• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coast to Granada ( not from Malaga )

omicko

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances,
May 1999 and others.
Hola todos, i would like information on any paths from the coast near Almunecar, Motril or its surroundings that i could walk to Granada and then continue on the Camino Mozarabe.
The Almunecar/Motril area seems the nearest coastal point to Granada. Lanjaron would probably be a good place to reach because i have walked in this area but i am open to any suggestions. Gracias Omicko.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Where are you starting? I would suggest Salobreña-Guájares, Pinos del Valle-Restábal-Cónchar-Dúrcal-Ermita Vieja-Dílar (you actually turn off before Dílar and take a bridge to cross the river) Gójar - La Zubia - Cájar - Granada.

If you need further information, the hiking club "La verea" usually does Salobreña-Churriana every year, or if you need any help from Dúrcal to Granada, do not hesitate to ask, I live in Durcal and know the area quite well (and I speak Spanish too).

Saludos

Hi, I just caught up on this thread. I'm leaving from Almunecar in the next couple of days and had originally planned to go up over lentejin to Albunuelas and onward. Do you think the Salobrena-pinos del valle route is a better one? Accommodation wise it looks like it might be.

Appreciate your advice, thankyou in advance.

Paula Constant
http://www.constanttrek.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad to see this information here. I'm in Amunecar, visiting friends now, and am interested in starting my Camino from here. I've mapped out the list of places that Amacio suggests above, and it looks quite doable over the course of 3 or 4 days. However, I wonder if I should simply get my official start from a place that is more established for pilgrims. I don't have a tent and have even jettisoned my sleeping pad in a attempt to lighten my load. (is this foolish?) So, I'd like to know that I can find a place to stay overnights. Any suggestions?
Oh, one more thing. I'm planning on using my time in the next few weeks before I start to learn spanish. I could simply continue with my Rosetta Stone program or attend an official school. Any suggestions?

there should be good Spanish learning places in Almuñecar, it is a fairly large town (and it is a lovely place too!)

I am not 100% sure what the best route would be from the coast to Granada, but I would say your best bet is

Almuñécar-Molvizar-Guajar Faraguit-Pinos del Valle-Restabal-

and then you would have two choices:

1) Melegis-Murchas - Durcal-Dilar crossing over Ermita Vieja (1400 meter abose sea level, with astonishing views to Granada city and the mountains of Sierra Nevada, more strenous, but a nice stretch

2) Melegís-Cónchar-Padul-Dilar, along the course of River Durcal, then crossing the wetlands in Laguna de Padul, and following a flat route to Dilar

Then, it is Dilar-Gojar-La Zubia-Granada

There should be some accommodation in most places (not sure about Molvízar or Guajar Faraguit)

As a reference, Durcal-Granada is 30 km over the mountains, and I would say Almuñécar-Dúrcal is doable in 3-4 days (I cannot help using Durcal as a reference, it is my home place!)

whenever you are set to go, do contact me and I will try to walk with you for some stretch of the way.

Paula Constant did this route and wrote a blog, she should have more information if you want, in the meantime, you can find some information about her Camino here

http://www.constanttrek.com/?s=Durcal

You might be able to contact her through her web site, she is a nice, friendly girl.

Buen camino, amigo!

Thank you so much for your reply Amacio. Very informative. However, I've decided to attend a Spanish school in Granada. I took the bus from Almunecar to granada, so I plan to officially start my Camino on Ash Wednesday (18/2/15) from Granada using the Camino Mozabare. I've found the official Pilgrims Guide and plan to use that as my primary source of information.
I'm happy to report that I've figured out how to lighten my load so my pack is now so light I could probably run to Santiago :).
I was/am very inspired by the blog of Paula Constant! Thanks for pointing me in her direction.
For now I am trying to learn to speak some Spanish, and prepare for my official start on the Camino.
Hasta luego

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back