• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route from Porto

Innav

Time of past OR future Camino
3/27/2023
Hello There.

Doing the first Camino ever and with my teenage daughter end of March. Flying in and out of Porto. Would like to do the coastal route. We have 8 walking days available. Trip suggestions are appreciated. Also, need to figure out a way to get back to Porto for the flight. Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bus or train back to Porto is available from most everywhere on the route. Have you considered starting closer to Santiago so that you can walk in to the plaza and collect your Compostela?

Have you considered starting closer to Santiago so that you can walk in to the plaza and collect your Compostela?
Yes, please don't discount the idea of finishing in Santiago. It may not be important to you now, but there's something very special about finishing in Santiago with those that you have net along the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Innav and Welcome !
I walked from Porto in 2021 it is a lovely Camino! ( i love the sea)
As suggested above if you want a Compostela you need to walk the last hundred Km and get two stamps a day.
Walking to the Cathedral and into the Obradoiro Plaza was amazing and emotional; i walked in with a Puerta Rican lady called Gina at nearly 7 pm on October the 10th and it was full of pilgrims cheering and waving flags (one Spanish flag was about 3 metres wide).
I think you can start in Vigo or Tui!

The second half of my Camino was the best bit for variety mountain,forest and sea side walking (especially the Espiritual Variant which starts just north of Pontevedra and very easy to find (large billboard by a small bridge) I will defo do this part again one day it is beautiful!)
Combarro and Armentiera and Villanova de Arousa were places to stay.
I stayed in the Monastery in Armentiera the Hospederia has private rooms but not sure if available end of March
These were my stages (sorry my spreadsheet has lost the distances but none were more than 20 to 25km i am pretty sure.)
VIGO
REDONDELA
PONTEVEDERA
COMBARRO
A ARMENTEIRA
VILANOVA DE AROUSA (Boat ride to Pontecesures)
PADRON
SANTIAGO
Whatever route you take have a blast.
You will meet great people and have fun.
Buen Camino
Woody

Hello and welcome!

There are several options: ride the train from Santiago Station or the take an ALSA or FLIXBus.
Train is only 2 times per day, Bus is up to 4 departures per day.

Bus is more convenient, you don't have to change like the train. It's ~25€.

HTH

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like your time frame is similar to what I'm walking with my wife in June. We have planned the following itinerary...
Povoa do Varzim
Esposende
Viana do Castelo
Praia de Ancora
A Guarda
Oia
Baiona
Train is available back to Porto from Vigo

I love the idea of doing the Camino with your teenage daughter. I was supposed to do a week last year with my teenage daughter, but caught COVID two days before departure...we are still planning on rescheduling that one.

Thank you. I am really looking forward to this trip. My ultimate goal is to do Patagonia track with her sometime in the future. I hope Camino will give us a great start.
Best of luck in your travels!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would you advise buying the bus tickets ahead of time? If so, how far in advance can we buy them?
Thank you!

Would you advise buying the bus tickets ahead of time? If so, how far in advance can we buy them?
Thank you!
Which bus ticket? From Santiago back to Porto? If you are sure of the date Alsa sometimes has sales, so it would be worthwhile to purchase in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Innav and Welcome !
I walked from Porto in 2021 it is a lovely Camino! ( i love the sea)
As suggested above if you want a Compostela you need to walk the last hundred Km and get two stamps a day.
Walking to the Cathedral and into the Obradoiro Plaza was amazing and emotional; i walked in with a Puerta Rican lady called Gina at nearly 7 pm on October the 10th and it was full of pilgrims cheering and waving flags (one Spanish flag was about 3 metres wide).
I think you can start in Vigo or Tui!

The second half of my Camino was the best bit for variety mountain,forest and sea side walking (especially the Espiritual Variant which starts just north of Pontevedra and very easy to find (large billboard by a small bridge) I will defo do this part again one day it is beautiful!)
Combarro and Armentiera and Villanova de Arousa were places to stay.
I stayed in the Monastery in Armentiera the Hospederia has private rooms but not sure if available end of March
These were my stages (sorry my spreadsheet has lost the distances but none were more than 20 to 25km i am pretty sure.)
VIGO
REDONDELA
PONTEVEDERA
COMBARRO
A ARMENTEIRA
VILANOVA DE AROUSA (Boat ride to Pontecesures)
PADRON
SANTIAGO
Whatever route you take have a blast.
You will meet great people and have fun.
Buen Camino
Woody

Hello Woody,
We followed your route and also stayed at the Monastery. The trip was a blast. I am so grateful for doing it. Thank you for your recommendation and cannot wait to start planning the next round.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back