• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal or Inland Camino Portuguese? (November 2016)

Wrooney12

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Route (October-November 2016)
Hi there! I am going to be making a pilgrimage to Portugal/Spain very soon, from Oct 30-Nov 6. I will arrive in Lisbon on the morning of the 30th, rent a car and drive to Fatima for the day and then spend the night in Porto. I plan to begin my Camino on the morning of the 31st and finish on the afternoon/evening of the 5th, giving me the night and morning in Santiago de Compostela prior to returning homeward.

I am debating between the coastal and inland routes of the Camino Portuguese. If I do the coastal route, I will begin in Viana de Castelo, and if I do the inland route, I will begin in Ponte de Lima. (Either way, I will drop the rental car off and take a bus to one of those two places to begin). I am reasonably fit (a recent college grad who ran cross-country/track) and am confident I can do 30km/day comfortably i.e. without rushing or diminishing the contemplative dimension of the pilgrimage.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which I should do? Which route is preferable, especially at this time of the year? How are the albergues along the coastal route? Is it possible to cross over from the coastal to the inland route once I get sufficiently north? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you so much, and God Bless!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there! I am going to be making a pilgrimage to Portugal/Spain very soon, from Oct 30-Nov 6. I will arrive in Lisbon on the morning of the 30th, rent a car and drive to Fatima for the day and then spend the night in Porto. I plan to begin my Camino on the morning of the 31st and finish on the afternoon/evening of the 5th, giving me the night and morning in Santiago de Compostela prior to returning homeward.

I am debating between the coastal and inland routes of the Camino Portuguese. If I do the coastal route, I will begin in Viana de Castelo, and if I do the inland route, I will begin in Ponte de Lima. (Either way, I will drop the rental car off and take a bus to one of those two places to begin). I am reasonably fit (a recent college grad who ran cross-country/track) and am confident I can do 30km/day comfortably i.e. without rushing or diminishing the contemplative dimension of the pilgrimage.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which I should do? Which route is preferable, especially at this time of the year? How are the albergues along the coastal route? Is it possible to cross over from the coastal to the inland route once I get sufficiently north? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you so much, and God Bless!
Wrooney12. Welcome on the forum !
Where are you from ?
Have you had a look at the map of Portugal and an idea of the distances in that country ?

On the coastal it is a good start from Viana do Castela.
30 kms a day could brings you to Mougas in Spain if the ferry is sailing between Caminha and A Guarda.
Day 2 maybe to Vigo
Day 3 to Arcos and with some more effort to Pontevedra
Day 4 to Teo and day 5 an easy short stage to Santiago

In Viana do Castelo is no albergue . In Mougas yes. In Vigo not
In Arcos not ,Pontevedra and Teo yes.

In Caminho you could head to the central route to Valença do Minho or Tui
More northern you will enter the Central in Redondela ,coming from Vigo.

There is a train between Porto and Viana do Castelo but it is a long way by a regiona train via Barcelos with many stops.
There is a bus connection to Ponte de Lima but I do not know the details although I know the region very well.

Bom caminho

Albertinho,

Is the albergue Sao Joao da Cruz in Viana do Castello not open? See more here --
https://m.facebook.com/alberguesaojoaodacruz/?locale2=pt_BR

However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the OLarenjeiro, rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24. It is a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain! See http://www.olaranjeira.com/

Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked both the Coastal Way and the main route in the summer months. Both are great routes, but I would have a slight preference for the Coastal Way. However, I have seen a number of warnings on this Forum that the coastal route can be difficult in the winter months due to high winds and rain coming off the ocean. Hopefully someone with direct experience can provide some advice here. I don't know if November is classified as winter in Portugal.

Is the albergue Sao Joao da Cruz in Viana do Castello not open? See more here --
https://m.facebook.com/alberguesaojoaodacruz/?locale2=pt_BR

However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the OLarenjeiro, rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24. It is a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain! See http://www.olaranjeira.com/

Bom Caminho![/QUOTE]
Hi Margaret ,
I can't remember ever seen an albergue in Viana do Castelo. Probably had my eyes closed passing by.
In Laranjeiro we stayed one time. Very nice, excellent restaurant and lovely owners.
We came there on your advice here on the forum !

