• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route compostella question

GJIANU

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues Coastal Route 2016
Hi
I want to walk the coastal route of the Camino Portugues with my son who is 9. We walked some of the Camino Norte last year, but this year he wants to do enough to get a compostella. Where would we need to start on the coastal route to qualify for the 100km+ distance? We are flying to Vigo and would ideally like to start somewhere we can reach quite easily via public transport.

thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That would be Tui, which should be easy to reach by public transport. Buen Camino to you both, SY

Senior moment, sorry, over-read the 'coastal' bit, so you will need to wait for somebody less senior to me for the correct answer ;-) SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with Wayfer and Johnnie Walker but obviously starting at A Guarda adds another 30 km so your be walking about 145km. Baiona is a beautiful place, I should know I live there !! Another option is to take a short bus ride (services are frequent from Bus Station) from Vigo to Panxón, Nigrán and walk along the coast following the Green arrows to Vigo then follow the River Lagares upstream then when you reach Celta de Vigo football ground just short of Castrelos Park pick up the Yellow Arrows all the way to Santiago. This is a route which my mate Luis Freixo helped to promote see his Blog http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117 which is perfectly feasible and really enjoyable and I've done it from Baiona a few times and got my Compostela. I love the section between Vigo and Redondela as you pass through woodland with amazing views looking across Vigo estuary and back towards Vigo.
Day 1 to Redondela approx. 32 km via Vigo (after 17 km) you can rest in Vigo before carrying on or stay the night there.
Day 2 to Pontevdra approx. 20 km so you have time to enjoy Old Town which is second best in Galicia after Santiago
Day 3 to Caldas de Rei approx. 23 km
Day 4 to Padrón approx 18 km
Day 5 to Santiago de Compostela approx.24 km
Buen camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another possible route, starting in Vigo. These are my stages last summer, after Vigo, including taking the Variante Espirtual route (between Pontrevedra and Padron) There is a magical 7 km stretch, from Armenteira ~ the Route of Stone & Water, along a river with little water falls, through stunningly beautiful old growth woods with the remains of stone water mills along the way. From Vilanova de Arousa, there is the possibility of taking a boat to Padron. If you take the boat you'll still be within the 100km requirement. This route, from Vigo is about 133 km to Santiago.

Vigo to Redondela. 18 km
Redondela to Pontrevedra. 18 km

Pontrevedra to Armenteira. 21 km
Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. 23 km
Vilanova de Arousa to Padron. 28 km

Padron to Faramello. 10 km
Faramello to Santiago. 15 km.

Buen Camino!

Thank you so much, everyone, I can't wait to do it. You have been very helpful.

I agree with Wayfer and Johnnie Walker but obviously starting at A Guarda adds another 30 km so your be walking about 145km. Baiona is a beautiful place, I should know I live there !! Another option is to take a short bus ride (services are frequent from Bus Station) from Vigo to Panxón, Nigrán and walk along the coast following the Green arrows to Vigo then follow the River Lagares upstream then when you reach Celta de Vigo football ground just short of Castrelos Park pick up the Yellow Arrows all the way to Santiago. This is a route which my mate Luis Freixo helped to promote see his Blog http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117 which is perfectly feasible and really enjoyable and I've done it from Baiona a few times and got my Compostela. I love the section between Vigo and Redondela as you pass through woodland with amazing views looking across Vigo estuary and back towards Vigo.
Day 1 to Redondela approx. 32 km via Vigo (after 17 km) you can rest in Vigo before carrying on or stay the night there.
Day 2 to Pontevdra approx. 20 km so you have time to enjoy Old Town which is second best in Galicia after Santiago
Day 3 to Caldas de Rei approx. 23 km
Day 4 to Padrón approx 18 km
Day 5 to Santiago de Compostela approx.24 km
Buen camino !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I'm planning my Camino in Sept 2016, I am thinking to flying into Porto,it was suggested I start in Valenca, I only have a week to walk and would like to have a day to go to Finisterre before my return.of course I would like the composites. Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated. C

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back