• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal path from Porto to Vila do Conde

Jolay

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
I want to walk the coastal path from Porto to Vila do Cones in May 2018. Is this path all hard surfaces such as boardwalks or will there be stretches of soft sand? Is this path well marked? Also I have read that the path sometimes peters out and I would have to retrace my steps. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked from Se in Porto, you just get down to the river and follow it, then cross the bridge in Matosinhos, and just keep going along the ocean. It takes you all the way to Vila do Conde, it's marked all right. Some people start from Mercado metro stop (direction Matosinhos), boardwalk starts around there. Hard surfaces most of the way to Vila do Conde unless you decide to walk directly on the sand and that would slow you down. Boardwalks are quite springy actually but cobblestones you will remember in Portugal :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did it in 2017, the weather was lovely and the sea breeze refreshing. There are few spots where the signage is a bother but as long as you keep walking north you should not have a problem. If you continue farther north I lost the beach path in Povoa de Varzim and then again on the way into Vila Praia de Ancora and ended up walking on the N13.

If you want a leisurely stroll ;
Porto to Matsinhos -12Kms
Matsinhos to Vila Char 15Kms
Vila Char to Praia de Santo Andre 16.3kms
Praia de Santo Andre to Marinhas 20.4kms
Marinhas to Viana do Castelo 21.3kms
Viana do Castelo to Ancora 19.4kms
Ancora to Cahmina 13.1kms
Ferry to Spain

Lots of lovely boardwalks, great sea views and a walk that we would like to do again. Not a lot of shade though but that didn't matter so much in October 2017 when we walked. Would be a different proposition in summer I would imagine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are looking for a location to pick up your Credential, you can purchase one for 2 Euros at the desk in the rear of Se Cathedral in Porto. If you have the time, visit the Cloisters at the Cathedral. There is a small admission charge for admission to the Cloister. (The Cathedral itself is free.) There you will find a beautiful statue of St. James. Here are a few other sites in Porto that make for nice stops on your pilgrimage: Clérigos Church ( and climb the tower), Church of São Francisco, Capela das Almas, and Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar (across the river).

You won't get lost and you can change surfaces between boardwalk, the sand and coastal footpaths...if you use Luis Freixo's maps...see his Blog www.caminador.es. Maps are in various formats like pdf. Just arrived in Baiona having walked the shoreline route ( green route on Luis's maps) from Porto..was easy and nice and quiet and fewer yellow arrows! Stage Viana do Castelo to Caminha was amazing !!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ferry to Spain
Very useful information, Walton. I MAY just get a final camino next May, kidneys permitting, and short distances are essential. Thank you!

Very useful information, Walton. I MAY just get a final camino next May, kidneys permitting, and short distances are essential. Thank you!

Just for you Stephen

For the rest of our journey to Santiago de Compostela, we walked as follows;

Caminha (Portugal) ferry to Maritimo (Spain) to Oia 18.3kms
Oia to Baiona 17.8Km
Baiona to Nigran 5kms (We didn't like our acommodation and decided to move - hence the very short distance)
Nigran to Vigo 20.9kms
Vigo to Rendondela 15.7kms
Rendondela to Pontevedra 20.2kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 22.2kms
Caldas de Rais to Padron 19.1kms
Padron to Santiago 25.6kms

From Vigo to Santiago it is more or less the Brierley book suggested route. To make your walk easier on your body, I'd recommend baggage transportation perhaps with Tuitrans or similar.

Hope this helps someone with their planning

Cheers

Good sample stages by Walton. Official ferry €1 last year. Sails every hour but check a few days in advance with locals. Spain one hour ahead on the clock.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the rest of our journey to Santiago de Compostela, we walked as follows;
Thanks, Walton! Yes, I've walked to Santiago 5 times: but never along the coast. Nowadays I can only walk a maximum of around 12 kms a day: but we will see what happens next April/May, God is good!
Thanks for the final list of locations. I'm keeping the list for next year......
Blessings from England ..... East Anglia.
Buen camino y ultreia!

Last edited:
I want to walk the coastal path from Porto to Vila do Cones in May 2018. Is this path all hard surfaces such as boardwalks or will there be stretches of soft sand? Is this path well marked? Also I have read that the path sometimes peters out and I would have to retrace my steps. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hey there! Can I ask when you are planing on starting your camino? I am planning on this same route on/around May 20. Thanks!

