• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal or Inland Portugese Route?

Sharonih

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
I have the Camino bug I did my first Camino from SJPdP to Santiago March 15-April 19, 2018 and I want to keep on walking and have pretty much decided that the Portuguese will be my next one with my husband. I love the ocean so my heart is leaning towards the Coastal but my husband is feeling that the inland will have more amenities and people (which was a huge aspect of the CF for him). I am just wondering what people have felt was the preferred route to do. Regardless of the route we are planning on starting from Lisbon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There’s no riight answer and there’s tons of debate about this on this forum. Depends on what you like, and maybe on where you’re from. Far more pilgrims on the central, and more of a pilgrim “vibe”, like on the Frances. More historical towns on the central. The coastal has fewer pilgrims, and less pilgrim infrastructure, but many find it beautiful with the ocean (almost) always within sight. We’re from coastal California, and perhaps for that reason, we found the coastal route rather monotonous, with dull, touristy beach towns, and nothing but pavement or boardwalks underfoot, so 2 days north of Porto, at Esposende, we decided to switch back to the central, and continued on from there. The good thing is you don’t have to make up your mind until you’re in Porto, and even if you start on one, you can switch over to the other easily enough, with buses or taxis linking the towns along the two routes. Weather is also a factor. If the forecast is for warm, sunny weather, it will be cooler on the coast. If the forecast is for rain, you’ll have a cold wind off the ocean whipping your face on the coastal route, while on the central route you’ll be more sheltered.

There’s no riight answer and there’s tons of debate about this on this forum. Depends on what you like, and maybe on where you’re from. Far more pilgrims on the central, and more of a pilgrim “vibe”, like on the Frances. More historical towns on the central. The coastal has fewer pilgrims, and less pilgrim infrastructure, but many find it beautiful with the ocean (almost) always within sight. We’re from coastal California, and perhaps for that reason, we found the coastal route rather monotonous, with dull, touristy beach towns, and nothing but pavement or boardwalks underfoot, so 2 days north of Porto, at Esposende, we decided to switch back to the central, and continued on from there. The good thing is you don’t have to make up your mind until you’re in Porto, and even if you start on one, you can switch over to the other easily enough, with buses or taxis linking the towns along the two routes. Weather is also a factor. If the forecast is for warm, sunny weather, it will be cooler on the coast. If the forecast is for rain, you’ll have a cold wind off the ocean whipping your face on the coastal route, while on the central route you’ll be more sheltered.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, I am not the original poster but I appreciate your advice. I have chosen to do my first Camino from Porto, and I am fairly confident I want to do the Coastal route but I think it's a good idea to have some back up research should I chose to do what you did. I am going end of April/Early May and I was in Porto last ~early April and there was quite a bit of rain. I don't mind the rain at all, I guess just still wondering which route is "best". Thanks again!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just completed The Camino from Lisbon and walked the Central from Porto. This was the best walking since leaving Lisbon apart from the first section leaving Porto. The best would be to avoid that and do the first day on the coastal and then switch over to the central. I spoke to several people who did the coastal all the way to Redondela and did not enjoy it. The central has great countryside and some stiff climbs particularly out of Pont de Lima.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just completed The Camino from Lisbon and walked the Central from Porto. This was the best walking since leaving Lisbon apart from the first section leaving Porto. The best would be to avoid that and do the first day on the coastal and then switch over to the central. I spoke to several people who did the coastal all the way to Redondela and did not enjoy it. The central has great countryside and some stiff climbs particularly out of Pont de Lima.

Hi,
if you do start from Lisbon, you will not meet many other pilgrims until Coimbra or even Porto. The Central from Lisbon to Porto has some wonderful historic cities (Santarém, Tomar; Coimbra), Roman sites (Rabacal and Conigimbra) and beautiful countryside (Golega and after Tomar). After Porto, the Central is more filled than the Coastal but also offers more opportunities for accomodation. Especially in Summer it may be difficult, to find accomodation on the Coastal as hostels are also booked for holidays. In winter the Coastal will not offer much places to stay, as many hostels will be closed outside the summer season.
A good choice is to do the first few kilometres out of Porto on the Coastal and then - reaching Vila do Conde - to decide wether to continue along the coast or turn left after crossing the river and got to the central route. If you follow the river, you will soon find waymarks leading you to Rates on the Central.

BC
Alexandra

Is the Coastal flatter? I don’t want stiff climbs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is not much klimbing on the central, nothing compared to the Camino Francés. The highest hill is after Ponte de Lima, it is 400 m. I can also remember that getting into Santarém was a short but steep road and that the Cathedral in Coimbra is on the mountain.

In my memory the worst ups and downs were around redondela, where the coastal route hits the central. So you can not really expect the coastal route to be flat. There may be many short ups and downs.

BC
Alexandra

There’s no riight answer and there’s tons of debate about this on this forum. Depends on what you like, and maybe on where you’re from. Far more pilgrims ocean whipping your face on the coastal route, while on the central route you’ll be more sheltered.

