60's, seasoned walkers

I have heard Geneva is "harder" and that Cluny is not only easier but has beautiful quaint villages and is basically prettier...on paper they look similar - pretty villages, elevation changes etc

Once in a lifetime so any insights into what makes one "different" (as better can be subjective) would be good). Some factors/criteria for us are - elevation, beauty, distances between towns, ability to get water, & food, way-marks, etc.

Lastly - any reco's either route where one would stop for a rest day would be nice, particularly if there was something to see vs. just sitting in a very small town chilling...these boots were made for walking! If there are no places as such, we will rest in Le Puys

I have passable French and we plan this to be an assisted walk so we want this investment to be the best it can

Thank you all so much in advance!
Sanman

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will meet very few pilgrims on the route from Cluny.
BC SY

Hi All

Trying to decide whether to do Cluny or Geneva to Le Puys. From there we will head to SJPP

We are early 60's, seasoned walkers

I have heard Geneva is "harder" and that Cluny is not only easier but has beautiful quaint villages and is basically prettier...on paper they look similar - pretty villages, elevation changes etc

Once in a lifetime so any insights into what makes one "different" (as better can be subjective) would be good). Some factors/criteria for us are - elevation, beauty, distances between towns, ability to get water, & food, way-marks, etc.

Lastly - any reco's either route where one would stop for a rest day would be nice, particularly if there was something to see vs. just sitting in a very small town chilling...these boots were made for walking! If there are no places as such, we will rest in Le Puys

I have passable French and we plan this to be an assisted walk so we want this investment to be the best it can

Thank you all so much in advance!
Sanman
Hello @Sanman ,
We walked from Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay last year. We're also in our early 60's, and although we're not particularly fit, we didn't find the Gebennensis hard. We haven't walked the way from Cluny, so can't objectively compare towns and villages, but we did go through some nice places, and along the Rhone Valley there are some great views.
Just like for the way from Cluny, you won't meet many pilgrims.
Bon Chemin!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
we plan this to be an assisted walk
Unless you have arranged private support, I'm not sure how you plan to do this, since there is not a luggage transfer service on either the Geneva or Cluny routes.

Both routes have fewer walkers than either the Le Puy or the Camino Frances, but you will find at least a few walkers on the Geneva route. I'm not sure you will, on the Cluny. Also, to your point about accommodation, since there are more walkers on the Geneva route, there is more accommodation. The two factors go together.

You will meet very few pilgrims on the route from Cluny.
BC SY
Thx - meeting few Pilgrims is fine, i will see a few from Le Puys to SJPP, more interested in the route itself than how many are walking. Appreciate the heads up though

Unless you have arranged private support, I'm not sure how you plan to do this, since there is not a luggage transfer service on either the Geneva or Cluny routes.

Both routes have fewer walkers than either the Le Puy or the Camino Frances, but you will find at least a few walkers on the Geneva route. I'm not sure you will, on the Cluny. Also, to your point about accommodation, since there are more walkers on the Geneva route, there is more accommodation. The two factors go together.
Thx Kitsambler - CaminoWays and others supports both routes with luggage transfers and accommodation

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello @Sanman ,
We walked from Geneva to Le Puy-en-Velay last year. We're also in our early 60's, and although we're not particularly fit, we didn't find the Gebennensis hard. We haven't walked the way from Cluny, so can't objectively compare towns and villages, but we did go through some nice places, and along the Rhone Valley there are some great views.
Just like for the way from Cluny, you won't meet many pilgrims.
Bon Chemin!
Thx AJ - appreciate the feedback - good to know it's walkable...i kinda like the idea of starting in a different country! We will to see if anyone has walked Cluny recently and has feedback!

How many days did you take?

Thx AJ - appreciate the feedback - good to know it's walkable...i kinda like the idea of starting in a different country! We will to see if anyone has walked Cluny recently and has feedback!

Bonjour Sandman
I walked Cluny to Le Puy en Velay in 2018.
I started from Cluny on 31/5 and arrived in Le Puy on 11/6.I used the "Orange Guide"
which can be purchased from "Les Amis de St Jacques Rhone-Alpes.This is an excellent
publication which also lists the accomodation available along the way.I choose to stay in a mixture of hotels and ch.d' hotes.There are also Accueils Jacquaires.I met other pilgrims on the way.
I have also walked from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay in 2012 and 2016 .I enjoyed both routes .I regret not having started in Taizé which is not too far away ,about 10 Kms? from Cluny.
Bon chemin

Thx so much Mournes - that seems like a fast walk 12 days? Are you young or just very fit!?

Any preference for either route? Can you share any pros or cons or differences - elevation, time to walk it, beauty etc. Anything to help guide the decision would be appreciated...we plan to have the small hotels B&B's booked ahead of time.

My wife and i have never been to Geneva, that sounds interesting but the Casmino company I'm talking to is suggesting that Cluny might be slightly easier and prettier...but they are not pushing one route over another

It's great to meet someone who has dome both. (and why did you wish you had started in Taize? And thanks for the Orange Guide reco will buy it)

Thx again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

@Sanman , we averaged 16km per day, and it took us 23 days. We're slow walkers :)

Thx so much Mournes - that seems like a fast walk 12 days? Are you young or just very fit!?