Good sample stages by Walton. Official ferry €1 last year. Sails every hour but check a few days in advance with locals. Spain one hour ahead on the clock.
The Monday I arrived for the ferry in Caminha, it was not running because they had worked over the weekend for a beer festival. I was left the impression it does not run on Sundays.
For Stephen, there are not places to stay every 12km, you may find yourself on public transport for a few km's to get to a place with a room.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stephen , my dear friend ! How you are doing ?
We had a nice time in London and York the other day. Just the week after the heavy snowfall. Great time
If you walk along o caminho Português pela costa here some distâncias.
Porto to Matosinhos 10 km
Matosinhos to Angeiras 12 kms
Angeiras to Póvoa de Varzim 15kms
Póvoa de Varzim to Estela 10 kms
Estela to Esposende (Marinhas) 14 kms
Marinhas to Viana do Castelo 19 kms
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia 16 kms
Vila Praia de Âncora to Caminha 10 kms. To A Guarda by ferry 13 kms
A Guarda to Santa Maria de Oia 12 kms
Santa Maria de Oia to Baiona 18kms
Baiona to Vigo 21 kms. (Take the bus for 20 kms )
Vigo to Redondela 16 kms

The rest you know. You walked before to Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis ,Padrón to Santiago
You can stay in albergues in between in Mos ,San Amaro en Teo so these distances are reduced to about 10 to 12 kms a day .
Hope to see you again either in the UK or in the grand café inSantiago some day. I still owe you a "Newcastle Brown or a vinho tinto ":)

Forte abraço
Albertinho e Nel

Hey there! Can I ask when you are planing on starting your camino? I am planning on this same route on/around May 20. Thanks!

The plan is to leave Porto May 3 so I think we will miss each other this time. Maybe in the future we will walk together. Thanks for asking.

I did it in 2017, the weather was lovely and the sea breeze refreshing. There are few spots where the signage is a bother but as long as you keep walking north you should not have a problem. If you continue farther north I lost the beach path in Povoa de Varzim and then again on the way into Vila Praia de Ancora and ended up walking on the N13.

Thank you for the very useful information.
I am thinking of going farther north on the coastal path, but the Brierley map shows there is a gap between Vila do Conda and Esposende. I am assuming the beach path goes along between those two places,
and I would not have to go inland.
Any ideas on how to prevent losing the beach path in Povoa de Varzim? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ferry to Spain

Lots of lovely boardwalks, great sea views and a walk that we would like to do again. Not a lot of shade though but that didn't matter so much in October 2017 when we walked. Would be a different proposition in summer I would imagine.

Thank you for the leisurely stroll info. I will keep that list on my mind because that is the way I like to walk....enjoying my surroundings!

Hope to see you again either in the UK or in the grand café inSantiago some day. I still owe you a "Newcastle Brown or a vinho tinto ":)
Vino blanco y muy frio, por favor!
Albertinho - greetings, young one! I really want to walk the coastal path in May 2019, but I have problems causing feet to swell and giving pain on the top of them. We will wait and see what next year brings! I shall be 80 by then. But God is good :)
Give Nel a hug from me. And I will not forget the vino blanco!!!
God bless my friend Albertinho and Nel!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the very useful information.
I am thinking of going farther north on the coastal path, but the Brierley map shows there is a gap between Vila do Conda and Esposende. I am assuming the beach path goes along between those two places,
and I would not have to go inland.
Any ideas on how to prevent losing the beach path in Povoa de Varzim? :)
I spent the night in Fao and walked a long stretch of beach boardwalks after Povoa de Varzim but ended up inland going through a rather boring section around Apulia, the next morning on the way to Viana do Castello after Marinhas was where I lost the beach route and ended walking lots of cobblestone roads way off the beach through Chafe and Anha. I followed arrows and there never was a deviation indicating a beach route, but there must be one. The place where I got most confused was around Afife before Ancora, I eneded up walking along the N13. I was using the Wise Pilgrim guide.

Hola queridos amigos!
I enjoy very much the forum, thanks for the advices all of you give.
I will arrive to Porto on May 9 and have 12 days to walk and have to come back to Porto. This time I will not continue to Santiago and was thinking to walk 5-6 days north along the Costa and back south through the Interior. Is that a good idea?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola queridos amigos!
I enjoy very much the forum, thanks for the advices all of you give.
I will arrive to Porto on May 9 and have 12 days to walk and have to come back to Porto. This time I will not continue to Santiago and was thinking to walk 5-6 days north along the Costa and back south through the Interior. Is that a good idea?
We do the same next week
We walk the coastal to Caminha. I do not know how many kms a day you will do ?
But I wonder how do you get on the Interior route You'll have to go to Chaves which is situated at the north east of the country ,far from the coast. There is not much public transport and if it is complicated to get there. Will take a lot of time although it is only about 165 kms . And I am not shure you will find your way back to Porto from there because there is not much information about this route .
If I were you I should go to the central route .take the train to Valença do Minho from Caminha and from there walk back direction Porto. There you'll find blue waymarkers directing to Fátima and cover the central route backwards.

Last edited:
I’m starting mine May 19 from via Matosinhos to Vila do Conde first day,
Ed
Hi Ed! It sounds like I might be a day behind you? I will leave Porto (or Matosinhos - haven't decided if I will skip suburbs of Porto yet by train) on May 20. Perhaps we will still meet somewhere along the way - it would be nice to know I'm not totally alone. Buen camino!