Thank you this helps, I live on Coastal British Columbia and I love the concept that you can switch routes pretty much anywhere.

There is not much klimbing on the central, nothing compared to the Camino Francés. The highest hill is after Ponte de Lima, it is 400 m. I can also remember that getting into Santarém was a short but steep road and that the Cathedral in Coimbra is on the mountain.

How are the down hills compared to the Camino Francés (Zubiri, Alto de Perdon, Cruz de Ferro...)? I'm more concerned about the quality of the trail on the descent than the steepness of the climb.

Great discussion - thanks to all who commented

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After the steep rocky climb from Ponte de Lima there is a short very rocky descent but the rest is quite mild.

Yes, as far as I can remember, there is only this section between the Frenchmen´s Cross and Rubiaes. It is similar to walking down from the Alto de Perdón. A pole will be helpful but is not necessary.
Going down to Redondela was the other major descent , but that is on the road.

How are the down hills compared to the Camino Francés (Zubiri, Alto de Perdon, Cruz de Ferro...)? I'm more concerned about the quality of the trail on the descent than the steepness of the climb.

Great discussion - thanks to all who commented
I shot my knees doing the CF in 2016 and, in addition to the poles I picked up in Viana, I needed to wear a knee brace and take ibuprofen every day to get through the Camino. Two years later I did the CP from Porto mostly in the Central route (like many have suggested, I walked along the coast to Vila do Conde and switched there). I took my poles but left the knee brace and painkillers behind and had no knee problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
we walked the coastal last June and LOVED it! Some mild ups and downs but the views were awesome and we live in San Francisco. Yes, fewer people and amenities but good planning resolves all of that. The people and food was amazing! Natas are a must!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the Camino bug I did my first Camino from SJPdP to Santiago March 15-April 19, 2018 and I want to keep on walking and have pretty much decided that the Portuguese will be my next one with my husband. I love the ocean so my heart is leaning towards the Coastal but my husband is feeling that the inland will have more amenities and people (which was a huge aspect of the CF for him). I am just wondering what people have felt was the preferred route to do. Regardless of the route we are planning on starting from Lisbon.

If you do choose the Central route out of Porto, I stayed at 2 albergues that were really great. Casa de Lara and later on Casa de Fernanda.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, I am not the original poster but I appreciate your advice. I have chosen to do my first Camino from Porto, and I am fairly confident I want to do the Coastal route but I think it's a good idea to have some back up research should I chose to do what you did. I am going end of April/Early May and I was in Porto last ~early April and there was quite a bit of rain. I don't mind the rain at all, I guess just still wondering which route is "best". Thanks again!
My husband and I have decided to start on the Coastal from Porto (in March) and just decide on the way when we want to cross over to the Central. As they said above, there are several spots you can turn and head to Barcelos for example. Our decision on exactly when to turn to the Central will be the weather. If it's extremely rainy and with a cold wind, we will turn at Vila do Conde, but if it's still nice, we will go to either Esposende or Povea de Varzim and then turn. We think a little of both trails will make it the most interesting and enjoyable. We aren't even planning on reserving places along the way as March is early with few travelers. A day in advance should be sufficient. Good luck!

No "best." And starting that early, you don't need to commit - start along the coast if you thing that interests you, and you can move inland to the Central at several spots if you want to try that.

Albergue de San Antonio de Hebron

An amazing spiritual and religious experience. Note that the religious part is for those who chose to participate. No obligation to do so.

The pilgrim's mass ended with a pilgrims blessing. We all came forward and in our own languages read a special motivational reading about our journey. I was moved deeply.

The volunteers were so friendly. The homemade meal was delicious. The tour and history of the Convent is fascinating.

This wonderful place is 3 km off the Camino, but you can make it up the next morning. There is a bypass back to Hebron. The trail there is beautiful and well-marked.

This albergue is closed thru the months of Nov to March. Not to miss albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More input from my blog. I did both and I loved both, but they are indeed quite different. Lots of photos on my site to help you choose! Many Ways on the Camino Portugues.
Thank you for sharing your incredible blog! The pictures you have of the walk from Porto to Vila de Conde really helped me to feel confident that I will get beautiful seaside views on the boardwalk before I cut inland to join the Central after Vila de Conde. I also have to agree with you about not taking the Metro to Matosinhos! I am very much looking forward to that walk -- I was in Porto for a week last spring and I had planned to rent a bike and ride to Matosinhos, but another traveler I met convinced me to change my plans and take the metro instead. I don't regret the day I spent in Matosinhos with that traveler, it was very lovely, but I am very much looking forward to returning and doing it "my way"! Albeit, this time on foot! :)

For me the Central is more special, has do two best albuergues on the Camino Portugues- Casa Fernanda and Tamel - Casa da Recoleta, and has this amazing pilgrim atmosphere , and for me has a special connection with St.James.
Thats so much to see in Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valença, Tui , that i cannot wait to see waht the Central way has to provide to you! Im Portuguese, and i live very close to Barcelos, I.m a Pilgrim so if you have any questions on it dont hesitate to ask me and BUEN CAMINO.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back