Any preference for either route? Can you share any pros or cons or differences - elevation, time to walk it, beauty etc. Anything to help guide the decision would be appreciated...we plan to have the small hotels B&B's booked ahead of time.

My wife and i have never been to Geneva, that sounds interesting but the Casmino company I'm talking to is suggesting that Cluny might be slightly easier and prettier...but they are not pushing one route over another

It's great to meet someone who has dome both. (and why did you wish you had started in Taize? And thanks for the Orange Guide reco will buy it)

Thx again!
Sorry Sanman for not replying sooner but I have just seen your response.Age for me is just a number but since you have asked I am in the 60 plus age bracket,in good health,have walked a lot in France and Spain and I am very fit.
My preference would be the route from Geneva to Le Puy which I walked both times in 15 days.For this route I used the "Yellow Guide"from Les Amis de St Jacques Rhône/ Alpes.On this route I stayed in the "Accueils Jacquaires" and Gîtes which were excellent.
The first time I stayed in Geneva with a friend and the second I took the train from Lyon to Geneva and just walked over the border into France since I was familiar with the route.
The yellow guide lists the altitude of each village or town on the route. The highest altitudes are in the Haute Loire as you are heading towards Le Puy and the views are stunning.
The highest elevation on the Cluny route is in the Dept de La Loire just before Le Puy.The Orange guide lists the elevation for each stage.
It is not my intention to put you off but on the Cluny route I saw a lot of signs warning about the prevalence of ticks in the area.I was fortunate that I didn't attract any but I met pilgrims who did.I am not saying the Geneva route is tick free but I didn't see any warning signs there.
Whichever route you choose I hope you have great weather and a great time.The address for the guides is
M Dominique Montvenoux
7 Rue Bernard Vallot
F69500 BRON
FRANCE
Email:guides@amis-st-jacques.org
Best Wishes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thx Mournes! Alas we have booked Cluny...Camino Ways our company suggested it was a little prettier, more quaint...so we will see.
Thx very much for the tick heads up - we will be careful...they are ubiquitous so we will do our best. I think we are doing 16 days, we too are in our 60's and i think we are pretty fit (we did the West Highland Way in 6 days and that tested our mettle).
We are planning a rest day in Le Puys then we head to SJPP and maybe a little more - estimating 1100 km this time round so it should be "an adventure"!
We're hoping a mid April start in Cluny treats us well, we just don't like walking in heat so we're planning on finishing early June to hopefully escape the worst of it
Did you have any trouble getting food or water? (we can carry 2 liters in our day pack so hoping thats enough if its hard to come by)
Really appreciate all the advice and insights

There is always a problem in France with food (I know - go figure). There are two specific issues: (1) small town markets and bakeries are closing due to depopulation, and (2) Sunday-Monday (plus whatever day I appear) closings of the remaining supply points. This is less a problem on the Geneva than the Le Puy routes, as the towns are larger. I cant advise on the Cluny route. Bottom line: one must plan ahead, and plan to carry about a kilo of foodstuff with you.

Thx Mournes! Alas we have booked Cluny...Camino Ways our company suggested it was a little prettier, more quaint...so we will see.
Thx very much for the tick heads up - we will be careful...they are ubiquitous so we will do our best. I think we are doing 16 days, we too are in our 60's and i think we are pretty fit (we did the West Highland Way in 6 days and that tested our mettle).
We are planning a rest day in Le Puys then we head to SJPP and maybe a little more - estimating 1100 km this time round so it should be "an adventure"!
We're hoping a mid April start in Cluny treats us well, we just don't like walking in heat so we're planning on finishing early June to hopefully escape the worst of it
Did you have any trouble getting food or water? (we can carry 2 liters in our day pack so hoping thats enough if its hard to come by)
Really appreciate all the advice and insights
Hi Sanman
The "Orange Guide" lists all the services available in each little village and town on the way from Cluny.It is a very accurate guide as it is based on local knowledge from the members of the friends of St Jacques who actually live there.Your host in whichever accomodation you are staying can advise you as to whether shops are open or not.
Personally from my experience as a pilgrim and a volunteer in France I have never had any problem finding food or water.Water which is potable/ safe to drink is freely available to all in French cemeteries.
Thanks to 'Les Amis de St Jacques Rhône/ Alpes" for providing their guides be it yellow,red or 🍊 they are an invaluable source of local information.
Don't worry Sanman you will not starve in France!!!
Bon Chemin et Bon Courage

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Geneve to Le Puy trail, taking my time (using both Miam Miam and German guides as well as the orange jacquiare guide) - I think i did it in 17 or 18 days, though I could have done in a day or so less, had I wanted to. As always for me, the first couple of days were hard, but after that, it was not all that difficult. Surprisingly, as pretty a walk as it is, I met very few hikers on this trail, and those I met were mainly from Switzerland and Germany - I guess most French walkers start in Le Puy (and many end at Conques). I've never walked from Cluny, but I have done the Le Puy to Spain walk and Geneve to Le Puy and, while not as long, is a very beautiful walk, and overall, the locals are quite friendly (especially in Haute Savoie and Savoie). I strongly recommend this stroll. The wine is the great (both in Savoie and the Cotes de Rhone, and especially the (pricey, but a must) Condrieu). You won't meet a lot of folks, but based on your posts, that is not a show stopper, and those you will meet are overall quite friendly. There are some dogs to contend with in one or two villages, but don't let that stop you - bon courage!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back