Hi Anna
The walk from Porto to Matsinhos begins along the Douro River, before turning north along the coast. It goes past the Forte de Sao Francisco Xavier and then into Matsinhos.
I enjoyed this part of the walk with the river or coast on my left, bridges to walk under, river boat traffic to watch, people doing their daily exercise thing, lots of dogs on leads with wagging tails etc. There is very little industrial.
Personally, unless you have a reason to avoid this part, or the weather is awfuI, I would recommend beginning from Porto.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kind of my route exactly except I inadvertently diverted to the inland coastal for Marinhas to Viana and if you are looking for a little variety with beautiful villages some hills and beautiful forested walks then I would recommend doing as I did for this stage. The caminha ferry has a rest day on Mondays...i got train and bus to a Guarda but I understand that there is a local with a row boat who takes pilgrims when the ferry is out of action. If i were to do the route again I would take the spiritual variant from pontevedra instead of going via Caldas. Pic is of woodland stretch near Antas on the inland coastal to Viana referred to above.

Attachments

• WP_20170610_023.jpg
    WP_20170610_023.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Kind of my route exactly except I inadvertently diverted to the inland coastal for Marinhas to Viana and if you are looking for a little variety with beautiful villages some hills and beautiful forested walks then I would recommend doing as I did for this stage. The caminha ferry has a rest day on Mondays...i got train and bus to a Guarda but I understand that there is a local with a row boat who takes pilgrims when the ferry is out of action. If i were to do the route again I would take the spiritual variant from pontevedra instead of going via Caldas. Pic is of woodland stretch near Antas on the inland coastal to Viana referred to above.
It is not a rowboat but a boat with an outdoor engine.
As soon as you enter Caminha there is pointed out a camping site to the left. In front of the camping there is a restaurant. Ask there for the fisherman who can set you over the river to Spain. I thought his name is Pedro but also can be Mario ..we paid 5€ each for a trip of five minutes to the opposite site. Alternative is going to Vila Nova de Cerveira by train and the bus to A Guarda. Or walk 30 kms. So these 5€ are a good alternative.

Boa tarde stevov, I have just walked this way today. Birds chirping away in the trees for the last few kilometers. A bit wet on the trail but easily passable. I am now in Chafe for a short break. Yes, I am writing from the pastelara beside the church.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Friendly family owned place.
Is this in Chafé ? We will be there sunday in a week. From there we call a taxi to take us 30 kms more inland on the central route.
On sundays the trains go every four of five hours . So good to know there is a place where we can call and tell the taxidriver coming from Viana do Castelo to pick us up at the paderia next to the church in Chafé.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes it is in Chafé. In the village the Camino turns left but turn right and walk a few meters for pastelara. More accurate to say it is across the road from the church.

Yes it is in Chafé. In the village the Camino turns left but turn right and walk a few meters for pastelara. More accurate to say it is across the road from the church.
Thanks for your information. Most welcome.
Bom caminho

Albertinho , the weather is ok, I did not get drenched (soaked) Most days I wore hat to keep warm but I have some sunburn. I wish you well on your Camino.
As usual all the local people are friendly and supportive.

In the mean time we are back. Had a great time. We found your place in Chafé . Waited there to be picked up to go to an albergue on the Central route. The weather was great except for the last two days when the temperature dropped to 14° Celcius. Brrr

Ferry to Spain

Hi,

Any places to stay that you would reccomend or avoid?

Thanks,
Jon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Stephen , my dear friend ! How you are doing ?
We had a nice time in London and York the other day. Just the week after the heavy snowfall. Great time
If you walk along o caminho Português pela costa here some distâncias.
Porto to Matosinhos 10 km
Matosinhos to Angeiras 12 kms
Angeiras to Póvoa de Varzim 15kms
Póvoa de Varzim to Estela 10 kms
Estela to Esposende (Marinhas) 14 kms
Marinhas to Viana do Castelo 19 kms
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia 16 kms
Vila Praia de Âncora to Caminha 10 kms. To A Guarda by ferry 13 kms
A Guarda to Santa Maria de Oia 12 kms
Santa Maria de Oia to Baiona 18kms
Baiona to Vigo 21 kms. (Take the bus for 20 kms )
Vigo to Redondela 16 kms

The rest you know. You walked before to Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis ,Padrón to Santiago
You can stay in albergues in between in Mos ,San Amaro en Teo so these distances are reduced to about 10 to 12 kms a day .

Forte abraço
Albertinho e Nel
What a lovely post!

Hi,
we are planning to walk the coastal route Porto - SdC. The problem is that we have not so much time. We have 12 days in all, but I thought about spending one day in Porto and of course one day in Santiago. As I have read, there is about 260km from Porto to Santiago. Is it possible to go this distance in 10 days (or 11)?
This will be the first camino for us.

Is it possible to go this distance in 10 days (or 11)?
This will be the first camino for us.
I guess it might be possible - if you are fit, young, and don't suffer from blisters! But that won't give you time to relax and "smell the roses"!
Whatever you decide - bom caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Now $1.50 per person for the 20 minutes
Yesterday @9.00am 6 cyclists and 14 pilgrims
Weather is good for the coming week .......we hope
Short day for relaxing in A 'Guarda , lovely accommodation in ex Convent.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back