• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route from odemira

SitaClaire

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the camino mid April to mid May 2017 from Madrid
I can’t find a better place to post this... can anyone tell me what the name of the route in red is? I would like to start from odemira on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 71F84479-EB2A-4244-9D6F-73E22F832FC7.jpeg
    71F84479-EB2A-4244-9D6F-73E22F832FC7.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 24
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
On the 12th of June, I left Cabo de São Vicente, first taking the Rota Vicentina with the idea of reaching Santiago de Compostela, hiking along the Portuguese coast as close as possible. Going to Troia, I hiked trough Porto Covo by Trilhas dos Pescadores (Vila Nova de Milfontes/Porto Covo) , not by historical way (Odemira/Vila Nova de Milfontes/Santiago do Cacem) ; no marktrail after Porto Covo. It was not easy to join Lisbon especially after Troia. There are only few accommodations between Porto Covo and Lisbon : I had to use camping places. I was in Lisbon on 22 of june.
After Lisbon, it's possible to have a little basic bungalow in Orbitur camping places for 14 € per night when there's no other accommodation. After Lisbon going to Porto, there's nearly no marktrail.
I reached Porto the 10th of july. Hiking from Porto to Santiago is very easy (accommodations, marktrails : yellow arrows).
I was in Santiago on 21th of July : 40 days of hiking from Cabo Sao Vicente.
Henri

Thanks heaps for the information you have given henri. Is there any off road path in the nature area near odemira?

I have a tent - is it possible to walk between camping places?

Thanks again
Claire

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi again, please contact me at he.panpub at laposte.net, I will send you my stages (and distance), my gps tracks, my accommodations and some tips
henri

Hi,

Except in rare places, there’s no marked hiking trail from Santiago do Cacem to Porto por la Costa. I have always a hiking GPS and it’s very useful. From Lisbon (start from Sé de Lisboa on the right street), the central way is via Santarem, Alvazaiere, Tomar, Coimbra, Agueda, Oliveira de Azemeis, Porto with yellow arrows.

Except walking on shore break or beaches, there's no real pedestrian ways between Santiago de Cacem and Lisbon ; that means walking on busy roads or walking on beaches ! But walking on beaches is very very hard, especialy if there’s soft sand.

From my recent experience (06/12/18 to 07/21/18) it’s better to go to Lisbon by bus because roads are dangerous (heavy trafic, speed, …).

If not, walking on roads it’s possible to reach Troia via Melidès, Pinhera da Cruz, Carvalhal, Comporta. In Troia, you’ll have to take a ferry to go to Setubal. I took the catamaran wich was free to cross to Setubal as it was only a one way cross. There’s a camping place 8 km from the ferry dock : Camping Outao Carretera. Setubal, Km. 3, SETUBAL 2900 + 351 265238318.

There’s also : Pousada de Juventude de Setubal, Largo José Afonso, 24-25 2900-650 Setúbal

T. (+351) 265 421 080 / 910 587 087 F. (+351) 265 421 080 E. casa.largo@mun-setubal.pt

After Setubal, 2 ways to hike to Lisbon

first via Sesimbra (Parque Municipal de Campismo forte do Cavalo 2970-152 Sesimbra, Telefone +351 212 288 508 campismo.fortedocavalo@cm-sesimbra.pt)

- then Lagoa de Albufeira : Parque de Campismo das Hortênsias, Rua Ary dos Santos 17 A – 2975-258 Lagoa de Albufeira (Av. do Alcaide 2) +351 212684459

- then Costa da Caparica : camping Orbitur Costa de Caparica 450, Av. Afonso de Albuquerque, Costa da Caparica Téléphone : +351 21 290 1366

- then lisbon, taking a boat at Trafaria, to Torre de Belem and then Caixas and finaly Oeiras : Pousada de Juventude de Oeiras, Estrada Marginal, Parque Inatel 2780-267 Oeiras

T. (+351) 214 430 638 / 925 665 075 E. oeiras@movijovem.pt

or second way, try hiking straight to Lisbon but it’s a very long stage and always on a busy road . In Almada there’s also a Pousada de Juventude Quinta do Bucelinho – Pragal 2805-358 Almada T. (+351) 212 943 491 / 925 665 091 E. almada@movijovem.pt

After Almada, you’ll to take a bus to cross Tejo, because 25 de Abril bridge is forbidden for pedestrians or try to find a ferry in Seixal.

I stayed a day in Lisbon and went to Parede (Get Inn Hostel)

After Lisbon a mix of busy roads and cyling path (see

After Lisbon, this was my stages and accommodations :

- Parede-Guincho (Orbitur camping : bungalow)

- Guincho-Praia das Maças (Apples BBC Hostel). Near the hostel, it’s possible to take an old tramway to go to Sintra.

- Praia das Maças-Ericeira (Amar Hostel and Suites)

- Ericeira-Santa Cruz (Cliff Surf Camp)

- Santa Cruz-Areia Branca (Pousada de Juventude)

- Areia Branca-Peniche/Baleal (Tribo da Praia-Eco Hostel)

- Baleal-Foz do Arelho (Orbitur camping)

- Foz de Arelho-Nazaré (Lab Hostel)

- Nazaré-Sao Pedro de Moel (Orbitur camping)

- Sao Pedro de Moel-Pedrogao (Hostel Atlantico do Liz). When I was arrived in Pedrogao there were no vacancies for bungalow at parque de Campismo (Parque do Campismo da Praia do Pedrógão Praia do Pedrógão - 2425 Coimbrão Telef.: +351 244 695 403 Email: pedrogaocamping@outlook.com) so I went to Hostel Atlantico do Liz (45 €!!!)

- Pedrogao-Figuera da Foz (Orbitur camping)

- Figuera da Foz-Quiaios (Guesthouse Chez Gaston)

- Quiaios-Praia de Mira (Orbitur camping)

- Praia de Mira-Sao Jacinto (Orbitur camping)

- Sao Jacinto-Ovar (Pousada de Juventude)

- Ovar-Espinho (Pousada de Juventude : try to find another accommodation because it’s far away from the Camino)

- Espinho-Porto (Being Porto Hostel)

from Porto to Santiago by Caminho da Costa : yellow arrows

- Porto-Matosinhos (back to Porto by Tram for the night)

- Matosinhos-Povoa de Varzim (Albergue de peregrinos) pay attention arriving near Azurara/Vila do Conde : it’s difficult to find the yellow arrows, you’ll have to turn right to cross the river in Rua das Salinas after the 4 buildings and then walk to the bridge.

- Povoa de Varzim-Marinhas (Albergue de peregrinos)

- Marinhas-Viana do Castelo (Albergue de peregrinos)

- Viana do Castelo-A Guarda (Albergue de peregrinos). Pay attention of tide hours for the ferry start

- A Guarda-Baiona (hostel Baionamar)

- Baiona-Vigo (Kaps Hostel)

- Vigo-Pontevedra (Aloxa hostel) via Moanas. Don’t hike this way if you’re not very experiment hikers, GPS required. It’s easier to hike to Redondela and join to the Caminho Portugues Central.

- Pontevedra-Caldas del Reis (Albergue de peregrinos)

- Caldas del Reis-Teo/Faramello (Albergue La Calabaza del Peregrino)

- Teo/Faramello-Santiago (Seminario Minor)

Regards,

Henri

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back