Wrooney12. Welcome on the forum !
Where are you from ?
Have you had a look at the map of Portugal and an idea of the distances in that country ?

On the coastal it is a good start from Viana do Castela.
30 kms a day could brings you to Mougas in Spain if the ferry is sailing between Caminha and A Guarda.
Day 2 maybe to Vigo
Day 3 to Arcos and with some more effort to Pontevedra
Day 4 to Teo and day 5 an easy short stage to Santiago

In Viana do Castelo is no albergue . In Mougas yes. In Vigo not
In Arcos not ,Pontevedra and Teo yes.

In Caminho you could head to the central route to Valença do Minho or Tui
More northern you will enter the Central in Redondela ,coming from Vigo.

There is a train between Porto and Viana do Castelo but it is a long way by a regiona train via Barcelos with many stops.
There is a bus connection to Ponte de Lima but I do not know the details although I know the region very well.

Bom caminho

Olá Albertinho, há um autocarro.There is a bus:
http://www.barquense.com/v2/index.p...roporto-novos-horarios?switch_to_desktop_ui=1

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for the help, everyone!

If I do the Coastal Route, which it seems I should, I will likely drop my rental car in Viana do Castelo on the morning of the 31st and just start walking from there.

Does anyone have firm insights into the situation with albergues along the Coastal Route? I really don't need anything too fancy. So long as there is a bed, I'll be happy.

Any insights into weather on the coastal vs. inland routes?

Finally, what would be a good itinerary, leaving from Viana do Castelo on Monday, to arrive in Santiago on Saturday, perhaps around midday? How does one ensure I get my "ticket" stamped to validate my trip?

Thank you so much!

Thank you for the help, everyone!

If I do the Coastal Route, which it seems I should, I will likely drop my rental car in Viana do Castelo on the morning of the 31st and just start walking from there.

Does anyone have firm insights into the situation with albergues along the Coastal Route? I really don't need anything too fancy. So long as there is a bed, I'll be happy.

Any insights into weather on the coastal vs. inland routes?

Finally, what would be a good itinerary, leaving from Viana do Castelo on Monday, to arrive in Santiago on Saturday, perhaps around midday? How does one ensure I get my "ticket" stamped to validate my trip?

Thank you so much!
In my earlier post here above I mentioned where the albergues are.
I can not assure that the albergues all are opened during your period of walking because the coastal caminho is less crowded than the central caminho.

About the weather.. it might rain, might shine. I looked in my crystal ball but your date of parture is to far ahead.

I gave you an idea about the itinirary and advised to go as far as Teo a Casalonga and walk the last 12 kms to Santiago your last day. Than you can be on time for the pilgrims mass in the cathedral and maybe you see the Botafumeiro swing, the highlite for every pilgrim.

Stamps -carimbo in Portuguese-sello in Spanish-Castillian-you can obtain everywhere. In albergues, hotels,hostals, townhalls ,bars ,restaurants.
Therefore you need a credential. You can obtain a credential in the webshop on this forum.
Or in the Sé cathedral in Porto.I don't think you can get a credential in Viana do Castelo.
Mind the last 100 kms before Santiago you must collect two stamps per day to prove that you walked the caminho. I remember that Mougas is that point of 100 kms but if I were you I should start collecting 2 stamps a day allready in Portugal. When you drink a coffee or so in a bar ,just ask for a stamp and in the next restaurant when you have your meal an other one and when you arrive in the albergue your next.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my earlier post here above I mentioned where the albergues are.
I can not assure that the albergues all are opened during your period of walking because the coastal caminho is less crowded than the central caminho.

About the weather.. it might rain, might shine. I looked in my crystal ball but your date of parture is to far ahead.

