• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route hotel recommendations

auburnfive

Veteran Member
hello
We will be walking the coastal route from Porto up through Vigo staying in small hotels/ pensions. There are listings on booking.com - but wondering if there are any places that are stand outs from anyone who has done the same. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked it this past June without making any reservations. The places to stay are limited but I never had problem finding a bed. Sorry to say I had no noteworthy stays.

We are currently walking that route and have been pleased with our accommodation choices so far. We have stayed at Hostel Ofir in Fao (basic but fine), Casa de Reina in Chafe (quite luxurious and beautiful old buildings and grounds), Albergue Casa do Sardao in Carreco (right on the Way, beautiful historic stone building but newly established as an Albergue. Really lovely and they have some private rooms as well as the dorms) and Muralha Caminha in Caminha (very comfortable, on the seafront, near ferry and well priced. Gorgeous town)
I can keep you updated as we go
Jan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Senda Litoral in July/August we stayed in private accommodations listed on Booking.com and would recommend these:
  • Fishtail Sea House in Matosinhos
  • Residencial Princesa do Ave in Vila do Conde - Alfredo was so helpful!
  • Dona Emilia Casa in Viano do Costelo - Beautiful, albeit noisy right on the plaza.
  • Hostal Real in Vigo - the hostess was fantastic, though not a speck of English spoken.
If you are planning to stay near Nigran, do NOT book Pazo Pias through Booking.com. They charged 48 euro for a miserable little room and the shared bathrooms were filthy. The pilgrim rate for this accommodation was only 15 euro if you showed up without a reservation! Not worth 48E, but reasonable for 15E.

If you are continuing past Vigo, I highly recommend the Variante Espiritual and these places:
  • Hostal Antolin in Redondela, a bit off the camino, but worth the walk.
  • Hope House in Vilanova de Arousa - not on Booking.com, but they welcome Pilgrims with love and care.
  • Pension Jardin in Padron - very elegant place in a great location. A nice last night before Santiago.

Bom Caminho!

Hi
I have stayed at and can highly recommend:
Casa Puertas in Oia
El Retiro in Nigran
Bahia de Chapela in Chapela (between Vigo and Redondela – just off the camino, but easy enough to get to if you don’t mind a steep descent down to Chapela, and back up again the next morning!)
Jill

Places I stayed that I would recommend
Ibis centro Porto...well located in old city, great bed, reasonable breakfast inc pastel de nata,
Casa puertas oia
Casa de Marques, baiona/Sabaris, great place right on the beach,
Hotel infinit Vigo, modern, great breakfast, right in casco vello
Casal Dos Celenis, off beaten track outside of Caldas, but beautiful casa and grounds inc pool

The others i liked /were ok, clean,quiet, all with en suite, except in Viana*

Hotel brazao, Vila do Conde...excellent breakfast

Dona Emilia *, Viana...not ensuite, diy breakfast, nice room, great location

Hospideria Martin Pinario Santiago...great location next to cathedral, great building, take breakfast elsewhere maybe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are currently walking that route and have been pleased with our accommodation choices so far. We have stayed at Hostel Ofir in Fao (basic but fine), Casa de Reina in Chafe (quite luxurious and beautiful old buildings and grounds), Albergue Casa do Sardao in Carreco (right on the Way, beautiful historic stone building but newly established as an Albergue. Really lovely and they have some private rooms as well as the dorms) and Muralha Caminha in Caminha (very comfortable, on the seafront, near ferry and well priced. Gorgeous town)
I can keep you updated as we go
Jan

Good tips, thank you so very much! I am taking a break right now here in Porto with plans of going on tomorrow or possibly the next day. Since your stays/stages are so fresh in your mind would you kindly mind sharing the towns (in order!) that you have stayed in up to date? I am actually right in the process of trying to figure my plan out as so I will hopefully know how many days I'll have left for Santiago. And I am curious if you are doing shorter or longer stages? Thanks in advance & a very BUEN CAMINO to you!!

Kind Regards,
A Fellow Pilgrim

I kind of followed the Brierley senda stages...worked for me

Porto to Vila do Conde...nice town

Vila do Conde to Esposende...if you can, explore the unique culture of Povoa en route

Esposende to Viana...lovely inland route

Viana to Caminha...caminha is a a lovely place

Caminha across border to oia

Oia to Baiona

Baiona to vigo

Vigo (goes uphill inland) to redondela...tho I stayed further on at casa As Chivas

As Chivas via arcade to Pontevedra...a must see

Pontevedra to Caldas

Caldas to Padron

Padron to Santiago....

Good tips, thank you so very much! I am taking a break right now here in Porto with plans of going on tomorrow or possibly the next day. Since your stays/stages are so fresh in your mind would you kindly mind sharing the towns (in order!) that you have stayed in up to date? I am actually right in the process of trying to figure my plan out as so I will hopefully know how many days I'll have left for Santiago. And I am curious if you are doing shorter or longer stages? Thanks in advance & a very BUEN CAMINO to you!!

Kind Regards,
A Fellow Pilgrim
Just to say that the ferry from caminha to Spain (a pasaje) doesn't run on Mondays (It's a rest day).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Povoa de Varzim (first stop after Porto for me) - Grande Hotel Povoa - on the seafront
Esposende - Suave Mar - beautiful setting and hotel
Viana do Castelo - O Laranjeira
Vila Praia de Ancora - Hotel Meira - lovely
A Guarda - Eli Mar - good
Oia - not to be missed - Casa Puertas
Baiona - a real expensive treat - Parador Conde
Vigo - Hotel Puerta Gamboa - old town - lovely part
Redondela- Hotel Santo Apostal - bed best ever!
Pontevedra - mistake of hotel!
Caldas de Rei - the exceptional not to be missed - Torre de Rio - a dream!
Padron - Hotel Pazo le Estove - good
then there's Santiago.
Bom Caminho

I am mainly writing for anyone interested in this post as I think the OP may be beyond some of the stages on the Coastal route.
Villa do Conde - Hospidaria Venceslau
Viana do Castello - Rali Hotel (got to hear a free Fado concert during dinner!)
Ancora - Hotel Meira 60 euro for 4* and 15 euro pilgrims meal better than most.
A Guarda - Hotel Convento San Benito run by nuns and complimentary port wine!
Oia - not sure of the hotel name but our room overlooking the awesome atlantic with our French doors open, I thought we hit the proverbial jackpot! That and the 10 euro meal there with huge portions of fresh codfish and pork chops!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back