I gave you an idea about the itinirary and advised to go as far as Teo a Casalonga and walk the last 12 kms to Santiago your last day. Than you can be on time for the pilgrims mass in the cathedral and maybe you see the Botafumeiro swing, the highlite for every pilgrim.

Stamps -carimbo in Portuguese-sello in Spanish-Castillian-you can obtain everywhere. In albergues, hotels,hostals, townhalls ,bars ,restaurants.
Therefore you need a credential. You can obtain a credential in the webshop on this forum.
Or in the Sé cathedral in Porto.I don't think you can get a credential in Viana do Castelo.
Mind the last 100 kms before Santiago you must collect two stamps per day to prove that you walked the caminho. I remember that Mougas is that point of 100 kms but if I were you I should start collecting 2 stamps a day allready in Portugal. When you drink a coffee or so in a bar ,just ask for a stamp and in the next restaurant when you have your meal an other one and when you arrive in the albergue your next.

Bom caminho

Albertinho,

I'm sorry I didn't read your first post more carefully! Thank you so much for your excellent help, especially with the itinerary.

As for my nationality, I am originally from the US but will be arriving from Ireland. And it looks like the weather will be pretty good up the Coastal route!

Now, a couple final questions:

1. Would it be possible still to arrive in Santiago by Friday evening if I were to take the Coastal up to Caminho and then go inland toward Tui for the inland route through Spain, or might that be pushing it with distance and timing? I definitely plan to start the Camino from Viana do Castelo. I would like a balance of good walking (as I said, about ~30km/day) and contemplative time.

2. In places where there are no albergues, where does one stay? An AirBnB or something like it?

3. I understand that the only time the botafumeiro is used is at the Friday evening pilgrim Mass at 19:30. That does sound awesome, and it would give me the full day on Saturday to explore the city. I suppose it's very feasible to arrive there on time if I do the Coastal Route the whole way, but if I cut inward at Caminho, it seems I may not be able to arrive in Santiago until Saturday. Any thoughts there? (Sort of similar question to #1.)

4. I read online that it is possible for groups or individuals to "reserve" the botafumeiro for other occasions, but that sounds pretty expensive. Does anyone know about this? I will also send the folks at the cathedral an email to inquire about the schedule and the details.

Thank you again for your help! God bless!

Albertinho,

I'm sorry I didn't read your first post more carefully! Thank you so much for your excellent help, especially with the itinerary.

As for my nationality, I am originally from the US but will be arriving from Ireland. And it looks like the weather will be pretty good up the Coastal route!

1. Would it be possible still to arrive in Santiago by Friday evening if I were to take the Coastal up to Caminho and then go inland toward Tui for the inland route through Spain, or might that be pushing it with distance and timing? I definitely plan to start the Camino from Viana do Castelo. I would like a balance of good walking (as I said, about ~30km/day) and contemplative time.

2. In places where there are no albergues, where does one stay? An AirBnB or something like it?

3. I understand that the only time the botafumeiro is used is at the Friday evening pilgrim Mass at 19:30. That does sound awesome, and it would give me the full day on Saturday to explore the city. I suppose it's very feasible to arrive there on time if I do the Coastal Route the whole way, but if I cut inward at Caminho, it seems I may not be able to arrive in Santiago until Saturday. Any thoughts there? (Sort of similar question to #1.)

4. I read online that it is possible for groups or individuals to "reserve" the botafumeiro for other occasions, but that sounds pretty expensive. Does anyone know about this? I will also send the folks at the cathedral an email to inquire about the schedule and the details.

The distance between Caminha and Valença do Minho is about 30 kms so that will be an extra day .

In places where are no albergues are hostals or small hotels. No problem
Go to the tourist information for help finding a place

Albertinho,

Olá , you can have a botafumeiro for roundabout 300 €. For reservation have a look:
http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there Wrooney12. I know this is a year after you planned your Portugese Camino - did you do it? If so, how did you go? And what was the weather like? Sort of thinking about doing a similar route September 2018. Thanks. Bettsyd

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back